• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
The Dirt

This was a good one for me. I was a teen in the 80s who loved rock so Motley was/is important. I read the book in the early '00 so this interpretation was different than the one I created in my head, but good non the less. :)
Funny, I used to hate the Crue... back in the early 80s when I was barely a teen it was a thing between the New Romantics and the Rockers (I was the former), but now I actually appreciate the Crue. Their music wasn't really all that bad after all.

Would like to see that The Dirt doc, but am not prepared to pay Netflix for it unless they give me some kind of a free dealy. (Cause no matter how old-ish I get I'm still frugal. :))

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
The Dirt

This was a good one for me. I was a teen in the 80s who loved rock so Motley was/is important. I read the book in the early '00 so this interpretation was different than the one I created in my head, but good non the less. :)
Funny, I used to hate the Crue... back in the early 80s when I was barely a teen it was a thing between the New Romantics and the Rockers (I was the former), but now I actually appreciate the Crue. Their music wasn't really all that bad after all.

Would like to see that The Dirt doc, but am not prepared to pay Netflix for it unless they give me some kind of a free dealy. (Cause no matter how old-ish I get I'm still frugal. :))

Never really got into them. Preferred Van Halen at least until Roth left the band.

movingtarget said:
Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
The Dirt

Never really got into them. Preferred Van Halen at least until Roth left the band.
Loved 'em both! Liked Sammy too, but I'm with you, I didn't like Van Hagar.

Thought several times already about mentioning one movie, but since I've actually watched it yesterday morning (for who knows what time), and as there's something these days the movie bitterly highlights, here it is... The Tour

I think you won't be sure where did the tears come from.
A hint...

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon I've met a friend from the military service.
He asked me if I'm seeing someone from the army, I answered: "Only you.", he looked at me saying: "Stop showing off!"
It was pretty much like during the days in the army... Shallow minds, tall grass...
I don't know what's the status of such kind of service elsewhere, but in the shade of the Iron curtain it was as in the movie.
Another fine example of mid-European film school.
Forgive me for the effort you'll have to make finding a more watchable copy, but sometimes it's too much of bother finding international edition.

Re:

jmdirt said:
BlacKKKlansman
Not that great IMO and they could have taken 30 minutes out of it (but I feel that way about any movie that gets over 2 hrs! :))

Ken Russell the English director, once said that the ideal length for a movie was 90 minutes. Most of the time I think he was right. 2.5 to 3.0 hour action, sci/fi, and Marvel movies just don't work most of the time because the story is not interesting enough to hold your attention. The best horror movies are the shorter ones.

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
BlacKKKlansman
Not that great IMO and they could have taken 30 minutes out of it (but I feel that way about any movie that gets over 2 hrs! :))

Ken Russell the English director, once said that the ideal length for a movie was 90 minutes. Most of the time I think he was right. 2.5 to 3.0 hour action, sci/fi, and Marvel movies just don't work most of the time because the story is not interesting enough to hold your attention. The best horror movies are the shorter ones.
Good enough movie. Hits the target certainly and I haven't regretted watching it. And there's always the book for those more interested in the events. Thanks for the tip.

Regarding the length... I guess the school classes don't last 45 minutes by chance. Often put together in pairs before a longer pause. Football/soccer match is another example.

Attention!

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
BlacKKKlansman

Movies like The Godfather or Once upon a time in America wouldn't work so well with only 90 minutes. You need to see almost every scene in order to understand the whole film. For horror and action films I agree, 90 minutes can be enough.

Laplaz said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
BlacKKKlansman

Movies like The Godfather or Once upon a time in America wouldn't work so well with only 90 minutes. You need to see almost every scene in order to understand the whole film. For horror and action films I agree, 90 minutes can be enough.

Yes movies like the Godfather need the length for that epic quality but not many movies are as good as The Godfather or it's sequel. Some of the Scorsese movies are the same. Some of the arthouse movies also need to be longer to reach the effect they are trying to achieve.

View: https://youtu.be/uAjmCG30JRs

Subs

TV series:
1, 2, 3
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

View: https://youtu.be/nZRfOkLUEAE

Subs

Last edited:
I'd actually really like to watch this, but am having trouble navigating the subtitles. How do you do it?

On my end I watched a couple of thrillers yesterday, first one was All-American Murder (1991) with Christopher Walken - I guess he needed the paycheck.

The movie was direct to DVD, it was laughably stupid. But if you want to see some frat and sorority people get killed (which I'm always a fan of), and want to see bad 90s hair and fashion, this is the flick for you.

The other one was Insomnia (2002) with Al Pacino and Robin Williams, it was okay. Al wasn't being his usual bombastic self, and it was weird seeing Robin Williams play the bad guy.

The scenery was nice, though, the story was supposed to be taking place in Alaska. But it was actually filmed in lovely British Columbia, have always loved B.C.

I'd actually really like to watch this, but am having trouble navigating the subtitles. How do you do it?

On my end I watched a couple of thrillers yesterday, first one was All-American Murder (1991) with Christopher Walken - I guess he needed the paycheck.

The movie was direct to DVD, it was laughably stupid. But if you want to see some frat and sorority people get killed (which I'm always a fan of), and want to see bad 90s hair and fashion, this is the flick for you.

The other one was Insomnia (2002) with Al Pacino and Robin Williams, it was okay. Al wasn't being his usual bombastic self, and it was weird seeing Robin Williams play the bad guy.

The scenery was nice, though, the story was supposed to be taking place in Alaska. But it was actually filmed in lovely British Columbia, have always loved B.C.

Agree that Insomnia was okay at best.

Walken became a bit typecast unfortunately but some of his performances were seriously loopy. I thought he was great in The Dead Zone, The King of New York, True Romance,Communion, the Deer Hunter and Blast From The Past.

The X Files series was mostly filmed in Canada from what I remember.

Agree that Insomnia was okay at best.

Walken became a bit typecast unfortunately but some of his performances were seriously loopy. I thought he was great in The Dead Zone, The King of New York, True Romance,Communion, the Deer Hunter and Blast From The Past.

The X Files series was mostly filmed in Canada from what I remember.
Yes indeed, a lot of the original series was filmed in British Columbia. Don't know if it's still true today, but back then it was cheaper to film in Canada, so that's why they did it. (I'm glad they did, like I mentioned upthread B.C. is beautiful from what I have seen with my own two eyes.)

Posting the subtitles link is just me trying to be helpful.
To apply the subtitles you need to rip the movie first, and then, if there's disharmony between the picture and text, use some synchronizing software.
I'm glad you did post the subtitles link, I ended up downloading the srt. file and converting it into a text file. And then, because that is where my computer skills end, I just read the text file like a movie script before I played the video. Some of the English translations were funny because they were so off, but I generally got the gist of the film once actually watching it.

So yeah, thanks for the link, it's a very interesting film based on true events that I had never heard of before.

For those interested here's wiki link to an article about the smallpox outbreak in the former Yugoslavia back in 1972.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Yugoslav_smallpox_outbreak

Last edited:
Reactions: sir fly
Brittany Runs a Marathon (2019) - Wanted to see this because, having started running again recently (weather is too crap for riding), I was looking for some inspiration.

Like with many comedies the funniest parts are in the previews, otherwise the movie just drags on. But, I am feeling a bit inspired, so, mission accomplished.

Watched the Irishman yesterday. Very very good, the acting was outstanding, inespecially Pesci. Him and Pacino should both be nominated for best actor in a supporting role at the Oscars, while De Niro would deserve a nomination for leading actor.

TRENDING THREADS