• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 309 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

I think with Nairo the problem is his peaks are nowhere near where they used to be. His base level has become insanely high, which is why he is able to win a lot of build-up races early in the season, but he doesn't get much better than that anymore. As soon as the big races start, the others, who were weaker (so to say) initially, surpass him. I disagree with the earlier mentioned Blockhaus as well, it wasn't too convincing. He might have won, but it wasn't *that* Nairo that nearly won the Tour de France simply be outclimbing everyone.

I feel like a change of scenery would do him well. Maybe Vino will be able to get him on the right track again, because I don't believe you go from best climber of the peloton, to just another above average climber in a span of two to three years, when you're in your late 20's.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
I think with Nairo the problem is his peaks are nowhere near where they used to be. His base level has become insanely high, which is why he is able to win a lot of build-up races early in the season, but he doesn't get much better than that anymore. As soon as the big races start, the others, who were weaker (so to say) initially, surpass him. I disagree with the earlier mentioned Blockhaus as well, it wasn't too convincing. He might have won, but it wasn't *that* Nairo that nearly won the Tour de France simply be outclimbing everyone.

I feel like a change of scenery would do him well. Maybe Vino will be able to get him on the right track again, because I don't believe you go from best climber of the peloton, to just another above average climber in a span of two to three years, when you're in your late 20's.
I agree. Blockhaus is remembered as a dominant climbing performance because he blew Pinot and Nibali off his wheel pretty early. But in the end he didn't really gain that much on Dumoulin and Pinot who in theory shouldn't be his caliber of climber. He was good but not the Quintana from 2013 to 2015 who regularly climbed on a different level than every other gc rider. Remember him gaining minutes on other great climbers on the stelvio stage in 2014 despite climbing the whole last climb on his own? Or him gaining a minute on Froome on the alpe in 2015? Nothing he has done the last two seasons was quite as impressive.

If he can shed some pounds between now and Tuesday he will be flying on Tuesday and Wednesday. (sarcasm). Obviously I don't think that is going to happen. Pyrenees are usually very hot. That will affect him further more under his actual circumstances.

He will miss this opportunity in the future!

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
In my opinion he looked relatively good today. He was able to stay with the main GC contenders on the steeper part of the climb without leaving any gaps, but wasn't able to hold the wheel of more powerful riders when it evened out in the end.

Yeah he looked a bit better but relatively good won't win the race or probably make the podium. The first four are clearly stronger than everyone else at the moment. One of them will have to crack badly to let others back in now as all four have a good TT.

I think if NQ attacks, it's gotta be on that first climb to try and stay away. If he goes on the last climb, he won't be able to stay away as the rest of the GC will be looking to get something from the stage. I would like to see him succeed somehow in this race just to give his confidence a boost as he hasn't lived up to expectation (in his own and his fans mind) for a while now.

TRENDING THREADS