• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movistar Tactics

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Didnt watch today, but heard they pulled sky to the AC attacks? seriously? Are these guys morons or what? Or they dont have any intention of winning the TdF?!?!

Re: Re:

Melo said:
BigMac said:
Sky looked worse today. I think it's possible to isolate Froome and attack him. Not sure Movistar is into it with their defensive riding but if for one they aspire winning they should attack with Quintana and VV from far out. Others maybe be interested in helping.

I don't know what was that train in Pra Loup today, though.

All the peloton can attack Froome, it doesn't matter, he responds to every attack with ease, he's like a cyborg who is programmed to do certain things.

He's not impossible to beat. He can't respond to everyone. Or maybe he can, at first, but he has to fade.

BigMac said:
Melo said:
BigMac said:
Sky looked worse today. I think it's possible to isolate Froome and attack him. Not sure Movistar is into it with their defensive riding but if for one they aspire winning they should attack with Quintana and VV from far out. Others maybe be interested in helping.

All the peloton can attack Froome, it doesn't matter, he responds to every attack with ease, he's like a cyborg who is programmed to do certain things.

He's not impossible to beat. He can't respond to everyone. Or maybe he can, at first, but he has to fade.

Doesn't have to. His domestiques respond and then he just follows Nibali, Quintana and Valverde

damian13ster said:
BigMac said:
Melo said:
BigMac said:

Doesn't have to. His domestiques respond and then he just follows Nibali, Quintana and Valverde

Hence try to isolate him from his doms early in the race. It has been done before, only that situation wasn't exploited well. Have to try, really. Otherwise how will they know it's impossible. Tomorrow's profile is perfect.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ray j willings said:
What tactics. Just not strong enough to implement any sort of tactics that would work

This. Other than flooring it when TJ dropped off (I'm not criticizing that, this is the TDF).

Unsure what Quintana is waiting for. He seems to be riding for a podium spot and not the win.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Consolidated 2nd and 3rd, great result. Quintana just needs to go on and win Alpe d'huez now. The best reasonably achievable result against a superior rider in Chris Froome.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Bunch of cowards.

Pretty much this.

This isn't the first time Movistar has been only concerned with getting the podium either.

I'm starting to wonder if Quintana would be better off on another team.

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Consolidated 2nd and 3rd, great result. Quintana just needs to go on and win Alpe d'huez now. The best reasonably achievable result against a superior rider in Chris Froome.

I don't think he could even win D Huez, the way Froome has reeled him back in, time and time again. Froome certainly would have that penultimate stage in mind if Ventoux in 2013 was anything to go by we are in for a treat.

Try as they might Movistar look devoid of any fresh ideas on how to counter Sky and Froome. Isolating him doesn't seem to be earning them any results. They are riding for 2nd and 3rd.

I still think going all-in on the first alpine stage had more risk than reward. So many of the climbs today were more like false flats. I think Friday is the logical day to make a long range attack. Movistar dug themselves a hole on the echelon stage and it has put them on the back foot ever since.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I still think going all-in on the first alpine stage had more risk than reward. So many of the climbs today were more like false flats. I think Friday is the logical day to make a long range attack. Movistar dug themselves a hole on the echelon stage and it has put them on the back foot ever since.

It's not even that, piti could have just went with Contador and even sit on his wheel although i think he should have ride with contador since it's good for him too

If he didn't go with him, then let froome use his team cause froome will never ever let Contador go. No way that will happen, instead they close it for froome.

Most *** *** i've seen in a while.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Spot on. A lot of Contador fans seem keen to bash their tatics, but Contador is a rival as much as Froome is. Movistar have tried to attack Froome on the last three mountain stages, but Froome has been too strong and has never looked in any trouble.

Going on an extremely optimistic long range attack, which is highly likely to end in failure just isn't a sensible tactic, however, much fans may wish for it to happen. Nor is it sensible to let the main threat to your GC position get up the road with team-mates in support - especially when it is a rider of the quality of Contador.

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site

DFA123 said:
SeriousSam said:

Spot on. A lot of Contador fans seem keen to bash their tatics, but Contador is a rival as much as Froome is. Movistar have tried to attack Froome on the last three mountain stages, but Froome has been too strong and has never looked in any trouble.

Going on an extremely optimistic long range attack, which is highly likely to end in failure just isn't a sensible tactic, however, much fans may wish for it to happen. Nor is it sensible to let the main threat to your GC position get up the road with team-mates in support - especially when it is a rider of the quality of Contador.

Then why not join him instead of chasing him down and doing Sky's job for them?

hulkhogansknees said:
DFA123 said:
SeriousSam said:

Then why not join him instead of chasing him down and doing Sky's job for them?

Because it was an attack that Contador had planned, with team mates up the road. Why should Movistar ride to Contador's plans, which have obviously been drawn up to give Contador the best chance of gaining time? Perhaps their riders didn't want to go on such a long break, or thought it was futile and would have left them vulnerable to a counter attack in the race.

I think it's important not to conflate exciting racing (i.e. what we want to see as fans), with what are actually the most effective tactics for the riders.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I thought by now everybody agreed that Froome is untouchable and working on securing the 2 podium spots is the logical thing to do for them.

Tactics are simple. Wait for others to fail and take advantage. Nibali, Thomas, Contador, TJVG all failed at some point or the other. They are simply wait for Froome to break. If he doesn't 2nd and 3rd are good enough. I seriously doubt that taking Froome head on is in their tactics cause that way they can loose it all.

TRENDING THREADS