• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 300 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Wow, permaban!?! :eek:

It was one mistake and not something of a serial offender. He is a very curious young kid, who didn't deny Holocaust, but linked to a site questioning it. Sure that was a mistake, but I'm certain a ban of a week or a month would learn him that, and that he wouldn't do anything similar again. Wouldn't the best be to have him back where he acts according to the rules (which he clearly didn't break on purpose) if that is possible?

What does it help to permaban him instead of giving him one month? Do you really think he ever again would do something similar? Do you think it would work more as a deterrent than the month would?

Please reconsider this. It's not like he was a big troublecauser in general.

more stupidity from the mods, hardly surprising

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
It was one mistake...

Uh huh.
The incessant inquires about him wanting to use a Hitler quote as a signature?
Doing his best to make this place all about him?
Feigning ignorance and being unwilling to move on from his own issues?

Anyone surprised by the results shouldn't be.

Granville57 said:
Uh huh.

This pretty much nails it imo..
some of you might disagree because the same two sentences apply to your agenda as well :mad:

I for one am pretty tired of the 'innocents' thinking they can craft clever comments and surf the fine line between trolling and disruption without getting a ban.

hrotha said:
One does not post a link to that kind of site by "mistake".

If it had only been one site... But it would've been enough!

To all of you who think the ban isn't justified:

You either really don't know what he posted, agree with it, or are utterly ignorant and have no political conscience at all. Anyone with some kind of historical knowledge could the the equality to the arguments that led to the worst crime in human history. It's sad because he's young, but if there is a chance that he'll be saved, nothing shorter than a permanent ban will show him how serious the problem is.

The only thing that is really very questionable about the whole thing is how incredibly long it took for this complete no brainer to happen.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The odd thing is that, except for this, which started maybe about a month ago, he was a top notch quality poster and a nice bloke.

Don't know exactly how this happened. Sometimes, on the internet, you maneuver yourself into a corner and things can spiral out of control. Not saying this is it, but it could be part of it. The internet has different dynamics than real life conversations.

A sad story

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
northstar said:
BigMac was an excellent forum member who made one wrong post and tried to defend himself after the matter was blown way out of proportion.

From what I witnessed, the post in question happened months ago. It was a post with a link to a conspiracy theory in a conspiracy thread with little to no discussion about the material. The mods recently discovered the post(s) and deleted them without providing a reason to BigMac. He asked for an explanation in the mod thread and members attacked him for posting the link and made some serious accusations against him. BigMac tried to defend himself which is understandable given the accusations. A warning or a short ban for the original post was appropriate. A permaban is excessive and unreasonable.

I think this is an underestimate of the number of posts involved and an overstatement of the reaction. The initial reaction was quite tolerant - it took a number of exchanges and contretemps to generate the final reaction.

Dear Wiggo said:
Nor carry on the way he did, showing no respect for the mod's wishes or directions or posts, imo.

I didn't see his posting attitude improving. It was spiraling downwards.

I concur. He did drag it out.

Granville57 said:
Uh huh.

I will use my words to tell his side of the story (part of it), based on a PM exchange. He honestly believes the Holocaust deniers have a researched and valid case. He prefers Holocaust "revisionists". In his defense, I never saw him say he agreed with that side - he just believed there was a "side" there. It was his inability to revise that view - or just to shut up about it - that really led things down the path of no return.

Paging the Flat Earth Society! Telegram for Flat Earth Society!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhGGJe-ant8

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Why would anyone with half a braincell ask if they could place a quote from A. H. in his signature? Come on. This isnt Stormfront dot org or what?

Good riddens.

Close the political/religion section, I dont want to know if someone hates/loves some people, this is a CYCLING site.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Never saw the Hitler stuff he wrote, but I understand why people are offended, even more if he was asked to stop and apparently (?) continued.

But as he seems very regretful on twitter, maybe the mods can re-think the perma ban?

We all make mistakes after all.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
The odd thing is that, except for this, which started maybe about a month ago, he was a top notch quality poster and a nice bloke.

Don't know exactly how this happened. Sometimes, on the internet, you maneuver yourself into a corner and things can spiral out of control. Not saying this is it, but it could be part of it. The internet has different dynamics than real life conversations.

A sad story

Yeah very weird. He was generally very nice and respectful. In the God/religion thread for instance where me and bigmac completely disagreed and which is exactly the type of controversial topic where things can spiral out of control as you say, I never felt like he was being disrespectful or anything.

I never saw the discussions and posts that led up to his ban, so I refrain from any opinion on this. At the very least I am very surprised things got out of hand like this with him. :(

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Why would anyone with half a braincell ask if they could place a quote from A. H. in his signature? Come on. This isnt Stormfront dot org or what?

It could have been that asking for a quote from A.H to be in his signature was his way (not that he was actually going to have one) for arguing for a greater freedom of speech around here. :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Tbf several of such quotes are all fine, and no one would have anything against them if someone else was the author.

This is awesome, we're still getting trolled by BigMac from beyond.

He's whining on Twitter about his ban? And this is relevant how?

Others are taking up his cause here and continuing the "discussion"?

It's not like we're talking about Maserati or BroDeal. How about we move on?

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Tbf several of such quotes are all fine, and no one would have anything against them if someone else was the author.
Not argueing on that, I bet not a lot of folks know that though...

I can put up 100 quotes of that loony A.H. and most people wouldnt know who I cite, the mather on Big Mac is the reverse; by asking he looks to have just one motive: sh!t stirring.

Well, he got that.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Not argueing on that, I bet not a lot of folks know that though...

I can put up 100 quotes of that loony A.H. and most people wouldnt know who I cite, the mather on Big Mac is the reverse; by asking he looks to have just one motive: sh!t stirring.

Well, he got that.

**** stirring at a forum where moderators already lack reasonable tolerance is never a good move! :rolleyes:

hrotha said:
It wasn't a Nazi swastika, but considering the context it's quite obvious to me he was dying for someone to bring it up just so that he could rebut them.
Uh what? Sorry but neither Nazism nor Hitler is what springs to (my) mind when I see a picture such as:

BphIKMPCMAAh6lD.png:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS