• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Waylon Jennings Special

Waylon Jennings is a country music legend, very influential among current country performers. He was a close friend of Buddy Holly’s and should have been on the latter’s fatal plane but he left his place to Big Bopper at the last moment. Waylon is famous for initiating the movement “Outlaw Country” because of the negative criticism from the record companies of Nashville who were publishing softer sound in the sixties, more mainstream and with cooler lyrics. The Outlaw movement developed in Texas, talking about the hard cowboy life. As Whitey Morgan argued: “The roots of country music are despair, pain, sorrow and anguish expressed through song. Drinking, prison, hitting the road, loving and leaving women - these are the classic themes in country. There are no flip-flops in country music. There is no Margaritaville or sandy beaches to the Outlaws.”

Musically speaking, the Outlaw movement is characterized by a bluesy beat, inspired by Elvis’ bluesy covers of country classics and inspired from southern rock. The movement was long to develop but became popular in the late seventies.

My dad bought an LP in the eighties about the Outlaw:
wanted-the-outlaws-willie-nelson-waylon-jennings-jessi-coulter-tompall-glaser-1976.jpg

It says “Waylon Jennings, as the most visible of the progressive country pack as been quietly fighting for years in his own way for acceptance. Both he & Jessi Colter (who, coincidentally, is also known as Mrs. Waylon Jennings) were authentically ahead of their time. Now, the times have caught up with them. […]

They’re the cutting edge of a brand of American music that I find the most satisfying development in popular music in the past decade. It’s not country and it’s not country-rock, but there’s no real need to worry about labeling it. It’s just damned good music that’s true and honest and you can’t ask for more than that.”

Ain’t Living Long Like This That beat! & the beloved patriot tonk at 3.48 is awesome !!!
Lonesome On’ry Mean from the Lost Outlaw Concert, his best performance. Ralph Mooney on pedal steel, long time partner.
Ramblin’ Man
This Time
Don't you think this outlaw bit's done got outta hand Compare to James Hetfield’s performance and dare to say Heavy Metal > Country Music
The Conversation feat. Hank Williams Jr, talking about the latter’s father: Hank sr.
Oh Dixie, Now You’re Done

Great tribute to the greatest part of America:

(Writer: Paul Kennerly)

Oh Dixie, hang your head and cry
You have seen so many children die
You had courage and you had pride
But the Union could never see your side, at all

Oh, oh, oh, not at all
Oh Dixie, now the land is scarred,
The States are bleeding
They're wounded and marred
Mister Lincoln isn't here to lend a hand
Now he's gone and bitter, hate rules the land.
You're done

Oh, oh, oh Dixie, you're done
Oh Dixie, oh Dixie, now you're done
Oh Dixie, oh Dixie, oh Dixie, now you're done.

Oh Dixie, oh Dixie, oh Dixie, now you're done...

Read more: http://artists.letssingit.com/waylon-jennings-lyrics-dixie-now-youre-done-pbwmd7k#ixzz3dYOoRNEJ

Southland Bleeding More on Dixie! :)

"I will say then that I am not, nor have ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
Abraham Lincoln spoke these words on Sept. 18, 1858 during his 4th debate with Stephen Douglas.

The Eagle with Paul Franklin on pedal steel. He had a fruitful partnership with Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler

It’s So Easy Buddy Holly cover
Don’t Think Twice Bob Dylan Cover

Guest appearance in Maverick (starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster & James Garner)

Tribute to Waylon Jennings: Rowdy Johnson - Haunted Guitar "It ain't the guitar that makes the man." "I swear I heard ol' Waylon saying an outlaw never dies." :)

Great post Echoes. There's not much I can say, other than agree to the status Waylon Jennings represents in country music. I admit he's not my favourite country artist, I rather the slower rythms and ballad-like songs, as opposed to that bluesy beat you mention, but it's impossible not to enjoy at least his voice. Of course, the music goes beyond that, his lyrics are a great trait. This is also my musical ignorance speaking a bit, as I'm sure not all of his songs have a faster tempo (actually looking at the songs you posted this is really a stupid perception I had). For instance, I'm thinking that I really like his and Nelson's cover of Ed Bruce's 'Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys'. I think 'This Time' is my favourite.

The first Willie Nelson song I listened to was 'Crazy', and maybe because of that it's always been the one I like the most form him.

Just some curiosity, James Garner (whom I remember from your 2014 Necrology thread) who starred in Maverick, where as you pointed out Waylon made an appearance, also did a series called Bret Maverick, where Ed Bruce, who is of the few country artists I know, my favourite, co-starred. :)

Ed Bruce - The Littlest Cowboy Rides Again

Ed Bruce - The Migrant

Sun Kil Moon - Carry Me, Ohio Maybe Libertine likes the band, maybe not. Could be considered a continuation of Red House Painters, though moving away a bit from the slowcore. Think with SKM is possible to appreciate Kozelek's vocals better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRA7weVyLs

The Smiths - Asleep The Smiths in their best fatalistic, pessimistic, noir pre-Romanticism self.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0NySCmuFU

Peter Gabriel & Youssou N'Dour - In Your Eyes Live in Athens. I don't really have words for this. The King of Dakar with some of the most melodic vocals ever. And Peter Gabriel's flawless voice is something else. And the keyboard. And the dance. And the mbalax. And the sounds of Senegal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Map2v04PuFc

Hey BigMac,

Your cousin is still playing "Mamma's Don't ..." ? lol.
Of course, Waylon also performed country ballads !! The great artists are those who can vary genres. ;) One that I'm thinking of and that I haven't shared yet is Them Old Love Songs. You might like it. Oh and This Time is also my favourite. It's a self-penned song of his and I love the outro of it but he owes a lot to Ralph Mooney on the pedal steel guitar, really my favourite instrument.

I didn't know Ed Bruce, thanks for sharing. The Maverick film is based on the old series (Mel Gibson is also "Bret" Maverick, but Jodie also calls him Bert :D). Never seen any episode but I know it because it starred Clint Eastwood & Roger Moore before they were famous. The film is a Western parody. I'll always remember that quote by Mel Gibson: "Indians, I kill one of them every morning before lunch. After all it's their fault for being one our land before we arrived." :D

But if you prefer country ballads, then we may agree on Don Williams. He's the country singer I'm listening the most at the moment and it's really slow tempo all the way.

Some Broken Hearts Never Mend (with Lloyd Green on pedal steel, who put the song to another level here; also played with the Byrds)
I Recall A Gipsy Woman
She's in Love with a Rodeo Man (ouch! it's about rodeo, perhaps you won't like it, eheh)
Ain't It Amazing Personal favourite, this outro! :)
Where the Arkansas River Leaves Oklahoma
Falling Again
Slowly but Surely
It's Good to See You Loved it when I was a kid!
Rainy Nights & Memories
Tulsa Time Perhaps his bluesier tune, covered by Eric Clapton...
My Rifle My pony & Me which I find better than Dean Martin's performance in Rio Bravo. I know that that statement would make many jump but it's my opinion lol.
Lay Down Beside Me
I Keep Putting Off Getting Over You
Coming Apart
You're My Best Friend
Till the Rivers All Run Dry

Okay I'll stop here because I could get on for years lol. I could listen to him all day long without being tired of it. :)

BigMac said:
Sun Kil Moon - Carry Me, Ohio Maybe Libertine likes the band, maybe not. Could be considered a continuation of Red House Painters, though moving away a bit from the slowcore. Think with SKM is possible to appreciate Kozelek's vocals better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKRA7weVyLs
I absolutely adore Sun Kil Moon.

It's just that I think the RHPs were better. Kozelek is a genius. Best track on that album is Duk Koo Kim though.

"Waylon Jennings is a country music legend, very influential among current country performers. He was a close friend of Buddy Holly’s and should have been on the latter’s fatal plane but he left his place to Big Bopper at the last moment. Waylon is famous for initiating the movement “Outlaw Country” because of the negative criticism from the record companies of Nashville who were publishing softer sound in the sixties, more mainstream and with cooler lyrics. The Outlaw movement developed in Texas, talking about the hard cowboy life. As Whitey Morgan argued: “The roots of country music are despair, pain, sorrow and anguish expressed through song. Drinking, prison, hitting the road, loving and leaving women - these are the classic themes in country. There are no flip-flops in country music. There is no Margaritaville or sandy beaches to the Outlaws.”

Musically speaking, the Outlaw movement is characterized by a bluesy beat, inspired by Elvis’ bluesy covers of country classics and inspired from southern rock. The movement was long to develop but became popular in the late seventies.

My dad bought an LP in the eighties about the Outlaw:
wanted-the-outlaws-willie-nelson-waylon-jennings-jessi-coulter-tompall-glaser-1976.jpg

It says “Waylon Jennings, as the most visible of the progressive country pack as been quietly fighting for years in his own way for acceptance. Both he & Jessi Colter (who, coincidentally, is also known as Mrs. Waylon Jennings) were authentically ahead of their time. Now, the times have caught up with them. […]

They’re the cutting edge of a brand of American music that I find the most satisfying development in popular music in the past decade. It’s not country and it’s not country-rock, but there’s no real need to worry about labeling it. It’s just damned good music that’s true and honest and you can’t ask for more than that.”

If yo were to ask me if I am a Country Music fan, I would say no, but if you ask me if I am a Waylon fan I would say yes. My dad listened to Waylon, Willie, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Emmy (last name?), Sam (why can't I remember their last names?!), and other outlaws, plus Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, Hank Williams Sr., Marty Robbins... thanks for the ramble down memory lane. EDIT: It was driving me nuts so I wikied it: Emmylou Harris and Sammi Smith. Two other names that I forgot about until I saw them on Wiki: Kris Kristofferson and Tanya Tucker.

What do you think of Shooter Jennings?

He's okay. I remember his version of Dire Straits' Walk of Life and he had a small role in Walk the Line, playing his father I think.

But well, I've never believed that talent could be handed over from generations to generations, though. :p

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Mingus is one of my favorite jazz "all rounders". Might take some time getting used to, but he really kicks butt imo.

Yeah Mingus' music is often very dense, it needs a bit of a trained ear to really appreciate it I think, but Mingus is definitely one of my favourites. :)

I remember when I started getting into jazz in my late teens Moanin' was one of the pieces that really got me into it definitively. The piece is really very weird if not completely crazy, but amazingly complex at the same time and that's what I like about Mingus I guess. It really blew me away the first time I heard it and if I haven't listened to it for a while it blows me away again. :D

Charles Mingus - Moanin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Also The God Machine - Scenes from the second storey, another awesome record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9VAgfrSeRo

Yes! That's a monster of an album. I am especially fond of the 16 minutes long 'Seven'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LZaytY3SdU

Anyway, at the moment I'm listening to this lovely, little track from Kevin Morby, 'Slow Train'. Fitting title for this perfect downer of a slacker-folkrock tune. The album, 'Harlem River', is gorgeous by the way. Some glorious Dylan and Reed-vibes all over that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtP-SGN6VcE

Echoes said:
But if you prefer country ballads, then we may agree on Don Williams. He's the country singer I'm listening the most at the moment and it's really slow tempo all the way.

Some Broken Hearts Never Mend (with Lloyd Green on pedal steel, who put the song to another level here; also played with the Byrds)
I Recall A Gipsy Woman
She's in Love with a Rodeo Man (ouch! it's about rodeo, perhaps you won't like it, eheh)
Ain't It Amazing Personal favourite, this outro!
Where the Arkansas River Leaves Oklahoma
Falling Again

It's Good to See You Loved it when I was a kid!
Rainy Nights & Memories
Tulsa Time Perhaps his bluesier tune, covered by Eric Clapton...
My Rifle My pony & Me which I find better than Dean Martin's performance in Rio Bravo. I know that that statement would make many jump but it's my opinion lol.
Lay Down Beside Me
I Keep Putting Off Getting Over You
Coming Apart
You're My Best Friend
Till the Rivers All Run Dry

Okay I'll stop here because I could get on for years lol. I could listen to him all day long without being tired of it. :)

More Don Williams
Say It Again A diamond, this one!! This pedal steel, this outro!
scottty500
If there is such a thing as easy-listening country music, this is it!
Amanda
If I Needed You Duet with Emmylou Harris ;), Townes Van Zandt cover, but much improved version.

Also the latest events make me want to listen to all these:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama with a huge Svastika in the background :D
Gretchen Wilson - Redneck Woman
Well, I ain't never been the Barbie doll type
No, I can't swig that sweet Champagne, I'd rather drink beer all night
In a tavern or in a beloved patriot tonk or on a four-wheel drive tailgate
I've got posters on my wall of Skynyrd, Kid and Strait
Some people look down on me, but I don't give a rip
I'll stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
'Cause I'm a redneck woman
I ain't no high class broad
I'm just a product of my raising
I say, 'hey ya'll' and 'yee-haw'
And I know all the words to every Charlie Daniels song

Hank Williams Jr - Dixie on my Mind that big Svastika! :p
Jerry Jeff Walker - Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother A great song written by Ray Wilie Hubbard!
Confederate Railroad - Daddy Never was the Cadillac Kind beautiful ballad that shaped my childhood too. :)
Confederate Railroad - I Hate Rap

The best Country music band in the 90's, for sure:
1346876201confederaterailroadlogo.jpg

TRENDING THREADS