• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There was nothing romantic about Psycho, Frenzy, Rope and Shadow of A Doubt. The 39 Steps was probably my favourite early Hitchcock movie, no romance but some witty dialogue. Hitchcock's ice cold blond period came much later !
Thanks for the tips, I do want to watch some more Hitchcock. He really did have a way with cinematography and dialogue. And I like his cameos, it's always fun to try to spot him in his movies.

Reactions: movingtarget
Pulse (2006) a remake of a Japanese movie. Started out okay and had some interesting ideas but turned out to be just another teen B grade hooror. The Japanese original version was supposed to be much better........who would have thought ? Pretty dire. The critics buried it as they should have. Demons don't like red masking tape. Yes you are reading that correctly !

After many years I rewatched 12 Angry Men (1957) yesterday, looks like the jury had a bit of a Clark Griswold moment in that they didn't know the fan would start working once they flipped the light switch. (No wonder they were all so cranky in the sweltering heat.) Surely the bailiff could have told them because, wouldn't it make sense the jury be in tiptop mental shape while deliberating, especially during a murder trial?

This movie tackles a whole variety of issues, not least of all bullying. I think kids call just about anything bullying these days, but if they want to see the real deal they need to watch that arsehole juror no. 3 (played by Lee J. Cobb) in action. That character was truly despicable.

Anyhoo, thankfully juries are more diverse and mixed nowadays, but there is still a lot to be learned from 12 Angry Men. I've sat on a jury only once (it wasn't a murder trial), who knows, maybe your number will come up one of these days.

After many years I rewatched 12 Angry Men (1957) yesterday, looks like the jury had a bit of a Clark Griswold moment in that they didn't know the fan would start working once they flipped the light switch. (No wonder they were all so cranky in the sweltering heat.) Surely the bailiff could have told them because, wouldn't it make sense the jury be in tiptop mental shape while deliberating, especially during a murder trial?

This movie tackles a whole variety of issues, not least of all bullying. I think kids call just about anything bullying these days, but if they want to see the real deal they need to watch that arsehole juror no. 3 (played by Lee J. Cobb) in action. That character was truly despicable.

Anyhoo, thankfully juries are more diverse and mixed nowadays, but there is still a lot to be learned from 12 Angry Men. I've sat on a jury only once (it wasn't a murder trial), who knows, maybe your number will come up one of these days.
i am on a jury list at the moment for 12 months. Never been called up before. My dad was called in twice but wasn't selected in the final 12.

Lee J Cobb was a very good actor often playing angry characters. In The Exorcist he played a gentle detective.......yes they do exist, and his performance was very good. I liked 12 Angry Men, most of the cast was very good including Henry Fonda.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
i am on a jury list at the moment for 12 months. Never been called up before. My dad was called in twice but wasn't selected in the final 12.

Lee J Cobb was a very good actor often playing angry characters. In The Exorcist he played a gentle detective.......yes they do exist, and his performance was very good. I liked 12 Angry Men, most of the cast was very good including Henry Fonda.
You're on a 'potential juror' list for a whole 12 months? Good golly Miss Molly, we'll know where you are if you suddenly go missing for a while, it means you're probably sitting as a juror on some lengthy murder trial! :tearsofjoy:

Yes, all of the actors were good, I especially liked the elderly juror played by Joseph Sweeney. Some of the more arseholish juror characters didn't even want to listen to him, but he did have some words of wisdom to share given a voice.

Last edited:
Valley of the Dolls (1967) - The novel was apparently very successful, but the movie was a little rough. Patty Duke especially was annoyingly over the top, but I did like her scene with Susan Hayward where she threw Susan's wig into the toilet.

The plot is a tad tawdry and depressing, but if better executed this may not have been such an awful movie. Evidently the story of Neely O'Hara is loosely based on Judy Garland, Garland was even supposed to be playing that role. But due to her real life struggles with alcohol and pills she had been fired. And a whole bunch of other famous actresses had been approached to star in this movie, perhaps wisely they had declined.

It's considered a cult classic nowadays (kinda like Mommie Dearest), and for that reason it should probably be watched once. But I don't think it has much rewatch value.

Valley of the Dolls (1967) - The novel was apparently very successful, but the movie was a little rough. Patty Duke especially was annoyingly over the top, but I did like her scene with Susan Hayward where she threw Susan's wig into the toilet.

The plot is a tad tawdry and depressing, but if better executed this may not have been such an awful movie. Evidently the story of Neely O'Hara is loosely based on Judy Garland, Garland was even supposed to be playing that role. But due to her real life struggles with alcohol and pills she had been fired. And a whole bunch of other famous actresses had been approached to star in this movie, perhaps wisely they had declined.

It's considered a cult classic nowadays (kinda like Mommie Dearest), and for that reason it should probably be watched once. But I don't think it has much rewatch value.
Don't remember seeing it but as you say the book was huge as was Peyton Place and from what I remember that also resulted in a mediocre movie. Patty Duke may have been bad in that but she was good in a few other things. Poor Judy Garland was chewed up by the Hollywood machine like many other former child stars but at least she had a career as an adult, many of the other child stars didn't. Shirley Temple wisely got out of the movies and had a successful political career.

Being I love lighthouses and the spooky stories behind them I watched a couple of lighthouse movies recently, one was better than the other.

The Lighthouse (2019) - Well the first part was interesting, it was more of an exposition of the workings of a lighthouse and its keepers. The black and white cinematography was lovely, though I was glad the screen lightened eventually after a few minutes because the initial shots were just too dark. And then things turned south.

Willem Defoe turned his soliloquies and shouting to eleven, it rivaled Patty Duke's performance in Valley of the Dolls. The story turned absurd and laughable, I don't think I was supposed to be laughing while the lighthouse keepers were descending into madness. Oh well, at least the first hour was good.

The Lighthouse (2016) - The production value in this movie was clearly lower, but at least the plot was comprehensible being the movie is based on the real story of the Smalls Lighthouse incident. The lighthouse keeper also went insane, but in this instance it made sense. For fans of lighthouses I think this is overall the better movie, even though the lighthouse itself isn't as intricate as the one in the 2019 movie. How such a rickety structure was able to withstand the weather and waves for so long is truly a marvel.

My wife has been watching series lately so I've gone along for the ride:
Narcos (season 1)--OK. It would be interesting to know how much is true and how much is embellished for the series.
Umbrella Academy (season 1 & 2)--not bad. Not really my cup-o-tea but compelling enough for me to stick it out for 20 episodes.

Breaker Morant (1980) Australian war drama about the Boer war. Well acted by a mainly Australian cast of well known actors. Based on a true story about a court marshall that was politically motivated. From a fertile period of Australian film making. Great performances by British actor Edward Woodward plus Bryan Brown and Jack Thompson. Visuals looked great, directed by Bruce Beresford who has made some interesting movies.

Great Expectations (2013) Dickens usually wrote long books so the TV series format usually worked better than the movies for his material. Not a terrible movie just an average one, the acting was a bit hit and miss. Nice visuals but at two hours it didn't do justice to the book. The David Lean black and white version is probably the best movie adaptation with much better performances and script.

Rewatched The Damned United (2009) - Admittedly, besides having attended a Derby County match back when I visited England about ten years ago, I know little about English football and the legend of Brian Clough. But this was still an enjoyable sports drama... I liked the bromance between Martin Sheen and Timothy Spall, and it seems like sports coaches and managers all over the world experience the same type of stress. So that part looked familiar to me.

Anyhoo, for some light entertainment for sports fans I think this movie is worth a looky.

Rewatched The Damned United (2009) - Admittedly, besides having attended a Derby County match back when I visited England about ten years ago, I know little about English football and the legend of Brian Clough. But this was still an enjoyable sports drama... I liked the bromance between Martin Sheen and Timothy Spall, and it seems like sports coaches and managers all over the world experience the same type of stress. So that part looked familiar to me.

Anyhoo, for some light entertainment for sports fans I think this movie is worth a looky.
Michael Sheen ?

Helix (2015) - Apparently only about five other people have seen this Canadian sci-fi movie, I can find very little info on it. What is clear, however, is that the acting is awful, the dialogue just terrible, and the rating is 4.3/10 at IMDb from those five people who have seen it. I still liked it though, despite the low budget and confusing plot the movie never got boring. Left in more competent hands it had a lot of potential.

Helix (2015) - Apparently only about five other people have seen this Canadian sci-fi movie, I can find very little info on it. What is clear, however, is that the acting is awful, the dialogue just terrible, and the rating is 4.3/10 at IMDb from those five people who have seen it. I still liked it though, despite the low budget and confusing plot the movie never got boring. Left in more competent hands it had a lot of potential.
Sounds like perfect Covid time viewing...................I will get to it eventually............

Cube (1997) - Watched some more Canadian sci-fi, this flick was actually pretty good. Well, the acting could have been better, but all in all the concept was original and had kept me in suspense. I'm not sure there was a reason for the sequel or prequel, once you know the basic idea you already know what's going to happen. So I won't bother with them. But the original is worth a looky.

Vivarium (2019) - A truly international effort between Ireland, Denmark, and Belgium, this sci-fi-ish thriller was also okay. It's probably largely allegorical and you can make of it what you want. It's just I don't care for Jesse Eisenberg too much, I think he has zero screen presence. But at least the lovely Imogen Poots saved the day, so this one is still worth a looky.

Hotel Artemis (2018) - Back to the Yankee stuff I liked this dystopian sci-fi flick the most, it had a dark and eerie almost Blade Runner-like feel to it and Jodie Foster showed the young'uns how it's done in terms of acting. It's not on the same level as Blade Runner ( few sci-fi movies are), but I think it's definitely worth a looky.

Cube (1997) - Watched some more Canadian sci-fi, this flick was actually pretty good. Well, the acting could have been better, but all in all the concept was original and had kept me in suspense. I'm not sure there was a reason for the sequel or prequel, once you know the basic idea you already know what's going to happen. So I won't bother with them. But the original is worth a looky.

Vivarium (2019) - A truly international effort between Ireland, Denmark, and Belgium, this sci-fi-ish thriller was also okay. It's probably largely allegorical and you can make of it what you want. It's just I don't care for Jesse Eisenberg too much, I think he has zero screen presence. But at least the lovely Imogen Poots saved the day, so this one is still worth a looky.

Hotel Artemis (2018) - Back to the Yankee stuff I liked this dystopian sci-fi flick the most, it had a dark and eerie almost Blade Runner-like feel to it and Jodie Foster showed the young'uns how it's done in terms of acting. It's not on the same level as Blade Runner ( few sci-fi movies are), but I think it's definitely worth a looky.
I liked Cube. There were two sequels. I saw the first one which was blah.

Elysium (2013) - Big stars, big budget, lots of flash, explosions and the loathed shaky camera, I did not like this movie. The plot was hardly original... despite its bloated 110 million dollar budget it still made a fair profit at the box office, I'm glad I didn't contribute to it when it was showing at the cinemas.

Underwater (2020) - I think sci-fi horror movies taking place in the deep blue sea are just about tapped out, if you've seen The Abyss, Leviathan, or Sphere you've seen Underwater. It's not a bad movie, it's actually pretty well made. But the story is just stale.

Elysium (2013) - Big stars, big budget, lots of flash, explosions and the loathed shaky camera, I did not like this movie. The plot was hardly original... despite its bloated 110 million dollar budget it still made a fair profit at the box office, I'm glad I didn't contribute to it when it was showing at the cinemas.

Underwater (2020) - I think sci-fi horror movies taking place in the deep blue sea are just about tapped out, if you've seen The Abyss, Leviathan, or Sphere you've seen Underwater. It's not a bad movie, it's actually pretty well made. But the story is just stale.
Yes heard that Underwater was ho hum but i might see it anyway. Elysium was mediocre. Bid budget, big name cast, visuals looked good but it didn't grab me. The ending seemed to take forever. Very predictable.

Shadows Of Forgotten Ancestors (1964) The first film by Sergei Paradjanov. Ukrainian folklore and surrealism. Visually outstanding. One for the arthouse fans.
Just finished watching this on youtube, it's the only place I could find this stream and luckily it was free and came with English subtitles. Is that where you had watched it?

The visuals were lovely, being Slav I think the ancestors depicted in this film were probably some very distant cousins of my ancestors. (Mom was born in Ukraine to Czech migrants.)It must have been a simple but hard life full of religious rituals and superstition... I'm glad Ivan was finally put out of his misery by Yura, that loveless marriage was clearly no good.

The film is definitely arthouse and a nice change of pace from all the flashy sci-fi I've been watching lately, so thanks for mentioning it upthread.

Last edited:
Just finished watching this on youtube, it's the only place I could find this stream and luckily it was free and came with English subtitles. Is that where you had watched it?

The visuals were lovely, being Slav I think the ancestors depicted in this film were probably some very distant cousins of my ancestors. (Mom was born in Ukraine to Czech migrants.)It must have been a simple but hard life full of religious rituals and superstition... I'm glad Ivan was finally put out of his misery by Yura, that loveless marriage was clearly no good.

The film is definitely arthouse and a nice change of pace from all the flashy sci-fi I've been watching lately, so thanks for mentioning it upthread.
No I had a copy on disc. I was collecting movies before downloads arrived on the scene. So often I don't need to look for downloads. I collected all four of the Paradjanov movies, haven't watched the rest of them yet. I also subscribe to HBO etc but it's becoming too expensive so that might get canned next year in favor of a cheaper offer elsewhere. The people in the movie were supposed to be Gutsuls from the mountains in western Ukraine but of course the borders in that part of the world have changed so many times who knows what their true origins were ? i like some of the music as well from that part of the world, of course the Slavic culture is an old and rich one especially literature and music. Maybe the film culture is not as interesting as it was before but searches turn up some gems from time to time. Same with literature.

Barbarella (1968) Sci Fi parody and so called camp classic. Mike Myers could have done wonders with this after he remade the 60s spy movies with Austin Powers also maybe Tim Burton. Jane Fonda looks great as expected. The music is mostly awful and it wasn't very funny. Not the sort of thing to watch stoned or drunk. It's mostly silly. Not sure what happened at the end as I will never know !

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS