• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
apparently not in the thread u started'who do you want to slap' lol
Agreed.
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yes, threatening violence against those responsible for the forum is always hysterical..........

Susan

Oh Please, Susan! Don't make this place a over governed, politically correct forum where people are not allowed to have a joke. Some people like you take things way out of context. Timmy's thread idea was a completely hypothetical thread and in no way condoned violence against women. Come back from lala land please and unlock the thread.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
You guys already on Martin's infraction? Cause I see his post is still intact. I believe most sages and scholars would frown upon that, seeing as I received an infraction for something very similar this morning.

Or are we really going to turn this place into a corrupt oligarchy?

my post has been deleted:

I will now be taking a self imposed 24hour timeout from the forum.

NOTE: there is zero reason for anyone to engage in any further discussion of either post.

auscyclefan94 said:
Oh Please, Susan! Don't make this place a over governed, politically correct forum where people are not allowed to have a joke. Some people like you take things way out of context. Timmy's thread idea was a completely hypothetical thread and in no way condoned violence against women. Come back from lala land please and unlock this thread.

Huh? Where did I ever say that?

Susan

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Martin318is said:
my post has been deleted:

I will now be taking a self imposed 24hour timeout from the forum.

NOTE: there is zero reason for anyone to engage in any further discussion of either post.

I can live with that. I would have loved to see the stigmatic "edited by mod"-tag in that post though, instead of it merely being deleted. Though I understand that's a delicate matter.

That 24h ban indicates a second infraction. Martin you rascal!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
thirteen said:
most people here just aren't intelligent enough to get her humour.

but, yes, she [Susan] does have a job to do and it's inane to fault her for it.

I personally feel Susan often lacks a sense of perspective.

Still I respect her for trying to keep it all under control. Not sure I'd do a better job myself.

For me personally, Ryo's remark was still acceptable. But I understand how it is unacceptable within the current social discourse.
I'm really pro freedom of speech and the societal constipation that comes with certain terms and subjects worries me.

boomcie said:
I personally feel Susan often lacks a sense of perspective.

Still I respect her for trying to keep it all under control. Not sure I'd do a better job myself.

For me personally, Ryo's remark was still acceptable. But I understand how it is unacceptable within the current social discourse.
I'm really pro freedom of speech and the societal constipation that comes with certain terms and subjects worries me.
i'm all for freedom of speech and i let a lot of stuff roll off my back for that reason...

but i did find Ryo's comment offensive and completely unnecessary... maybe if you had lost relatives at the aforementioned place, you would feel the same.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
It might well be the case that a few of you are spoiling it for the rest. Over the last 5 days, we have been dragged into one problem after the other. This is the off-season, and instead of being able to take a more hands-off approach, we find one regular after the other stepping well over the mark.

For a few weeks we did step back a bit, kinda, but it looks like some people keep seizing those moments to see who can get away with what. Having less distractions around, but people still keen to post, is causing all sort of odd side paths. And fewer people inevitably means that those that annoy you are in your face a bit more, which also is causing additional friction, it seems.

Since the few mods around PCs are getting fed up having to log-in hourly at the moment, for threads across the entire spectrum of the forum, you'll probably find that these mods are deciding that off-topic threads that indeed can be fun, or ought to be fun, but are starting to derail, are being dealt with.

The slapping thread falls under the category of threads that we have far too much experience with, threads that nose-dive sooner rather than later, and cause far too much friction here. Inevitably people name pet-peeves and pet-annoyances, including other people present on the forum, and away we go. It already has caused far too many log-ins for us to be classified as "just harmless fun". It is causing more trouble than it is adding worth to the forum. There are plenty of subjects left beyond "who deserves a slapping".

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
thirteen said:
i'm all for freedom of speech and i let a lot of stuff roll off my back for that reason...

but i did find Ryo's comment offensive and completely unnecessary... maybe if you had lost relatives at the aforementioned place, you would feel the same.

I'm sorry thirteen, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I've lost many members of my family to cancer, but I don't mind people making harsh jokes about the disease. Naturally, I don’t enjoy them, but I don’t take offence to them either.

What happened at the aforementioned place was tragic beyond words, but society has responded badly to it.
In Belgium Holocaust denial is punishable with imprisonment, that's just plain wrong and it defies our most fundamental right: freedom of speech.
I certainly found what Ryo said distasteful, but not unacceptable in any way.

But I’ll repeat: I understand that in our current (Western) social discourse it is totally unacceptable to make such comparisons and will not make them myself. In that perspective the ban was well-deserved.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The freedom of speech issue generally applies to citizens in relation to their government. This is a private message board, and certain rules apply. One of those rules is to not insult people, including moderators (some of whom are people too). That's really all there is too it.

It's like your mommy telling you not to use 'those words' when you are living under her roof. I doubt anyone would rush to call her out for restricting your fundamental human rights.

So let's not get too carried away here, and just consider the moderator team as your surrogate digital mothers.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
The freedom of speech issue generally applies to citizens in relation to their government. This is a private message board, and certain rules apply. One of those rules is to not insult people, including moderators (some of whom are people too). That's really all there is too it.

It's like your mommy telling you not to use 'those words' when you are living under her roof. I doubt anyone would rush to call her out for restricting your fundamental human rights.

So let's not get too carried away here, and just consider the moderator team as your surrogate digital mothers.

Well said Bala.
I happen to be a great son.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
It might well be the case that a few of you are spoiling it for the rest. Over the last 5 days, we have been dragged into one problem after the other. This is the off-season, and instead of being able to take a more hands-off approach, we find one regular after the other stepping well over the mark.

For a few weeks we did step back a bit, kinda, but it looks like some people keep seizing those moments to see who can get away with what. Having less distractions around, but people still keen to post, is causing all sort of odd side paths. And fewer people inevitably means that those that annoy you are in your face a bit more, which also is causing additional friction, it seems.

Since the few mods around PCs are getting fed up having to log-in hourly at the moment, for threads across the entire spectrum of the forum, you'll probably find that these mods are deciding that off-topic threads that indeed can be fun, or ought to be fun, but are starting to derail, are being dealt with.

The slapping thread falls under the category of threads that we have far too much experience with, threads that nose-dive sooner rather than later, and cause far too much friction here. Inevitably people name pet-peeves and pet-annoyances, including other people present on the forum, and away we go. It already has caused far too many log-ins for us to be classified as "just harmless fun". It is causing more trouble than it is adding worth to the forum. There are plenty of subjects left beyond "who deserves a slapping".

Obviously if I ever see or meet Sepp Blatter I'm not going to slap him, I'm not that stupid. I think he's a slimy corrupt rat but I won't slap or hit him. I don't see how hard it is to work that out.

No sympathy for Ryo, it was obvious he would cop a 1 day suspension on the sidelines.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
1 day bans are pretty short. Susan still ignored my question about the slapping thread.:( We are having a little discussion about it on twitter which is quite amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS