• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Monaco: tax or doping heaven? or both?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That said, Froomies personal doctor having previously worked with Kashechkin is something I was unaware of.

I'm sure its purely innocent of course. Like Lienders and Sutton and Yates and De Jongh and Rogers and all those other bad guys Brunyeelsford turned to the good side with those epic speeches Walsh gets so giddy about.

The Hitch said:
That said, Froomies personal doctor having previously worked with Kashechkin is something I was unaware of.

I'm sure its purely innocent of course. Like Lienders and Sutton and Yates and De Jongh and Rogers and all those other bad guys Brunyeelsford turned to the good side with those epic speeches Walsh gets so giddy about.

I would agree. There is little to see here. Until there's a positive test its nothing... if anything comes up the independent body of anti-doping based just outside the independent UCI will look into it independently.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
http://www.franreyesf.es/miniblog/?tag=stephane-bermon

ASTANA! all good then :D

fY9S8OW.jpg

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The video is priceless and uses all the usual, customary halagógicas figures in a country whose president is portrayed by the satellite launched into Earth orbit. Starts with images of Monaco opulence in which is immersed Kashechkin, playing golf jersey dress with Astana, cheerfully portrayed by Armstrong or riding in a chic setting with his wife Nadja; describe your workouts ("daily runs 200, 300, 400 or 500 kilometers"); or interview your personal physician, Stéphane Bermon, for it states that the Kazakh rider has "exceptional physical qualities", ideal for "win the Tour, Vuelta and the Giro."

Does Dawg know that Kashechkin had doped? :eek:

Parker said:
The actual story (as opposed to the one you have created) is that there is an investigation into the Russian Federation, who an agent is alleging asked for a 450k bribe to get one of his star athletes off a bio passport case (she was later banned for two years). Nothing to do with Bermon or anyone on the IAAF anti-doping commision

Hello Parker and God bless the Queen.

To answer your post: Le Matin partly quotes L'Equipe but in l'Equipe you can read the following :
"au siège de l'IAAF à Monaco l'affaire est prise très au sérieux. Car pour couvrir des cas de passeports biologiques anormaux il faudrait des connivences jusqu'au sein des services anti-dopages."
"[l'AMA] aurait elle constaté que les experts de l'IAAF ne voyaient pas toujours très bien les anomalies des passeports biologiques russes ?"

So YES, according to L'Equipe, the IAAF anti-doping comission is under scrutiny (and Bermon is a Monaco based member of the IAAAF ADC)

lllludo said:
Hello Parker and God bless the Queen.

To answer your post: Le Matin partly quotes L'Equipe but in l'Equipe you can read the following :
"au siège de l'IAAF à Monaco l'affaire est prise très au sérieux. Car pour couvrir des cas de passeports biologiques anormaux il faudrait des connivences jusqu'au sein des services anti-dopages."
"[l'AMA] aurait elle constaté que les experts de l'IAAF ne voyaient pas toujours très bien les anomalies des passeports biologiques russes ?"

So YES, according to L'Equipe, the IAAF anti-doping comission is under scrutiny (and Bermon is a Monaco based member of the IAAAF ADC)

Do you have the full sentences? Because those snippets aren't actually saying much of any substance. Just that the IAAF is taking it seriously and a bit of idle speculation on the part of the journalists.

A Russian official asked for a bribe - that's all. There's nothing to suggest anyone at IAAF has actually done anything wrong, let alone someone specific.

Parker said:
Do you have the full sentences? Because those snippets aren't actually saying much of any substance. Just that the IAAF is taking it seriously and a bit of idle speculation on the part of the journalists.

A Russian official asked for a bribe - that's all. There's nothing to suggest anyone at IAAF has actually done anything wrong, let alone someone specific.
L'Equipe says that there's an internal inquiry going on at IAAF and the AD commission is under scrutiny.
If you want to know details you can buy L'Equipe online for around 1€. Even if you don't speak French you can buy it as a donation to journalists who do serious anti-doping inquiries.
As a participant of the clinic I am sure you'll be sensible ;-)

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Russia Athletic Federation announced on 29 April this year that Liliya Shobukhova was banned for two years because of anomalies in her bio passport. All results from 9 October 2009 were to be annulled and the ban would end 23 January 2015.

This was announced on the website of the federation, but the page has later been "cleaned". (And webarchive has an archived version from 2 May 2014, but that too is empty.) Then nothing more was heard. No announcement from RUSADA, no announcement from IAAF, and she hasn't turned up on IAAF's list of sanctioned athletes or in their monthly newsletter where new sanctions are announced.

It is not the Russian athletics federation that monitors her bio passport, it is either IAAF or RUSADA. Her case must have been handled by one or both of RUSADA and IAAF, and then sent over to the national federation who announced the case. And then it became quiet. A reason for the dealy could be that she appealed the case. She has a right to appeal, at least to CAS, but there probably is an appeal option within the Russian system first. But now it seems like she rather tried to pay herself out of the problem (most likely for a good reason, she knew what her blood proflie looked like and that no one has won a bio passport case at CAS).

She doesn't appear to be in IAAF's registered testing pool. Does this mean that it was RUSADA who handled her bio passport?

It all seems very strange and clumsy. The federation announces the ban, then they start trying to bribe IAAF's anti doping department?

thehog said:
Isn't that par for the course in Russia? Routine business dealings.

Steady - that could be construed as being racist...

However, you would be correct in mentioning that they have a 'highly corrupt' rating in the Corruption Perceptions Index. Nearly all the other countries worse than them are third world.

TheSpud said:
Steady - that could be construed as being racist...

However, you would be correct in mentioning that they have a 'highly corrupt' rating in the Corruption Perceptions Index. Nearly all the other countries worse than them are third world.

Please. Like the tipping culture in the US or the cash flow system in Italy. Its well established Russia has a long way to go in this department. Countries like Romania to make themselves EU compliant cleaned up a lot of there regular cash payment system.

thehog said:
Please. Like the tipping culture in the US or the cash flow system in Italy. Its well established Russia has a long way to go in this department. Countries like Romania to make themselves EU compliant cleaned up a lot of there regular cash payment system.

I know I know, just joking around.

There's a huge gift giving culture in business - its almost expected during the procurement cycle: alcohol and cigars being a particular favourite, and that's just the really low level / small expenditure stuff. The bigger stuff, well I guess the sky is the limit.

Re:

lllludo said:
Yup positives are bad for business and business is important in Monaco.
For example Froome's personal doc, Dr Stéphane Bermon, works at IM2S, a private clinic in Monaco, is a member of the IAAF anticoping committee and gives interviews to explain gene doping is the future of doping:
http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/cyclisme...ites/le-dopage-du-futur-sera-genetique-643836

All this may be good for business but it's also a bit troublesome...

*** the hypocrisy ‏@Digger_forum 2h2 hours ago
Stephane bermon. Froome's doctor in Monaco. Problem is that he was also doctor to vino and kashechkin. Awful luck again! Of all the doctors!

*** the hypocrisy ‏@Digger_forum 2h2 hours ago
There must be some shortage of doctors and soigneurs in Europe that sky and froome end up with these people. They need a recruitment agency!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cycle Chic said:
lllludo said:
For example Froome's personal doc, Dr Stéphane Bermon, works at IM2S, a private clinic in Monaco, is a member of the IAAF anticoping committee and gives interviews to explain gene doping is the future of doping:
http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/cyclisme...ites/le-dopage-du-futur-sera-genetique-643836

**** the hypocrisy ‏@Digger_forum 2h2 hours ago
Stephane bermon. Froome's doctor in Monaco. Problem is that he was also doctor to vino and kashechkin. Awful luck again! Of all the doctors!

There must be some shortage of doctors and soigneurs in Europe that sky and froome end up with these people. They need a recruitment agency!
is there any sort of confirmation out there that Bermon was Vino's doc or is that just an assumption arising from the fact he was kashechkin's doc?

Re:

lllludo said:

This dude is the king. Knows all about Testo, Gene doping, lives in Monaco AND is Froome's personal doc. Not that there's anything to see here.

Re:

lllludo said:

Ahh, now we're really getting into it. At least one of the legendary doping doctors was the head of the UCI medical commission at one point. I can't recall who it was at the moment. Nothing really changes at the IOC.

Say hello to a very highest-ranking WADA official, Sepp Blatter!

Cleans I tell you! Cleans!

Re:

heart_attack_man said:
Anyone know when Froome moved to Monaco? Was it in 2011 by any chance?

Edit: Don't worry - found it...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome#Personal_life

:D

Edit 2: More about his move to Monaco:
Moving to Monaco really helped. Until then, I was living in Italy, moving every year, and it was only when I moved to Monaco that everything fell into place.
http://www.bicycling.com/racing/chris-froome-how-i-became-tour-winner/page/0/1

:D :D

Cause and effect.

Cause: New or stepped up doping for Froome meant he expected his income might substantially increase. e.g. winning GTs and/or assuming team leadership at Sky.

Effect: Move to low tax country to reduce his personal taxation liability.

Froome's move to Monaco may have been to avoid tax - although that may have been brought about by him commencing or stepping up his doping from 2011 - around the Vuelta I guess. So Froome may have been advised to move there in anticipation of his minimising tax. I don't believe Froome or anyone else moves to Monaco specifically to avoid testing although that might be a possible side benefit.

I think many domestiques and other lower profile pros also move to Monaco? O'Grady was one. So do many business people. I don't think we can read too much except he moved in 2011 when his performances suddenly improved. But as I said if you think your income is going to rise it makes sense to take actions that will minimise your personal tax.

Re: Re:

sniper said:
Cycle Chic said:
lllludo said:

is there any sort of confirmation out there that Bermon was Vino's doc or is that just an assumption arising from the fact he was kashechkin's doc?

There is no confirmation of it, it's just that people mix up Kash and Vino, then it became both.

Vino has a long documented relationship with Ferrari after 2005.

Before Ferrari he was also a short stop by Fuentes

TRENDING THREADS