• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hfer07 said:
Whatever..... I reckon Quintana took off earlier while Froome dropped the life out of Contador with that insane 200+RPM acceleration & then kicked twice to drop Quintana on the last K. After the finish line- Froome just clipped off & started giving interviews while Quintana was laying on the floor gasping for air...... So yes- I'm just "insinuating doping".....:rolleyes:

You must have ''missed'' Froome needing to take oxygen too.

auscyclefan94 said:
Quintana believes he'll win the Tour de France within two years

Although he is very talented, this is a very silly comment to make and often back fires when people say such things.

There is difference between someone saying they "will" win and they "can" win. I didn't see anywhere in the article Quintana saying he "will" win. Saying he "can" win implies that he has the capacity to do so. Saying he "will" win is more of a certainty on the part of who is saying it. Being the 2nd best climber and aiming for the number 2 spot on the podium in his first Tour at the age of 23 would indicate to me that he has bit of an upside performance wise to look forward to. I'm quite sure during the course of many Tour contender's career they've indicated to the media that they think that they "can" win the Tour.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I see people handle Quintana like Messiah that was sent from heaven to save some fans from under such an agonizing life under Froome... :) To be equal to Froome in the mountains? That's a long way to go...

TheEnoculator said:
Mollema ain't unknown. He finished 4th in Vuelta just two years ago (leader for one day + winning the points classification) racing against Froome. And he also rode the Tour that same year. He just wasn't expected to be this competitive compared to Contador and Valverde in this Tour.

Quintana was more of an unknown, he was mediocre last year in Vuelta, and this year he was brought in to support Valverde, so Sky is still figuring out how to crack him.

This isn't correct. Quintana was already more of a known threat than Mollema. If you look at Sky's comments about rivals before the Tour, they always mentioned Nairo but never TGBM.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
I see people handle Quintana like Messiah that was sent from heaven to save some fans from under such an agonizing life under Froome... :) To be equal to Froome in the mountains? That's a long way to go...

Well...technically speaking...Quintana is the Colombian messiah. Maybe not to save us from Froome, but he is the Colombain messiah that leads the Colombian renaissance. :D

kinggeitje said:
When people know your are a contender for teh yellow jersey, they will take each and every chance to put you behind in GC. He and mollema were unknowns. So a weak day wasn't punished like they did with valverde. Next year it will.

You apparently missed when Sky management let it be known that they weren't giving Quintana an inch of a gap (or something like at) at the beginning of the race, such is the respect they have for his talent and rightly so.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Well...technically speaking...Quintana is the Colombian messiah. Maybe not to save us from Froome, but he is the Colombain messiah that leads the Colombian renaissance. :D

It's two years since he has announced himself to the Colombian public, and he is still going strong. More importantly, this young man actually has accepted that responsibility of carrying forward the names of legends. Not everyone can perform under pressure. This shows true character.

Froome never comes into picture while looking at the pressure this kid faces off the race.

airstream said:

Good for you. Now you have someone else to root against because it appears to you a significant portion of the forum happens to enjoy his performances, contrary to your own likes and preferences. Do you purposely look for reasons to create drama when there is none?:(

Edit: Can we equally describe your love of Froome as seeing him as some type of Messiah? It's only fair.:p

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Good for you. Now you have someone else to root against because it appears to you a significant portion of the forum happens to enjoy his performances, contrary to your own likes and preferences. Do you purposely look for reasons to create drama when there is none?:(

No, but you probably guess I know about how public opinion on riders is built on here a bit? :)

murali said:
without going to c****c references, i don't think that any one rider can dominate for a long duration.

Over the next couple of seasons, this kid will get more chances to be GC leader of stage races. With more experience, he will become a bit more mature in reading the race to get those crucial stage wins in MTF.

Personally, i think a very good climber with decent TT skills can win the grand tours.

This type of rider can win the Tour of course, but history (last 40 years or so) tells us, that the vast majority of Tours are won by riders with seriously good TT skills who can also climb well.

A favorable parcours can help of course.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Meh, he's easily the 2nd best climber out there already right now. He'll continue improving. Age is in his favour as well.

2 years and he could win Tour, it's far from certain as many things can happen i.e. injuries, bad luck etc. of course.

But if there's a rider that can win the Tour, it's him.

He can get worse. Let's not forget about that. We've seen that before with other riders.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:

You are very conifdent,again...maybe you will be surprised next year how short way it was:p

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
kinggeitje said:
When people know your are a contender for teh yellow jersey, they will take each and every chance to put you behind in GC. He and mollema were unknowns. So a weak day wasn't punished like they did with valverde. Next year it will.

ahha. what a load of bull. froome before teht our already stated quintana as one of his biggest opponents. maybe he was an unknown to you but that says more about you

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Mollema ain't unknown. He finished 4th in Vuelta just two years ago (leader for one day + winning the points classification) racing against Froome. And he also rode the Tour that same year. He just wasn't expected to be this competitive compared to Contador and Valverde in this Tour.

Quintana was more of an unknown, he was mediocre last year in Vuelta, and this year he was brought in to support Valverde, so Sky is still figuring out how to crack him.

I take it you didn't see the vuelta then :rolleyes:

kinggeitje said:

You only have to scroll through this forum to see how known Quintana is. Sky have said all along this season that Quintana is serious competition and there is no way they would be disrespecting Nairo as they are aware how dangerous he can be in the mountains.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
So the fact that I don't dislike Froome but root for Contador and Quintana, that puts me where in your generalized categorization of cn professional racing forumites?

Anyone who doesn't love AS like airstream does is a Contador fan :rolleyes: But at any rate I think here the people (for the most part) love cycling, and love spectacle. Hence the Contador, Quintana, Vino, etc love. We LOVE attacking (unless its inhuman)

Pricey_sky said:
You only have to scroll through this forum to see how known Quintana is. Sky have said all along this season that Quintana is serious competition and there is no way they would be disrespecting Nairo as they are aware how dangerous he can be in the mountains.

It is only because of Quintana that Froome is attacking from 6-8 km out otherwise it would be 1-3 km only.

IndianCyclist said:
It is only because of Quintana that Froome is attacking from 6-8 km out otherwise it would be 1-3 km only.

Yep exactly, Had Froome not attacked so far out on Sunday then Nairo would have won the stage. They are so far ahead of the others on a MTF. Both Froome and Quintana know that they can attack early and wont be caught even if they are very tired come the finish.

TRENDING THREADS