• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Tienus said:
https://youtu.be/BFBV3F1vLYI?t=6m59s
fom 7:00

Stannard with a flat rear tire with a neutral service bike and car right behind him. He must have been feeling strong as he decided not to change and ride the next coble sector with the flat.
I don't have time to watch because I need to get ready for work, but did he end up getting a wheel change or a bike change from his team?

That seems odd at best. Why risk crashing from riding a flat unless...?
 
Jul 5, 2009
2,440
4
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Tienus said:
https://youtu.be/BFBV3F1vLYI?t=6m59s
fom 7:00

Stannard with a flat rear tire with a neutral service bike and car right behind him. He must have been feeling strong as he decided not to change and ride the next coble sector with the flat.
I don't have time to watch because I need to get ready for work, but did he end up getting a wheel change or a bike change from his team?

That seems odd at best. Why risk crashing from riding a flat unless...?
Yeah, that's one of the weirdest things I've seen in a long time. The neutral service moto and car were literally right beside him and he was struggling even before the cobbles. What reason could you have for NOT taking a wheel? He was at the back and his wheel was all over the place. He should have been worried about his rim coming apart too.

John Swanson
 
That was only sector 24 guys, so very early in the race with 130km still to go. Wallys and Delage had just been brought back by a growing main peloton of around 80 riders when Stannard had that slow puncture iirc. Sky were 3rd or 4th team car too I think, so why would any rider use Neutral Service wheel at that point in the race with a car so close to them behind the peloton with their spare bike on it anyway? Would be more suspicious a rider not using the team if you ask me when it's 10 seconds behind you with 130km still to go? Stannard & Hayman got back on long before Arenberg and was hardly a critical moment at the pointy end of the race for Stannard anyway. Sky had helpers with spare C50s at end of S24 anyway to mop up anyone puncturing on the cobbles.
 
Jul 5, 2009
2,440
4
0
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
That was only sector 24 guys, so very early in the race with 130km still to go. Wallys and Delage had just been brought back by a growing main peloton of around 80 riders when Stannard had that slow puncture iirc. Sky were 3rd or 4th team car too I think, so why would any rider use Neutral Service wheel at that point in the race with a car so close to them behind the peloton with their spare bike on it anyway? Would be more suspicious a rider not using the team if you ask me when it's 10 seconds behind you with 130km still to go? Stannard & Hayman got back on long before Arenberg and was hardly a critical moment at the pointy end of the race for Stannard anyway. Sky had helpers with spare C50s at end of S24 anyway to mop up anyone puncturing on the cobbles.
Then it's even stranger because you'd *definitely* stop and make the change rather than skating around on the cobbles, hoping not to biff while steadily losing time. Have you ever flatted in a race? You're looking for a wheel change as soon as possible, and if it's not happening, you're basically thinking about how you're going to get home.

John Swanson
 
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2
 
Re:

samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car (Vanmarcke Roubaix 2 years ago)
Lotto-Jumbo complained after the race

and yes, 131 km from the finish he had all the time to get back

DKAzaa4XkAEnIED.jpg
 
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service.

What would you do when you when you have a rear flat with a team car 10s behind just before entering a 2,3km coble sector?


Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

It looks like Stannard's tyre pressure is not optimal anyway.

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car

Thats actually a valid point as a rear wheel from the neutral car mounted the wrong way would be worse than riding with a flat.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car (Vanmarcke Roubaix 2 years ago)
Lotto-Jumbo complained after the race

and yes, 131 km from the finish he had all the time to get back

DKAzaa4XkAEnIED.jpg

I dont think the wheel put on the front that way had any negative effect. Now a back wheel.........

But Stannard not taking a wheel has so may unanswered questions and none of the above sky fans have satisfied.
 
Oct 4, 2011
905
0
0
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2
If the car is only 10 secs behind why risk butchering the wheel on cobbles ? he could just stop and change the wheel.
Agree with point on tyre pressure in Roubaix
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car (Vanmarcke Roubaix 2 years ago)
Lotto-Jumbo complained after the race

and yes, 131 km from the finish he had all the time to get back

DKAzaa4XkAEnIED.jpg

I dont think the wheel put on the front that way had any negative effect. Now a back wheel.........

But Stannard not taking a wheel has so may unanswered questions and none of the above sky fans have satisfied.

we can guess Stannard is dumb. because he should have stopped, got a wheel from the mavic car, then stopped again to get the motorized wheel from the Sky car after the cobble sector. with 129 K to go he would have had time to do that. wtf why didnt he think about that then! :D
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car (Vanmarcke Roubaix 2 years ago)
Lotto-Jumbo complained after the race

and yes, 131 km from the finish he had all the time to get back

DKAzaa4XkAEnIED.jpg

I dont think the wheel put on the front that way had any negative effect. Now a back wheel.........

But Stannard not taking a wheel has so may unanswered questions and none of the above sky fans have satisfied.

we can guess Stannard is dumb. because he should have stopped, got a wheel from the mavic car, then stopped again to get the motorized wheel from the Sky car after the cobble sector. with 129 K to go he would have had time to do that. wtf why didnt he think about that then! :D

Why guess the rider is dumb? Maybe they were waiting for a wheel to be changed away from cameras. But i doubt the riders call the shots. Sky DS makes the calls. So he was waiting to be told what to do. Sky DS may be dumb.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
Why guess the rider is dumb? Maybe they were waiting for a wheel to be changed away from cameras. But i doubt the riders call the shots. Sky DS makes the calls. So he was waiting to be told what to do. Sky DS may be dumb.


so if the motor is hidden inside the wheel, why wanting to change it away from the camera? the wheels all look the same ;)
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

pastronef said:
Benotti69 said:
Why guess the rider is dumb? Maybe they were waiting for a wheel to be changed away from cameras. But i doubt the riders call the shots. Sky DS makes the calls. So he was waiting to be told what to do. Sky DS may be dumb.


so if the motor is hidden inside the wheel, why wanting to change it away from the camera? the wheels all look the same ;)

True. So many whys........ :)
 
It's sector 24, the race hasn't even really separated yet, there's still 80 riders in the peloton Stannard has just punctured out of and it's not even on S24's cobbles yet. His team car is 3rd or 4th in the convoy literally, he will be able to see them when he looks over his shoulder! All he has to do is ride another 30 seconds and his car will be with him anyway.

Here's a comment from Le Calvez of Mavic Neutral Service recently interviewed specifically about the challenges he faces doing NS in Roubaix and even he confirms the teams easily handle all the punctures in the early sectors.

The first sectors see just a few flats, all of which are easily handled by team cars.

Stannard punctured after sector 25 (only the third sector into the race). Honestly, no rider will be taking Neutral Service wheels yet, what's the point?
 
Jul 5, 2009
2,440
4
0
Visit site
samhocking said:
It's sector 24, the race hasn't even really separated yet, there's still 80 riders in the peloton Stannard has just punctured out of and it's not even on S24's cobbles yet. His team car is 3rd or 4th in the convoy literally, he will be able to see them when he looks over his shoulder! All he has to do is ride another 30 seconds and his car will be with him anyway.

Here's a comment from Le Calvez of Mavic Neutral Service recently interviewed specifically about the challenges he faces doing NS in Roubaix and even he confirms the teams easily handle all the punctures in the early sectors.

The first sectors see just a few flats, all of which are easily handled by team cars.

Stannard punctured after sector 25 (only the third sector into the race). Honestly, no rider will be taking Neutral Service wheels yet, what's the point?
Then why didn't he wait 10 seconds to get a new wheel instead of riding an entire sector of pave with his rear wheel skating all over the place? The decision to keep riding makes no sense in any situation other than needing to hide something.

John Swanson
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
samhocking said:
He's not in a critical moment of the race though. He has a team car 10s behind him and he's team leader for the race so his bike will be on the outside of the team car and by using it, all risk of using Neutral Service is removed and it will be faster. Why do you think race leaders usually use a team mates wheel instead of Neutral Service. It's because there's risks using Neutral Service. Even more so in Roubaix so critical on tyre choice, tyre pressure and stable di2

and you could even get an old wheel mounted the wrong way from the neutral car (Vanmarcke Roubaix 2 years ago)
Lotto-Jumbo complained after the race

and yes, 131 km from the finish he had all the time to get back

DKAzaa4XkAEnIED.jpg

I dont think the wheel put on the front that way had any negative effect. Now a back wheel.........

But Stannard not taking a wheel has so may unanswered questions and none of the above sky fans have satisfied.

And what sector was that? Was it only the third sector of the race in a peloton of 80 at the head of the race with everyone team cars still in orderly fashion behind lol!
 
Re: Re:

ScienceIsCool said:
samhocking said:
That was only sector 24 guys, so very early in the race with 130km still to go. Wallys and Delage had just been brought back by a growing main peloton of around 80 riders when Stannard had that slow puncture iirc. Sky were 3rd or 4th team car too I think, so why would any rider use Neutral Service wheel at that point in the race with a car so close to them behind the peloton with their spare bike on it anyway? Would be more suspicious a rider not using the team if you ask me when it's 10 seconds behind you with 130km still to go? Stannard & Hayman got back on long before Arenberg and was hardly a critical moment at the pointy end of the race for Stannard anyway. Sky had helpers with spare C50s at end of S24 anyway to mop up anyone puncturing on the cobbles.
Then it's even stranger because you'd *definitely* stop and make the change rather than skating around on the cobbles, hoping not to biff while steadily losing time. Have you ever flatted in a race? You're looking for a wheel change as soon as possible, and if it's not happening, you're basically thinking about how you're going to get home.

John Swanson

I've stayed upright in a run to the line with a flat. Granted, I finished last, but I didn't crash.
Much more credible accounts of much better riders riding flat out on punctures can be found on Youtube. I don't recall the year, but I'm almost certain Indurain podiumed at the worlds after riding the final km's in wet weather on a flat. We're not talking a Vansummeran-type slow leak on his way to winning Roubaix.
His was a flat out flat. Rim be damned.
I don't think a rider would be too worried about handing over a wheel to Mavic support.
They're not there to police the sport. That's not their role.
And even if they did find a motor, lawsuits would be flying--eg "who was in possession of the wheel" etc. etc. and so on and so forth.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mavic wouldn't want to be a part of a huge controversy.
Their presence in the race is for adverts only.
 
Mar 12, 2014
227
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
ScienceIsCool said:
samhocking said:
That was only sector 24 guys, so very early in the race with 130km still to go. Wallys and Delage had just been brought back by a growing main peloton of around 80 riders when Stannard had that slow puncture iirc. Sky were 3rd or 4th team car too I think, so why would any rider use Neutral Service wheel at that point in the race with a car so close to them behind the peloton with their spare bike on it anyway? Would be more suspicious a rider not using the team if you ask me when it's 10 seconds behind you with 130km still to go? Stannard & Hayman got back on long before Arenberg and was hardly a critical moment at the pointy end of the race for Stannard anyway. Sky had helpers with spare C50s at end of S24 anyway to mop up anyone puncturing on the cobbles.
Then it's even stranger because you'd *definitely* stop and make the change rather than skating around on the cobbles, hoping not to biff while steadily losing time. Have you ever flatted in a race? You're looking for a wheel change as soon as possible, and if it's not happening, you're basically thinking about how you're going to get home.

John Swanson

I don't recall the year, but I'm almost certain indurain podiumed at the worlds after riding the final km's in wet weather on a flat. We're not talking a vansummeran-type slow leak on his way to winng roubaix. His was a flat out flat. Rim be damned.

That must've been Olano, WC in Colombia. He was ahead in the race, but only by a matter of seconds. The Spanish tactics were spot on that race, since everyone had expected Indurain to go for the win, but he allowed Olano to escape. Olano had to continue racing even with the flat tyre, otherwise the world champion would've been determined in a direct sprint between Indurain and Pantani.

Not quite comparable, though, is it?
 
ScienceIsCool said:
samhocking said:
It's sector 24, the race hasn't even really separated yet, there's still 80 riders in the peloton Stannard has just punctured out of and it's not even on S24's cobbles yet. His team car is 3rd or 4th in the convoy literally, he will be able to see them when he looks over his shoulder! All he has to do is ride another 30 seconds and his car will be with him anyway.

Here's a comment from Le Calvez of Mavic Neutral Service recently interviewed specifically about the challenges he faces doing NS in Roubaix and even he confirms the teams easily handle all the punctures in the early sectors.

The first sectors see just a few flats, all of which are easily handled by team cars.

Stannard punctured after sector 25 (only the third sector into the race). Honestly, no rider will be taking Neutral Service wheels yet, what's the point?
Then why didn't he wait 10 seconds to get a new wheel instead of riding an entire sector of pave with his rear wheel skating all over the place? The decision to keep riding makes no sense in any situation other than needing to hide something.

John Swanson

You see all the teams helpers at the end of each sector holding up a pair of wheels for their lead riders? They're there because riders puncture entering each sector and end up riding them on flat tyres until they get to them for a wheel change. It's pretty normal, certainly been done for the 35 years i've been watching. A rider punctured going over cobbles is simply part of the race, you expect riders to be doing that either riding while waiting for the Comm to give your team car pemission to move up ahead of the convoy to service you, or more often than not, the team will tell you to get services at the end of the sector because otherwise you're well out the race if using Neutral Service on a sector.
 
Jul 5, 2009
2,440
4
0
Visit site
samhocking said:
You see all the teams helpers at the end of each sector holding up a pair of wheels for their lead riders? They're there because riders puncture entering each sector and end up riding them on flat tyres until they get to them for a wheel change. It's pretty normal, certainly been done for the 35 years i've been watching. A rider punctured going over cobbles is simply part of the race, you expect riders to be doing that either riding while waiting for the Comm to give your team car pemission to move up ahead of the convoy to service you, or more often than not, the team will tell you to get services at the end of the sector because otherwise you're well out the race if using Neutral Service on a sector.
He punctured well before the sector. His car was ten seconds behind. Neutral service was literally all around him. But he chose to ride the pave and skate around, as we saw in the video, because... there's some dude's with wheels at the end of the sector? Does not pass the sniff test.

John Swanson
 
This is the mechanic who gave Stannard a new rear wheel at the end of sector 24. The Comm didn't actually give permission for lead Sky car to move up before sector 24 by the look of the video, because we see Comm pass Stannard rather than escorting a Sky car upto him from out of the convoy that would be the normal procedure for a puncture when safe to do so. Stannard had no option but to keep riding because if he took a wheel from a Mavic NS motorbike, the convoy of cars would pass him and his race is over. By riding on a flat he stayed within the race bubble (seemed to be hanging on back of peloton around 5s off it ok) and also knew in 2km time a spare wheel was available for sure. This was good race craft by Stannard and no doubt Knaven as DS will be all to familiar falling into the trap of taking a NS wheel from a motorbike on a wide road like that and ending up outside the bubble as a motorbike doesn't stop the convoy usually. There is no way I would take a NS wheel that would allow the racing bubble to pass me by on that road anyway. If it's not a car on a narrow road, everyone can pass you by. Why would you do that unless that is your last and only option of continuing the race? Stannard did the right thing if you ask me, in terms of wanting to get back into the race before the more race-defining sectors by hopping the convoy cars and so spending the least amount of energy. If a Classics rider can't ride an easier rated sector on a flat, they're really not much cop are they?

mechanic.png
 
Dec 28, 2016
8
0
0
Visit site
Re:

While initially I thought this was a really good find by tienus, after watching the footage a few times I think some of it can be rationally explained away.

First, Sky was the first team car in the line at 6:11 so they couldn’t have fallen back too much before Stannard was at the back of the group on camera with the flat. You would think he was probably riding near the front of the group, flatted and drifted to the back. He likely radioed the team car while he was still mid pack and that might explain why Sky were car #1 a few seconds before we saw Ian on camera.

I don’t know why he didn’t pull off before the cobbles to wait for the team car to get a new wheel or a new bike (since that actually seems faster these days). In hindsight, it was probably a mistake not to pull over immediately based on what actually transpired.

At the time of the flat, he had a couple of teammates in the group (#’s 22/24/26) so he could have easily told one of them to wait and give him a wheel if he didn’t want to take one from neutral support as he was the team leader for the day. But I think he was planning to get a wheel from the team car all along but they decided to wait until the end of the cobbles.

Why wait until after the cobbles to get a wheel from the team car? It was still early in the race so they probably expected the pace to be moderate over this section of cobbles. He had teammates that could drop out of the group and pace him back up if needed. He could ride at the back of the group and pick his own line even with a flat. If he let any cars pass the dust would be really bad (look at 9:00 for the dust the riders themselves create). And most importantly he couldn’t motorpace behind the car on the cobbles or take advantage of the magic spanner until they hit smooth roads. The plan was probably hang at the back and we’ll fix the flat from the team car as soon as Ian hits smooth pavement again.

Unfortunately things didn’t go as planned. The pace was fast, the group split, and there was a crash after the cobbles that further split the race. As a result, when he gets his wheel changed (I assume at the end of the cobbles as I couldn’t find video) he is much further behind the group than he was at the start of the cobbles and he just spent energy (physical/mental) riding a section on a flat tire. The chase is rather long as it looks like it takes until 31:08 for him to rejoin the group. He is on the same bike though as you can see a frame number attached.

Sam – Taking a wheel from the people on the side of the road is a last resort. They generally aren’t mechanics, rather soigneurs or someone who has a connection to the team (I think Cannondale used marketing guys at one point). When riders need to get a wheel from folks on the site of the road they generally end up installing it themselves. Think about it, the people on the side of the road are not experts at putting in wheels under high pressure and they have no idea a rider is going to be coming to them needing a wheel, so they can’t really prepare. Look at how badly some professional mechanics do jumping out of the team car to put on a wheel. These side of the road folks would fair much poorer. Neutral support would be better than getting a wheel from the side of the road.

Also, your point about being outside the “bubble” of the race does not make sense. Before the cobbles he is at the back of the group just in front of the neutral support and team cars. Where is he at the end of the cobbles? Same place, if he is lucky. Even with a 30 second wheel change he is still going to be in the caravan as there are two sets of team cars and his own team car will be behind him after the wheel change.

Also, if the wheel was worth $20K you wouldn't want to destroy it riding it with a flat on the cobbles.
 
Re: Re:

HSNHSN said:
the delgados said:
ScienceIsCool said:
samhocking said:
That was only sector 24 guys, so very early in the race with 130km still to go. Wallys and Delage had just been brought back by a growing main peloton of around 80 riders when Stannard had that slow puncture iirc. Sky were 3rd or 4th team car too I think, so why would any rider use Neutral Service wheel at that point in the race with a car so close to them behind the peloton with their spare bike on it anyway? Would be more suspicious a rider not using the team if you ask me when it's 10 seconds behind you with 130km still to go? Stannard & Hayman got back on long before Arenberg and was hardly a critical moment at the pointy end of the race for Stannard anyway. Sky had helpers with spare C50s at end of S24 anyway to mop up anyone puncturing on the cobbles.
Then it's even stranger because you'd *definitely* stop and make the change rather than skating around on the cobbles, hoping not to biff while steadily losing time. Have you ever flatted in a race? You're looking for a wheel change as soon as possible, and if it's not happening, you're basically thinking about how you're going to get home.

John Swanson

I don't recall the year, but I'm almost certain indurain podiumed at the worlds after riding the final km's in wet weather on a flat. We're not talking a vansummeran-type slow leak on his way to winng roubaix. His was a flat out flat. Rim be damned.

That must've been Olano, WC in Colombia. He was ahead in the race, but only by a matter of seconds. The Spanish tactics were spot on that race, since everyone had expected Indurain to go for the win, but he allowed Olano to escape. Olano had to continue racing even with the flat tyre, otherwise the world champion would've been determined in a direct sprint between Indurain and Pantani.

Not quite comparable, though, is it?

I dunno. You tell me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtqNQJQcuU
All things considered, his one-handed victory pose was pretty impressive.
 
Quickturns said:
While initially I thought this was a really good find by tienus, after watching the footage a few times I think some of it can be rationally explained away.

First, Sky was the first team car in the line at 6:11 so they couldn’t have fallen back too much before Stannard was at the back of the group on camera with the flat. You would think he was probably riding near the front of the group, flatted and drifted to the back. He likely radioed the team car while he was still mid pack and that might explain why Sky were car #1 a few seconds before we saw Ian on camera.

I don’t know why he didn’t pull off before the cobbles to wait for the team car to get a new wheel or a new bike (since that actually seems faster these days). In hindsight, it was probably a mistake not to pull over immediately based on what actually transpired.

At the time of the flat, he had a couple of teammates in the group (#’s 22/24/26) so he could have easily told one of them to wait and give him a wheel if he didn’t want to take one from neutral support as he was the team leader for the day. But I think he was planning to get a wheel from the team car all along but they decided to wait until the end of the cobbles.

Why wait until after the cobbles to get a wheel from the team car? It was still early in the race so they probably expected the pace to be moderate over this section of cobbles. He had teammates that could drop out of the group and pace him back up if needed. He could ride at the back of the group and pick his own line even with a flat. If he let any cars pass the dust would be really bad (look at 9:00 for the dust the riders themselves create). And most importantly he couldn’t motorpace behind the car on the cobbles or take advantage of the magic spanner until they hit smooth roads. The plan was probably hang at the back and we’ll fix the flat from the team car as soon as Ian hits smooth pavement again.

Unfortunately things didn’t go as planned. The pace was fast, the group split, and there was a crash after the cobbles that further split the race. As a result, when he gets his wheel changed (I assume at the end of the cobbles as I couldn’t find video) he is much further behind the group than he was at the start of the cobbles and he just spent energy (physical/mental) riding a section on a flat tire. The chase is rather long as it looks like it takes until 31:08 for him to rejoin the group. He is on the same bike though as you can see a frame number attached.

Sam – Taking a wheel from the people on the side of the road is a last resort. They generally aren’t mechanics, rather soigneurs or someone who has a connection to the team (I think Cannondale used marketing guys at one point). When riders need to get a wheel from folks on the site of the road they generally end up installing it themselves. Think about it, the people on the side of the road are not experts at putting in wheels under high pressure and they have no idea a rider is going to be coming to them needing a wheel, so they can’t really prepare. Look at how badly some professional mechanics do jumping out of the team car to put on a wheel. These side of the road folks would fair much poorer. Neutral support would be better than getting a wheel from the side of the road.

Also, your point about being outside the “bubble” of the race does not make sense. Before the cobbles he is at the back of the group just in front of the neutral support and team cars. Where is he at the end of the cobbles? Same place, if he is lucky. Even with a 30 second wheel change he is still going to be in the caravan as there are two sets of team cars and his own team car will be behind him after the wheel change.

Also, if the wheel was worth $20K you wouldn't want to destroy it riding it with a flat on the cobbles.

No, Skyhad someone in a Sky top, 10m away from a Team Sky car holding a rear Shimano C50 wheel up and another staff member also in a Sky top holding out bottles 20m ahead of him. Watch the footage, the Team Sky car is parked on the right at the end of Sector 24. Stannard used that Wheel as I explain below.

You have to appreciate how small the convoy is behind the peloton at Paris Roubaix most of the time, because the race is so fragmented behind it even after just 3 sectors, but gaps not greater than a minute so there are no team cars near you when in the peloton. Your team car simply won't be allowed to get up to you on the sectors or just before a sector. When Stannard punctured, there was a convoy behind him of the Comm, Mavic Bike, Mavic Car and maybe a Press car following the pelton. Maybe 4 or 5 car convoy max.
This picture is a view from Quickstep Team Car in position 1 of the Convoy of team cars looking upto the main peloton just after Sector 24 as the Comm is about to escort them up to Peloton. As you can see, IF Stannard took that NS wheel he ends up in NO MANS LAND between Peloton and the Team Car for the sector 24 which is bad tactically. Why would you or rather your DS disadvantage their lead rider with an unfamiliar wheel, risk of poorer gears, incorrect tyre pressure, knowing a replacement wheel is only 2km up the road anyway for Stannard and the effort to rejoin will be less and likelihood that gap opens to a minute means the Comm allows team cars through anyway by the time you finish it anyway. It's basic tactics in the cobbled classics to not use NS unless you have to. Stannard didn't have to, he had his own wheel just 2km ahead at the end of the sector and his Team car behind him, who would be let through by the Comm after the sector too.

Varjas claims the special wheels with motors in rims and frame cost upwards of 200k euro. What rebels Sky are willing to smash open a 200k wheel on cobbles for everyone to see including 100M viewers live on TV lol!

teamcars.png