• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 202 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A couple of years ago, it was Bahrain Suspicious. Last year, TJV did something extraordinary. It's a thing that goes around in the peloton.
When Colbrelli almost died and their hotel was raided, it was clear that Bahrain's performance had dropped. Same with Jumbo after Hessmann. Decathlan also had a reprimand, but it had no effect on them, Baudin and the whole team are better than ever.

When Colbrelli almost died and their hotel was raided, it was clear that Bahrain's performance had dropped. Same with Jumbo after Hessmann. Decathlan also had a reprimand, but it had no effect on them, Baudin and the whole team are better than ever.

Hessmann tested pos in May 2023 and the news came out in August. in August/September Jumbo won the Vuelta (full podium), Burgos, Britain, Emilia, Bernocchi, Guangxi, Musterland. this year they won Omloop-Kuurne, Gran Camino, Paris-Nice, Tirreno, Dwars, before the 2 big stars crash.

Baudin took his months off, and then was allowed to come back.

Bahrain hotel was raided in summer 2022 (we still waiting for the French to find something illegal). in 2023 they won 2 Giro stage (and 4th in GC), 3 Tour stages, 1 Vuelta stage, GC podiums in Itzulia, Romandie, DownUnder. podiums in Liege, Fleche.

Reactions: Slavique Nuke
Gall will certainly lose time on the descents and ITT, but in the mountains he will be there with Pog and Vingegaard.

It's weird how a big money sponsor worth billions of euros selling budget bikes shows up at the team and suddenly the whole team starts flying.

let's see if Decathlon-Ford mountain bike xc team will win many races this year, same sponsor.
Gall does what he can do, go fast uphill. if he'll fight for seconds in TT with Pog and Rog I will raise my eyebrows. we've seen teams finally getting great results after some years (yet Ag2r podiumed Dauphiné last year, Gall did a great Tour, both O'Connor and Gall were already strong last year)
I repeat, when Ag2r goes for monuments and WT stage races win I'll probably try to watch them the way you do. until then and any UCI letter, I'll just enjoy their great season

Sporza'a "Spy in the Peloton" says there is no motor doping ...
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...agine-to-get-away-with-it-with-all-the-checks
"You would sometimes think that Tadej Pogacar drives a moped, but unfortunately that is not the case. In the peloton there is never really any talk about motorcycles." ... But I do notice that we are being checked a lot for motorcycles this year," he says, noting that sometimes teams kept being checked every day of a race.

original article at - (googling translation)
https://sporza.be/nl/2024/05/24/spi...eel-gecontroleerd-op-motortjes~1716540860723/
"By the way, the UCI has pushed the accelerator even harder in recent weeks."

"In recent years, the fight against mechanical doping has been one of Michael Rogers' many tasks."

"But recently, Rogers has been pushed aside and an American ex-detective has been brought in. It is "dedicated" in the detection of technological fraud."

"The fact that the UCI now dedicates a full-time job to that task will certainly have its reasons."

There have been enough proven and highly suspicious cases of motor doping it wouldn’t be surprising to see a scandal at the top of the sport. The UCI will have an active interest in making sure that never happens though. If anything the high number of bike checks make it seem easier to cover up. Nothing this year has looked overly suspicious despite the huge escapades though…

There have been enough proven and highly suspicious cases of motor doping it wouldn’t be surprising to see a scandal at the top of the sport. The UCI will have an active interest in making sure that never happens though. If anything the high number of bike checks make it seem easier to cover up. Nothing this year has looked overly suspicious despite the huge escapades though…
Pogs mountain accelerations are generally always laughable though.

UCI: "We can guarantee the fairness of cycling competition" :D
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road...ests-for-technological-fraud-and-anti-doping/
The UCI has said that a new non-intrusive inspection tool will be added to the previous checks, with further details of this being apparently kept undisclosed after the conclusion of the race.

In addition, it said that suspect bikes may be dismantled if the need arises.
Last year’s Tour saw a total of 997 bike checks carried out, with no cases of technological fraud detected.

The UCI has appealed for anyone with information on possible technological fraud to report those concerns confidentially on the UCI SpeakUp platform.
So how's the yankee ex-detective doing with his snooping and checking?

• Haha
Reactions: E_F_
Lappi & Nicki are going to bust those cheats! (sounds like a bad TV series)
Ghost in the machine podcast gets UCI prez to talk motors.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...s-for-motor-doping-tip-offs-at-tour-de-france

David Lappartient, the president of the UCI, supported by the former US Homeland Security investigator Nick Raudenski, the UCI’s new head of the fight against technological fraud, is ramping up efforts to detect cheats.
“We will pay if it’s a case,” he said. “This is a way to show that we really take this seriously.”
(Why have I got the feeling that this is all some distraction and the teams are sitting and laughing whilst being pumped with the latest chemical wonder?)

Anti-motor doping Tzar goes from UAE to the International Testing Agency. Coincidence? I think not! (takes off tin-foil hat :) )
https://www.acams.org/en/staff/nicholas-raudenski-speaker
"Nick had a successful 13-year career as a senior criminal investigator and supervisory special agent at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Prior to leaving the government, he held a diplomatic position at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E."

• Angry
Reactions: E_F_
Wow the UCI is really hammering and hamming it up on the anti-moto doping front, but with nary a hint of any findings. "Look how legit we are!"

I mean, I'm a bit skeptical there are currently motors powering people away. The consequences are simply too huge, even compared to biological factors of doping. This said, I've certainly seen accelerations that defy the logic of regular physiology.

So does anyone want to chat a bit about Cancellara in 2010?

Boonen seems convinced a motor was involved. The attack on de Muur looked surreal. Molenberg was also super strong. That was after he did his double bike change. First on screen looking down at his bike at the top of the Eikenberg, finally changes his bike 3 km later at the end of the Holleweg after exactly 3 min with a bike defect. For sure not a flat tire - they may have said brake problem, but he certainly trusted his brakes when he got off the bike. Then 4.7 km on after Kerkgate the mechanic has fixed the bike and has taken a short cut and what looks to be an official is standing at the side of the road waiting for him with it. On previous climbs Cancelarra looked like he was having a terrible day - not just unable to follow his teammate Matti Breschel and Tom Boonen, but falling back through the bunch. Right after Cancellara's bike change Breschel also has a horribly botched bike change after riding for 2 min with a mechanical...

Jul 18, 2024
Visit site
So does anyone want to chat a bit about Cancellara in 2010?

Boonen seems convinced a motor was involved. The attack on de Muur looked surreal. Molenberg was also super strong. That was after he did his double bike change. First on screen looking down at his bike at the top of the Eikenberg, finally changes his bike 3 km later at the end of the Holleweg after exactly 3 min with a bike defect. For sure not a flat tire - they may have said brake problem, but he certainly trusted his brakes when he got off the bike. Then 4.7 km on after Kerkgate the mechanic has fixed the bike and has taken a short cut and what looks to be an official is standing at the side of the road waiting for him with it. On previous climbs Cancelarra looked like he was having a terrible day - not just unable to follow his teammate Matti Breschel and Tom Boonen, but falling back through the bunch. Right after Cancellara's bike change Breschel also has a horribly botched bike change after riding for 2 min with a mechanical...
I do not know really. It did not seem very suspicious at the time it happened. Cancellara has beaten basically the same field on similar parcours just a week earlier on E3. He did that without suspicious bike changes and without otherwordly looking attacks. I do not know if we have any estimates of his power on Muur but just from comparing times with 2011 Ronde it looks like 2010 Boonen was 6s slower than all the front group in 2011 on the steeper part of Muur. Also attacking from the saddle part of story makes no sense when you watched other races too, Cancellara was making in the saddle attacks even on flat roads quite often. When we are talking about steep cobbled climbs I think it would be hard to find him attacking out of saddle at all. And obviously he was convincingly winning almost every bigger time trial at this time. So either he was using motor on almost every occasion or he was just the strongest guy at 2010 Ronde like he was on many other races at that time. I am not thinking he was clean at all, especially not under Riis but we do not really have any hard evidence to call this particular result being won by motor dopper.

BTW Matti Breschel was genuinely pissed off on his team after the race for getting Stuart O'Grady's bike. But why would both your leaders desperately had to change seemingly perfectly working bike EXACTLY at the time when race was really about to kick-off remains a mystery to me.

Last edited:
I've not been paying attention to this thread for a long time, so this only just caught my eye, but are you telling me that "Ferrari" Mick "Freiburg" Rogers, Teflon Don and one of the most egregious uncaught dopers of an era which was incredibly heavy in doping, had an important role in preventing cheating in cycling?

That explains, like, a lot. That is more ridiculous than David Millar cheating clean cyclists out of their career, then sitting on UCI's anti-doping panel instead of somebody that wasn't a known cheat because he had the inside track thanks to his having been a cheat.

Talk about foxes guarding the hen house. Next they'll hire Michael Albasini to chair the UCI anti-discrimination panel or something.