• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 329 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A couple of new releases from the vibrant Sydney indie scene.
The third single from Phantastic Ferniture's soon-come album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQl8j2jDXeQ
Another single from Georgia Mulligan called "The Dark":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOCnsAypo8
Ryan Brennan plays drums on both songs, but all the musos
in both bands seem to be involved in more than one project,
as do some of the other indie musicians that're in the videos.
'A girl's gotta make ends meet, even down on Jubilee Street.'

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
the delgados said:
I promise this will be my last contribution for a while. I don't want to monopolise the thread.
Don't think there is such a thing as monopolizing the thread, we all obviously have very different tastes in music and there's nothing wrong with sharing them.

And if you feel like sharing what you're listening to at the moment that's what this thread is actually all about!

(Sometimes I listen to what I would consider incredibly ****** music, and I'm at peace with that.)

Thanks for the kind words, Tricycle Rider.
Now I feel comfortable unleashing my favourite tune ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hij_QxDkIJI

I kid. Seriously, do not click on the link.

These things are all relative: I sat through a lot of Celine, etc. for a woman with whom I was more or less telepathic in many other ways. Having a parent as professional vocalist (said vocalist has never come to embrace more visceral, bottom heavy and relentlessly repetitive forms of music) I could appreciate the technical achievements of some music such as Celine , but can’t “feel” the appeal in any way. I think the judgmental attitude that comes out of people I know in whom there’s little curiosity outside certain clear boundaries is more detrimental. Everyone should have mixed registers of taste.

Re:

aphronesis said:
These things are all relative: I sat through a lot of Celine, etc. for a woman with whom I was more or less telepathic in many other ways. Having a parent as professional vocalist (said vocalist has never come to embrace more visceral, bottom heavy and relentlessly repetitive forms of music) I could appreciate the technical achievements of some music such as Celine , but can’t “feel” the appeal in any way. I think the judgmental attitude that comes out of people I know in whom there’s little curiosity outside certain clear boundaries is more detrimental. Everyone should have mixed registers of taste.

Funny you say that--my friend always accuses me of being a music snob. "Oh it's too popular so you don't like it.'
I vehemently disagree.
I know nothing about music. I cannot play an instrument and I've been told my singing voice is the best of the worst.
That said, I know what I like, and Celine Dion is absolutely awful in my opinion.
I know everything music-wise is subjective, hence the reason I don't chime in when someone posts a tune that is deplorable.
Sure, she has a great voice. But it has gone to waste. (See Low for an example of how a beautiful voice can mix perfectly with an awful one.)
p.s. I know I'm being subjective, so no need to remind me.

Amen to that, the delgados. Mimi Parker is a wonderful singer, who can pretty much make me tear up at any given time. And the Two Step/Weight of Water-combo off of 'Secret Name' is one of the most beautiful things in the world. Oh boy, I'm gonna listen to Secret Name right now.

Speaking of voices, I was just listening to Cranes' wonderful 'Loved' album. Alison Shaw's voice is probably peculiar rather than beautiful, but it's just so goddamn infectious (in lack of better words). Here's one of my favorites, Shining Road.

Re:

mortand said:
Amen to that, the delgados. Mimi Parker is a wonderful singer, who can pretty much make me tear up at any given time. And the Two Step/Weight of Water-combo off of 'Secret Name' is one of the most beautiful things in the world. Oh boy, I'm gonna listen to Secret Name right now.

Speaking of voices, I was just listening to Cranes' wonderful 'Loved' album. Alison Shaw's voice is probably peculiar rather than beautiful, but it's just so goddamn infectious (in lack of better words). Here's one of my favorites, Shining Road.

Thanks for posting the Cranes. That is an awesome tune. Ladies and gentlemen, we're talking five-out-of-five here.
I wish I knew how to properly talk about music, but the only words I can use to describe that song is how dense the sounds are. It is beautifully multi-layered.
Also, the singer's voice reminds me of the crush I have on the server at my local coffee shop. It is exactly the same.

Mayomaniac said:
Forever The Best said:
Mayomaniac said:
Metallica - The Thing That Should Not Be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo
Hahahahahahaha great one after today.
At least someone got the joke. :D
Did something happen during the latest stage of le Tour that I didn't catch? Sorry, have to be at work first thing in the morning so cannot watch it live...

In the meantime, do any of you still possess one of these? I was never such a cool kid back in the 80s, but apparently my older brother was. Which is whom this damn thing still belongs to now.

135500cool1531951741.jpg

Mayomaniac said:
Forever The Best said:
Mayomaniac said:
Metallica - The Thing That Should Not Be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJGt67Mwmo
Hahahahahahaha great one after today.
At least someone got the joke. :D

Yeah, I did when you put it up, but always had trouble with that song. Or Lovecraft. Plus there was trying to get a typology of the ethical limits in the clinic.

Probably Lovecraft actually. That song was incredibly sinister back then on that side of the album.

Re:

aphronesis said:
These things are all relative: I sat through a lot of Celine, etc. for a woman with whom I was more or less telepathic in many other ways. Having a parent as professional vocalist (said vocalist has never come to embrace more visceral, bottom heavy and relentlessly repetitive forms of music) I could appreciate the technical achievements of some music such as Celine , but can’t “feel” the appeal in any way.
Was this when the movie Titanic first came out?

I will admit Celine is a technically/perfectly excellent singer, however, I never quite connected with her style. It just kinda lacks the kind of soul that I like to hear in a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWZt_WKzuR8
The Phantastic Ferniture album finally released. I've
previously posted the three singles that have already
dropped. This tune "Take It Off" is a live show favourite
and comes very close to capturing the shambolic beauty
of the fabulous Ferns in full flight feeding off their "fernetic"
fans frolicking in the sweaty surrounds of a semi-sacrosanct
subterranean Sydney speakeasy. They're at the OAF Aug. 29.
Tickets are still available through the Oxford Art Factory website.
EDIT: OAF Sold Out. Now also at The Lansdowne on August 28th.

TRENDING THREADS