• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The point of a grand tour GC should be to identify the best all round rider (within reason, obviously a top climber is never gonna be a top sprinter). Quintana is a great climber but thats all he is good at. He cant flat TT. There is a competition for the best climber, its called the king of the mountains. A GT parcours should not be designed so that the best climber who is no good at anything else can win the GC. Especially the tour de france which is supposed to be the blue riband event of the whole sport

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
willbick said:
So a guy who showed himself to be one of the best ITT riders ever and was still capable of top level climbing performances, who won the race without losing A SINGLE SECOND to a GC rival was apparently not a worthy winner of le tour. Your prejudices are beyond pathetic

top level climbing performances? you mean he could barely follow jvdb and nibali and froome humiliated him every mountainstage. what a joke win.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
willbick said:
The point of a grand tour GC should be to identify the best all round rider (within reason, obviously a top climber is never gonna be a top sprinter). Quintana is a great climber but thats all he is good at. He cant flat TT. There is a competition for the best climber, its called the king of the mountains. A GT parcours should not be designed so that the best climber who is no good at anything else can win the GC. Especially the tour de france which is supposed to be the blue riband event of the whole sport

how do you know? you know absolutley NOTHING of quintana. he was alreayd a national itt champion u23 at age 18. he rode top 25 wc u23 itt in his first year as an u23 rider. he did top ten itt in his 2nd year in gp portugal itt that was won by tom dumoulin. quintana is especially for his size incredible in flat itt's. his only weakness is the wind, which is normal considering he is 52 kg. but there is almost never wind in tour itt's except this years first itt.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
willbick said:
I would call you one-eyed but i think thats giving you too much credit

let me guess? you are british and only follow cycling since wiggins. I take your credibility as serious as what's left in the toilet after a party.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
1 Taylor PHINNEY USA USA 20 8:55 8 8
2 Alex DOWSETT GBR GBR 22 +6 5 5
3 Michael MATTHEWS AUS AUS 20 +7 2 2
4 Loïc DESRIAC FRA FRA 21 +19
5 John DEGENKOLB GER GER 21 +21
6 Andrew TALANSKY USA USA 22 +24
7 Tom DUMOULIN NED NED 20 +26
8 Nelson OLIVEIRA POR POR 21 +27
9 Jesus HERRADA LOPEZ ESP ESP 20 +28
10 Anthony DELAPLACE FRA FRA 21 +28
11 Martijn KEIZER NED NED 22 +29
12 Vladislav GORBUNOV KAZ KAZ 19 +30
13 Blaz JARC SLO SLO 22 +30
14 Geoffrey SOUPE FRA FRA 22 +30
15 Jerome COUSIN FRA FRA 21 +31
16 Thimothy ROE AUS AUS 21 +31
17 Nairo Alexander QUINTANA ROJAS COL COL 20 +33
18 Mark CHRISTIAN GBR GBR 20 +34
19 Jarlinson PANTANO COL COL 22 +34
20 Wilco KELDERMAN NED NED 19 +34

quintana in the tour avenir prologue that was flat and explosiv,e about as unsuitable to him as possible and look how well he did.

1º 1 CONTADOR, Alberto ESP SAXO BANK-SUNGARD 0:13:42
2º 7 PORTE, Richie AUS SAXO BANK-SUNGARD a 01
3º 18 TONDO, Xavier ESP MOVISTAR TEAM a 03
4º 46 MOLLEMA, Bauke NED RABOBANK CYCLING TEA a 15
5º 32 DOWSETT, Alex GBR SKY PROCYCLING a 19
6º 21 ANTON, Igor ESP EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI a 20
7º 145 SUAREZ, Juan Pablo COL EPM - UNE a 26
8º 146 INFANTINO, Rafael COL EPM - UNE a 31
9º 92 COPPEL, Jerome FRA SAUR SOJASUN a 32
10º 33 FROOME, Christopher GBR SKY PROCYCLING a 38
11º 44 GARATE, Juan M. ESP RABOBANK CYCLING TEA a 38
12º 101 POZZOVIVO, Domenico ITA COLNAGO - CSF INOX a 40
13º 128 GARCIA, Ricardo ESP ORBEA a 43
14º 76 DE LA PARTE, Victor ESP CAJA RURAL a 43
15º 82 QUINTANA, Nairo A. COL Colo. ES PASION-CAF a 44
16º 85 PEÑA, Victor H. COL Colo. ES PASION-CAF a 44
17º 43 TEN DAM, Laurens NED RABOBANK CYCLING TEA a 45
18º 31 CIONI, Dario D. ITA SKY PROCYCLING a 46
19º 93 HIVERT, Jonathan FRA SAUR SOJASUN a 46
20º 4 NAVARRO, Daniel ESP SAXO BANK-SUNGARD a 48

in 2011 castilla leon flat itt. keep in mind quintana is only 21 years old here and 20 in avenir prologue. absolutely amazing results

Ryo Hazuki said:
how do you know? you know absolutley NOTHING of quintana. he was alreayd a national itt champion u23 at age 18. he rode top 25 wc u23 itt in his first year as an u23 rider. he did top ten itt in his 2nd year in gp portugal itt that was won by tom dumoulin. quintana is especially for his size incredible in flat itt's. his only weakness is the wind, which is normal considering he is 52 kg. but there is almost never wind in tour itt's except this years first itt.

So quintana is 'incredible' in flat TTs except when there's any wind. Lol

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
willbick said:
So quintana is 'incredible' in flat TTs except when there's any wind. Lol

yes. hard for you to comprehend probably as you only follow cycling since 2 years and have never been on a racebike

and incredible consideirng his weight yes I know it's hard to read :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

+1, not to mention, the kids 23! Meaning he has a lot of time to improve his TT.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Froome is a big pro at eating like young ignoramuses like Quintana. I'd surrender at once if I were Quintana.

Airstream, you seem to dislike Quintana quite a bit. I'm just curious, why do you dislike Quintana so much?

Perhaps see him as the only threat to Froomes crown? :D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Airstream, you seem to dislike Quintana quite a bit. I'm just curious, why do you dislike Quintana so much?

Perhaps see him as the only threat to Froomes crown? :D

airstream hates popular riders and gets off on that

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
A general query regarding blocking people:

If we ignore a person, will quotes containing that person's come too?

One person has started irritating me with unwarranted comments on anyone other than a certain rider.

Is there any facility in colombia to improve TT? I have been looking at Quintana only after last year's performance, and he seems to prefer training in hometown more than anywhere else.

Quintana is a decent flat TT. I just don't think that he can be one of the best because of his weight . He is just fighting nature. Just like Froome being the climber that he is. He is just battling nature also.

Quintana being the climber that he is can win a Tour. And he would be very worthy winner. He can improve a little on TT and limit losses.

murali said:
A general query regarding blocking people:

If we ignore a person, will quotes containing that person's come too?

One person has started irritating me with unwarranted comments on anyone other than a certain rider.

Is there any facility in colombia to improve TT? I have been looking at Quintana only after last year's performance, and he seems to prefer training in hometown more than anywhere else.

I think quotes will come through, it's blocked by poster name.

9 velodromes he can practice his position in. Other than that he can get out on the roads and ride like anyone else. In terms of wind-tunnels etc. he'll have plenty of access through Movistar, even if it means a trip to Spain. There are some good TTers on that team too who can help him out.

willbick said:
A worthy GT winner should be able to climb and TT (on the flat). That is the test of the complete rider. Quintana is a top climber but he will never be even a reasonable flat TTer. For this reason he would not be a worthy GT winner imo, certainly not a worthy TdF winner. Which is not to say it cannot happen. On a silly parcours it is possible

A worthy Tour winner you mean? Gilberto Simoni, one of my all-time favorites was able to win 2 Giro's without an outstanding flat itt. The Tour tends to be geared for the all-around gt rider while the Vuelta and Giro gives the climbers a better chance at success.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
let me guess? you are british and only follow cycling since wiggins. I take your credibility as serious as what's left in the toilet after a party.
BANG!:D
willbick said:

Its not the point,its your fable.There is no rule which describes what a GT winner should look like...
If I take your bs idea seriously,then Sagan should have won this Tour and at least next 5
TdF.:rolleyes:

Btw nice trolling party here lol
:D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I would like to ask Escarabajo or any other colombian here...

1.What are the feelings of Colombians after Tour and Nairo icredible result?
2.What about media,is there more of cycling articles,TV programmes etc?
3.other interesting info about this topic