• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

carton said:
Tonton said:
Gloin22 said:
I wish if he can finish 2nd in GC without top 10in any stage. That would be an achievement equally worthy of winning Tour imho

Then we'll call him Haimar Quintana ;) .

Seriously, I think he's off. He does the best he can, but he's not performing at his level. All he can do is wait and hope that the form will come. Too bad. At the same time, it's sad for Valverde, who plays dom and looks really strong. Too bad he can't give it a crack...
Yep, Valverde has been doing a great job. Best teammate of the Tour so far. Missed opportunity for Nairo to have someone that strong helping him. And to be fair, Movistar as a whole have been good. But Sky have the strongest team and the strongest rider so far. Them's the breaks.

Where was it that Movistar team was considered best? It was a point system and Movistar came out on top. That too with a huge margin over Sky, who was second best.

silvergrenade said:
Where was it that Movistar team was considered best? It was a point system and Movistar came out on top. That too with a huge margin over Sky, who was second best.
"Best" doesn't mean strongest. That "best" means either UCI points over the year or the added time of the best three riders in every Tour stage. Sky isn't focused those rankings, as much as finishing the Tour in yellow. I mean, they'd take it if it was there for the taking, but Sky are definitely the "best" at not giving any fingers about anything else but their main goal.

carton said:
Tonton said:
Gloin22 said:
I wish if he can finish 2nd in GC without top 10in any stage. That would be an achievement equally worthy of winning Tour imho

Seriously, I think he's off. He does the best he can, but he's not performing at his level. All he can do is wait and hope that the form will come. Too bad. At the same time, it's sad for Valverde, who plays dom and looks really strong. Too bad he can't give it a crack...
Yep, Valverde has been doing a great job. Best teammate of the Tour so far. Missed opportunity for Nairo to have someone that strong helping him. And to be fair, Movistar as a whole have been good. But Sky have the strongest team and the strongest rider so far. Them's the breaks.

Mwah, the GC teamclassification gives a distorted view. Valverde and Oliveira are the only ones who are performing at their usual level. Gorka is utile, Nairo is less good than expected. And then you also have the ''disasters'' like Anacona (who hasn't show a thing this season) and Moreno. Ion seems to be overcooked.

carton said:
silvergrenade said:
"Best" doesn't mean strongest. That "best" means either UCI points over the year or the added time of the best three riders in every Tour stage. Sky isn't focused those rankings, as much as finishing the Tour in yellow. I mean, they'd take it if it was there for the taking, but Sky are definitely the "best" at not giving any fingers about anything else but their main goal.

Thanks fr the info. Much appreciated.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Moviestar said:
carton said:
Tonton said:
Gloin22 said:

Mwah, the GC teamclassification gives a distorted view. Valverde and Oliveira are the only ones who are performing at their usual level. Gorka is utile, Nairo is less good than expected. And then you also have the ''disasters'' like Anacona (who hasn't show a thing this season) and Moreno. Ion seems to be overcooked.

Movistar is riding like s***! Nairo also...

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
It's stage 17 or never I think. Stage 17 has 2 consecutive hard climbs in the end with no flat section between them which should suit him.

Movistar should ride hard tempo all the stage, and try to eliminate skyborgs, then its up to Nairo in the penultime climb to attack and make the diference.

But again, with the things that i have seen this days, i dont think so

I hope for a recovery tomorrow and the rest day

LeoMontero said:
RattaKuningas said:
It's stage 17 or never I think. Stage 17 has 2 consecutive hard climbs in the end with no flat section between them which should suit him.

Movistar should ride hard tempo all the stage, and try to eliminate skyborgs, then its up to Nairo in the penultime climb to attack and make the diference.

Luckily for Movistar it seems that Astana will be trying to make moves too because they want to improve their 10th GC position. Astana manager said after today that they will not sit behind Sky wheels until Paris. Obviously it would be good if Movistar and Astana both can make hard tempo because together they should have enough strength to shake Sky train and dismantle it.
So even if Movistar won't do anything Quintana could still benefit from Astana tactics.

LeoMontero said:
RattaKuningas said:

Movistar will blow themselves up in that way, Sky is much stronger at the moment. If Movistar is setting the tempo the whole stage, they will be indirectly also working for Froome because the Skyborgs get free help from Movistar.

Moviestar said:
LeoMontero said:
RattaKuningas said:

Movistar will blow themselves up in that way, Sky is much stronger at the moment. If Movistar is setting the tempo the whole stage, they will be indirectly also working for Froome because the Skyborgs get free help from Movistar.

Ok, whats your plan, let them ride, set tempo, and come to the final km with 3 skyborgs plus Froome???

The need to try at least. They only have 4 stages and I think its pretty imposible to take that advantage in 1 stage only

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
Will he ever win a tour? I think he isn't better than 3 years ago and he doesn't have a big acceleration and he doesn't do good time trials too.

By the time Froome start to decline, there will probably a new GT star with a good TT and climbing skills.

Quintana could very well turn out to be the next Andy Schleck in that sense. Still think Andy Schleck was a far more exciting rider though.

Mr.White said:
Moviestar said:
carton said:
Tonton said:
Gloin22 said:

Movistar is riding like s***! Nairo also...

Partly agree with you. There isn't in principle much wrong with their racetactics. They have mostly someone up front but they can't fulfill their tactics later on in the stage because the man upfront hasn't much power left to be useful (Anacona, Herrada, Izagirre). Nairo isn't able (for now) to launch an attack either and to benefit from his teammates. A big difference with the stage to L'Alpe d'Huez last year.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Have he really been so much worse than normal? I'm not so sure. I can remember him being the 2nd best climber behind Froome in both 2013 and 2015 in the first few mountain stages, and then the best in the last few stages.

But the thing is that the other GC guys seems to have upped their level and Froome seems to be a notch below his best. Maybe he's right about peaking for the 3rd week? Also in Dauphine - Contador, Froome and Porte were quite evenly matched Bardet and almost Dan Martin.

I'm not really sure Quintana is below his usual level right now. The windy stages also seems to have taken it's toll on him.

I think the playfield is more even this year, which makes Quintana look worse than he actually is.

He did a very good TT, just look the times, he is the best tiny cyclist in the list, and the wind make him a lot of damage. He can not deliver yet a show in the mountains, and thats is what we all expect.

I think that some day he will win the tour. He is only 26, at this age Froome didnt even win a stage in a WT race.