• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not bad time trial to be honest, at the level of Van Garderen, Porte and Valverde in highly unfavorable circumstances. Better than Bardet and Aru.
He lost a lot of time only to Froome and Mollema from all GC contenders. Of course he is 3 minutes down to Froome, but he should be again second in GC in Paris.

Re:

TomekA said:
Not bad time trial to be honest, at the level of Van Garderen, Porte and Valverde in highly unfavorable circumstances. Better than Bardet and Aru.
He lost a lot of time only to Froome and Mollema from all GC contenders. Of course he is 3 minutes down to Froome, but he should be again second in GC in Paris.
Completely agree. That was a good performance, especially for a guy of his size and considering he kind of cracked yesterday. I think he'll finish second as well and there's no shame in that really if Froome is going to maintain this kind of form over three weeks. It's like Ullrich against Lance. An excellent rider in his own right, but just up against someone who is pretty much unbeatable.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I hope Movistar have a plan for the 3rd week. Otherwise I don't understand why they never try something, it's always the same waiting game. Valverde himself must be quite pissed about this. They never pressure SKY or make an alliance with other teams. This way you cannot win the Tour.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
lenric said:
I doubt Quintana could beat Andy Schleck.

Nairo is more well rounded than Andy. I'd say their peak climbing is very close, Andy was also relatively weak after hard, windy and cold stages, see 2011 Pyrenees. Andy would lose quite a chunk today, its very similar to the ITT where he lost the Tour in 2011. Remains to be seen how much Quintana will lose.

Schleck was more consistent over the 3 weeks than Quintana. And he could respond (not a certainty, just my opinion now) to Froome's full genius attacks better than the colombian, since he did that with Contador.

However, the biggest difference between them is that Andy was never afraid to attack. Quintana is just too cautious, which ultimately could be his sin yet again this year.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Suppose the unthinkable happens and Quintana proves incapable of dropping Froome throughout the Tour. It would mean he is facing a superhuman foe whose power, power to weight, power to aero coefficent, anaerobic ability and sprint surpasses his own.

gg no re.

:p

Can't beat Froomstrong

SeriousSam said:
SeriousSam said:
Suppose the unthinkable happens and Quintana proves incapable of dropping Froome throughout the Tour. It would mean he is facing a superhuman foe whose power, power to weight, power to aero coefficent, anaerobic ability and sprint surpasses his own.

gg no re.

:p

Can't beat Froomstrong
Time's undefeated. Maybe it'll end up being Lopez, or Latour who topples Froome, but I do think if he learns the right lessons, Nairo might get enough rematches to pull it off. Next week will be telling. But let's see what happens Sunday first.

Sunday looks like the best day to try to upset the race status quo. There is an easy stage on Monday and then the rest day. Valverde and Quintana need to force the penultimate climb and isolate Froome. They also need a strong guy like Izaguirre in the break who can drop back and drive the pace until the final climb. What we observed during Froome's Ventoux meltdown is that he can sometimes make weird decisions under pressure. If he is alone with Valverde, Porte, Quintana, Mollema, and Yates, maybe he burns himself out following every attack and loses a big chunk of time. Unlikely to happen of course.

DFA123 said:
TomekA said:
Completely agree. That was a good performance, especially for a guy of his size and considering he kind of cracked yesterday. I think he'll finish second as well and there's no shame in that really if Froome is going to maintain this kind of form over three weeks. It's like Ullrich against Lance. An excellent rider in his own right, but just up against someone who is pretty much unbeatable.

Froome has raced smart and taken his opportunities. Quintana has sat in the pack and waited for Froome to have a bad day. His TT was not bad on a very hard course. Everyone struggled except Froome and Mollema but he is now further behind and Froome really has not needed to attack much to get where he is. No big attacks in the mountains at all. I would say that Froome is surprised by Quintana's defensive riding. Even Mollema is looking better than Quintana on the climbs. Not many MTFs left and one TT which Froome will do well in anyway.

Pippo_San said:
Massively overrated (still recall the Giro he almost lost to freaking Uran) and a wheelsucker.
Add to that he's become the blatant cheat.

A disgrace.
LOL. Well, mild chuckle. I'm at work.

Your username reffers to Pozzato, your avatar is Wiggins, and you're going to hurl "cheat" and "wheelsucker" around?

Thin, thin glass houses, my man.

I don't think that Quintana somehow failed today because time loss in winds like this was expected even before the race started. There is nothing he can do about his length. It isn't over yet by any means. There are very tough mountain stages to come and I am sure that he will try to do something if he has the legs.

Gotta say Quintana performed superbly, considering the wind conditions & his current shape - although it wasn't enough to limit the damage considerably, it may indicate he can have a chance to recover a bit tomorrow for the Sunday stage. At this point, his chances of winning the Tour are close to none, BUT the race finishes in Paris, and anything can happen until then, as we noticed on Mont Ventoux.

hfer07 said:
Gotta say Quintana performed superbly, considering the wind conditions & his current shape - although it wasn't enough to limit the damage considerably, it may indicate he can have a chance to recover a bit tomorrow for the Sunday stage. At this point, his chances of winning the Tour are close to none, BUT the race finishes in Paris, and anything can happen until then, as we noticed on Mont Ventoux.

Based on his performances in 2013 and especially 2015 I'd say that his chances are definitely better than zero. Third week is definitely harder than it was in 2015 and I think that Quintana will definitely bounce back. I think Quintana is struggling because of the crosswinds which make him suffer more than Froome - this was definitely the case today.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Quintana was lucky the Ventoux was not a MTF and that the Crash messed everything up... He was standing to lose a huge chunk of time to Froome otherwise on the upper slopes.. would of been game over already..

Re:

3wheeler said:
Quintana was lucky the Ventoux was not a MTF and that the Crash messed everything up... He was standing to lose a huge chunk of time to Froome otherwise on the upper slopes.. would of been game over already..

Well Quintana was unlucky on that day because Movistar let the opportunity slip. Sometimes I wonder if Movistar wants to win or not.
When Froome stopped to wait for Stannard why didn't Movistar DS tell them to keep going. Why did they stop? They didn't have to. I'm sure that if ds would've said "guys, let's keep riding" then Movistar riders would've kept riding. They could've taken possibly taken 1-2 minutes from Froome before Ventoux. But they didn't use it.

TRENDING THREADS