• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes the Rathbone versions were good probably the best. I did like the Peter Cushing Hound of The Baskerviles with Christopher Lee playing Lord Baskerville from about 1959 I think. Flatliners was so bad that I didn't bother with the recent remake !

Watched an odd Euro movie from 1999 called Humanite directed by Bruno Dumont, arthouse stuff, very long but watchable about a provincial policeman trying to solve a crime, lots of staring into space and long pauses etc..........had to hit the fast forward a few times but it was interesting enough to encourage me to check out some of his other movies in the future but definitely not one for mainstream tastes.
Okay, so I had just finished watching Humanité, unfortunately the only free stream I could find online was one that didn't come with English subtitles. So I had to download them separately and read them as the movie was rolling on my screen, thank goodness for at least that. If I hadn't found the subtitles this film would have been even more art housey than it already was, I would have had to use my imagination as to the dialogue because I don't speak a lick of French. :tearsofjoy:

You were right, there was a lot of staring into space going on (at one point there were 5 minutes straight of no talking at all - mon Dieu!), but this allowed me to keep up with reading.

I liked that there was no background music and the scenery was lovely, it looked like a nice place to ride a bike. The ending was a bit of a twist, all throughout the film the killer was merely being an immature, obnoxious brat, it's not clear to me why he would have killed the little girl. But, all in all I thought it was good, but definitely not for people who aren't fans of art house.

Reactions: movingtarget
Okay, so I had just finished watching Humanité, unfortunately the only free stream I could find online was one that didn't come with English subtitles. So I had to download them separately and read them as the movie was rolling on my screen, thank goodness for at least that. If I hadn't found the subtitles this film would have been even more art housey than it already was, I would have had to use my imagination as to the dialogue because I don't speak a lick of French. :tearsofjoy:

You were right, there was a lot of staring into space going on (at one point there were 5 minutes straight of no talking at all - mon Dieu!), but this allowed me to keep up with reading.

I liked that there was no background music and the scenery was lovely, it looked like a nice place to ride a bike. The ending was a bit of a twist, all throughout the film the killer was merely being an immature, obnoxious brat, it's not clear to me why he would have killed the little girl. But, all in all I thought it was good, but definitely not for people who aren't fans of art house.
Sorry forgot to mention the subtitles. Yes great place for bike riding or it was in 1999 ! Agree about the lack of music, very naturalistic movie with the background sounds, the scene with the pigs, the sex scenes, even on his bike ride all you could hear was the birds, the gears clicking and his breathing. Liked the way he let the visuals tell the story, not much dialogue at all. The kiss on the mouth of the murderer was a bit weird, not sure what that was about unless he did it to stop him crying then he pushed him into his seat as if to say, I don't know you anymore. One of those movies that let's you interpret it, or at least parts of it. Had a documentary type feel to it with the village, and the incidental characters walking past his flat all the time.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
So, being many/most of our social activities have come to a screeching halt (and there are few sporting events on TV to view or to attend) due to the coronavirus it's an excellent time to stay in and watch some movies! I'm certainly doing my part in that regard, last night I watched three Rathbone Sherlock Holmes mysteries. They can be found on youtube for free.

Voice of Terror (1942), The Scarlet Claw (1944), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939) - Most of these are kind of fun because they are peppered with subtle humor, but I am detecting (ha! see what I did there?) a rather disturbing trend.

Despite the fact that Holmes is called in to solve a crime (and usually to prevent a murder) people keep dropping dead around him anyway. The Scarlet Claw especially has an unfortunate body count - great Scott! It's almost like watching Midsomer Murders!

Anyhoo, I would recommend this series if you have nothing better to do and need some light entertainment, otherwise, post about some other movies you may have watched recently. I'm sure I can speak for movingtarget when I say we both would love to hear about them.

So, being many/most of our social activities have come to a screeching halt (and there are few sporting events on TV to view or to attend) due to the coronavirus it's an excellent time to stay in and watch some movies! I'm certainly doing my part in that regard, last night I watched three Rathbone Sherlock Holmes mysteries. They can be found on youtube for free.

Voice of Terror (1942), The Scarlet Claw (1944), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939) - Most of these are kind of fun because they are peppered with subtle humor, but I am detecting (ha! see what I did there?) a rather disturbing trend.

Despite the fact that Holmes is called in to solve a crime (and usually to prevent a murder) people keep dropping dead around him anyway. The Scarlet Claw especially has an unfortunate body count - great Scott! It's almost like watching Midsomer Murders!

Anyhoo, I would recommend this series if you have nothing better to do and need some light entertainment, otherwise, post about some other movies you may have watched recently. I'm sure I can speak for movingtarget when I say we both would love to hear about them.
Watched all of that series when it was screened free to air many years ago in the good old days ! Very enjoyable. The bits I have seen of the modern versions didn't encourage me too much. Something about the old movies when you had a real rapport between the leading actors and they were obviously enjoying themselves as well as the dialogue. I watched Murder By Decree last year with James Mason and Christopher Plummer as Holmes. Not too bad at all. Made in the seventies.

Basil Rathbone was a good villain in some of his old movies like Robin Hood which had what is supposed to be the best sword fight sequence ever filmed ! I think he and Errol Flynn did it themselves, no stunt men ! I was thinking of starting to go to the cinema again after getting out of the habit but with the virus problems I am staying clear even though they are probably empty anyway at the moment. With the cycling season pretty much over and most other sports it looks like a good time to attack the DVD collection or movie channels. Some gems can still be found in YouTube as well.

88 Minutes (2007)- This thriller was so breathtakingly awful and cliché, about the most original thing about it was the method of torture/murder. What were Pacino and the rest of the rather decent cast thinking? (Paycheck) It's like they knew they were wasting everybody's time, including their own.

I thought I'd get through it just because it was supposedly taking place in Seattle and on the UW campus (my old stomping ground), but even that didn't come to be, the movie was filmed in Vancouver, BC. (A beautiful city otherwise.)

If you want to completely waste your time without regretting it this is the flick for you, otherwise the most enjoyable thing about it is reading the scathing reviews at IMDb.

88 Minutes (2007)- This thriller was so breathtakingly awful and cliché, about the most original thing about it was the method of torture/murder. What were Pacino and the rest of the rather decent cast thinking? (Paycheck) It's like they knew they were wasting everybody's time, including their own.

I thought I'd get through it just because it was supposedly taking place in Seattle and on the UW campus (my old stomping ground), but even that didn't come to be, the movie was filmed in Vancouver, BC. (A beautiful city otherwise.)

If you want to completely waste your time without regretting it this is the flick for you, otherwise the most enjoyable thing about it is reading the scathing reviews at IMDb.
You are right about Paycheck !

Watched Boyhood the Richard Linklater movie. Very long and covered a young boy's growth to manhood. Well acted but not terribly interesting which I have also found with some of his other movies as well.

I had never watched the John Wick movies so I watched all three within 10 days. The first one was actually OK for that genre. The second was less OK, and the third was just about body count. So I followed those up with Anna (the chick version of JW). I liked it better than all of the JW, but didn't care for the jumping around in time so much.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood . It was funky, but good, a nice twist on the real story at the end. As I've shared before, movies shouldn't go past two hours and this one did (230ish). They definitely could have told the story, maybe even better, in two hours.

The latest Rambo isn't worth watching, nor is Braven IMO.

I had never watched the John Wick movies so I watched all three within 10 days. The first one was actually OK for that genre. The second was less OK, and the third was just about body count. So I followed those up with Anna (the chick version of JW). I liked it better than all of the JW, but didn't care for the jumping around in time so much.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood . It was funky, but good, a nice twist on the real story at the end. As I've shared before, movies shouldn't go past two hours and this one did (230ish). They definitely could have told the story, maybe even better, in two hours.

The latest Rambo isn't worth watching, nor is Braven IMO.
Read some putrid reviews of the Rambo movie and haven't seen the Tarantino movie yet.

As you said the first John Wick was okay and the second less so..........I didn't bother with the third one. Reminds me of the Taken movies with Liam Neeson in that the first one was watchable but downhill from there. Pretty odd with Liam Neeson becoming an action star in his fifties ! Oh well there is money to be made !

Reactions: jmdirt
Read some putrid reviews of the Rambo movie and haven't seen the Tarantino movie yet.

As you said the first John Wick was okay and the second less so..........I didn't bother with the third one. Reminds me of the Taken movies with Liam Neeson in that the first one was watchable but downhill from there. Pretty odd with Liam Neeson becoming an action star in his fifties ! Oh well there is money to be made !
If you can find Rambo for free its worth watching the last part.

SPOILER ALERT: in the last part he lures the murderous Mexican drug lord pimps into his tunnels for a 'war'. Its actually a pretty cool ending to a pretty poor movie.

Thought I'd revisit a couple of movies of a better reputation than I usually watch for a change...

The Social Network (2010) - Flashy, fast-paced, snappy dialogue, but crikes, I just didn't like any of these characters and didn't care for the movie as a whole. If these people had any kind of problems besides how to become even richer and more privileged I didn't see them, I found them all despicable and unrelatable. I know this movie got a lot of praise, but for me it's just meh. (I did at least chuckle each time the Winklevoss twins were either on screen or were mentioned though, it's like here comes Harvard's dynamic duo of moronic beefcakes.)

Dead Ringers (1988) - Perhaps women experience this movie on a different perturbing level because all of us ladies have been in those stirrups at one point or on the regular, but I didn't find this movie too horrifying. Rather, I thought it was just a sad story about some sad characters. Both Jeremy Irons and Geneviève Bujold did a brilliant job, though the Iatter I thought was a tad better in the crying scenes. It's probably always a challenge for actors to pull off some convincing crying without it looking like they had to use an onion...

The film crew must have had a blast trashing up the brothers' clinic in the last scenes - was Cronenberg thinking the place needed just a little more leftover food and trash? I had never seen such a mess even after the most rambunctious of college parties!

Anyhoo, unlike The Social Network I think Dead Ringers does deserve the high praise it gets, while the characters were all flawed they did at least appear to be human.

Some movies I have rewatched recently:

Room (2015) - Rating 9/10
Magnolia - 8/10
Schindler's List - 9/10
Dances with Wolves - 8/10
Saving Private Ryan - 6/10
American Beauty - 9/10
Boyhood - 9/10
12 Monkeys - 7/10
Children of men - 8/10
Requiem for a dream - 8/10

Unfortunately I couldn't find any of the Rambo movies to watch for free, but here's a top 10 compilation of the supposedly best scenes from the initial Rambo trilogy. (I wouldn't know one way or another being I don't recall having seen any of the Rambo flicks in the past.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPYoMJcSvs
The first two were probably better in my mind at the time because I was a teen boy. :)

Magnolia - 8/10
Schindler's List - 9/10
American Beauty - 9/10
Boyhood - 9/10
12 Monkeys - 7/10
Children of men - 8/10
Probably agree with you on all of those except for Boyhood and Children of Men which I didn't care for much. Haven't seen Room.

Thought I'd revisit a couple of movies of a better reputation than I usually watch for a change...

The Social Network (2010) - Flashy, fast-paced, snappy dialogue, but crikes, I just didn't like any of these characters and didn't care for the movie as a whole. If these people had any kind of problems besides how to become even richer and more privileged I didn't see them, I found them all despicable and unrelatable. I know this movie got a lot of praise, but for me it's just meh. (I did at least chuckle each time the Winklevoss twins were either on screen or were mentioned though, it's like here comes Harvard's dynamic duo of moronic beefcakes.)

Dead Ringers (1988) - Perhaps women experience this movie on a different perturbing level because all of us ladies have been in those stirrups at one point or on the regular, but I didn't find this movie too horrifying. Rather, I thought it was just a sad story about some sad characters. Both Jeremy Irons and Geneviève Bujold did a brilliant job, though the Iatter I thought was a tad better in the crying scenes. It's probably always a challenge for actors to pull off some convincing crying without it looking like they had to use an onion...

The film crew must have had a blast trashing up the brothers' clinic in the last scenes - was Cronenberg thinking the place needed just a little more leftover food and trash? I had never seen such a mess even after the most rambunctious of college parties!

Anyhoo, unlike The Social Network I think Dead Ringers does deserve the high praise it gets, while the characters were all flawed they did at least appear to be human.
I liked Dead Ringers. Cronenberg rarely makes a bad movie but I still don't think it's one of his best. As you say it was well acted. Never saw The Social Network, the subject never interested me and I never signed on to Facebook. My loss..........maybe !

The first two were probably better in my mind at the time because I was a teen boy. :)
No worries, while I may never have watched the Rambo movies when they first came out I did watch a bunch of Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude van Damme flicks way back when. Think I may have seen some Chuck Norris ones as well, I just can't remember. But I'm sure I would be sorely disappointed if I re-watched them all now.

And on that note - what am I in the mood for tonight? There's drama, crime thrillers, sci/fi, comedy, martial arts, indie, foreign, sports movies...

I'll take recommendations if anyone has any suggestions, I'll watch just about anything as long as it's free. :)

Reactions: jmdirt

Magnolia - 8/10
Schindler's List - 9/10
American Beauty - 9/10
Boyhood - 9/10
12 Monkeys - 7/10
Children of men - 8/10
I've seen most of those and the two that stand out the most for me are Schindler's List and Requiem for a Dream.

I agree with you on Saving Private Ryan, it was just kinda average except for the first 20-minute battle scene. That was definitely memorable, the rest was just okay.

No worries, while I may never have watched the Rambo movies when they first came out I did watch a bunch of Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude van Damme flicks way back when. Think I may have seen some Chuck Norris ones as well, I just can't remember. But I'm sure I would be sorely disappointed if I re-watched them all now.

And on that note - what am I in the mood for tonight? There's drama, crime thrillers, sci/fi, comedy, martial arts, indie, foreign, sports movies...

I'll take recommendations if anyone has any suggestions, I'll watch just about anything as long as it's free. :)
All of that stuff was good '80s kick in the throat stuff!

• Haha
I liked Dead Ringers. Cronenberg rarely makes a bad movie but I still don't think it's one of his best. As you say it was well acted. Never saw The Social Network, the subject never interested me and I never signed on to Facebook. My loss..........maybe !
Unless you really care about what the rage is all about I don't think you're missing out on anything, I was never the Facebook type either.

Think the kids have moved on to Instagram and TikTok anyway, whatever those latest platforms may be all about.

I had a My Space account in the late '90s because a fiend had a brain tumor and that was how his wife kept all of us posted. Once he was well, I didn't have any use for it. When FB came along it just seemed like MS x10 so I wasn't interested. My wife keeps in touch with friends and family in other parts of the country via FB, but doesn't use it as a daily social parade. I think that TR is correct, the cool kids have moved on to other platforms.

I had a My Space account in the late '90s because a fiend had a brain tumor and that was how his wife kept all of us posted. Once he was well, I didn't have any use for it. When FB came along it just seemed like MS x10 so I wasn't interested. My wife keeps in touch with friends and family in other parts of the country via FB, but doesn't use it as a daily social parade. I think that TR is correct, the cool kids have moved on to other platforms.
Myspace is still operating but I don't think many use it.

Last edited:
Back in the day I used to like to watch some of those movies. The Van Damme movies were good for a laugh but couldn't compete with the Bruce Lee ones. I heard that the Sonny Chiba movies were good but the one I tried to watch was pretty bad. The Street Fighter is supposed to be his best from what I have heard.
This sounds like a cry for help if I ever heard one - unfortunately all we have right now is some Bruce Lee movies!

Am watching Fist of Unicorn (1972) right now. Will let you know how it goes.

Btw., bad dubbing is included.

TRENDING THREADS