• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

^^^MTB Tires for muddy/clay conditions?^^^

Best (or at least a good one??) 26-inch MTB tires for use in clay-like, sticky mud (covered in leaves)? Thanks.

(Riding on multi-use trails in Western Pennsylvania, USA, that unfortunately see not-insignificant equestrian traffic...)

joe_papp said:
Best (or at least a good one??) 26-inch MTB tires for use in clay-like, sticky mud (covered in leaves)? Thanks.

(Riding on multi-use trails in Western Pennsylvania, USA, that unfortunately see not-insignificant equestrian traffic...)

when I was doing xc enduros, I used GEAX Barro Mountains, which I think are now updated as Barro Marathons. For muddier conditions look at the Gato and/or the Barro Mud. Main difference is the tread spacing for shedding the mud.
http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=2&prod=6

Some of the guys I did this with rated their Hutchinsons, but I can't remember which ones. I do remember one of the guys actually cutting off every second knob to create a really good mud version of what he was using...

Archibald said:
when I was doing xc enduros, I used GEAX Barro Mountains, which I think are now updated as Barro Marathons. For muddier conditions look at the Gato and/or the Barro Mud. Main difference is the tread spacing for shedding the mud.
http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=2&prod=6

Some of the guys I did this with rated their Hutchinsons, but I can't remember which ones. I do remember one of the guys actually cutting off every second knob to create a really good mud version of what he was using...

Thanks, Archibald. I replaced the CrossMarks with a set of Continental Mountain Kings. They weren't the ultra-light set that I wanted but were all that the local shop, Big Bang Bicycles (which is an amazing store with great people) had in stock.

The results were fantastic, at least in comparison to the stock tires. Traction is massively improved and the experience of riding the bike is so much better, so much more fun...I can actually pedal the bike instead of pushing it.

I got a lot of feedback via Twitter from folks who suggested tires, and I appreciate all of it and just want to thank everyone for taking the time to share their experiences and point me in the right direction.

TRENDING THREADS