• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Great performance today,considering only his 3rd race day after a break.
Hard working man,champion in the making.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=74246
New interview with Nairo.
He says races are his best preparations,so I hope he will improve next few days and first days of Vuelta.

And from Neila it looks he has trained explosivness like we hoped.:D
Bring the pain to your Vuelta opponents.:eek:

He always was kind explosive after a long climb right? I mean, you can't win Emilia without having a kick. Or look at his last km at Semnoz.

Still he will have problems with a short steep climb after a relatively flat stage (like the first stage in Burgos), but he's very explosive at steep ramps after a really hard stage.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
He always was kind explosive after a long climb right? I mean, you can't win Emilia without having a kick. Or look at his last km at Semnoz.

Still he will have problems with a short steep climb after a relatively flat stage (like the first stage in Burgos), but he's very explosive at steep ramps after a really hard stage.
Very good point,yeah thats true.Its a pity there are few of those at Vuelta.Im worried about his leadership after first steep ramps,like one poster mentioned in the other thread.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Very good point,yeah thats true.Its a pity there are few of those at Vuelta.Im worried about his leadership after first steep ramps,like one poster mentioned in the other thread.

The good thing is that Quintana is so good on longer climbs, that it's no problem at all to make up that time.

And if you look at this Vuelta, there is no Valdepenas de Jaen or San Lorenzo. There's not one Murito type of climb. San Miguel de Aralar is already 5/6 km, so no problem for Nairo.

The only Murito climb you could point out is Camperona, but that's already at the end of the second week. I think he's glad it's not a Vuelta like the past 3 years, with 2/3 kind of muro's in the first week.

And come on, if Unzue is not a crazy old man, he knows Nairo is going to make Piti cry in the mountains. Big champions decide what the team strategy is due to their legs, look at Alberto back in 2009;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
'ohh that wasnt so hard' :)

article-El-gran-sueno-de-Quintana-el-Tour-de-Francia-5280dc144cf2c.jpg

btw I hate that valverdish victory salute:D

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I raise

Gesink won that race, twice

The way Quintana won that race, is not comparable to Gesink and Ullrich's victories. Quintana rode away due to a explosive attack.

And based on the fact Ullrich won sprints on the flat in the past and attacked on Arcalis back in 97, i wouldn't call him non-explosive.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I love how Quintana always looks so stoic, or even almost solemn or reverent, when he climbs.

In this year's Giro that was a huge contrast with Aru, who was fighting all the time. Aru looked like he was slugging it out with the mountain, with his bike, with himself. Aru has to fight the world to beat a mountain and he won on one occasion, but Quintana just rolls up and the mountain doesn't even put up a fight. It just receives him as it's rightful ruler. The true king of the mountain. :D

Arredondo said:
And based on the fact Ullrich won sprints on the flat in the past and attacked on Arcalis back in 97, i wouldn't call him non-explosive.
On Arcalis he just set a tempo and no one could hold his wheel anymore after a while. And yeah, maybe he had a tiny bit of explosiveness way back when he was 19/20, but that was pretty much gone by the time he won his first Tour... I've seen him lose lots of sprints because he simply couldn't accelerate.

roundabout said:
He won a reasonably sized group sprint in the Vuelta in 1999. Ahead of Olano mind you, but with Rebellin and Vandenbroucke also in that group

Although looking again, he hit the front earlier than I remembered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOQCQ73aj0I#t=387

Yeah I saw that back then, but he doesn't look really explosive there, he's just faster than the rest

On a sidenote, it was either a downhill finish or they must have had a massive tailwind, In the last 500 meters they went almost as fast as the sprint in London at this years Tour.

TRENDING THREADS