• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

zlev11 said:
was watching Ventoux 2000 last night and noticed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcgE4iakJc go to 1:55:12

Lance does a strange motion where he either touches his left thigh or touches under the saddle, it's hard to tell. is he pushing a button?
Very nice find, Zlev.

He did this more often on climbs. I'll look for another instance.
I remember some thought he was in the habit of pulling his pants out of his behind (a la Nadal), but if you look closely I agree he seems to be going for something underneath his saddle.

The speculation in the CBS 60 minute doc was that Lance used a seattube motor (an old model of which Varjas was able to fit into an old 1999 Trek). Imo this hand movement could very well be related to that.

Where are the earlier rumors of the 1995-2010 motor?

I have to agree that insiders started talking only after Cancellara RVV 2010. Since then quite a few insiders have raised concerns.
At least two of them are talking pre 2010:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/gilberts-agent-there-is-evidence-that-motors-have-been-in-the-peloton-since-before-2010/
“We speak a lot of 2010, but I have evidence that it was in the peloton for much longer than that.”
https://www.53x12.com/circ-2015
On page 85, a fleeting reference to the "Technical Cheating" showed up: frames, saddles, tubes, clothing, while only half a sentence is dedicated to "motors in frames", when this problem has existed for 10 years, with the UCI never devoting a single comment to well known events.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
@ Sniper, point to a pre-2010 story.

That it's a real issue now? Sure. That it started before 2010? Okay. But 20 years without a rumour? That's amazing considering the rather rumor filled space called pro-cycling.

Also, i deeply resent that you dare to call me someone who has put up blinders. Show me where I handwave things. It's absolutely disgusting if discussions refuse to go into the facts and argumentation, but are instead used to mis characterize someones position.

The lack of decency to accept a discerning position which is well motivated is boorish and dampens any way of normal discourse. Explain away my points and you could always sway me. But attacking me as a person simply because I don't immediately agree?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Franklin said:
@ Sniper, point to a pre-2010 story.

That it's a real issue now? Sure. That it started before 2010? Okay. But 20 years without a rumour? That's amazing considering the rather rumor filled space called pro-cycling.

Also, i deeply resent that you dare to call me someone who has put up blinders. Show me where I handwave things. It's absolutely disgusting if discussions refuse to go into the facts and argumentation, but are instead used to mis characterize someones position.

The lack of decency to accept a discerning position which is well motivated is boorish and dampens any way of normal discourse. Explain away my points and you could always sway me. But attacking me as a person simply because I don't immediately agree?
Fair enough Franklin, bad taste on my behalf.

But come on, "a discerning position which is well motivated"?
In the EPO thread you said there is "no evidence, no rumors", and then a full stop.

Tienus just showed that to be erroneous, and I could add to Tienus list, and I might, in a sec.
But additionally, provided you have time, I'd ask you to read the thread(s) on motors, because really there is so much in there.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Tienus said:
Where are the earlier rumors of the 1995-2010 motor?

I have to agree that insiders started talking only after Cancellara RVV 2010. Since then quite a few insiders have raised concerns.
At least two of them are talking pre 2010:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/gilberts-agent-there-is-evidence-that-motors-have-been-in-the-peloton-since-before-2010/
“We speak a lot of 2010, but I have evidence that it was in the peloton for much longer than that.”
https://www.53x12.com/circ-2015
On page 85, a fleeting reference to the "Technical Cheating" showed up: frames, saddles, tubes, clothing, while only half a sentence is dedicated to "motors in frames", when this problem has existed for 10 years, with the UCI never devoting a single comment to well known events.
Those are two very interesting ones indeed.

Additionally we have
- rumors about Lance using one from 1999 onwards (CBS 60 Min doc; Betsy and the Lemonds on social media; Varjas between the lines);
- a discussion on Belgian tv between Boonen and Vannieuwkerke, both alluding to rumors about Sastre 2008 using a motor http://www.tijd.be/opinie/algemeen/Wielrennen-kan-ontkenning-en-omerta-rond-mechanische-doping-missen-als-kiespijn/9762776
- Boardman 2010 saying he warned UCI about motors in a 2009 meeting. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/7801538/Chris-Boardman-I-warned-UCI-officials-about-possibility-of-bike-doping-a-year-ago.html

Sure, it's striking that there have been only very few leaks.
And mind, its not the first time we ask ourselves why.
Imo it would be erroneous however to draw any conclusions from that, other than that, for a variety of reasons, the motor-omerta appears to be very very thick, (much) thicker than doping omerta.

In Jan 2007 Cyclingnews ran this story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-fairness-fund-open/
Look at this vid from 2007 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIbmhqSiME

A bike shop, I know, that does nothing much high end, last year changed their sign over the shop to promote ebikes. They change their sign about every three years. Incentivise by a few million $ and the technology has to have been available to the pro peloton for more than a decade. In 2005 Lance was still able to hold a straight face and tell it to the punters "'m sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe". How is that for trolling of the first order ? If Hein and Pat wanted to keep the yellow jersey on the back of Lance, then Cookson was just as complicit even in 2003. He actually employed, at British Cycling, Emma O'Reilly's husband who drove Lance's package with her, as she was being called out as a liar. Lilistone is an ex pro, even if she was spinning the cr*p at the time that "I didn't know what was in the brown bag I was smuggling across two borders" at least he would know. Cookson could have asked him.
Cookson was on the Road commission at the UCI and could have asked was their a cheque from Lance - how much was it for and what was it spent on. He could have uncovered the bung straight off.
What happened about Pat's laptop ? Was incriminating evidence found ? If it was, why didn't Cookson do anythign about it ? Why couldn't Cookson do anything about it ?
Cookson did not speak to Lillistone. Cookson did not ask about the cheque but sat on his hands at the UCI and take the freebies. If the exposure of rampant epo usage had that dead hand effect, think what exposure of motors being used would have.

Sponsors would not walk but run and nothing much would come into replace them. Cycling would go the way of professional wrestling, . That equates to a pressure to keep quiet that is several fold greater than exerted by rampant epo usage.

Keep quiet and in pro-cycling you get the gig. Lilistone was as guilty of smuggling the PEDs for Lance as Emma O'Reily was. He kept his head down and became manager of all cycling events at London 2012. And people wonder why stories on motors don't come out ?

Somebody - anybody - come up with a rational (not a fairy tale - rounder wheels - he has learned to train harder) reason for how Cav was able to slice what was it more than 7 seconds off his ip time between the 2016 World Champs and Rio 2016 ? People want evidence, Well most of it seems to be out there. No testing for motors at the track at Rio - announced in advance. You can buy an ebike virtually anywhere but in a sport historically riddled with corruption, we can trust the riders to play up, play up and play the game.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

sniper said:
zlev11 said:
was watching Ventoux 2000 last night and noticed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcgE4iakJc go to 1:55:12

Lance does a strange motion where he either touches his left thigh or touches under the saddle, it's hard to tell. is he pushing a button?
Very nice find, Zlev.

He did this more often on climbs. I'll look for another instance.
I remember some thought he was in the habit of pulling his pants out of his behind (a la Nadal), but if you look closely I agree he seems to be going for something underneath his saddle.

The speculation in the CBS 60 minute doc was that Lance used a seattube motor (an old model of which Varjas was able to fit into an old 1999 Trek). Imo this hand movement could very well be related to that.
1999 Sestriere. Go to 8:16-ish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hM9ejMiAk

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Blanco said:
red_flanders said:
Blanco said:
We had two obvious cases yesterday.

OK, I'll bite. What were they?

Two fastest riders on the second part, they ride for the same team, one is in yellow and the other will be in yellow...
Feb, 2017, Crystal Springs (SA):
This time around Froome and Thomas are joined by Team Sky coach Tim Kerrison, mechanic Gary Blem and soigneur Jacek Walczak.
probably nothing to it :)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-and-geraint-thomas-link-up-in-south-africa-for-altitude-camp/

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Freddythefrog said:
In Jan 2007 Cyclingnews ran this story http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-fairness-fund-open/
Look at this vid from 2007 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIbmhqSiME

A bike shop, I know, that does nothing much high end, last year changed their sign over the shop to promote ebikes. They change their sign about every three years. Incentivise by a few million $ and the technology has to have been available to the pro peloton for more than a decade. In 2005 Lance was still able to hold a straight face and tell it to the punters "'m sorry that you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe". How is that for trolling of the first order ? If Hein and Pat wanted to keep the yellow jersey on the back of Lance, then Cookson was just as complicit even in 2003. He actually employed, at British Cycling, Emma O'Reilly's husband who drove Lance's package with her, as she was being called out as a liar. Lilistone is an ex pro, even if she was spinning the cr*p at the time that "I didn't know what was in the brown bag I was smuggling across two borders" at least he would know. Cookson could have asked him.
Cookson was on the Road commission at the UCI and could have asked was their a cheque from Lance - how much was it for and what was it spent on. He could have uncovered the bung straight off.
What happened about Pat's laptop ? Was incriminating evidence found ? If it was, why didn't Cookson do anythign about it ? Why couldn't Cookson do anything about it ?
Cookson did not speak to Lillistone. Cookson did not ask about the cheque but sat on his hands at the UCI and take the freebies. If the exposure of rampant epo usage had that dead hand effect, think what exposure of motors being used would have.

Sponsors would not walk but run and nothing much would come into replace them. Cycling would go the way of professional wrestling, . That equates to a pressure to keep quiet that is several fold greater than exerted by rampant epo usage.

Keep quiet and in pro-cycling you get the gig. Lilistone was as guilty of smuggling the PEDs for Lance as Emma O'Reily was. He kept his head down and became manager of all cycling events at London 2012. And people wonder why stories on motors don't come out ?

Somebody - anybody - come up with a rational (not a fairy tale - rounder wheels - he has learned to train harder) reason for how Cav was able to slice what was it more than 7 seconds off his ip time between the 2016 World Champs and Rio 2016 ? People want evidence, Well most of it seems to be out there. No testing for motors at the track at Rio - announced in advance. You can buy an ebike virtually anywhere but in a sport historically riddled with corruption, we can trust the riders to play up, play up and play the game.
great post.

If we think about *why* doping omerta is sometimes broken, reasons vary from:

1. health reasons (e.g. Jesus Manzano)
2. people getting banned for doping and not being happy about it (Floyd; Rasmussen; etc.);
3. Police investigations

Those are three circumstances which historically apply to doping; but not to motors.
1. obvious
2. until 2011-ish there was never any testing in the first place.
3. Why would the police be looking for motorized bikes?

I think it goes a long way in explaining why the motor omerta is much stronger.

Something else to ponder on is that if you get caught doping you can carry it like a batch of honor (Vino, Virenque, etc.) and it's certainly not the end of your career in procycling.
If you get caught with a motor, all that is left is shame.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It does make sense that riders lost weight to make full use of a motor. The lighter you are the more power a motor would give.

I have no doubt that PEDs are still full on but i think motors are now part of the culture, especially for the rich teams.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
It does make sense that riders lost weight to make full use of a motor. The lighter you are the more power a motor would give.
And the motor itself of course adds extra weight, so more reason still to loose some fat, especially for GC riders / climbers.

I have no doubt that PEDs are still full on but i think motors are now part of the culture, especially for the rich teams.
agreed, it's not either-or, it's and-and, at least at the top end. At the lower end (domestiques of poor teams) I think there's still a good number of riders who only do PEDs.
A high end motorization package (i.e. something that goes beyond Femke's old school crank assist system which even the UCI couldn't ignore) is a costly affair.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
And the motor itself of course adds extra weight, so more reason still to loose some fat, especially for GC riders / climbers.

agreed, it's not either-or, it's and-and, at least at the top end. At the lower end (domestiques of poor teams) I think there's still a good number of riders who only do PEDs.
A high end motorization package (i.e. something that goes beyond Femke's old school crank assist system which even the UCI couldn't ignore) is a costly affair.

e-bikes are set to become huge. That needs a lot of refinement before it can on stream to a majority of users at a cheap price. The tech wizardry is long out the to produce small powerful motors.

May 26, 2009
Visit site

*Extends hand*

sniper said:
In the EPO thread you said there is "no evidence, no rumors", and then a full stop.
No rumors during those years... Whereas after 2010 there were more than a few rumors.

I don't dismiss it as impossible, but I (as in me as a person^^) do not believe that this would not have leaked somehow. My motivation in bullets:

1. Doping never is far beneath the surface in Cycling. We always know something is fishy and we generally have an amazing correct grasp of both persons and methods involved. This is not because we are so brilliant, but because the stories tend to leak out, which makes it possible for us to fill in the blanks.

We talk about Omerta, but contrary to Soccer (which is both much more tightlipped on doping and less under media scrutiny) we actually knew it all.

That these stories are absent until relatively recently is no proof (absence of evidence is no proof), but it's certainly noteworthy.

2. Speeds did not miraculously improve and there's no generation suddenly dropping off (which did happen when Epo entered the peloton). The only one who dramatically faded was Miguel Indurain and there are more mundane explanations (he did not dare Riis 60% and mentally he was kaput).

3. There's a technological issue. There's a noise issue with mid drive motors as they are not brushless. Of course Varjas could have made a near silent brushless mid motor, but it would be a mechanical tour de force, especially with that era's technology. What makes this even more suspect is that his Maglev Wheel is technological pretty much bunk. Lastly, we also need to take stock of battery technology. Small yet meaningful is something that only relatively recently hit the market.

Did Varjas have access to exotic stuff (even space-technology as he claimed)? I sincerely doubt it. He would be so far before the curb, yet it would have been in a relatively peanut-gallery called pro-cycling. The amount of money to be had from this technology, yet he made stuff for pro's for a few K? It's implausible.

Now if we turn the clock 10 years forward to 2005? Battery technology made a decent jump (Li-ion made it's way to laptops), though capacities were still quite low density. But it becomes certainly more in the realm of possibilities. 2010? It's still next gen (brushless mid-motors still have not hit the market in 2017), but brushless hub engines did exist (albeit prohibitively large).

So 2005? I could see that. 2010? A technician with skill and means surely could cook up something that give 50 watts silently for a few minutes.

it's in my mind no coincidence that the rumors are pretty much in line with what was technologically possible, even if it has not hit the market. *The Vivrax engine is most certainly not silent!*.

I could be utterly wrong and perhaps Ris and LA used electronic support. But i find it a lot less plausible than the good old jet-fueled support. So far nothing even remotely verifiable came up whereas with Epo all stories tended to collaborate (and were based on known drugs).

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Franklin said:
That these stories are absent until relatively recently is no proof (absence of evidence is no proof), but it's certainly noteworthy.
I agree it's noteworthy (and have said so several times in the past) and I tried to address/explain some of it in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=2139233#p2139233

2. Speeds did not miraculously improve and there's no generation suddenly dropping off (which did happen when Epo entered the peloton). The only one who dramatically faded was Miguel Indurain and there are more mundane explanations (he did not dare Riis 60% and mentally he was kaput).
This is a good point but it's debatable.
The myth of EPO causing a generation to drop off is largely based on one rider dropping off, Greg Lemond, for whom, ironically, there are several reasons to believe he used EPO himself. Sure, there were some other oldies who couldn't follow anymore. And if motors started in the mid-90s, we have Indurain dropping off and arguably a handful of others. Quite similar to the EPO drop off, if you think about it. Having said that, I would never argue that motors spread as fast as EPO did. So I wouldn't really expect an entire generation to have dropped off due to motors in the first place.

3. There's a technological issue. There's a noise issue with mid drive motors as they are not brushless. Of course Varjas could have made a near silent brushless mid motor, but it would be a mechanical tour de force, especially with that era's technology. What makes this even more suspect is that his Maglev Wheel is technological pretty much bunk. Lastly, we also need to take stock of battery technology. Small yet meaningful is something that only relatively recently hit the market.
The noise issue has been done and dealt with before in this thread (and i'll briefly address it again further below). Also, as mentioned several times before, nobody thinks or argues that Varjas represents the state of the art in motorized bike technology. Quite on the contrary.

Did Varjas have access to exotic stuff (even space-technology as he claimed)? I sincerely doubt it. He would be so far before the curb, yet it would have been in a relatively peanut-gallery called pro-cycling. The amount of money to be had from this technology, yet he made stuff for pro's for a few K? It's implausible.
I don't know. This is not the most important part of his statements, I think.
More interesting is that he was able to fit an old model motor in an 1999 model Trek. The batteries were quite large back then, whereas the tubes were generally quite thin. Nonetheless, he managed to neatly fit the old motor in the tube in front of a crew of journalists, which suggests it was by design.
We can go on about several other things Varjas has said, and I don't doubt he has exaggerated certain points. But the thrust of what he's said is simply plausible and is backed up by various other (insider) accounts.
Also, watch him talk. There's really nothing there that suggests he's lying through his teeth. If you read different interviews with him, you'll see it's all pretty much consistent. (Unlike the typical lying procyclist, say, Froome, whose bodylanguage is all over the place and whose stories are never consistent.)
Varjas has also been quite open about his motivation for speaking up: he had a professional conflict with his former employer, Typhoon bikes.

Now if we turn the clock 10 years forward to 2005? Battery technology made a decent jump (Li-ion made it's way to laptops), though capacities were still quite low density. But it becomes certainly more in the realm of possibilities. 2010? It's still next gen (brushless mid-motors still have not hit the market in 2017), but brushless hub engines did exist (albeit prohibitively large).

So 2005? I could see that. 2010? A technician with skill and means surely could cook up something that give 50 watts silently for a few minutes.

it's in my mind no coincidence that the rumors are pretty much in line with what was technologically possible, even if it has not hit the market.
We're very much on the same page here. (btw, look for Scienceiscool's posts in this thread to find some very interesting discussion of battery technology and of what is/was feasible and what not.)

*The Vivrax engine is most certainly not silent!*.
Again, this has been discussed previously in the thread. But to summarize: Vivax made a silent consumer version in 2013. Now, if they made it silent for consumers in 2013, for pro's, with the help of F1 engineering, it could have been silent much much earlier. But it's largely a moot point, because
(a) who's gonna hear your motor when you turn it on on the slopes of the Ventoux or Alpe Dhuez or on the cobbles of PR?
(b) even if someone did hear a motor, that's where the omerta comes into play isn't it.

Fact is we don't know exactly when which kind of tech was being used let alone by whom. Motors are pretty much like doping in this specific regard. We know roughly what's going on, but we never get the full picture.

I could be utterly wrong and perhaps Ris and LA used electronic support. But i find it a lot less plausible than the good old jet-fueled support. So far nothing even remotely verifiable came up whereas with Epo all stories tended to collaborate (and were based on known drugs).
Let me just put this here, from 1979 (iinm):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YXDL7P7_zY&feature=youtu.be
Now go back and have a look at what some of the TT bikes in the 90s looked like...Plenty of space to work with I'd say.

Really sound points by Sniper, particularly at the top of the page re an omerta stronger than that for PEDs. For PED's the final defence is always" leveling the playing field" - for example Lance's defence against US Postal is that they had to know he, like everyone else, was doing it. As Sniper says it is a sort of badge of honour and for those that keep their mouths shut, the rewards certainly follow the bust. I was reminded of that when on the way home tonight I listened to BBC 5 live report of the stage finish and there was Mr 53% Rob Hayles doing the gig - the BBC showing they have lost none of the naive faith that enabled Sir Jimmy Saville and so many others.

For motors there could not be the same path for a rider caught. Judge Cookson's reaction to the accusations that motors might, heaven forbid, be in the peloton "if a team or an individual is found with an electric motor in the bike…that would be beneath contempt.” Whilst there is no logic to back up such a position, it shows the mindset of one who has come to terms with athletes doping. This is another step entirely to those of that mindset and because undoubtedly not "everyone could do it" only a few team leaders and 1 or two teams managing 3 or 4 riders on a stage, the "leveling the playing field" argument is bust. And because of that and because this would be clearly seen as stealing the wins from the rest, and not just being the best doper amongst many, many dopers, there would not be a way back. So it would be just like doping in football - virtually nothing is out there, the omerta is way too strong. Ask a soccer fan about the use of PEDs and the stock answer is not a chance, PEDs are for non-skill endurance sports, they would not work in soccer. If you talk Fuentes, they just go la la la I am not listening.

And the fear of what a motors scandal would do was clear in the full quote response from Cookson as he whistled in the wind. "“I think it would be devastating if any team was found to have engaged in this. Our sport will survive,....."

So there you have it. He told you what was going to happen. They would go though the play of testing but no way were they going to "find a team" and two tools were available to them to ensure they did not- doing the tests wrong with the wrong testing device and and informing teams when and where tests would take place. That way, only when there was near revolt of the females at the Cross Worlds with multiple riders telling the UCI to test that bike there which that girl is riding, was their hand forced. Otherwise most people would still believe that although they could go down the local store and buy an ebike and despite that multiple people have said the tests are useless, there would not be a single rider caught and believers would be the "crazies".

As to the final bit I quoted "Our sport will survive,....." well he could not have been clearer. Cookson clearly understood the sport he is the boss of, would not survive. It would go exactly the same way that the sport Rob Hayles' dad engaged in and go from prime time every week to no time and become a byword for a mockery of sport.

Lance could have been stopped in 2003 if Cookson had asked the police to interview his employee Lilistone - did you commit a criminal act and smuggle PEDs across two borders for Lance as Walsh has written in this book and your ex wife says? Motors could have been stopped in 2015 if a team had been busted. In both cases you just have to ask "why not ?"

Will the full story of Fuentes and Spanish football ever make it to the public forum ? As at the winter of 2008/09 Lance was never going to be busted and the prospects were on that in 2017 the number of posters here defending Lance would dominate those who said he never won a race without doping.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
e-bikes are set to become huge. That needs a lot of refinement before it can on stream to a majority of users at a cheap price. The tech wizardry is long out the to produce small powerful motors.
yeah.
Really we'd need to start looking at the links between procycling and F1.
That connection starts to grow in the early to mid-90s.
I've already seen a couple of good posts on that topic in this thread, but I think that was a matter of scratching the surface.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
yeah.
I've already seen a couple of good posts on that topic in this thread, but I think that was a matter of scratching the surface.

Boardman and lotus. Bingo.

Also in recent years Aston Martin and Cavendish.

Not a good sign when a motor industry gets involved with a sport to make machines faster :D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
sniper said:
Benotti69 said:
yeah.

Boardman and lotus. Bingo.

Also in recent years Aston Martin and Cavendish.

Not a good sign when a motor industry gets involved with a sport to make machines faster :D
Nice ones.

Simon Smart is a name who's been mentioned a few times already (Tienus had a few intriguing posts on him). He's a former Formula One mechanic (a.o. Red Bull) and since the early 2000s working with a host of top teams and top riders including a certain Lance Armstrong (http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/technology/high-stakes-high-tech).

Since you mention Cav, HTC Highroad worked closely together with Smart on bike design in the years when Hincapie and Cav were there.
2010: Team HTC-Columbia is again using Scott Bicycles' Plasma 3 for this year's Giro d'Italia time trials after first introducing the new shape to the public at last year's event. Crafted with the help of former Formula 1 aerodynamicist Simon Smart and his team at UK-based Velo Science, Scott says the striking shape is better suited to time trialing than the previous Plasma 2.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-marco-pinottis-htc-columbia-scott-plasma-3/

On a side, Cav's personal mechanic at HTC was a certain Gary Blem. Blem was previously at Barloworld with Froome.
When Cav moved to Sky, Blem moved with him, he was literally part of Cav's contract. Blem is now Sky's head mechanic, and Froome's personal mechanic.
http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cycling/blem-the-force-behind-skys-success-1554485

When Thomas and Froome went training in Crystal Springs this winter, Blem was there with them.
Might all be nothing of course.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Collaboration has been a key factor throughout your work with Felt Bikes and at ENVE where you worked with Formula 1 R&D departments to develop ENVE’s Smart Series. How important is working with other companies and across disciplines for you?

It’s always been key for me. At Felt, it was clear that we were capable of playing with the big boys, and we needed a pioneer like Jonathan Vaughters to help us prove that, so I bugged the proverbial *** out of him to get on our bikes and take us with him to the Tour...and we went the following year. It put us on the map. At ENVE, we needed to be aero and we weren’t, so after watching Jenson Button win the 2009 Australian GP in the new car with the double diffuser, and thinking “that’s the kind of out the box thinking we need”, I called the head of trackside aerodynamics and ended up meeting and collaborating with Simon Smart to develop the Smart ENVE System. Funny how things work.
http://www.cccycle.co.uk/beverly-lucas-knight-composites/

Vaughters? Motors? Naaah. Psshhh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynLMfzLTc8M

Funny how things work indeed.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
"Hincapie is riding a new bike that was co-developed by his team in partnership with sponsor Giant. The team commissioned Simon Smart, a former Formula 1 aerodynamicist with 12 years of experience, to consult on the bike. Smart, who worked with the Red Bull F1 up until the end of last season, spent seven months working up the fastest shape he could using fluid dynamics software and the wind tunnel. The result is the bike Hincapie is currently suffering on. It’s a bike that the team believes is the fastest time-trial bike in the peloton."
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2008/07/news/road/live-coverage-stage-4-tour-de-france-2008_79594#APsOi4eFiXq6Lsse.99