• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Luke Schmid said:
The word rape is being used by more than one poster in more than one post on this board to describe beating other riders in a race. I do not think this is an appropriate word to use in this way because it is a hideous crime. I would rather it not be used.

Nah, it's not that bad, because they have been using that term for quite a while now and this is the first complaint the mods have received about it.

It has become part of the forum's heritage and can therefore never be censored again. That's how things work around here. Disagreeing is futile.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Well, since you posted it in the mods thread, it sounded like a request to the mods to take action.

Susan

I wanted the mods to read it and perhaps others as well. If I want my opinion acted upon I will report a post. Self moderation would be good.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
seems a fair enough point. I know the term is common in certain groups but not necessarily here. The moderators will discuss and get back to you (via some form of announcement I imagine)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
How long before some pantywaist complains about the phrase "clubbed him like a baby seal" because, you know, beating baby seals to death is hideous?

I object to your use of the word pantywaist - I have even found that it is an offensive term - therefore I am offended.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definitions/pantywaist
Pantywaist can mean:

an offensive slang term for an effeminate man
an obsolete term for a child's one-piece bodysuit.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I think it's about context. The word 'rape' is traditionally used to describe a horrible crime. It has also been absorbed into more common sports vernacular to describe a decisive defeat of an opponent. It is in my opinion an ugly word, one that I choose not to use, but I think most adults can appreciate the context in which it is used and can differentiate between someone describing a sporting accomplishment on a cycling forum and someone championing an act of violence. As with anything else, you will never please 100% of the audience.

Pantywaist however, that's just rude. No way Andy's gonna keeping blogging here if we let that one stand.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Interesting that all of those defending the use of the word "rape" are men. I would like to hear from the female users.....

Susan

I haven't seen anyone (male or female) defend that word.

In fact there is absolutely no need for that word to be used in any way to describe anything related to a bike race.

Are you going to outlaw every bit of colorful language that makes writing interesting? Maybe everyone should use the proper Queen's English with no slang, like we are all sitting in an oak panelled drawing room drinking tea. There will always be over-sensitive whingers that complain about everything and anything.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Are you going to outlaw every bit of colorful language that makes writing interesting? Maybe everyone should use the proper Queen's English with no slang, like we are all sitting in an oak panelled drawing room drinking tea. There will always be over-sensitive whingers that complain about everything and anything.

Seriously, I don't think you can say using the word rape to describe a bike race is just 'colorful language'.

To be fair to the Mods they dismissed 'Boomcies' complaint and they let a lot of other things slide - they apply some common sense to the posts, the posters should apply some too.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That's logical.

Discussing religion never leads to anything good. To the point of world wars

How is it logical? People may or may not have different POVs, therefore no discussion of topic shall be permitted.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
That's logical.

Discussing religion never leads to anything good. To the point of world wars
You could say the same thing about many topics. Isn't that why we have forum rules and guidelines, to establish limits in what constitutes an acceptable post? I don't see a need to declare a topic as broad as religion off-limits simply because some people have proven themselves incapable of finding common ground.

But, when did anyone say that religion is off-limits? Did I miss something?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
You could say the same thing about many topics. Isn't that why we have forum rules and guidelines, to establish limits in what constitutes an acceptable post? I don't see a need to declare a topic as broad as religion off-limits simply because some people have proven themselves incapable of finding common ground.

But, when did anyone say that religion is off-limits? Did I miss something?

I'm not sure? In the Chaos thread, mods said to stay away from "religious motifs". But maybe it depends on if it's deemed offensive or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.