• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most memorable doped perfomances?

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Floyd in Morzine 2006 was big. I never thought that in 21st century a single rider could destroy the peleton with 100km+ breakaway like Merckx.

Santiago Perez at Vuelta 2004 was also spectacular. A man from nothing doing 1800-2000 m/h of VAM for 15 minutes and making Heras look like an amateur.

Jose Enrique Gutierrez at Giro 2006. A heavy man (78 kg) with no grand tour success is 2nd at the Giro ahead of Simoni and only behind ET Basso.

Pantani and Indurain on Alpe d'Huez 1995. Pantani goes under 37' and Indurain (80 kilograms!) doing a little over 38 minutes! Pantani doing well over 1800 m/h of VAM (close to 7 watts/kg) for such a long period is incredible. But what can you say about Indurain? This 80-kg giant with locomotive-like engine achieved VAM of about 1750 m/h and could overtake uphill our skinny Alien :D What a mutant! Wonderful 90s. Compared to them todays cycling is clean :p

For me sustained greatness of Pantani and Indurain (for many years, not a single shot like Landis) represent peak of capabilities of very gifted cyclists on doping.

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Most memorable for doping? Hard to think of anything more "over the top" than Horner. Partially memorable for it occuring during a time where there was so much hype about cycling entering a "new era", LOL. Horner shat on the whole circus. Up until that point I thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Perez or Nozal.

ChewbaccaD said:
Yea, still love what Floyd did that day regardless.

I'll add this one: Tyler during the 2003 TdF. His ride on Alpe d'Huez was amazing regardless of how many bags of blood he might have had. He rode it with a broken collarbone and more than once got out of the saddle to get back to Armstrong and Beloki after attacks. I just kept thinking "how in the fu*k can you do that?" All the PED's in the world don't make someone tough enough to do that. He's just a natural bada$$.

He actually attacked them once on l'Alpe as well. Don't remember if it was Armstrong who chased him down.

Re: Re:

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Most memorable for doping? Hard to think of anything more "over the top" than Horner. Partially memorable for it occuring during a time where there was so much hype about cycling entering a "new era", LOL. Horner shat on the whole circus. Up until that point I thought it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Perez or Nozal.

ChewbaccaD said:
Yea, still love what Floyd did that day regardless.

I'll add this one: Tyler during the 2003 TdF. His ride on Alpe d'Huez was amazing regardless of how many bags of blood he might have had. He rode it with a broken collarbone and more than once got out of the saddle to get back to Armstrong and Beloki after attacks. I just kept thinking "how in the fu*k can you do that?" All the PED's in the world don't make someone tough enough to do that. He's just a natural bada$$.

He actually attacked them once on l'Alpe as well. Don't remember if it was Armstrong who chased him down.

Armstrong was on Beloki's wheel.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Tonton said:
Hands down, Floyd Landis in his 2006 impersonation of Eddy Merckx. This episode was also nominated for 'the most memorable Phil and Paul part of the problem not the solution' and 'the most memorable justifications by Robbie Ventura'.

I would call it more of a Claudio Chiappucci impersonation. Agree though, both bloody 'good' doped performances.

Would add in the Saunier Duval duo for the sheer audacity of it.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Pjotr Ugrumov dropping Indurain after trying 10x already @ Oropa - Giro 1993

Marco Pantani winning and passing the whole peloton after a flat tire @ Oropa - Giro 1999

Team Clas in the whole Tour de France of 1993 - Escartin, Rominger, Unzaga, Mauleon, Echave. They were actually teammates of Indurain (he told them what to do on the climb of the Bonnette to Isola 2000). I still remember some mountain stages with a group of 15 riders, and 5-6 Clas riders. The whole Banesto team was nowhere to be seen, which why I've always said that there was no doping culture in that team during Indurain's era. I think Indurain himself got prepared, not so much.

Festina - Col du Glandon TDF 1997. 8 out 9 riders leading the pack.

Really, nobody has mentioned Indurain's La Plagne?

I think its a microcosm of cycling culture. Nothing matters if you don't win.

Even if you ride every major contender but Zulle (20-odd guys doped to the gills) straight off your wheel without attacking, teammates, changing cadence or standing up. Guy puts out 500W+ sustained for half an hour, double dares Pantani et al. to keep if they mfcking can. "I'll pull it's no biggie. Y'all ain't got nothing anyway."

Nope, he didn't win, so it isn't memorable.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not to forget.

Lugano Worldchampionships U23.

1) Giuliano Figueras (Ita)
2) Roberto Sgambelluri (Ita)
3) Luca Sironi (Ita)
4) Paolo Bettini (Ita)

At one point all four heading to the last climb.

Funny thing Bettini got beat in the sprint for 3rd place because he stopped sprinting.

Re:

carton said:

Even if you ride every major contender but Zulle (20-odd guys doped to the gills) straight off your wheel without attacking, teammates, changing cadence or standing up. Guy puts out 500W+ sustained for half an hour, double dares Pantani et al. to keep if they mfcking can. "I'll pull it's no biggie. Y'all ain't got nothing anyway."

However, it was the main reason I picked that version of Indurain over the '92 version as pick #1 in the doping draft.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

carton said:

this was training for that:

https://youtu.be/tFM7wcMiPdI?t=3078

checking the opposition and than full alien mode

Krzysztof_O said:
Floyd in Morzine 2006 was big. I never thought that in 21st century a single rider could destroy the peleton with 100km+ breakaway like Merckx.

Santiago Perez at Vuelta 2004 was also spectacular. A man from nothing doing 1800-2000 m/h of VAM for 15 minutes and making Heras look like an amateur.

Jose Enrique Gutierrez at Giro 2006. A heavy man (78 kg) with no grand tour success is 2nd at the Giro ahead of Simoni and only behind ET Basso.

Pantani and Indurain on Alpe d'Huez 1995. Pantani goes under 37' and Indurain (80 kilograms!) doing a little over 38 minutes! Pantani doing well over 1800 m/h of VAM (close to 7 watts/kg) for such a long period is incredible. But what can you say about Indurain? This 80-kg giant with locomotive-like engine achieved VAM of about 1750 m/h and could overtake uphill our skinny Alien :D What a mutant! Wonderful 90s. Compared to them todays cycling is clean :p

For me sustained greatness of Pantani and Indurain (for many years, not a single shot like Landis) represent peak of capabilities of very gifted cyclists on doping.
+1.

I think this summary is excellent. Probably would need to add Riis in Hautacam.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Krzysztof_O said:

+1.

I think this summary is excellent. Probably would need to add Riis in Hautacam.

Riis wasn't a very gifted cyclist though.

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Ricco's Aspin attack was LOL funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34AY5epnluw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m16s

carton said:

I think that similarly, Armstrong's insane Hautacam performance in 2000 doesn't get talked about so much because he didn't win the stage.

Was that the stage that Pantani attacked early, then Indurain demolished the field catching and passing him in the fog? With Pantani shaking his head in disbelief as Indurain caught him.

Makes me wonder... has any pro endurance athlete regularly come close to the wattage output of Indurain?

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Was that the stage that Pantani attacked early, then Indurain demolished the field catching and passing him in the fog? With Pantani shaking his head in disbelief as Indurain caught him.
No, that was Hautacam 94'. Indurain went on to shake his head himself when he was pipped by LeBlanc on the line. But my favorite shake of the head has to be Armstrong 1994, after the TT. I can't find the footage, but he says something like: "I was in 53-11 and he just blew right by me. I mean, you know, that's just ..."

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Makes me wonder... has any pro endurance athlete regularly come close to the wattage output of Indurain?
I'm not sure how you would measure that. The only other sport where that's feasible on principle is rowing, where inefficiencies are generally higher. At least in cycling I doubt anyone will match Indurain's sustained power in a long time.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
carton said:

this was training for that:

https://youtu.be/tFM7wcMiPdI?t=3078

Wow, that's some power, Indurain looks like he's on a Sunday run while the others are barely clinging on, and how fast were they going??? Looks way faster compared to now.
checking the opposition and than full alien mode

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

craig1985 said:
Ivan Basso winning the 2006 Giro, a brutally hard one mind you, by 9 minutes. I mean come on!
2006 ITT Pontedera-Pisa-Pontedera was passing in front of my house. Even by looking at them, Ullrich and Basso seemed of another planet. IMHO Basso was even more impressive, given he started much later than Ullrich and there was already some wind.

Another performance that I still watch amazed is Prato-Abetone, Stage 9 of Giro 2000. I know quite well the climb of San Pellegrino in Alpe and I can assure you the last 2km before getting into the village are really tough (never under 13%) and the last km with the hairpins is over 15%. If you look at the way Casagrande cracked the others from 38:30 onwards, you’ll be amazed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTpGPEG9ac

I've enjoyed reading this thread again. This one deserves a mention.

Erik Dekker 2004 Paris Tours.

If it was a film it would be panned for being too far-fetched but to sum up the plot Dekker is in the break for over 200kms, drops everyone one by one until he's alone with 10km to go, gets joined by fresh blood (Flecha, Kessler, Astarloa), attacks and drops them, only Kessler can get across but he's left for dead in the sprint, and frankly so is the chasing peloton. Also some amusing quotes in the CN report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGpjOfYLG0
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/worldcup04/paristours04/?id=results

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Squire said:
One of my favourite categories of doped performances? The legendary Saunier Duval 1-2s!

corvos_00012006-015.jpg

bettiniphoto_0017173_1_full_600.jpg

ricco_Giro2007.jpg
I was on the finish line of the last one at Tre Cime di Lavaredo during Giro 2007. It was a crazy performance by the Saunier-Duval duo, considering that there were a ton of mountains that day and we were literally freezing in the rain ( I guess no more than 5°C on top). Here the classification of the stage:

1 RICCO’ Riccardo
2 PIEPOLI Leonardo
3 PARRA Ivan Ramiro
4 PEREZ CUAPIO Julio Alberto
5 MAZZOLENI Eddy
6 DI LUCA Danilo
7 SIMONI Gilberto
8 CUNEGO Damiano
9 SCHLECK Andy
10 SELLA Emanuele
11 ARROYO David
12 SAVOLDELLI PAOLO