• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Is this The Clinic boys? Answer is no. We don't discuss doping issues anywhere other than The Clinic.

(how did I do with this moderator try-out?)

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Both of those suggestions would require either coding beyond anyone's knowledge, or for mods to spend probably 10 times the amount of time they already do to make sure the posts are in order and offenders were not breaking the rule.

Even then, if someone banned from a sub forum and posted there, and we deleted the post, at least a few people will be here posting that what we're doing isn't fair, isn't balanced, the person should be allowed to post, didn't post anything wrong, etc. etc. etc.

its fairly simple to do with mostmodern forum software.

however, if you ban someone from the clinic, they will just take their ramblings to another section of the forum.

A

Anonymous

scribe said:
Is this The Clinic boys? Answer is no. We don't discuss doping issues anywhere other than The Clinic.

(how did I do with this moderator try-out?)

<crickets...>

:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
its fairly simple to do with most modern forum software.

however, if you ban someone from the clinic, they will just take their ramblings to another section of the forum.

Its also fairly simple to setup privacy for members on a forum but wait ... wasn't all your info on the net for the world to see? Did you happen to tell your members of this? Yea, you probably shouldn't they may not trust you much knowing that. :rolleyes:

ElChingon said:
Its also fairly simple to setup privacy for members on a forum but wait ... wasn't all your info on the net for the world to see? Did you happen to tell your members of this? Yea, you probably shouldn't they may not trust you much knowing that. :rolleyes:
can you work a little harder at being a jerk?

i'm putting it here even though it will likely be deleted, but i find your attacks on TSF distasteful and know complaining will do nothing... he was just stating a fact and yet you couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
If people report a post yet proceed to reply to it, discuss it etc, you leave moderators with little choice. If a post is actually offensive, one would report it and not respond (this would have been the reason your post was deleted as it was a quote/response to offending content). So the choice is 1) Take no action 2) Spend half an hour filtering posts 3) Nuke the thread. If I had more time I would've gone 2, but the thread looked pretty terminal.

But I am interested to hear what "side" I was on...

The post I reported, and then commented on, I completely understand and agree with your decision to remove, Ferminal....my issue was with the post that came before that...the one with the twitter quotes from Julie Dibens

As for the bolded part...earlier in the thread you referred to Ferrari...early morning tests and Armstrong wheeling our Catlin....apologies if I misinterpreted what "side" you were on.

To Hugh Janus and Raceradio's questions....well as has been pointed out, this isn't the place, but I'd be more than happy to start, or join a thread (with Ferminal's permission of course) to discuss your points further.

Now back to the matter at hand here....Anyone else think that 180mm Cranks should be made a super mod? Being told off by him is almost pleasurable he is so polite.

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
As I said in that thread, TFF's account was deleted at his request. It was entirely voluntary on his part, and his own idea.

Susan

Okay Susan.

One reaps what one sows I suppose.

straydog said:
The post I reported, and then commented on, I completely understand and agree with your decision to remove, Ferminal....my issue was with the post that came before that...the one with the twitter quotes from Julie Dibens

As for the bolded part...earlier in the thread you referred to Ferrari...early morning tests and Armstrong wheeling our Catlin....apologies if I misinterpreted what "side" you were on.

To Hugh Janus and Raceradio's questions....well as has been pointed out, this isn't the place, but I'd be more than happy to start, or join a thread (with Ferminal's permission of course) to discuss your points further.

Now back to the matter at hand here....Anyone else think that 180mm Cranks should be made a super mod? Being told off by him is almost pleasurable he is so polite.

Apology accepted, but why does everyone have to be on a "side"? Can't someone make an objective point anymore?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Apology accepted, but why does everyone have to be on a "side"? Can't someone make an objective point anymore?

I believe the moderation of the board created sides. Case in point, anyone can say rugged things to a poster like me (American cycling fanboy). BUT, say something off color to a guy like Race Radio..... bam. Down comes the moderator hammer.

scribe said:
I believe the moderation of the board created sides. Case in point, anyone can say rugged things to a poster like me (American cycling fanboy). BUT, say something off color to a guy like Race Radio..... bam. Down comes the moderator hammer.

I would be curious to see if you can produce a couple of actual instances where this happened.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I would be curious to see if you can produce a couple of actual instances where this happened.

I've got TWO PMs from 2 different mods warning me for referring to Race Radio. They came quick, and threatened me with banning.

It seems like moderation has gotten tighter with respect to this since I left and returned recently. I've had much more terrible things said to me in the past. Thankfully, my feelings aren't easily hurt.....which is a great quality to have for a prospective moderator such as myself.

scribe said:
I've got TWO PMs from 2 different mods warning me for referring to Race Radio. They came quick, and threatened me with banning.

It seems like moderation has gotten tighter with respect to this since I left and returned recently. I've had much more terrible things said to me in the past. Thankfully, my feelings aren't easily hurt.....which is a great quality to have for a prospective moderator such as myself.

If it's PM's how do you know you are the only one getting them. I've gotten PM warnings for using the names Spayed Dog and Fargo's Nutsack and had countless clever posts wished into the cornfield.
Sounds like you just need a prescription of Toughen-Up.;)

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I've got TWO PMs from 2 different mods warning me for referring to Race Radio as Lance's hanger-berry. They came quick, and threatened me with banning.

The moderation HAS gotten tougher since you left and returned.
Tougher in a good way though.

And I think they are no longer "protecting RR". It is now more of a sympathetic "take it easy on the guy fcol". RR has been through a lot of disappointment.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
What's a hanger berry?

That's when someone hangs on to every Lance move. You know, can't get it off there.

I'd be more descriptive for instructional purpose, but I am still trying to get a feel for where the moderator lines are these days.

So just to be clear Scribe and HJ have been privately warned by a Mod/Admin in a PM for 'name calling' other posters. They then quote/repeat the same names in a forum - despite the warning! (I have deleted the actual references from the posts above)

Are we all really that clueless? What do people expect to happen at this point?

I am not sure what puzzles me more the fact that this happens or the fact there will be 'outrage' from some when they are warned again or banned for a month.

So just to be clear it is not appropriate to call other posters names even in jest. AND it is not a reasonable excuse to use the name "just as an example"!

Does this make sense?

Terry

May 18, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
So just to be clear Scribe and HJ have been privately warned by a Mod/Admin in a PM for 'name calling' other posters. They then quote/repeat the same names in a forum - despite the warning! (I have deleted the actual references from the posts above)

Are we all really that clueless? What do people expect to happen at this point?

I am not sure what puzzles me more the fact that this happens or the fact there will be 'outrage' from some when they are warned again or banned for a month.

So just to be clear it is not appropriate to call other posters names even in jest. AND it is not a reasonable excuse to use the name "just as an example"!

Does this make sense?

Terry

I think I understand but the lack of consistency here is confusing even to an educated person such as myself.

Does the lack of tolerance for name calling include calling me a "troll"? If so, please be lenient on Socal Scott.

ChrisE said:
I think I understand but the lack of consistency here is confusing even to an educated person such as myself.

Does the lack of tolerance for name calling include calling me a "troll"? If so, please be lenient on Socal Scott.

Personally I think the term 'troll' is used far too often. It seems a common expression when someone simply disagrees with anothers post! Used as a name for another poster is against the rules strictly speaking. As are any comments about other posters.

The issue of a poster having been warned for something privately and then choosing to repeat the expression publicly seems more than a little different to me.

AND I know it can be annoying but it is very very difficult for a team of volunteer mods to always be consistent. We try but we don't always get it right. One thing we are very consistent about is posters who are civil and talk about cycling are left to enjoy the forum and have fun. It's only people who try to test the boundaries that risk stepping over the line. You can easily enjoy the forum without going anywhere near the edge of what is appropriate. I can find hundreds of active posters who have never received a warning for anything.

Terry

A

Anonymous

ChrisE said:

It's actually Scott SoCal. Maybe you forgot.

I have had 2 infractions since I have been here. One for posting too much skin in the BoB thread and then more recently for having the temerity to suggest the Lance thread be closed and ftp figured that was too far off topic.

So, how many times have you been banned?

And so I don't hurt your feelings in the future... When you post garbage to illicit a response what would you have me call it?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
It's actually Scott SoCal. Maybe you forgot.

I have had 2 infractions since I have been here. One for posting too much skin in the BoB thread and then more recently for having the temerity to suggest the Lance thread be closed and ftp figured that was too far off topic.

So, how many times have you been banned?

And so I don't hurt your feelings in the future... When you post garbage to illicit a response what would you have me call it?

you in the politics thread? :D

seriously, though 180mmcrank is right (i hate saying that about a mod but sometimes you have to give the devil his due, eh?)

it's so common here, disagree with the pop opinion and you're a troll. there are times when that may be true, but most of the time it isn't. who in the **** are you to make that decision. oops, i forgot, you've only received two warnings. you're allowed to state your decidedly minority opinion in the politics thread without being called a troll (although obviously most of them think you're an idiot) but red's been banned a couple of times (and rightfully so imo)for his attacks on you. drink your koolaid and light your torch, the clinic lynch mob needs you. you're either with us or agin us, right? god forbid someone should trot out a different take on anything. must be a dirty fanboy, suggesting that maybe there isn't a vast conspiracy at work. granville called it right, you boys have gone full genius.

A

Anonymous

patricknd said:
you in the politics thread? :D

seriously, though 180mmcrank is right (i hate saying that about a mod but sometimes you have to give the devil his due, eh?)

it's so common here, disagree with the pop opinion and you're a troll. there are times when that may be true, but most of the time it isn't. who in the **** are you to make that decision. oops, i forgot, you've only received two warnings. you're allowed to state your decidedly minority opinion in the politics thread without being called a troll (although obviously most of them think you're an idiot) but red's been banned a couple of times (and rightfully so imo)for his attacks on you. drink your koolaid and light your torch, the clinic lynch mob needs you. you're either with us or agin us, right? god forbid someone should trot out a different take on anything. must be a dirty fanboy, suggesting that maybe there isn't a vast conspiracy at work. granville called it right, you boys have gone full genius.

Oh darn. I thought we were friends.

I guess Texans stick together, eh?

Politically speaking, I probably am an idiot, so there's that.

Wait, I forgot the, uh, :D

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Oh darn. I thought we were friends.

I guess Texans stick together, eh?

Politically speaking, I probably am an idiot, so there's that.

Wait, I forgot the, uh, :D

it has nothing to do with texans sticking together, it's about anyone that disagrees with the opinion of the masses being labeled a troll and a paid employee of public strategies. the shout down brigade rubs their hands together, licks their lips, and jumps into the fray, shrill screams drowning out the possibility of a differing opinion. they wail and moan about the horrible trolls, but they love it. they can post the same tired face palm pictures (that weren't funny the 1st time, much less the 479th) and cyber fist bump each other over their handling of the horrors they've been forced to endure from those paid schills that had the temerity to invade the sanctuary and suggest that perhaps lance armstrong isn't responsible for the holocaust. and another 200 pages passes........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS