• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Quintana is not riding the Giro any time soon. If you are the sponsor and you have somebody of the caliber of Quintana you will target the Tour no matter what.

Unless it's really true piti wants to win the tour, which is a rumor. And they did it too in 2014

Really happy to see him doing the Vuelta. Interesting to see how he manages back-to-back GT-s. Due to that I hope he has more ambitions there than to just help Valverde.

Don't think he does the Giro again before winning the Tour a two or three of times. Then there will be a chance he starts thinking about his legacy outside the Tour.

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Escarabajo said:
Quintana is not riding the Giro any time soon. If you are the sponsor and you have somebody of the caliber of Quintana you will target the Tour no matter what.

Unless it's really true piti wants to win the tour, which is a rumor. And they did it too in 2014
You can't compare 2014 with 2016. 2014 quintana was only a guy who had one great tour and some other good race results. At the beginning of that season we didnt know if he will always be on that level from there on or if that was just one lucky tour. 2016 quintana is a giro winner, 2 times second in the tdf and only one who was near froome and who knows what will happen in the vuelta.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Were you watching cycling before 2013? Quintana had such a big hype, and not only ryo said it and his results priot it indicated that too.

It was extremely unlikely he was a onetrick pony besides in 1 GT he already proved more than piti ever did in the tour.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Were you watching cycling before 2013? Quintana had such a big hype, and not only ryo said it and his results priot it indicated that too.

It was extremely unlikely he was a onetrick pony besides in 1 GT he already proved more than piti ever did in the tour.
Its true to a certain degree, as they can never be 100% sure that rider will be that big deal after 1,5 GT's and few mountain stage wins.But I understand you, it was very unlikely(the one trick pony case)

Personally I dont know what to think about stupid Movistar anymore, so I wouldnt be surprised if Valverde will be leader next year with Nairo riding Giro (in contrary I would be satisfied with this combo) ;)

Second criterium for Nairo? Is these things pre decided or some ***?

Anyways, good to see him riding the Vuelta. If at 100% (or close to), he will tear it apart in Andorra or more probable and later in the race, on Cobertoria and Alba. 2 superb stages - cant wait!

Re:

Miburo said:

It doesnt matter if someone is a hyped rider or not. Quintana was extremely young back then so it wasnt possible to say if he will always be on that level from 2013 on. I'm not saying I expected him to be a onetrick pony, but with 23 years its possible that you are great in one year, worse the next one but great again another year later. Take Pinot as an example. He was 10th in the tour 2012, he didnt finish 2013 after he lost too much time because he was afraid of descents (I don't think something like that would happen to a rider who already races for 10 years), then he was 3rd in 2014 and in 2015 he fell back to 16th place again. Or what about TJVG? 5 - 45 - 5, from 2012 to 2014. It was definitely possible that after 2013 quintana also would have a bad year, no matter if he was hyped or not. So they sent him to the giro and let valverde one last chance to ride the tdf as a leader.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Second criterium for Nairo? Is these things pre decided or some ****?

Anyways, good to see him riding the Vuelta. If at 100% (or close to), he will tear it apart in Andorra or more probable and later in the race, on Cobertoria and Alba. 2 superb stages - cant wait!

yeah its kind of like two wrestlers setting up a table under a 16ft ladder and both climbing it.....

[youtube]AG590n1mTzg[/youtube]

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you guys had a look at Vuelta odds?
Seems crazy to me that Nairo is the biggest favourite and his odds are that short as 3.50.I dont think its too much influenced from people yet, I doubt there are big volumes bets on vuelta (still weeks away).The only thing that I probably found out that I'm missing some information. ;)
If you have any articles about Quintana declaring anything about vuelta, please post it, but I havent seen anything

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re:

ILovecycling said:
Seems crazy to me that Nairo is the biggest favourite and his odds are that short as 3.50.I dont think its too much influenced from people yet, I doubt there are big volumes bets on vuelta (still weeks away).The only thing that I probably found out that I'm missing some information. ;)
If you have any articles about Quintana declaring anything about vuelta, please post it, but I havent seen anything
I have read 2 or 3 articles saying that Quintana will ride the Vuelta as "joint" leader with Valverde.

I hope to see a more courageous Nairo, he has quality to enjoy people. Maybe he needs to learn form Contador and Nibali and then he will be finally a legend ;) . Unzue ( when he'' leaded'' Indurain) and Valverde unfortunately aren't the right teachers :(

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
I hope to see a more courageous Nairo, he has quality to enjoy (you mean entertain? :) ) people. Maybe he needs to learn form Contador and Nibali and then he will be finally a legend ;) . Unzue ( when he'' leaded'' Indurain) and Valverde unfortunately aren't the right teachers :(
!!!epic post imo!!!, really I cant describe my thoughts torwards Nairo and Unzue ANY better.

I still dont think he will be ever as entertaining as Alberto (and Nibali) tho

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
he won't win another gt until contador retire. froome beat him without time trials so he won't win le tour until froome past his best

Not necessarily. He's showed he can match or beat Froome before. With a little more courage and not being hampered down by Movistar's podium goals, he can beat him.

fungusbear said:
ILovecycling said:
I have read 2 or 3 articles saying that Quintana will ride the Vuelta as "joint" leader with Valverde.
The only thing that we know is what comes out of the mouth of these riders. It has been clear that Quintana will ride in support of Valverde. Whether that is truth or not is another thing. In fact we all know that so many things can happen, like crashes, loss of time in cross winds (Tour 2013), illness, etc. So bottom line we don't know anything until they start racing.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Afrank said:
portugal11 said:
he won't win another gt until contador retire. froome beat him without time trials so he won't win le tour until froome past his best

Not necessarily. He's showed he can match or beat Froome before. With a little more courage and not being hampered down by Movistar's podium goals, he can beat him.

Could you point me where was exactly the case when he suffered because of Movistar tactics?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Afrank said:
portugal11 said:

Could you point me where was exactly the case when he suffered because of Movistar tactics?

La Toussuire

TRENDING THREADS