• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
why? he gfot ill during the giro or he would've destreopyed it with 15 minutes. quintana won the giro without ever being 100% all he needs to do this vuelta is save energy and not get sick which is easy

Thats why I think he is in better shape than at Giro.I dont believe his comment that he is even worse.He is so motivated that I think onlyone who can maybe beat him is dawg with monstrous tt or Contador in great shape.
Tbh I dont think any of these things are probable.

Vamos por el doble Nairoman!
Btw sad about Arredondo today...

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Thats why I think he is in better shape than at Giro.I dont believe his comment that he is even worse.He is so motivated that I think onlyone who can maybe beat him is dawg with monstrous tt or Contador in great shape.

he has already 1 gt in the bag which means he won't be his top like he could. no rider almost can do 2 gt's at the absolute top, not even nibali or contador

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he has already 1 gt in the bag which means he won't be his top like he could. no rider almost can do 2 gt's at the absolute top, not even nibali or contador

Doesnt mean he wont be The one.;)

Btw if he will be on giro level,I dont think it will be enough on dawg,ac...
Btw 2. what is your expections regarding chavito?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:

I have very high hopes for chaves. don't have any recent news on him but I think he may even make podium

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I have very high hopes for chaves. don't have any recent news on him but I think he may even make podium

Can he ride three weeks without a bad day? He's still young and not used to ride a GT with the full responsibility as a team leader.

But if he's good, he's one of the best around here on the climbs. That's for sure.

And i'm interesting in which riders do you see to make the podium. Nairo, Chaves and?

ILovecycling said:

I noticed Arredondo arrived late today a lost many minutes. Do you know what happened?

Akuryo said:
Pure bullsh*t. He also said he was ill during the Giro and crushed Rigo into pieces a few days later. Then he says that he is out of form, takes Burgos with ease. Don't believe anything coming out of his mouth concerning his form or the shape he's in. :D
I agree that he likes to play with his words, but in the Giro I actually believe that he was sick during the first part. I believe that he would have taken a lot more time if he was 100%. IMHO.

Escarabajo said:
I noticed Arredondo arrived late today a lost many minutes. Do you know what happened?

“Julian [Arredondo] had a bad day, and could not follow on the climb," sports director Adriano Baffi said. " At the end the climb was a bit too hard for most of the guys, and just Bob and Haimar finish in the front peloton. It was again a very hot and hard day.

ILovecycling said:
Bad form imo

In the after stage interview he stated that his original goal was to go for stages. The team and himself wanted to see how hard he could go on the 1st week. He said he tried, but decided today to go for stages.
Serpa, to me at least, is going for a stage soon. He loves to be in a breakway and he has made it so that he won't affect the GC at all. Watch tomorrow's stage for him to be in the break.

ILovecycling said:

I think he never burned all his matches at the Giro. Maybe one at the uphill TT. He has recovered and is in better shape now. He is still the one. I remember Neo falling off a building at first. I think that was Nairo at last year's Vuelta. He is the one! He can even do bike tricks like Sagan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlA4n-krGAA

I know you weren't asking me, but Chavito is proving me wrong so far. He is right up in the front even though his team is going for stages at this point. All positive!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:
I think he never burned all his matches at the Giro. Maybe one at the uphill TT. He has recovered and is in better shape now. He is still the one. I remember Neo falling off a building at first. I think that was Nairo at last year's Vuelta. He is the one! He can even do bike tricks like Sagan:

I know you weren't asking me, but Chavito is proving me wrong so far. He is right up in the front even though his team is going for stages at this point. All positive!

Good post,keep posting.
Thats a very good point about Nairo not going full gas at Giro and I considered it as a big advantage before Vuelta.I think he went really full gas on last 1.5 km of mtt and almost whole Martello.
Hopefully he built his form good for Vuelta!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:

true he never went full anywhere in the giro also because sickness reduced his power except the mountainstage he won and the final km's of the mountain itt.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Aru cracked according to himself the last couple of kms, so I think Quintana just increased his pace slightly and won
Didnt know that :eek:...thats even better for Nairo:D,I hope he will be pretty 'fresh' in 3rd week.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
If affected the whole Time Trial apart from the last few km's?

I always read that as him speeding up after realising that Aru might match him otherwise.

no. quintana knew after firts moutnain check he needed to speed up to still win the timetrial

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
So you agree with my interpretation?

Did you not just say that Quintana sped up because he was not feeling ill anymore during the last few km's?

where did I say he was hampered by illness duyring hsi mountain itt? I said he was hampered all aorund the giro by illness so he never reached his 100% not even at the mountain itt's final part. he was never 100% in form except the first fe3w days where he also detsroyed the ttt

Ryo Hazuki said:
true he never went full anywhere in the giro also because sickness reduced his power except the mountainstage he won and the final km's of the mountain itt.

If you can find the interview with Nairo after Uran wan the first TT, you can see how sick he was. He kept on saying he couldn't breathe and couldn't go the extra step. He said the whole TT was a struggle. He still finished 13th overall, but lost 2 minutes 41 seconds to Uran.
To me, that performance showed how amazing he was. Why? he did an hour TT with a cold, chest pressure, unable to breathe. I did a Triathlon this weekend and my wetsuit was too tight. 20 minutes of hell. Nairo did AN HOUR in hell and still performed amazingly. Uran would have won regardless, but Nairo would have done a lot better. 2nd place was Ulissi, I think, over a minute behind Uran. Nairo could have done close to that

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Declaring him the best climber in the world might have been a tad premature.

He may well the best climber at Movistar although that remains to be seen as well. :p

about nairo, it's best to wait for farrapona and and the third week mainly. he was talking to valverde today and in my opnion he gave him the green light to go for the stage win.

i never expected nairo to win this anyway. if he wins the vuelta, it will be in the third week not now