• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
Visit site
King Boonen said:
he'll have plenty of access through Movistar, even if it means a trip to Spain. There are some good TTers on that team too who can help him out.

who are the good TTers? Or, are there anyone geographically near Colombia who can help/coach nairo in TTs?

Also, all the TTers I have seen so far are bulkier than climbers. So does that mean that he will have to sacrifice his climbing advantage to acquire better TT skill?
 

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
5,122
0
0
Visit site
Angliru said:
Just when I was gaining a tiny bit of respect for you, you post this pile of steaming cow dung on the forum. You've stooped to a new low even for you.
:(

What? Me and my knowledge are not respectable lol? You are kidding.

On a serious note, it was a typical joke in my style. I used it for 1000th time.( Strange that you still hook on it. :)
 
ILovecycling said:
I would like to ask Escarabajo or any other colombian here...

1.What are the feelings of Colombians after Tour and Nairo icredible result?
2.What about media,is there more of cycling articles,TV programmes etc?
3.other interesting info about this topic
I live in USA. But I watched the 20th stage in Colombia. The señal Colombia channel was incredible when broadcasting. It brought memories of the 80's. They are getting exited in Colombia. But the excitement is shared with soccer because we are doing very well in that sport as well. And soccer will always be first in Colombia. I personally care more for cycling because it has and can give us more victories and joy than soccer.

Having said that stay tune in today for the news because at 3:30 pm Nairo arrives in Colombia. He'll go to the Presidential house and probably do a celebration ride from the airport. So watch the news tonight.

http://www.eltiempo.com/

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I live in USA. But I watched the 20th stage in Colombia. The señal Colombia channel was incredible when broadcasting. It brought memories of the 80's. They are getting exited in Colombia. But the excitement is shared with soccer because we are doing very well in that sport as well. And soccer will always be first in Colombia. I personally care more for cycling because it has and can give us more victories and joy than soccer.

Having said that stay tune in today for the news because at 3:30 pm Nairo arrives in Colombia. He'll go to the Presidential house and probably do a celebration ride from the airport. So watch the news tonight.

http://www.eltiempo.com/

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/

Thank you very much mate,I really appreciate this inside informarion,thanks for links too.:)
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
murali said:
A general query regarding blocking people:

If we ignore a person, will quotes containing that person's come too?

One person has started irritating me with unwarranted comments on anyone other than a certain rider.


Is there any facility in colombia to improve TT? I have been looking at Quintana only after last year's performance, and he seems to prefer training in hometown more than anywhere else.

you don't need any facility to improve your itt, just your itt bike and some roads
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I would like to ask Escarabajo or any other colombian here...

1.What are the feelings of Colombians after Tour and Nairo icredible result?
2.What about media,is there more of cycling articles,TV programmes etc?
3.other interesting info about this topic

cycling in colombia is not a sport, it's a religion, imagine the president himself santos called during midnight colombian time during last mountainstage of the giro to congratulate uran, duarte and betancurt on their performance. they didn;t even win yet. imagine what happens if a colombian wisn the giro or tour. especially the tour. cycling is on the rise for years now but with quintana has become madness. he's an icon and a superstar. same with henao btw. because of all this quintana's former trainer is getting new sponsoring money and there are already hundreds of pro's in colombia. papers and radio are always full of it, also many interviews.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I live in USA. But I watched the 20th stage in Colombia. The señal Colombia channel was incredible when broadcasting. It brought memories of the 80's. They are getting exited in Colombia. But the excitement is shared with soccer because we are doing very well in that sport as well. And soccer will always be first in Colombia. I personally care more for cycling because it has and can give us more victories and joy than soccer.

Having said that stay tune in today for the news because at 3:30 pm Nairo arrives in Colombia. He'll go to the Presidential house and probably do a celebration ride from the airport. So watch the news tonight.

http://www.eltiempo.com/

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/

football isn't more popular in colombia and never was. only short time during 90s one can argue. but football is popular in northern caribean states. cycling is popular in all major states and cities, bogota/cundinamarca, antioquia(medellin) etc. then there is boyaca where cycling is a way of life.
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
football isn't more popular in colombia and never was. only short time during 90s one can argue. but football is popular in northern caribean states. cycling is popular in all major states and cities, bogota/cundinamarca, antioquia(medellin) etc. then there is boyaca where cycling is a way of life.

Wasn't there a footballer from Colombia shot for a mistake in world cup, seems strange for a country not interested in football, Asprialla was a great Colombian footballer, great hatrick against Barcelona
 
Aug 5, 2012
2,290
0
0
Visit site
del1962 said:
Wasn't there a footballer from Colombia shot for a mistake in world cup, seems strange for a country not interested in football, Asprialla was a great Colombian footballer, great hatrick against Barcelona

He was shot because he lost money for drug barons who had bet on the match.

Not really an indicator of how popular football was/is in the country.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
del1962 said:
Wasn't there a footballer from Colombia shot for a mistake in world cup, seems strange for a country not interested in football, Asprialla was a great Colombian footballer, great hat rick against Barcelona

he was shot because cartels lost money betting on Colombia. had nothing to do with popularity or anything. besides former cyclist lucho herrera was once kidnapped by local militia and they offered him to the farc. the farc went nuts saying bring him back or the whole country will turn against us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgW9yejI_DE

this is what happened after quintana won the tour the avenir in 2010 in bogota airport. this speaks volumes. imagine what would happen should he win the tour
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
cycling in colombia is not a sport, it's a religion, imagine the president himself santos called during midnight colombian time during last mountainstage of the giro to congratulate uran, duarte and betancurt on their performance. they didn;t even win yet. imagine what happens if a colombian wisn the giro or tour. especially the tour. cycling is on the rise for years now but with quintana has become madness. he's an icon and a superstar. same with henao btw. because of all this quintana's former trainer is getting new sponsoring money and there are already hundreds of pro's in colombia. papers and radio are always full of it, also many interviews.

+1;)...please dont get banned yourself again:D,you usually provide very useful information.
anyway...
Thats why I'm so delighted with colombian people and esp cyclists.I have never been in Colombia but I know few people who were and they say the same.
Their passion and pride for their cyclists and country is exceptional and beautiful.
 
ILovecycling said:
Their passion and pride for their cyclists and country is exceptional and beautiful.

I 100% agree, i hope we get more Colombian riders in the World Tour, i find them very interesting to follow, and they are humble in the interviews, wish i could read spanish though, seems to be a lot of interviews with Colombian cyclists. They have my respect
 
In Colombia, cycling has increased in popularity regardless of Quintana.

Let's not let the cult of personality overwhelm what is a very positive grass-roots situation that has been developing in the country over the years.

You can tell by the races-more participants, more publicity and more funding by local and nationally-run businesses.

The biggest obstacle is economics. Guys are out there still riding bikes with downtube shifters. In a country like Colombia, inclusion to the sport of cycling demands a greater amount of resources because most cannot afford the equipment we here in the US take for granted, and the local quality of necessities like cycling clothing is, though improving, still hit-and-miss.
 
Cyivel said:
He was shot because he lost money for drug barons who had bet on the match.

Not really an indicator of how popular football was/is in the country.

He was shot because he ran into a couple of drug dealers who were drunk, high, and felt entitled to belittle him. The confrontation got out of hand and, in typical narco style, they handled it with guns.

The Colombian team was receiving death threats from the moment they stepped out on the field during that World Cup, but there was never any evidence that a specific bounty was placed on Escobar's head and that his murderers were lying in wait for him or following him around looking for the opportunity to take him out.

You guys need to stop believing everything you read.
 
del1962 said:
Wasn't there a footballer from Colombia shot for a mistake in world cup, seems strange for a country not interested in football, Asprialla was a great Colombian footballer, great hatrick against Barcelona

I don't think anyone said that football wasn't popular in Colombia, just not as popular as cycling (at least in one posted opinion).
 
Aug 5, 2012
2,290
0
0
Visit site
Berzin said:
He was shot because he ran into a couple of drug dealers who were drunk, high, and felt entitled to belittle him. The confrontation got out of hand and, in typical narco style, they handled it with guns.

The Colombian team was receiving death threats from the moment they stepped out on the field during that World Cup, but there was never any evidence that a specific bounty was placed on Escobar's head and that his murderers were lying in wait for him or following him around looking for the opportunity to take him out.

You guys need to stop believing everything you read.

OK, I'll start with not believing this.
 
Berzin said:
In Colombia, cycling has increased in popularity regardless of Quintana.

Let's not let the cult of personality overwhelm what is a very positive grass-roots situation that has been developing in the country over the years.

You can tell by the races-more participants, more publicity and more funding by local and nationally-run businesses.

The biggest obstacle is economics. Guys are out there still riding bikes with downtube shifters. In a country like Colombia, inclusion to the sport of cycling demands a greater amount of resources because most cannot afford the equipment we here in the US take for granted, and the local quality of necessities like cycling clothing is, though improving, still hit-and-miss.

Don't know if this is allowed but search for Dreams to Wheels organization on facebook. He coordinates donations from the US to various cycling clubs in Colombia. I just sent a huge box to him to go to the Rigoberto Uran Cycyling Club in Urrao. As for the futbol player who got shot up, ESPN 30 for 30 "Narco Soccer" was a great documentary on the whole period in Colombia.
 
Sorry to weight in, but there is some misleading information given here. I'm also a Colombian living abroad (Montréal) for the last 8 years.
1. Escarabajo is right, Football in Colombia is the #1 sport, they cover the sport section in TV news and newspapers with that, even the radio stations are about football. Cycling is a far second and roller skating 3rd (Colombia has dominated this sport for the last two decades).
Apart from local and international football, TV news prefer to fill the sports section with a dog catching a Frisbee or 60 fat guys playing for 4 seconds every 2 minutes, a sport nobody plays or understand because that's cheaper than sending reporters to a nationals of any other sport, cycling included.
This is no longer the 80's when 3 radio chains would send tens of reporters to TdF, Vuelta and Giro, and TV would start 5AM in the morning for the most important stages (~9AM the rest), there were Vuelta al Táchira or Costa Rica live on radio.

With the decline of Colombian cycling by the time of Alvaro Mejía and Oliverio Rincón the coverage was reduced, sponsors flew and provincial (we call them departments) support was needed (specially in Antioquia and Boyacá). There are specialized programs, local races are broadcasted, and GT may have a journalist to cover the finish and gather some interviews (believe me: When I'm going for a run I try unsuccessfully to use tunein to get radio coverage of a stage in Colombian stations... BTW If you know of live race broadcast in Spanish, English, French or even Italian or Portuguese, please let me know).

But please note that cycling is ingrained in Colombians since the 50's, you gotta see those massive arrivals to some cities, and the rivalry between Antioquia and the Cundiboyacense plateau, also with radio broadcast and and thousands of fans.

Newer generations (10-30 yo) are unaware or indifferent to cycling.

2. We do take pride in the "escarabajos", as they show the other face from our country: That of humble hardworkers from countryside, facing the giant Europeans with "bare legs"(being a bit poetic but that's about it). We perceive the cyclist as closer to the right values, and soccer stars more of a rich playboys, which is not always true

3. Andrés Escobar was killed not because of betting: They (the footballer and the agressors) were going out from a night club, mildly or heavily intoxicated. Escobar was being scolded for the own goal, got dragged in the discussion, it became physical and the others have guns... Put it simple: A brawl outside a bar with an armed gang.

4. When it's midnight in Colombia it's 6AM in Europe, so I doubt Santos called Uran at that time... Better it was dinner time in Europe and the afternoon over there.
-----------------------
Now, to answer Ilovecycling questions:
1. Nairo means a lot for Colombian cycling, as well as the other 3 stars. I'd say Urán and Henao raised the awareness in the last 2 years, but this is the real confirmation of the Colombian cycling return.
It's again a topic of conversation between Colombians and the new generations are back to it.
2. Obviously the mass media are turning their attention to cycling again, it will take time but I hope we can get more sponsors... Look, almost all the Colombian teams are supported by public funds: The 3 Colombia teams (Team, 472, Claro) are supported totally or partially by national funds, EPM-Une is a company owned by the City of Medellín, any team that says loteria, aguardiente, gobernación is a department funded team.
3.It's not only road, we are also getting in track (gold medal last week in worlds), MTB (some wins by Paez in Italy) and BMX (Gold and Bronze in London 2012). It starts getting back again in the mind. As the positive news keep coming (with sponsors) we can expect a better national calendar, improved category for the Vuelta a Colombia and Clásico RCN (well I hope).
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Visit site
In conclusion,I want to say that I hope for improvement in Colombia in terms of cycling & economics.There is lot to improve like you said.
Yesterday,I read in colombian newspapers that Colombia want to host 2017 WC,that would be great ofc:)

Now lets support Sergio,Carlos,Rigo & Colombia team at la Vuelta!
 
ILovecycling said:
In conclusion,I want to say that I hope for improvement in Colombia in terms of cycling & economics.There is lot to improve like you said.
Yesterday,I read in colombian newspapers that Colombia want to host 2017 WC,that would be great ofc:)

Now lets support Sergio,Carlos,Rigo & Colombia team at la Vuelta!
Colombia didn't receive a wild card for the Vuelta. Unfortunately.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
Berzin said:
In Colombia, cycling has increased in popularity regardless of Quintana.

Let's not let the cult of personality overwhelm what is a very positive grass-roots situation that has been developing in the country over the years.

You can tell by the races-more participants, more publicity and more funding by local and nationally-run businesses.

The biggest obstacle is economics. Guys are out there still riding bikes with downtube shifters. In a country like Colombia, inclusion to the sport of cycling demands a greater amount of resources because most cannot afford the equipment we here in the US take for granted, and the local quality of necessities like cycling clothing is, though improving, still hit-and-miss.

the biggest obstacle isn't equipment or anything econimically at all unless it's econimically on the very big picture (world tour sponsoring). it's bad trainers and mentality in other departments. in other countries cycling is moslty an elite sport, where parents buy expensive bikes. in colombia cycling is the sport from the streets, no country has as many cyclists as colombia has or races. the very reason colombia has so many talents is becaquse it's a sport of the streets, uran, soler, quintana, henao all were incredibly poor when young. while in countries like usa and europe it's more something for the "rich"
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
btw yesterday boyacna government announced they will run for world championships 2017 in duitama again :eek::D let's hoep is not some stupid political promise alone
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Visit site
59326_640954882589164_1126287178_n.jpg

1184928_640954865922499_16375612_n.jpg

1185294_640954799255839_843846906_n.jpg
 

TRENDING THREADS