• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 312 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

dacooley said:
I may be wrong and it sounds like a conclusion made in hindsight, but this tour is a rare example when a peak would better be planned for second rather than third week. although, nairo delivered another monumental ride, some build-up mistakes have been made once again.
Yeah the form has been badly managed once again. With this form in week 2 and 3, and without the day 1 disaster, he'd have battled for the win.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
dacooley said:
I may be wrong and it sounds like a conclusion made in hindsight, but this tour is a rare example when a peak would better be planned for second rather than third week. although, nairo delivered another monumental ride, some build-up mistakes have been made once again.
Yeah the form has been badly managed once again. With this form in week 2 and 3, and without the day 1 disaster, he'd have battled for the win.
stages like yesterday's constantly cause an idea of "damn, if only he could spread this kind of effort for all of big mountain stages, then...", but in reality it seems completely impossible.

Koronin said:
SafeBet said:
Lol @ who thinks he was let go. Nobody could beat him yesterday. Check his time and his power estimate, it's probably his best performance ever. If he's got these watts tomorrow he needs to go early, all of the riders ahead of him in GC can crack.

Tomorrow is a flat stage with two small cat 4 climbs.
I don't know where you live, but tomorrow is Friday in France.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Lol @ who thinks he was let go. Nobody could beat him yesterday. Check his time and his power estimate, it's probably his best performance ever. If he's got these watts tomorrow he needs to go early, all of the riders ahead of him in GC can crack.
In the Move, Lance said the Nairo broke the record for the first 8 kilometers which used to be the old climb before the extension. He was flying yesterday.

Escarabajo said:
SafeBet said:
In the Move, Lance said the Nairo broke the record for the first 8 kilometers which used to be the old climb before the extension. He was flying yesterday.
No chance in hell for that.

Hope he is OK for the remaining stages.

Nairo-Quintana-caida1%20%20%20720.jpg

He says that he should be Ok but didn't look that good. Yesterday he had problems shifting because of the first crash.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/25897-tour-de-francia-es-lamentable-haber-sufrido-esta-caida-nairo-quintana.html

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
If weight(~2 kg heavier) was the issue then the team could have easily caught it at the TOS and corrected it by the TDF. Anyway weight is something that would be monitored throughout the season, The team would tell him if something was off with his weight
I think it was more than that at the beginning of the Tour. And this fact has different implications, from diet problems to lack of miles to other issues. But you would think that a professional team like Movistar will get his power files and weight numbers on a weekly basis. And correct as they go. Do more miles or less miles. Eat more of that and less of that.

This morning in a bike ride with my group of Colombian friends, two of them competed, one professionally, we could all agree how heavy he showed up for the Tour. For a mountain goat of his size is a death sentence. Now he could endure and withstand the flat stages and the pave a lot better. But that will never compensate for the loss of recovery and watts in hot days in the mountains. Now when is short and cooler that's not a problem. In short races at the beginning of the year that is not a problem. That is probably what is fooling him.

But hey, speculating here and hoping that he recovers from his crash and be better for the Vuelta. :)

I hope he is fit for La Vuelta for the sake of competition. And by fit I mean have lost some weight. Is a short time, I know but I don't lose hope.

There was a Vuelta that started with very hot weather and he suffered so much. He is becoming too dependent on weather conditions. :(

Rollthedice said:
Escarabajo said:
I hope he is fit for La Vuelta for the sake of competition. And by fit I mean have lost some weight. Is a short time, I know but I don't lose hope.

There was a Vuelta that started with very hot weather and he suffered so much. He is becoming too dependent on weather conditions. :(

You mean Nairo was getting fat lately?
In my opinion yes.

To make things worse he usually suffers from the intense heat. That didn't help him at the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS