• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I thought everyone knew that drunkensailor was Ryo. He's been making a fool of himself under that name for years, long before the CN forum existed.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
will10 said:
I thought everyone knew that drunkensailor was Ryo. He's been making a fool of himself under that name for years, long before the CN forum existed.

And why is he so aggressive everywhere he shows up? Difficult childhood, harsh wife, difficult job?

I mean, noone can really take pleasure of always holding different opinions than most, of being so rude in general, and therefore continuously getting penalties... Or is he that kind of person? Or just someone who likes irony, sarcasm and is s.th. like a running gag?

Quintana is really impressive. Quite a show he's putting up this year.
However, as I asked this in other post but didn't get an answear, It seem everyone is looking at Movistar and only come up with Valverde and Quintana.

What about Rui Costa? Will he share leader status in minor races with Quintana?
Quintana will second Valverde in GT and Costa on the classics and 7/9 days races?

Valverde wont last forever and it seems to me that he is still a very strong choice for stage wins. But Movistar will have to start thinking in is replacement and have to set the plan. What races will do Quintana, and wich ones will do Costa.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
DHammer said:
However, as I asked this in other post but didn't get an answear, It seem everyone is looking at Movistar and only come up with Valverde and Quintana.

Quintana will second Valverde in GT and Costa on the classics and 7/9 days races?

Valverde wont last forever and it seems to me that he is still a very strong choice for stage wins. But Movistar will have to start thinking in is replacement and have to set the plan. What races will do Quintana, and wich ones will do Costa.

lol, I wouldn't worry about anyone stealing Costa's limelight. He gets more than enough attention on this board.

Costa, Quintana and Valverde is a great attack for the Ardennes though. Should be one of the better Ardennes weeks, although I still expect a lot of waiting in Liege until the Saint Nicolas because of the route change.

Thinking about Movistar for the tour since they want to copy everything sky one might have thought they would use Quintana in a froome role to help the prodigal son. But on the other hand the sponsor - movistar has expanded to Latin America, and is quite big in colombia.

So Quintana could work as a long time leader for movistar behind which they would throw Spanish talent.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2013/04/14/actualidad/1365964292_198447.html

1365964292_198447_1365964390_noticia_normal.jpg

knows himself very well when he's pushing, doesn't need SRM
has a vo2 max of around 90, indurain level
in some races, he pushed 7 w/kg(doesn't say for how long)
sees himself as a future tour winner( wasn't comfortable with the question though so no arrogance involved)

immense talent,hoping he will win a stage in le tour this year

jens_attacks said:
http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/2013/04/14/actualidad/1365964292_198447.html

sees himself as a future tour winner( wasn't comfortable with the question though so no arrogance involved)

I was wondering about the VO2 max greater than 90. Looking at the way he has been riding since last year I am not surprised at all. Measure it again before the Tour and you might get something around Greg Lemond's numbers!

jens_attacks said:

Endless thanks for the link Jens:)

"Yo me conozco. Puedo correr sin SRM y, como mi padre sin tacómetro, calcular cuánta gasolina tengo, hasta dónde puedo llegar”.

"I know myself well- I can ride without SRM-and like mi father's car without gas gauge- I can calculate too how much gas I have & how further can I go"

Ol' School right there folks:) Inspiring story indeed:)

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Obvious talent. Also looks like a nice, modest and polite guy.
The only thing stopping me to become his fan is the team he's currently riding for. However, it's probably the best team for him... The team where he already is very close to the GT leadership.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

Much thanks for the link Jens, and even more thanks for noting the most interesting things he says, hard enough to figure out Google translate.

Quintana is just making me like him more and more, love that he doesn't need a SRM. This guys a real racer, who rides with his heart, not his screen. :D
Also 7 W/kg! :D All I have to say to that...good luck to Sky when Quintana decides to dish out some pain. :cool:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
also eh started cycling quite late. he has lots of improvement still in him. also his younger brother dayer is now riding in spain and racing very well. I'm certain he'll join movistar next year as well. lives and trains with nairo every day now in spain. dayer used to not be very motivated, but that is gone now.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
DHammer said:

That's very good for me, i have money on Costa with 151 odds :D

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
also eh started cycling quite late. he has lots of improvement still in him. also his younger brother dayer is now riding in spain and racing very well. I'm certain he'll join movistar next year as well. lives and trains with nairo every day now in spain. dayer used to not be very motivated, but that is gone now.

when did he start?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think he was 15, when he was a junior in colombia he was already very good, but when he became u23/elite rider at age 18 in colombia he really exploded onto the scene

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I saw it and I was going to post it. You beat me to it. The real problem is that Quintana does not speak English.

why would he need to speak english, you think he cares what 2 american clows say about him?