• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overrated (good) rider in the peloton?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is currently the most overrated rider among the stars of the peloton?

• Total voters
Froome is a legend!

7 Grand Tour plus running on Mont ventoux.

200w.gif

It's sad to say but VWA is actually really grabbing for this nomination. Not only because this last accident, but overall kinda Dumoulinesque shadow growing steady.
To me it seems like 95% of cycling fans see Van Aert as exactly the 6th best rider in the world which is exactly what he is I think, so i nthat regard I'd argue he may be the most correctly rated rider in the world.

Even if I am a fan of the guy, and I am sad to see him get his Spring season ruined by a terrible crash, I still have to go with Wout van Aert as the most overrated. In part due to the absurd discourse surrounding him during the Tour last year, where a lot called for Vingegaard to give him sprint lead-outs! Absolutely bizar thing to suggest. WvA is also too far behind on wins in the biggest races, which would be Worlds, Olympics, Monuments and Grand Tour GC, for him to rank among the other greats he is compared to. When talking about the current "Big 6" riders, I would replace him with Philipsen, based on 2023 and the beginning of 2024. Pedersen is closing the gap too.

I think there are arguments to be made for Remco as well, he has done impressive things, but outside of the 2022 season he has done little to qualify as one of the best in the World. But of course we can't ignore that exceptional season.

I think there are certainly valid arguments for Ayuso, Girmay and Pidcock too, who all fail to live up to the hype they get.

I can see the argument for Girmay.

For Ayuso, if he doesn't deliver this year the hype will end pretty soon.

With Pidcock it's really more the English speaking media overhyping him as a road cyclist. That said, if he actually focusses more on road cycling he can get a lot better as a stage racer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Most years I would have voted for Pinot.

I don't really think any of the guys in the poll are overrated and I'm struggling to understand how Ayuso even makes this list given his results at 21.

De Lie has had a tough year so far but he's also young and his struggles haven't gone on long enough to call him overrated.

My vote has to be Jay Vine. I get that the guy has some bad luck but he DNFs more stage races than he finishes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Most years I would have voted for Pinot.

I don't really think any of the guys in the poll are overrated and I'm struggling to understand how Ayuso even makes this list given his results at 21.

De Lie has had a tough year so far but he's also young and his struggles haven't gone on long enough to call him overrated.

My vote has to be Jay Vine. I get that the guy has some bad luck but he DNFs more stage races than he finishes.
I think rider levels are just so well known and calcified right now it's harder to be very overrated. In 2022 I could just gone 'Evenepoel, Van Aert, Carapaz' instantly and now i'm just like "eeeeeehhhh De Lie I guess?'

And I feel like I kinda have to reach and say stuff like "well MvdP is overrated cause recency bias and because people treat him like an LBL contender now and the absolute top dog in one day races" or some ***

Reactions: jaylew
I can see the argument for Girmay.

For Ayuso, if he doesn't deliver this year the hype will end pretty soon.

With Pidcock it's really more the English speaking media overhyping him as a road cyclist. That said, if he actually focusses more on road cycling he can get a lot better as a stage racer.
I like Pidcock but the hype on Discovery+ is annoying as hell. Mind you, they mention Fred Wright just as much…