• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
damian13ster said:
Because Rio has different meaning than a single stage at Vuelta.

In the situation you mentioned, Kwiatkowski, Valverde and Rodriguez will work together for 2km to get Quintana since they know they will outsprint others anyway, and then still have time to recover once everything comes together
It was only an example. There are many race situations in which I doubt there would be anyone who wants to work. Lets say there are only climbers left and not one single good sprinter, and Uran is with them. Do you think anyone would like to work and give Uran while Uran can rest?
Moreover I'm not sure if they could catch Quintana that easily. Okay Kwiat is a good TT'er but the others? Ofc if they would work together perfectly they would catch him but 2 k's aren't a lot.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
So Quintana is not a good descender and is not an attacking rider. Your memory of 2015 Tour is clouding people's minds. Not to say that he did attacked. Maybe at the wrong tomes but he did. Other than that he has been an attacking rider throughout his career.

You should learn there are many myths on Cycling News which are recited on a daily basis - Yet when you provide evidence to the contrary, they become quiet,until the next person recites a myth.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
damian13ster said:
Taxus4a said:
Rio is for people as Quintana, Valverde, Purito, Nibali, Contador, Urán, Dan Martin, even Froome or Landa.

Quintana can win, but he is not the main favourite. especially for the final flat.

Quintana has been with the best in Lombardia when he was really young, better than Contador.

There is no way that those 3 that I bolded do not finish above Quintana if they are in semi-decent shape. I would also put Uran, Dan Martin, and Froome (big question mark though when it comes to handling distances well) ahead of him. Not sure about Contador (same questions as Froome)

Of course there is a way. Quintana is the best climber of the world and the climb is hard, so he can drop everybody in the climb. I think there are people more favorites, but there is a way, of course.
If my country work rogether for a lider would be different, but it is difficult to see Contador or Purito working for Valverde. Dani Moreno or Landa yes, but someone must work in the flat.

Quintana is the best climber in the world? I'm sure you said Froome was the best climber?
Or did you say Purito? or was it Cav I can't remember :D

So are you definitely saying Quintana is the best climber?

Re:

jens_attacks said:
people shouldn't forget that it will be a one day race, so guys like froome,quintana and contador will be lesser favourites than nibali, valverde or purito.

exactly, where Contador, Quintana and Froome finished in 2013 in Firenze which was fairly simillar like Rio
only difference will be number of supporters and since 2013 some things changed but not so much anyway

bassano said:
jens_attacks said:
people shouldn't forget that it will be a one day race, so guys like froome,quintana and contador will be lesser favourites than nibali, valverde or purito.

exactly, where Contador, Quintana and Froome finished in 2013 in Firenze which was fairly simillar like Rio
only difference will be number of supporters and since 2013 some things changed but not so much anyway

I wouldnt be so sure of that, the date of the race (early/mid August) compared to late September is a huge difference and since Froome, Quintana and Contador all have the Tour as their big goal, they will all somewhat be in shape compared to 2013 where neither really was

http://www.ciclo21.com/nairo-quinta...rvador/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No podemos ir dejándonos las fuerzas allá donde nos apetezca. Hay que calcular bien para ser lo más efectivo posible. Es una de esas cosas que he ido aprendiendo y, seguramente, algo que podremos ver todavía más de ahora en adelante: un Nairo más conservador. Entiendo que a la gente le gusta que haya muchos ataques, pero las fuerzas no siempre son las mismas.

*Insert mindblown GIF here*
:eek: :eek:

Eshnar said:
http://www.ciclo21.com/nairo-quinta...rvador/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No podemos ir dejándonos las fuerzas allá donde nos apetezca. Hay que calcular bien para ser lo más efectivo posible. Es una de esas cosas que he ido aprendiendo y, seguramente, algo que podremos ver todavía más de ahora en adelante: un Nairo más conservador. Entiendo que a la gente le gusta que haya muchos ataques, pero las fuerzas no siempre son las mismas.

Not nice :))
Also, he can't beat Froome if he's "conservador"...

I don't want to defend Nairo but I want to take this opportunity to talk about the third person meaning. I learned that it was bad in the USA. In Colombia people do not see that way. In fact recently in a conversation I talked about the third person and everyone was lost. then I explained to everyone that it was seen as bad in the Angle Saxon world. Maybe somebody can shed some light about the cultural difference.

Thanks.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I don't want to defend Nairo but I want to take this opportunity to talk about the third person meaning. I learned that it was bad in the USA. In Colombia people do not see that way. In fact recently in a conversation I talked about the third person and everyone was lost. then I explained to everyone that it was seen as bad in the Angle Saxon world. Maybe somebody can shed some light about the cultural difference.

Thanks.

Apparently royalty used to refer to themselves in third person. Now it makes everyone doing that seem like a stuck up snob.

Re:

Escarabajo said:

Thanks.
I guess in all Latin languages it is not seen in a bad way. In Italy it's the same.

damian13ster said:
Escarabajo said:

Thanks.

Apparently royalty used to refer to themselves in third person. Now it makes everyone doing that seem like a stuck up snob.

It's less that it appears snobbish and more that it's seen as a sign of arrogance or even insane megalomania. I wonder if this is so in other related languages, like German or Dutch? It's interesting to discover that it doesn't come across the same way in Spanish or Italian.

pink_jersey said:
Eshnar said:

Not nice :))
Also, he can't beat Froome if he's "conservador"...

Oh Pleaseee!!!!! :rolleyes: the "translation" issue again :mad:

He was asked about his evolution as a rider that used to attack from afar-many times at the foot of the climb and nowadays he seems more conservative- which he responds there isn't about using his energy as he may like, but is better off to calculate well the efforts in order to be more "effective"- he therefore sees himself to ride "more conservative" as far as aiming his strength to fewer but more effective attacks - that's all.

hfer07 said:
Oh Pleaseee!!!!! :rolleyes: the "translation" issue again :mad:

He was asked about his evolution as a rider that used to attack from afar-many times at the foot of the climb and nowadays he seems more conservative- which he responds there isn't about using his energy as he may like, but is better off to calculate well the efforts in order to be more "effective"- he therefore sees himself to ride "more conservative" as far as aiming his strength to fewer but more effective attacks - that's all.
I see no translation issue. The fact that a guy like Quintana says something like that is quite depressing. And yes, this year already showed that he can't beat Froome riding like that.

I agree with Eshnar, there is no translation issue. Nairo clearly puts emphasis on being even more conservative in the future.
Regarding the 3rd person, it's not the most common way to refer to himself but doesn't convey arrogance.

TRENDING THREADS