• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So does the CF news weaken the motor argument? If motors are as 'advanced' as some people are asserting why would he need to OD on chemicals?

Before you even go there, IMO motors exist and have been used in the platoon, they just aren't as magical as many profess (read upthread for my too many opinions:)).

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
So does the CF news weaken the motor argument? If motors are as 'advanced' as some people are asserting why would he need to OD on chemicals?

Before you even go there, IMO motors exist and have been used in the platoon, they just aren't as magical as many profess (read upthread for my too many opinions:)).

When i look at the harpin move from poels/froome, perhaps the answer is that motors being apllied with as little risk as possible- is simply a small booster to add to other marginal gains. Like using inhalors to transport drugs more efficiently through the system.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

Re: Re:

mrhender said:
jmdirt said:

When i look at the harpin move from poels/froome, perhaps the answer is that motors being apllied with as little risk as possible- is simply a small booster to add to other marginal gains. Like using inhalors to transport drugs more efficiently through the system.

Yup, classic application of "marginal gains".

I'm sure Cancellara could have won the Tour de France 5 times if the motor was left running but he decided not to push things that far.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

DanielSong39 said:
mrhender said:
jmdirt said:

Yup, classic application of "marginal gains".

I'm sure Cancellara could have won the Tour de France 5 times if the motor was left running but he decided not to push things that far.

Yeah, only Team Sky riders use motors to win GTs :lol:

Re:

jmdirt said:

Yes and no, in my view. Yes, it weakens the arguments regarding of the prevalence of motors and the notions of how much riders may be relying on them. No, it doesn't explain some of the fairly obvious uses of motors we've seen which don't seem to have any other explanation.

But I've always thought this thread was irrational and paranoid more than it was on-point, so it may just be confirmation bias on my part. Obviously motors are a thing. Seeing them every time someone puts in a hard acceleration or has a mechanical starts to look dumb.

red_flanders said:
jmdirt said:

Yes and no, in my view. Yes, it weakens the arguments regarding of the prevalence of motors and the notions of how much riders may be relying on them. No, it doesn't explain some of the fairly obvious uses of motors we've seen which don't seem to have any other explanation.

But I've always thought this thread was irrational and paranoid more than it was on-point, so it may just be confirmation bias on my part. Obviously motors are a thing. Seeing them every time someone puts in a hard acceleration or has a mechanical starts to look dumb.

It's also true that people are getting trolled for suspecting a motor when someone puts in a hard acceleration that does not cause the bike to sway, accelerates around a hairpin while remaining perfectly upright, accelerates on a flat without pedaling at all, or blows everyone away the day after bonking and losing time.

Some skepticism is healthy but it should have some limits.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
oops! forgot about the language restriction...
Apparently two French judges, Claire Thépaut and Serge Tournaire, are investigating the subject of well known riders who may have benefitted from the latest technological advances in the field of electric motors

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Dopage-mecanique-deux-juges-francais-enquetent-sur-les-moteurs-selon-le-canard-enchaine/860922

Un front judiciaire est aussi ouvert depuis quelques mois, annonce Le Canard enchaîné dans son édition de mercredi : à la suite d'une enquête préliminaire du parquet financier, les juges d'instruction Claire Thépaut et Serge Tournaire ont été nommés l'été dernier pour enquêter sur le sujet.

« Appuyés par la division des infractions financières de la gendarmerie, ils épluchent les liens entre équipes internationales, sociétés privées et hautes instances du cyclisme», explique Le Canard enchaîné. Selon l'hebdomadaire, les deux juges soupçonnent «un pacte de corruption scellé au plus haut niveau international» qui aurait «profité à de très grands coureurs» : «Il leur aurait permis de bénéficier des dernières avancées technologiques en matière de... moteurs électriques.

Google translate:
A judicial front is also open for a few months, announces Le Canard chained in its edition of Wednesday: following a preliminary investigation of the prosecutor's office, the judges of instruction Claire Thépaut and Serge Tournaire were named last summer for investigate the subject.

"Supported by the financial crimes division of the gendarmerie, they peel links between international teams, private companies and high authorities of cycling," says Le Canard chained. According to the weekly, the two judges suspect "a corruption pact sealed at the highest international level" that would have "benefited very great runners": "It would have allowed them to benefit from the latest technological advances in terms of ... engines electric.

Canard Enchaine is rarely wrong about these things. If their sources say there is an investigation, there probably is.

If Serge Tournaire is part of it, that's also huge. He is the judge who was in charge of the investigations into political figures like Fillon (the make-work jobs for his family that derailed his campaign this year) and Sarkozy and, I think, the Tapie affair. Following the money is his speciality.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Un front judiciaire est aussi ouvert depuis quelques mois, annonce Le Canard enchaîné dans son édition de mercredi : à la suite d'une enquête préliminaire du parquet financier, les juges d'instruction Claire Thépaut et Serge Tournaire ont été nommés l'été dernier pour enquêter sur le sujet.
« Appuyés par la division des infractions financières de la gendarmerie, ils épluchent les liens entre équipes internationales, sociétés privées et hautes instances du cyclisme», explique Le Canard enchaîné. Selon l'hebdomadaire, les deux juges soupçonnent «un pacte de corruption scellé au plus haut niveau international» qui aurait «profité à de très grands coureurs» : «Il leur aurait permis de bénéficier des dernières avancées technologiques en matière de... moteurs électriques.
Google translate:
A judicial front is also open for a few months, announces Le Canard chained in its edition of Wednesday: following a preliminary investigation of the prosecutor's office, the judges of instruction Claire Thépaut and Serge Tournaire were named last summer for investigate the subject.
"Supported by the financial crimes division of the gendarmerie, they peel links between international teams, private companies and high authorities of cycling," says Le Canard chained. According to the weekly, the two judges suspect "a corruption pact sealed at the highest international level" that would have "benefited very great runners": "It would have allowed them to benefit from the latest technological advances in terms of ... engines electric.

Luigi Translate:

A judicial front has also been open for a few months, Le Canard Enchaîné announced in its Wednesday edition. Following a preliminary investigation by the Financial Prosecuting Service, magistrates Claire Thépaut and Serge Tournaire were assigned last summer to investigate the subject.

"Supported by the financial crimes division of the police, they are sifting through links exposed between international teams, private companies and high authorities of cycling," Le Canard Enchaîné explains. According to the weekly magazine, the two judges suspect "a corruption pact sealed at the highest international level" that would have "benefited very prominent riders": "It would have allowed them to benefit from the latest technological advances in the area of electric motors."

coureurs = riders (racing cyclists), not runners. Track runners can also be coureurs but it means bike riders in this case

Wow. That could be major.

Good work Brian.... :rolleyes:

303ajux.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
samhocking said:
The French really want their Tour back this week. First Froome's leaked AAF ahead of UCI's final decision, MPCC demanding he is suspended outside the rules and now French Magistrates looking for Varjas's watermelon sized motors squeezed into a tiny Shimano C50 hub lol!

I think maybe sporting fraud is a serious issue for the French in their premier event that has huge implications.

Pretty normal to want to do something about that.

TRENDING THREADS