• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ok, I rewatched ITV footage. Shortly before crash Quintana is on the third position behind Yates and Aru. Then Aru seemed to lose Yates wheel marginally and Quintana did a move to be in front of Aru and wanted to bridge this. This is the last moment of this trio. Then we have Valverde being dropped and he catched chasing group at the point of crash.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
I imagine they're filing it under "It was a huge mess all around, let's move on" and want to forget about it to avoid further controversies, also because a case can be made (and is being made by many) that Quintana could have benefitted from a different but perfectly fair decision yesterday regarding Froome. But surely they need to at least address the video?

Very strongly agree. The last thing they will want to do is start penalising one of the riders for something in a mess they had to sort out by re-writing the whole stage finish.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
LeSensei said:
He is a great climber; so was Lucho Herrera, who never won the Tour even though he was far more agressive. Quintana really needs to step up his game, not by "preparing specifically for Froome's attacks" which wasn't really useful today. He needs a different mentality. Froome today crashed and would have ran the entire Ventoux up by foot if necessary to try keep his maillot jaune. Quintana needs to tell himself "I'm going to do whatever it takes to win this Tour", and do it.
Herrera never had a chance in the Tour. He was always very far back. He could only managed to get close once in 1986 and then boom! he faded away.

If you are usually very far back you can be more aggressive.

Go back to 1988. Herrera was considered the #1 favorite going in because of his improvement on flats and TTs. Actually gained time on flats, and lost minimal time in first flat TT. When the mountains hit, he couldn't hold Steve Bauer's wheel.

I can understand people going "It was an extraordinary situation and a cluster****, wouldn't have happened without the incident so let's move on". I can also understand others saying "The video isn't conclusive, I think he's actually balancing himself/making sure he doesn't crash into the motorbike".

What I don't understand is "He's guilty but I hope they turn a blind eye because he's too important".

Re:

Ricco' said:
Don't be so harsh on Quintana.

In the absence of Froome's wheel, let him grab the neareast wheel available. Even more, that motorbike was yellow.

If anyone is going to get a penalty it should be Aru for all those sticky bottles and "problems" with his saddle.
Froome ran without a bike, should also get a penalty. Now, I'm not being biased on the Quintana forum, but objectively, you can clearly see that Nairo was PUSHING the motorcycle up so he wouldn't hit it. He was thinking of the motorcycle riders and helped them. Respect

Re:

TomekA said:
Ok, I rewatched ITV footage. Shortly before crash Quintana is on the third position behind Yates and Aru. Then Aru seemed to lose Yates wheel marginally and Quintana did a move to be in front of Aru and wanted to bridge this. This is the last moment of this trio. Then we have Valverde being dropped and he catched chasing group at the point of crash.
I saw the same thing after rewatching it. Nairo got his "aliento" back and started pushing. When I watched it live, I thought he was way behind and if the mountain had the 6km left, I thought he would have lost minutes. After rewatching it, he was finally composed and was leading the chasers. Then the crash happened. Nairo weighs, I'm guessing, 105 lbs or something. The motorcycle in front of him has to be at least 400lbs with the two riders on top. He lost so much power pushing himself and pushing that motorcycle and he only lost like 15"-20" to Aru before they re-adjusted the times, so I feel better about the rest of the tour

gospina said:
Ricco' said:

In the absence of Froome's wheel, let him grab the neareast wheel available. Even more, that motorbike was yellow.
Now, I'm not being biased on the Quintana forum, but objectively, you can clearly see that Nairo was PUSHING the motorcycle up so he wouldn't hit it. He was thinking of the motorcycle riders and helped them. Respect

Dude are you kidding me? Are watching the same video?
http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/tour-francia/2016/07/15/5788bbf4468aebbc138b45a8.html

I can clearly see that he grabs the motorbike and holds on it FFS!

Does that happens all the times? Yes it does, but when you get caught like that with video evidence you should get punished.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
The entire stage was a joke - the fairest thing would be to throw Quintana, Aru, and Froome out of the race.

I think Porte should go. He looks like he is going to headbutt someone with that riding style. We have video evidence from yesterday that he did that to the camera guy. Didn't Yates recently develop ashtma? he seems fine to me, he should go as well. From this point on, in my mind, it is:
Bauke Mollema 1st
Romain Bardet 2nd, 19" back
Alejandro Valverde 3rd, 43" back
TJVG 4th, 48" back
Daniel Martin 5th, 1' back
Purito 6th, 1'15" back.

dfromdub said:
gospina said:
Ricco' said:

Now, I'm not being biased on the Quintana forum, but objectively, you can clearly see that Nairo was PUSHING the motorcycle up so he wouldn't hit it. He was thinking of the motorcycle riders and helped them. Respect

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/tour-francia/2016/07/15/5788bbf4468aebbc138b45a8.html

Does that happens all the times? Yes it does, but when you get caught like that with video evidence you should get punished.

As a self-proclaimed expert in analyzing videos I only watch for about 30", You can see his bicep flex. This means he was pushing the motorcycle and trying to lift it to the side so it wouldn't hit a clown running with a yellow jersey. Nairo probably thought it was a colombian fan wearing a Falcao jersey but it was actually Chris Froome.

May 26, 2012
Visit site

gospina said:
dfromdub said:
gospina said:
Ricco' said:

As a self-proclaimed expert in analyzing videos I only watch for about 30", You can see his bicep flex. This means he was pushing the motorcycle and trying to lift it to the side so it wouldn't hit a clown running with a yellow jersey. Nairo probably thought it was a colombian fan wearing a Falcao jersey but it was actually Chris Froome.

Stop it. This is pathetic. I doubt jury will do anything about it even when it is clear he cheated so let's move on.

I don't understand how can he has any fans...Nairo proves many times now that he has no honor whatsoever. But I guess he is so boring on bike that he has to create drama some other way...

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

dfromdub said:
gospina said:
Ricco' said:

Well, I thought it was funny anyway - a bit like Nibbles giving that team car a push up the hill last year.

PatrickLeeds said:
dfromdub said:
gospina said:
Ricco' said:

Well, I thought it was funny anyway - a bit like Nibbles giving that team car a push up the hill last year.

There is hope yet! I thought no one got my reference :)

Re:

hrotha said:
I can understand people going "It was an extraordinary situation and a cluster****, wouldn't have happened without the incident so let's move on". I can also understand others saying "The video isn't conclusive, I think he's actually balancing himself/making sure he doesn't crash into the motorbike".

What I don't understand is "He's guilty but I hope they turn a blind eye because he's too important".
The first two are the reasons why he shouldn't be punished, IMHO.
The last is the reason why he probably won't be. C'est la vie.
gospina said:
There are plenty of people here who think Quintana would do well in the flats if he only had the right mentality, that Contador has been the best Tour de France rider over the last six years he's just been unlucky, that attacking into the wind is a good tactic even when you don't drop anyone relevant, and who generally have anime-like grasp of basic physics and biology. No way you were getting around Poe's law on that one.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

carton said:
hrotha said:

The first two are the reasons why he shouldn't be punished, IMHO.
The last is the reason why he probably won't be. C'est la vie.
gospina said:
There are plenty of people here who think Quintana would do well in the flats if he only had the right mentality, that Contador has been the best Tour de France rider over the last six years he's just been unlucky, that attacking into the wind is a good tactic even when you don't drop anyone relevant, and who generally have anime-like grasp of basic physics and biology. No way you were getting around Poe's law on that one.

Now this might seem a bit crazy but to be the best TDF rider over the last six years don't you have to at least won one? :razz:

You can make an argument for best Gt rider sure, but not best TDF rider. This is clearly nonsense, sorry.

Edit: Im an idiot, please ignore.

gospina said:
dfromdub said:
gospina said:
Ricco' said:

Another missed opportunity to attack Froome

TRENDING THREADS