• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
ok, no wheelsucking today. Still, he's progressing at around 30 seconds per MTF. At this pace he needs 8 more, but there are only 4 remaining.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
A bit of a mistake that he didn't follow Aru's move immediately. He decided to chase Aru and Uran about 10 seconds later, which was a big impediment. As soon as he made contact with Uran, Aru was already gone. I'm not saying he was the strongest, but he had a few moments of hesitation.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
yes, because he gave Aru those 20 something seconds out of the kindness of his heart :p

He waited a little bit after the first attack, trying to make Evans work. Cadel couldn't, so he jumped away from him. He bridged, but, when he arrived at Urans wheel, Aru made his decisive move.

Maybe now you know why I wrote this.

Aru was a bit stronger today, but Quintana was racing against Uran and Evans.;)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
A bit of a mistake that he didn't follow Aru's move immediately. He decided to chase Aru and Uran about 10 seconds later, which was a big impediment. As soon as he made contact with Uran, Aru was already gone. I'm not saying he was the strongest, but he had a few moments of hesitation.

A lot of moments,I will watch it again,and let you know how many:D

edit: Okay,I watched it again and he hesitated on attacks of Rolland (2),Aru (1),Duarte (1) and I dont count Uran attack where he imo just didnt have punch.

From biciciclismo
Quintana , more optimistic : " There is still plenty to win the Giro "

Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) stepped Montecampione later , after the third goal unattainable Fabio Aru (Astana ) and Fabio Duarte ( Colombia ) , and now is fifth in the General, Rigoberto Uran 2:40 (Omega Pharma -Quick Step) .

The Colombian could not keep pace Aru in the last five kilometers , but knew regulate and achieve first and then leave behind Uran and his rivals . His balance was positive. "It's the second day we won something in the standings, not enough to recover what I've lost so far , but enough to make me understand and expect to do so in the coming mountain stages ," he said .

" As in Oropa , my plan was to be with the best , then , to see and to take advantage of the situation. Aru was stronger than me, breath and then attacked . There's still plenty to win the Tour , "said Quintana told that collects La Gazzetta dello Sport.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
A lot of moments,I will watch it again,and let you know how many:D

edit: Okay,I watched it again and he hesitated on attacks of Rolland (2),Aru (1),Duarte (1) and I dont count Uran attack where he imo just didnt have punch.

Nice research out there :D His hesitation on the attack of Aru deifinitely cost him a lot. Him relying on Cadel to bridge that gap was a bit wishful thinking, but he tried to save some energy.

I think the reason he is so careful to save every amount of energy, no matter how low, is that he doesn't feel like he's at his best yet. Remember the last year TDF stage which Quintana won. He didn't wait for Froome to close the gap to Purito when he attacked at one point. He immediately jumped on his wheel.

However, I think that Nairito will be close to his best in the third week. I expect him and Aru to make Uran suffer earlier on the climbs. 40" tomorrow, 1' in the MTT, 1' on Zoncolan and that's it. Also there may be some bonus seconds he can take. He's still the favourite in my books.

I think Nairo just didn't expect Aru to ride away quite so strongly yesterday (I mean, who really thought he'd obliterate the rest quite like that?) or he would have chased a bit harder earlier on rather than letting gaps open and then responding. I still think he's got perhaps a little too much to do, but I reckon he'll have a decent gauge on everyone's strengths now and Nairo himself looks like he's getting better with every pedal stroke so there's a definite possibility of him taking it all back. Can't wait to see him really let loose in the next few stages =D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
Nice research out there :D His hesitation on the attack of Aru deifinitely cost him a lot. Him relying on Cadel to bridge that gap was a bit wishful thinking, but he tried to save some energy.

I think the reason he is so careful to save every amount of energy, no matter how low, is that he doesn't feel like he's at his best yet. Remember the last year TDF stage which Quintana won. He didn't wait for Froome to close the gap to Purito when he attacked at one point. He immediately jumped on his wheel.

However, I think that Nairito will be close to his best in the third week. I expect him and Aru to make Uran suffer earlier on the climbs. 40" tomorrow, 1' in the MTT, 1' on Zoncolan and that's it. Also there may be some bonus seconds he can take. He's still the favourite in my books.

Very good post,especially the bolded part.
I think he maybe wants others to go into red and close gaps and then lose time,but thats just a wishful thought:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:

quintana is not and has not been saving hinself anywhere. he's just nowhere near 100% however him on 80-90% can still beat all others here. similar to contador in the first giro he won

TRENDING THREADS