• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hard to chose just one. If it had to be one then it would probably be Shawshank Redemption.

Other favourites include Raging Bull, Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, GoodFellas, Bullitt, Black Hawk Down, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Great Escape, Bridge On The River Kwai, Mad Max, Kill Bill I and II, The Bourne Trilogy, and Pulp Fiction. Others include Gladiator, Cinderella Man, Memphis Belle, Mr. Brooks, Juno, August Rush, Field of Dreams, Romancing the Stone, Vitus, Wall-E, Happy Feet, and Finding Nemo. Sports movies like The Natural, Hoop Dreams and Touching the Void. Docos such as March of the Penguins, Winged Migration, Microcosmos, Man on Wire, and of course This is Spinal Tap. And finally comedies: The Castle, Death at a Funeral, Monty Python's Holy Grail, Billy Elliot, The Full Monty, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Little Miss Sunshine, Fargo, and Happy Gilmore.

As you can tell, I like watching movies!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll second the Shawshank redemtion. I tend to watch Action movies. I like a lot of the movies suggested but the Shawshank Redemtion is in my eyes the one that just had the perfect recipe.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Hard to chose just one. If it had to be one then it would probably be Shawshank Redemption.

Other favourites include Raging Bull, Godfather, Reservoir Dogs, GoodFellas, Bullitt, Black Hawk Down, Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Great Escape, Bridge On The River Kwai, Mad Max, Kill Bill I and II, The Bourne Trilogy, and Pulp Fiction. Others include Gladiator, Cinderella Man, Memphis Belle, Mr. Brooks, Juno, August Rush, Field of Dreams, Romancing the Stone, Vitus, Wall-E, Happy Feet, and Finding Nemo. Sports movies like The Natural, Hoop Dreams and Touching the Void. Docos such as March of the Penguins, Winged Migration, Microcosmos, Man on Wire, and of course This is Spinal Tap. And finally comedies: The Castle, Death at a Funeral, Monty Python's Holy Grail, Billy Elliot, The Full Monty, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Little Miss Sunshine, Fargo, and Happy Gilmore.

As you can tell, I like watching movies!

+1 (for each movie :D)

I would add the Alien(s) movies, Bladerunner, Spy Game, All the Presidents Men, The Sting, O'Brother Where Art Thou, Platoon, Wall Street, Fight Club and probably a few more that I am forgetting......

Reactions: kiransaini88
A

Anonymous

One :eek: thats tough...

but a handful..

Star Wars - remember seeing it for the first time at the cinema when i was 7 years old and was just blown away, the films i saw either side where the jungle book, and grease, so you can imagine what a shock star wars was. we had never seen anything like it.. almost the perfect film.

Casablanca - was staying with family in wales the day ingrid bergman died and they showed it on tv that afternoon, saw it for the first time then and it stayed with me. genius.

Remember the Titans - not denzel washingtons best film (that is still hurricane), but such a great story, and just how films should be made, beginning, middle and end.. perfect

Life of Brian - the funniest thing ive ever seen. and probably the closest thing to the truth as far as the "real" story of jesus goes. genius from start to finish.

and of course, Apocolypse now.. changed my musical taste for the better, first time i ever heard the doors..

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
To rate a great film it has to be one that you can revist and still enjoy it ...

For me its :-

- The usual suspects (Great twists and turns)
- The Breakfast Club (Funny, Sad ... the lot)
- Coupe de Ville (great story with lots of metaphores)
- Gone in sixty seconds (the remake - great music, cars and oh - Angelina):cool:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
+1 (for each movie :D)

I would add the Alien(s) movies, Bladerunner, Spy Game, All the Presidents Men, The Sting, O'Brother Where Art Thou, Platoon, Wall Street, Fight Club and probably a few more that I am forgetting......

Good selections. I know I am missing more as well. I do like some of Alfred Hitchcock's movies such as To Catch A Thief (Grace Kelly ... mmm), North By Northwest, and Rear Window.

On the other hand, my wife and I watched Funny Games a couple of nights ago. Naomi Watts is gorgeous, but the movie was a shocker. It was one of those horror movies where we were both so frustrated at the victims' ineptitude that we were shouting at the TV. At least it had a good ending.

TRENDING THREADS