• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Baltazar said:
So...considering Valverde is now 12 minutes behind, does Quintana now get a free role? I hope so, I really want to see him destroying Sky in the alps...

he already had a free role and was protected. he will now be leader

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Forunculo said:
The worst thing for SKY today isn't Belkin and Saxo duos taking time, it's the free role Nairo has right now.

it's the fact that movistar will now not ride for 2nd place valverde with a steady train for froome to follow. but will wreak havoc in the mountains to set up quintana.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's the fact that movistar will now not ride for 2nd place valverde with a steady train for froome to follow. but will wreak havoc in the mountains to set up quintana.

And thats great!Already looking forward to Ventoux,Nairito fireworks:D

Btw ...Welcome back:cool:

I can see Sky allowing Quintana (5'18" back) to go unchallenged or even to send Froome to work with him (like with Spilak at Tour de Romandie) just to restore Movistar as a challenger for the podium. Helps that Movistar looks like they are p'ed off with Belkin...

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How would Quintana have done just trying to sit on Froome's wheel the whole way?

Was a very strong ride today, he must have done a lot of work on his own.

puffin said:
How would Quintana have done just trying to sit on Froome's wheel the whole way?

This is not the first time he's attacked before the main fireworks started. So by the time Froome got up to him, he'd already been doing work up the road. I was wondering why he even bothered to work with Froome, rather than, indeed, sit on Froome's wheel the whole way up.

puffin said:

It's hard to say what the final result would be, but he definitely had a better chance of staying on Froome's wheel all the way to the summit if he had sat on Froome's wheel all the way.

Aristarchus said:
This is not the first time he's attacked before the main fireworks started. So by the time Froome got up to him, he'd already been doing work up the road. I was wondering why he even bothered to work with Froome, rather than, indeed, sit on Froome's wheel the whole way up.

He had two objectives, moving up in GC and take the stage win.
Froome was at a completely different level.
Too bad for the "little" climber.

Honestly - How sad is to know that Quintana was robbed today the stage victory by an Armstrong alike ..... perhaps it will be given to him in 5 years time, but it won't matter by then......

I know he's targeting Alpe d"huez, but saddly it wont happen while FroomeStrong & Sky remain in the race.......

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Aristarchus said:

yeah i dont understand this at all.According to CN article Froome said him if they get to the finish he will let him win,but then he attacked him twice so wtf:confused:

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mont Ventoux

Well I don't know much about cycling tactics, I'm just a Nairo fangirl, but it just seems to me that Froome got A LOT more help from his teammates (including the amazing Peter Kennaugh - wow!) than Nairo did. And even with my lack of cycling knowledge I groaned when Nairo attacked as early as he did. All I want is for the guy to win a stage, but the strategy doesn't seem to be there. I'd be happy to stand corrected if I'm way off base on this one.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Quintana should hang on with Froome until it is possible to podium instead of these strange early attacks.. Whay doesn't he do this? :confused:

Aristarchus said:

Working with Froome increases his chance of going up the GC (and putting time into Kwaitkowski) plus the likelihood of Froome gifting him the stage if he can match Froome all the way. Wheelsucking Froome would only increase his chance of a stage victory if he can match Froome all the way whilst Froome tries to drop him. The former is probably the better tactical move, especially if it is decided that GC ranking takes precedence over a stage win.

ILovecycling said:
yeah i dont understand this at all.According to CN article Froome said him if they get to the finish he will let him win,but then he attacked him twice so wtf:confused:

According to the post-race interview, Froome claimed that he did not attack Quintana and it was Quintana that faded. Did not look like it to me from what I recall. Froome was probably willing to gift the win to Quintana if Quintana was able to match his pace all the way up, but his priority was to put time into Mollema and Contador so he wasn't going to wait for Quintana to gift the win.

This whole race is like an epic tale

You have the young heroes (Mollema, Ten Dam, Fuglsang, ...) who are forced to work together with the 'old guard' (Contador, Valverde, ...) because the enemy (Team Sky) is much stronger than they could have ever imagined.

One of their greatest hopes (Andy Schleck) has cracked and simply does not have it in him anymore, getting his *** kicked by a mere lackey (Richie Porte) of the evil emperor (Brailsford). Somehow he has devised a way to strengthen his soldiers immensily.
Their old champion (Bradley Wiggins) already beat up many heroes (Nibali, Van den Broeck, ...) last year in his cold, calculating style.

This year, however, the 'old guard' returned as well as the great young warrior from Luxemburg. And so, the emperor gave the single greatest soldier in his army (Chris Froome) unlimited access to their power source, despite his unreliable nature. Once unleashed he killed his commander (Wiggins) and easily toyed with his opponents. Not even with all their powers combined could they touch 'the dawg'. Only one of them (Nibali) managed to trick and surprise him, but it was just a small victory and he could not risk a real confrontation.

And so, now all of the heroes have failed, our hope rests in the hands of the greatest prodigy in years (Nairo Quintana). Can his talents, his tenacity and his skill beat the pure primal rage of the foremost Skyborg or will the cycling world be driven into a new dark age?

Panda Claws said:
This whole race is like an epic tale

You have the young heroes (Mollema, Ten Dam, Fuglsang, ...) who are forced to work together with the 'old guard' (Contador, Valverde, ...) because the enemy (Team Sky) is much stronger than they could have ever imagined.

One of their greatest hopes (Andy Schleck) has cracked and simply does not have it in him anymore, getting his *** kicked by a mere lackey (Richie Porte) of the evil emperor (Brailsford). Somehow he has devised a way to strengthen his soldiers immensily.
Their old champion (Bradley Wiggins) already beat up many heroes (Nibali, Van den Broeck, ...) last year in his cold, calculating style.

This year, however, the 'old guard' returned as well as the great young warrior from Luxemburg. And so, the emperor gave the single greatest soldier in his army (Chris Froome) unlimited access to their power source, despite his unreliable nature. Once unleashed he killed his commander (Wiggins) and easily toyed with his opponents. Not even with all their powers combined could they touch 'the dawg'. Only one of them (Nibali) managed to trick and surprise him, but it was just a small victory and he could not risk a real confrontation.

And so, now all of the heroes have failed, our hope rests in the hands of the greatest prodigy in years (Nairo Quintana). Can his talents, his tenacity and his skill beat the pure primal rage of the foremost Skyborg or will the cycling world be driven into a new dark age?

Quintana has no chance at the tour if Froome continues at this level. Froome is a better climber and much better TTer.

Giro and Vuelta are much better possibilities for Quintana under the new regime.

veganbonnie said:
Well I don't know much about cycling tactics, I'm just a Nairo fangirl, but it just seems to me that Froome got A LOT more help from his teammates (including the amazing Peter Kennaugh - wow!) than Nairo did. And even with my lack of cycling knowledge I groaned when Nairo attacked as early as he did. All I want is for the guy to win a stage, but the strategy doesn't seem to be there. I'd be happy to stand corrected if I'm way off base on this one.

It's not necessarily a bad move. Sometimes it works (see Uran at Giro this year), especially if you are not seen to be a threat and sometimes the contenders end up playing cat and mouse with each other and let you continue building the lead. If Porte and Froome weren't so strong it would have a much better chance of working.

ILovecycling said:

airstream said:
Quintana should hang on with Froome until it is possible to podium instead of these strange early attacks.. Whay doesn't he do this? :confused:

Pricey_sky said:
I think he did however Quintana stopped gaining time in the last 2k's over Contador ect so Froome went again.

Sure- Quintana could have kept on Froome's wheel the entire day it seems.....

1069123_10151723170259530_2066852637_n.jpg