• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Escarabajo said:
There is no chance of Valverde doing anything against Froome. None really. He couldn't do anything in the Tour when younger, he is not going to do it now.

Let's cheer Quintana at the Giro. He is in a must win situation now.
I think Valverde would settle for a Tour without bad luck, a stage win, a podium and possibly a maillot jaune (don't think he has ever wearedit). I don't think he's after yellow anymore.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well finally moviestar can get their duck in a row. I don't get this team sometime, they never shot for the star. What's that their goal? a podium?..Duh. Finally, they let Quintana goes for the Giro. He got 100% chance of winning than just a podium. So shoot for the star even if it doesn't happen.

I think the Giro is more exciting this year with lots of contenders. The young, the old, the pure climber, the well round, the GT podium and winner, the up coming star... all kinds of riders. I hope Horner makes it to Lampre and rides Giro. The more the merrier..

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
trevim said:
I think Valverde would settle for a Tour without bad luck, a stage win, a podium and possibly a maillot jaune (don't think he has ever wearedit). I don't think he's after yellow anymore.

He did, in 2008, after his stage win in Plumelec.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Based on what exactly :confused:

6066345-man-hand-met-duim-omhoog-op-een-witte-achtergrond.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Quintana told Reuters TV on Friday that Movistar general manager Eusebio Unzue had convinced him riding the Giro would be an instructive experience and would hone his leadership skills.

"When he told me in the end I was to do the Giro it didn't bother me because it is the perfect style of race for me," Quintana said.

"I feel ready (to be a leader). We are surrounded by some very good colleagues."

About to become a father for the first time, Quintana will be joined by his younger brother Dayer at Movistar this season and will race alongside his more experienced co-leader, Spaniard Alejandro Valverde, in the Tour ofSpain.

"He (Nairo) is a very young rider and to go on the Tour this year would be added pressure for him," Valverde, the 2009 Tour of Spain winner, said.

"I would like to be younger and to have done the Giro but now I am of an age where I am going to try and fight to win the Tour," the 33-year-old added.

"What the bosses have thought best is to remove some of the pressure (on Quintana) because he has many years in front of him to go and win the Tour.

"I think people are making too much of it, more of a controversy than there really is."

Unzue said Movistar could not ask for a better leader for their 2014 Tour de France bid.

"Evaluating Alejandro, looking back at what he has done in the past, I think at the very least it allows Movistar to go to the Tour with a worthy leader," Unzue said.

"I don't know if he is able to win the Tour but he is capable of fighting to be on the podium, for sure."

http://www.supersport.com/cycling/international/news/140131/Quintana_content_to_play_second_fiddle

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
quintana not riding the tour is a disaster for the armchair fans like me that look forward to this more than any other sporting event . im from UK and obviously a froome fan but i would like to see him tested to the max in the biggest race of the year , there is no way on earth valverde can give froome problems in the same way quintana could .

the only way froome loses this race is by falling off the side of the alps !!

shades1 said:
quintana not riding the tour is a disaster for the armchair fans like me that look forward to this more than any other sporting event . im from UK and obviously a froome fan but i would like to see him tested to the max in the biggest race of the year , there is no way on earth valverde can give froome problems in the same way quintana could .

the only way froome loses this race is by falling off the side of the alps !!
I like your point of view.

I have read some posts from Froome supporters suggesting otherwise. How can you be complaisant if one of your main rivals is gone? The victory loses some of its magic IMHO. If I am a Quintana supporter and he is contending for a GT, I would want all potential rivals in the race so that the victory is more "complete".

Just my opinion

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I like your point of view.

I have read some posts from Froome supporters suggesting otherwise. How can you be complaisant if one of your main rivals is gone? The victory loses some of its magic IMHO. If I am a Quintana supporter and he is contending for a GT, I would want all potential rivals in the race so that the victory is more "complete".

Just my opinion

im just a fan of seeing the best sport possible for the main events of the year in all sport , as said above im from UK and a big froome fan but i still want to see him and skyborg tested as hard as possible , thank god froome is far more explosive than bradley wiggins or we would be in for another snooze fest like 2012 .

i just wish it was valverde doing the giro and quintana doing the tour , i just cannot find one good reason for the logic of this choice :confused:

I agree with the best field discussion. At Le Tour, we have Froome, Contador, Nibali. Everyone else is a step below...biggest challenge for Froome just may be Wiggins :).

Giro is a more complete race...With Horner and now Sanchez possibly in the mix, we may see a LOT of riders still in it on week 3. Nairo is a guarantee...for the white jersey. Outside of that, it will be hard for him to drop all other riders that easily. Do I think he will win the whole thing? Of course, this is the Nairo thread, after all. Will it be easy? no way.
Movistar, BMC, OPQS, Sky, Lampre all have LEGIT chances. All will be helping each other control the race. No one wants the pink early...goal is to be close, but not have it. Great for a fan. Hope to see those crazy moves like Vino purposely giving up the pink or Sastre getting on like a 15 minute break LOL.

It’s a decision that also takes into consideration the interests of the sponsors and [Alejandro] Valverde. … I wanted to go to the Tour, but we don’t have a leader for the Italian tour.”

i think we got a new definition for "truth"- the opposite of whatever ryo says :D

balaverde still calling the shots as he should

jens_attacks said:
It’s a decision that also takes into consideration the interests of the sponsors and [Alejandro] Valverde. … I wanted to go to the Tour, but we don’t have a leader for the Italian tour.”

i think we got a new definition for "truth"- the opposite of whatever ryo says :D

balaverde still calling the shots as he should

That decision could be great for the Giro but if Froome dominates the Tour like last year it will be dull and that would make three consecutive wins to Sky and every one decided a long way before the last mountain stage. I think this year's Giro could be a great one with so many good riders competing that have never won a grand tour and then add Evans, Hesjedal and Horner amongst others, there should be plenty of action.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
shades1 said:
im just a fan of seeing the best sport possible for the main events of the year in all sport , as said above im from UK and a big froome fan but i still want to see him and skyborg tested as hard as possible , thank god froome is far more explosive than bradley wiggins or we would be in for another snooze fest like 2012 .

i just wish it was valverde doing the giro and quintana doing the tour , i just cannot find one good reason for the logic of this choice :confused:

they made that choice because quintana wanted to do the giro and vuelta and not the tour. quintana wants to do 2 gt's a year and he likes giro more than tour in genral when it comes to course and he can win 2 gt's now insteaqd of having 50% chance of winning the tour and the dude has just turned 24.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
valverde has nothing to decide. quintana is their leader now and it's fortunate for valverde that quintana wants to do the giro and vuelta, despite unzue who wanted to do him the tour like last year, and obviously not as a helper for valverde.

Ryo Hazuki said:
they made that choice because quintana wanted to do the giro and vuelta and not the tour. quintana wants to do 2 gt's a year and he likes giro more than tour in genral when it comes to course and he can win 2 gt's now insteaqd of having 50% chance of winning the tour and the dude has just turned 24.

lol at Quintana having 50% chance of winning the Tour :D

Hugo Koblet said:
lol at Quintana having 50% chance of winning the Tour :D

This is funnier

Ryo Hazuki said:
valverde has nothing to decide. quintana is their leader now and it's fortunate for valverde that quintana wants to do the giro and vuelta, despite unzue who wanted to do him the tour like last year, and obviously not as a helper for valverde.

"When he told me in the end I was to do the Giro it didn't bother me because it is the perfect style of race for me," Quintana said.
:D

let's leave the delusional posts now

regarding Nairo's schedule this year.
How many races against Froome, Contador, Nibali or Wiggins before Giro?
How about against Horner, Cadel, Uran? I'm wondering where the preview to the 2015 showdown will be. Paris-Nice? Dauphine? Tour de Suisse?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Umm....
Originally posted by Nairo Quintana: “I would have liked to raced the Tour again this year, but the team wants me to go to the Giro,” Quintana said. “The one who pays has the final say.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/news/quintana-i-would-have-preferred-the-tour_315785

TRENDING THREADS