Movie Thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mean Streets (1973) - I don't mind movies that seem to go nowhere (in terms of action and such), but this one I thought really went nowhere.

I don't mind foul language and violence if it's warranted, but I think this is where Scorsese and DeNiro were just beginning to experiment with how far they could take it. Their later movies were a lot more polished, methinks.
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Mean Streets (1973) - I don't mind movies that seem to go nowhere (in terms of action and such), but this one I thought really went nowhere.

I don't mind foul language and violence if it's warranted, but I think this is where Scorsese and DeNiro were just beginning to experiment with how far they could take it. Their later movies were a lot more polished, methinks.
I still liked it. One of my favourite Scorsese movies, low budget and all. Great acting. I thought Casino was a bit underrated also. Preferred it to the Goodfellas even though the Goodfellas had some great scenes. Haven't liked Scorsese's later career output so much.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Mean Streets (1973) - I don't mind movies that seem to go nowhere (in terms of action and such), but this one I thought really went nowhere.

I don't mind foul language and violence if it's warranted, but I think this is where Scorsese and DeNiro were just beginning to experiment with how far they could take it. Their later movies were a lot more polished, methinks.
I still liked it. One of my favourite Scorsese movies, low budget and all. Great acting. I thought Casino was a bit underrated also. Preferred it to the Goodfellas even though the Goodfellas had some great scenes. Haven't liked Scorsese's later career output so much.
The Departed and Shutter Island were still great. Let's see how The Irishman will be.
 
Re: Re:

Laplaz said:
movingtarget said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Mean Streets (1973) - I don't mind movies that seem to go nowhere (in terms of action and such), but this one I thought really went nowhere.

I don't mind foul language and violence if it's warranted, but I think this is where Scorsese and DeNiro were just beginning to experiment with how far they could take it. Their later movies were a lot more polished, methinks.
I still liked it. One of my favourite Scorsese movies, low budget and all. Great acting. I thought Casino was a bit underrated also. Preferred it to the Goodfellas even though the Goodfellas had some great scenes. Haven't liked Scorsese's later career output so much.
The Departed and Shutter Island were still great. Let's see how The Irishman will be.
Agree about The Departed not so much Shutter Island.
 
Logan's Run (1976) - Just had to watch this again being Amazon Prime currently offers it at no additional cost...

The dialogue and acting are just atrocious, had to laugh several times when I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to. The scenery and special effects are terribly cheesy, but I thought they were endearing in their own way. (I actually preferred when the action took place in the city, I got to see more cheesy effects this way.) The second half outside the city was beginning to drag, but all in all this is, imo, one of those "this could have been so much worse" sci-fi flicks.

Next I'll be tackling Westworld (1973), which I've also seen some time ago, but can't remember a thing.
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Logan's Run (1976) - Just had to watch this again being Amazon Prime currently offers it at no additional cost...

The dialogue and acting are just atrocious, had to laugh several times when I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to. The scenery and special effects are terribly cheesy, but I thought they were endearing in their own way. (I actually preferred when the action took place in the city, I got to see more cheesy effects this way.) The second half outside the city was beginning to drag, but all in all this is, imo, one of those "this could have been so much worse" sci-fi flicks.

Next I'll be tackling Westworld (1973), which I've also seen some time ago, but can't remember a thing.
Logan's Run a fun B-grader.......Westworld was better. Futureworld was awful.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Logan's Run a fun B-grader.......Westworld was better. Futureworld was awful.
The trivia section at IMDb is usually fun to read, apparently the sets and special effects for Logan's Run were the most costly at the time. I can just imagine someone lovingly constructing the city sets out of cardboard boxes...

A fun factoid is the Carousel victims were actually really floating in the air being they were connected with wires, apparently at one point they got really entangled. Considering how intricate this scene looks this should really come as no surprise. What does come as a surprise is that no one got hurt shooting this scene, given how you hear about accidents at Cirque du Soleil and such.

Will keep you posted on what I think of Westworld, I actually really like these cheesy old sci-fi flicks.
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
Logan's Run a fun B-grader.......Westworld was better. Futureworld was awful.
The trivia section at IMDb is usually fun to read, apparently the sets and special effects for Logan's Run were the most costly at the time. I can just imagine someone lovingly constructing the city sets out of cardboard boxes...

A fun factoid is the Carousel victims were actually really floating in the air being they were connected with wires, apparently at one point they got really entangled. Considering how intricate this scene looks this should really come as no surprise. What does come as a surprise is that no one got hurt shooting this scene, given how you hear about accidents at Cirque du Soleil and such.

Will keep you posted on what I think of Westworld, I actually really like these cheesy old sci-fi flicks.

Not surprised at all by that. Those some very good special effects for the time. Also not surprised the Carousel victims were on wires with how they went all out for the special effects. However, you are correct that it is a bit of a surprise no one was hurt.
 
The Aviator and The Wolf of Wall Street were amazing movies as well.

The most recent movies I have seen are The Last Jedi and Doom. I haven't been as fond of Episode 7 or 8 as I am for the other Star Wars movies. I like Doom depsite the hate it gets even though there isn't much you can do movie wise with Doom 1 or 2 while the Doom movie was based off Doom 3.

The next movies I am going to watch is The Hobbit and than Lord of the Rings with the extended editions.
 
Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
The Aviator and The Wolf of Wall Street were amazing movies as well.

The most recent movies I have seen are The Last Jedi and Doom. I haven't been as fond of Episode 7 or 8 as I am for the other Star Wars movies. I like Doom depsite the hate it gets even though there isn't much you can do movie wise with Doom 1 or 2 while the Doom movie was based off Doom 3.

The next movies I am going to watch is The Hobbit and than Lord of the Rings with the extended editions.
Never saw The Aviator. Wolf of Wall Street I liked in parts but wouldn't watch it again. Went off Star Wars after the second trilogy. Really only liked the first two movies. Enjoyed Lord of The Rings up to a point, The Hobbit not quite as much. Think I liked the first LOTR movie the most and the second Hobbit movie. Original Star Wars movie was my favourite but Empire Strikes Back was also good. The first Resident Evil movie was also fun. Haven't seen Doom. The Alien movies were more my thing but I found the prequels a bit disappointing even though they looked great. Blade Runner sequel was pretty good but I preferred the original.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
SHAD0W93 said:
The Aviator and The Wolf of Wall Street were amazing movies as well.

The most recent movies I have seen are The Last Jedi and Doom. I haven't been as fond of Episode 7 or 8 as I am for the other Star Wars movies. I like Doom depsite the hate it gets even though there isn't much you can do movie wise with Doom 1 or 2 while the Doom movie was based off Doom 3.

The next movies I am going to watch is The Hobbit and than Lord of the Rings with the extended editions.
Never saw The Aviator. Wolf of Wall Street I liked in parts but wouldn't watch it again. Went off Star Wars after the second trilogy. Really only liked the first two movies. Enjoyed Lord of The Rings up to a point, The Hobbit not quite as much. Think I liked the first LOTR movie the most and the second Hobbit movie. Original Star Wars movie was my favourite but Empire Strikes Back was also good. The first Resident Evil movie was also fun. Haven't seen Doom. The Alien movies were more my thing but I found the prequels a bit disappointing even though they looked great. Blade Runner sequel was pretty good but I preferred the original.
The Aviator is a tamer Wolf of Wall Street with less drugs and alcohol. The movie is also really factual with events about Howard Hughes.

I was 8 when Episode 1 came out and started watching Star Wars when I was like 3 so was very into it. I really enjoy the Tolkien movies and books with the last one in each trilogy my favorite. If you liked those movies than you should enjoy Doom. The Rock and Karl Urban have good performances in the movie.
 
Westworld (1973) - Despite the cheesy special effects (which are totally understandable given the era, and which I think makes them endearing), it's actually a pretty enjoyable sci-fi flick. I kinda wish more of the action had taken place in the other themed worlds being I'm not a huge fan of the wild, wild west, but other than that it wasn't bad at all. Yul Brynner was perfectly menacing.

Fun factoid about this flick - apparently they had used a real snake that had been milked prior to filming, evidently it did actually bite James Brolin despite his arm being wrapped in leather. Couldn't they have used a rubber one? That kind of method acting just isn't terribly necessary, imo.

I don't get HBO, I take it there is a series now that is a sequel to the film and is actually pretty good?
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Westworld (1973) - Despite the cheesy special effects (which are totally understandable given the era, and which I think makes them endearing), it's actually a pretty enjoyable sci-fi flick. I kinda wish more of the action had taken place in the other themed worlds being I'm not a huge fan of the wild, wild west, but other than that it wasn't bad at all. Yul Brynner was perfectly menacing.

Fun factoid about this flick - apparently they had used a real snake that had been milked prior to filming, evidently it did actually bite James Brolin despite his arm being wrapped in leather. Couldn't they have used a rubber one? That kind of method acting just isn't terribly necessary, imo.

I don't get HBO, I take it there is a series now that is a sequel to the film and is actually pretty good?
I tried to watch the series but didn't like it. Seems to have a cult following. The movie still stands up. One of Yul Brynner's best movies. James Brolin was good as well.
 
Ponty Python's The Life of Brian (1979) - eh, thought it was so much funnier the first few times I had watched it some decades ago when I was much younger, but once I had to explain what's going on in the flick to an elderly client of mine recently (who hadn't seen it before) the old black sense of humor came right back to me. This one is definitely a classic! :cool:

Copycat (1995) - This one I had also seen several times before in my youth, but at this point in life I just think it's a really stupid kind of thriller.
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Ponty Python's The Life of Brian (1979) - eh, thought it was so much funnier the first few times I had watched it some decades ago when I was much younger, but once I had to explain what's going on in the flick to an elderly client of mine recently (who hadn't seen it before) the old black sense of humor came right back to me. This one is definitely a classic! :cool:

Copycat (1995) - This one I had also seen several times before in my youth, but at this point in life I just think it's a really stupid kind of thriller.
Yes Monty Python has more impact on young men but it's still probably their best movie. Copycat was okay, the sort of thing you can watch with one eye open...........Sigourney Weaver gave it a bit of class acting wise.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Yes Monty Python has more impact on young men but it's still probably their best movie. Copycat was okay, the sort of thing you can watch with one eye open...........Sigourney Weaver gave it a bit of class acting wise.
Do you like Angelina Jolie? I ask because I had just watched another stinker of a thriller called The Bone Collector (1999), she seemed terribly miscast. Like sure, a renowned former forensics expert will just put all his trust into a gorgeous rookie to solve some serial killings...

Besides that, while the murders were quite gruesome I think The Bone Collector was a poor Silence of the Lambs and Seven knock-off. I just had to roll my eyes throughout the movie, besides some plot holes there were quite a few situations I thought were improbable.
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
Yes Monty Python has more impact on young men but it's still probably their best movie. Copycat was okay, the sort of thing you can watch with one eye open...........Sigourney Weaver gave it a bit of class acting wise.
Do you like Angelina Jolie? I ask because I had just watched another stinker of a thriller called The Bone Collector (1999), she seemed terribly miscast. Like sure, a renowned former forensics expert will just put all his trust into a gorgeous rookie to solve some serial killings...

Besides that, while the murders were quite gruesome I think The Bone Collector was a poor Silence of the Lambs and Seven knock-off. I just had to roll my eyes throughout the movie, besides some plot holes there were quite a few situations I thought were improbable.
I thought she was good in Girl Interrupted and a few other movies but she may turn out to be a better director than an actress. Her directing efforts have been pretty good. The Bone Collector of course wasn't in the class of the other two movies. Pretty mediocre, a B movie with an A list cast and budget. Of the three I think Seven was the best and possibly David Fincher's best movie as well. I thought Fincher's, Fight Club was overrated but it was good in parts.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
I thought she was good in Girl Interrupted and a few other movies but she may turn out to be a better director than an actress. Her directing efforts have been pretty good. The Bone Collector of course wasn't in the class of the other two movies. Pretty mediocre, a B movie with an A list cast and budget. Of the three I think Seven was the best and possibly David Fincher's best movie as well. I thought Fincher's, Fight Club was overrated but it was good in parts.
Funny you should mention Fincher, I thought about watching Zodiac again (which I thought was okay enough), but seeing as I had already seen in it a couple of times I passed on it. And I did see Fight Club a long time ago, but that's about all I remember about that movie. :Neutral:

Having passed on Zodiac I watched The Departed again last night instead (saw it a long time ago)... clearly Scorsese had too much of a budget to play with because he just didn't seem to know when to say when. The rest of the star actors I didn't mind too much, but if he had just passed on Jack Nicholson, I tired of Nicholson a long time ago. His character was just so cartoonish and over-the-top, apparently Nicholson himself had some input about the scenes he was in, and it showed.

Aside from that Marty had me for the first couple of hours (except for the aforementioned Nicholson), but then he lost me with the last part. That bloodbath at the end was just so silly and unnecessary, way to ruin a halfway feasible situation.

PS - I'm always amazed when I read viewers' reviews where they complain about violence and foul language, well, you just watched a movie about cops and the mob - what I kind of language did you expect? (I truly believe they do talk like that irl, something to do with having to prove their manhood to their colleagues and whatnot.)
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
movingtarget said:
I thought she was good in Girl Interrupted and a few other movies but she may turn out to be a better director than an actress. Her directing efforts have been pretty good. The Bone Collector of course wasn't in the class of the other two movies. Pretty mediocre, a B movie with an A list cast and budget. Of the three I think Seven was the best and possibly David Fincher's best movie as well. I thought Fincher's, Fight Club was overrated but it was good in parts.
Funny you should mention Fincher, I thought about watching Zodiac again (which I thought was okay enough), but seeing as I had already seen in it a couple of times I passed on it. And I did see Fight Club a long time ago, but that's about all I remember about that movie. :Neutral:

Having passed on Zodiac I watched The Departed again last night instead (saw it a long time ago)... clearly Scorsese had too much of a budget to play with because he just didn't seem to know when to say when. The rest of the star actors I didn't mind too much, but if he had just passed on Jack Nicholson, I tired of Nicholson a long time ago. His character was just so cartoonish and over-the-top, apparently Nicholson himself had some input about the scenes he was in, and it showed.

Aside from that Marty had me for the first couple of hours (except for the aforementioned Nicholson), but then he lost me with the last part. That bloodbath at the end was just so silly and unnecessary, way to ruin a halfway feasible situation.

PS - I'm always amazed when I read viewers' reviews where they complain about violence and foul language, well, you just watched a movie about cops and the mob - what I kind of language did you expect? (I truly believe they do talk like that irl, something to do with having to prove their manhood to their colleagues and whatnot.)
I watched The Departed again recently and didn't like as much as the first time. Damon's character was just hard to believe. I think Casino was one of his underrated movies even though it was very long and violent obviously being about the Mob. Have to admit that for me Scorsese was at his best from Mean Streets up to Casino. I was never a big Nicholson fan, I thought he ruined the Shining which could have been a classic horror movie if not for Nicholson's cartoonish performance. Great visuals and atmosphere all the same. Full Metal Jacket was another flawed movie which should have been much better, still had some great moments. Stanley Kubrick never cared too much about acting he was all about visuals and technical aspects which is probably why I think 2001 was probably his best movie along with Clockwork Orange.
 
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - I tried, dear god I tried, but I couldn't make it past the first hour. It just seemed like I had seen this kind of plot before (Children of Men, plus some other older sci-fi flicks), and the sluggish pace, plus horribly depressing colors just made me not want to go on.

Still love the original Blade Runner, though, it's possibly one of my very fave sci-fi flicks ever.
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - I tried, dear god I tried, but I couldn't make it past the first hour. It just seemed like I had seen this kind of plot before (Children of Men, plus some other older sci-fi flicks), and the sluggish pace, plus horribly depressing colors just made me not want to go on.

Still love the original Blade Runner, though, it's possibly one of my very fave sci-fi flicks ever.
The original Blade Runner still looks great. I thought the sequel would have looked stunning at the cinema as even on DVD it looked good but it was over long. Villeneuve makes some interesting movies but I would have preferred to see what Ridley Scott did with the sequel. Instead Ridley made a mess of the two Alien prequels which for me were just by the numbers horror/sci fi. They looked great and had one or two good set pieces but overall very disappointing especially after the disappointment of Alien Resurrection. Villeneuve is supposed to be doing a new version of Dune which could be good after the David Lynch oddity from the 80s. A bit of a cult film now but not a great one.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
red_flanders Non-Cycling Discussions 13
Similar threads
Photography thread

ASK THE COMMUNITY