• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 327 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
I liked the piece on CN about Quintana (Philippa York?) and how uncomfortable it must be to have to prove and earn being a leader in your own team before projecting to being the boss on the road. Movistar is not working for him, methinks.

As for Valverde, one of the next two could be his, if ridden hard.

I think they're working for both, him and Landa, for now.., but I also think they would rather work for Landa.

Re:

Sestriere said:
I'm sure that's the reason why Valverde did not win the stage.
giphy.gif

Blanco said:
Tonton said:
I liked the piece on CN about Quintana (Philippa York?) and how uncomfortable it must be to have to prove and earn being a leader in your own team before projecting to being the boss on the road. Movistar is not working for him, methinks.

I think they're working for both, him and Landa, for now.., but I also think they would rather work for Landa.

I think you're right.

Tonton said:

You conclude this why?
I thought it was clear that they were working for him and Landa.

Obviously Quintana remembers 2015 all too well and won’t be caught out by the wind again. Say what you will about riding at the front and being attentive, but he looked as if he knew the wind was going to be a factor in this stage.

There’s still a lot of Tour left and his final prep race only raised more questions about his form, but he is looking good so far. He will be about 3 minutes from GT after the ITT, but GT is not Froome (and neither is Egan at this stage in his career). If, and I know this is a huge and unlikely ‘if’, he can recapture his 2015 form, he has a chance to make it interesting.

Re: Re:

del1962 said:
Escarabajo said:
Scarponi said:
Impressed by big Quints today
This.

I don't see Tonton and Koronin posting now.

Not that I see Quintana or Yates challenging Ineos anyway.

Don't understand why you can't see Quintana challenging, agree about Yates though
I hope I am wrong. Just that he has been lacking in the mountains for the last 2 years. While he gained power in the flats.

Escarabajo said:
del1962 said:
Escarabajo said:
Scarponi said:
Impressed by big Quints today
This.

I don't see Tonton and Koronin posting now.

Not that I see Quintana or Yates challenging Ineos anyway.

Don't understand why you can't see Quintana challenging, agree about Yates though
I hope I am wrong. Just that he has been lacking in the mountains for the last 2 years. While he gained power in the flats.

Unless Quintana finds his 2015 form, which we haven't seen any signs of yet, I don't think he can challegen Ineos either unles Thomas and Bernal have problems. (Don't think Yates can either.)

Flashback to the TDF 2013. Nairo Quintana was the revelation of the Tour (Froome had already shown his cards in 2012). Who would have thought that six years later, with Quintana supposedly in his peak years for GC contention, that he would absolutely struggle to keep up in the mountains with a guy who'd been focusing on track and classics, with mixed success at best in the latter: Geraint Thomas?

Arkea - Samsic? Sure, why not? They'll get invites to the GTs, and can probably get a top 5 out of Quintana next year. Having Winner and Dayan onboard should help, too. If Quintana finishes podium or Top 5 in the TdF it will look pretty smart. Movistar can build around Carapaz now, unless Ineos swoops in.

MatParker117 said:
Bolder said:
Arkea - Samsic? Sure, why not? They'll get invites to the GTs, and can probably get a top 5 out of Quintana next year. Having Winner and Dayan onboard should help, too. If Quintana finishes podium or Top 5 in the TdF it will look pretty smart. Movistar can build around Carapaz now, unless Ineos swoops in.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/richard-carapaz-agreed-move-team-ineos-according-reports-431061

Break up the band! I think you'd have to agree that outside of Carapaz, Movistar have underperformed relative to potential. (I'm excluding Valverde). I quite like Quintana and hope he can be a real podium finisher again.

Re:

Forever The Best said:
At Arkea? The probability of Quintana getting a GT podium at Arkea is as much as unicorns being real.

Well, it's not as if he's getting much support from Movistar. I suppose it could be another Barguil situation, and he'll hit (relative) bottom. But I dunno, you don't think that Quintana could steal a third following wheels at the Vuelta or Giro with a couple of decent domestiques?

Near as I can tell the current Arkea guys are making sure they grab all the camera angles from the back of the peloton :Neutral: so getting Winner and Dayan and Diego Rosa could only be an improvement.

If he completely tanks at the Tour then I'll have to jump on the "Quintana is done" bandwagon. But not just yet...