• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

mainly Dylan,springsteen,pink floyd,coldplay, pearl jam...right now julieta venegas

hrotha said:
The Replacements were great.

Yeah, Thoughtforfood had some good tunes listed there.

Rocksteady said:
I'm loving Muse, The Killers and Pomplamoose (I love the Youtube videosongs) right now.

But I listen to everything from Sinatra to Zac Brown Band to Emery.

Love me some Maynard Ferguson too.

OK Muse fans. I know you're out there. How about:
Muse – Time is running out
Then I'm not normally into punk, but this one I like (especially the first couple of minutes):
Refused – New noise

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
Does she sing in English?

To learn Spanish ive been listening only to Spanish music for a long time and she is one of my favorites.

You should have a Dylan lyric in your sig btw;)
no, she sings in spanish...dont understand her half the time lolzz...yea, good idea abt my sig, thanks.

At the moment I'm just shuffling through every song my iTunes claims I haven't listened to. The last five tracks:

Ed Harcourt - Ghost Writer
Mount Eerie - Goodbye Hope
The Posies - Friendship of the Future
Tim Hecker - Palimpsest I (well, those 36 seconds of instrumental sounds hardly qualify as a song, but you know...)
Liz Phair - Gunshy

Interesting, huh?

I'm with ACF, for once. Muse are horrible.

Matt Bellamy seems to think he's Jimmy Page, Thom Yorke and Jeff Buckley rolled into one. He is drunk on his own glory. "THIS GUITAR NEEDS MORE PITCHSHIFT! THIS CHORUS NEEDS MORE FALSETTO!!!"

Sometimes, less is more. Muse have got steadily worse as they started out pretty promisingly, then as albums went by, added layer after layer of unnecessary ostentatiousness.

The Knife ~ Like A Pen

Disagreed. What makes Muse great is that pointless bombastic grandiloquence. Sometimes less is more, hell, I should know, as most of my favourite bands are punk one way or another, but that's simply not their steez. It's like asking Arcade Fire to not be epic (although in their latest album they definitely turn down the epicness and it works very well).

hrotha said:
Disagreed. What makes Muse great is that pointless bombastic grandiloquence. Sometimes less is more, hell, I should know, as most of my favourite bands are punk one way or another, but that's simply not their steez. It's like asking Arcade Fire to not be epic (although in their latest album they definitely turn down the epicness and it works very well).

If I want pointless bombastic grandiloquence I'll listen to Emerson Lake & Palmer, since they were more grandiloquent, more bombastic, and more pointless.

Back in my teenage days I had that whole prog thing going on, the belief that the reason some bands didn't play 7 minute songs with multiple time signature changes and huge solos was because they were incapable. After a while I realised that, actually, it's because they didn't need to. Johnny Marr of the Smiths played guitar lines as difficult as anything any of the big metal or prog acts put out - but for him they were the basis of a 3-minute pop song. Just adding more only works up to a point; once you reach that you're just saturating things, and everything just melts into one. Muse used to be a thoroughly decent band, but they just disappeared up their own asses. A bit like Smashing Pumpkins or Nine Inch Nails before them.

Once I felt like the bombast was something that added to the songs. As they've gone on, it's feeling more and more like the bombast is something designed to mask the songs' inadequacies. A bit like how the comedy videos were designed to draw attention away from the realisation that the Foo Fighters never made a good record apart from their first album.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
you serious? :eek: muse is awesome!

Some evidence of this is their butchering of Feeling Good. God that is an awful rendition of a classic soul song.

I think they are just simply awful. The lead singer couldn't properly hit a note even if his life depended on it.

auscyclefan94 said:
AAAAAH! Muse!:eek: I thought you had better taste then that!

LOL! That's probably because I like Powderfinger and so on. :D Actually I like a lot of different stuff. It sometimes depends on my mood and what I want to hear. I sometimes like to focus on specific instrumentals, like bass or drums, focus on those and tune everything else out. For instance if I want drums, I might listen to some Led Zeppelin (John Bonham was lead-foot drummer, awesome). In this particular Muse tune, I liked the bass and then around the 1:45 time mark there's some decent drum going on.

Michielveedeebee said:
you serious? :eek: muse is awesome!

Atta boy!

Libertine Seguros said:
I'm with ACF, for once. Muse are horrible.

I'm really glad I could bring you two together! ;)

Libertine Seguros said:
If I want pointless bombastic grandiloquence I'll listen to Emerson Lake & Palmer, since they were more grandiloquent, more bombastic, and more pointless.

Did you say ELP? I like some of their stuff too.

TRENDING THREADS