• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 335 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And that 2015 podium for Valverde played a part in Nairo not winning that Tour. Also, let’s not forget 2014. Movistar sent him to the Giro so that Valverde could have another crack at a Tour podium (which he proceeded to f*€k up). That would’ve been Quintana’s best chance to win the race as it has turned out.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
With the way Ineos is controlling Egan, the race could be up for grabs. Or in other words I don't see the dominant team that can control the race.

There has been no dominant team. Groupama looked weak yesterday. Ineos is all over the place. If Movistar rode the Tour they way the rode the Giro they might have won it.

And if Quintana rode the whole Tour like yesterday's stage, he would be in the lead now, or very close to it.

Blanco said:
Cookster15 said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Valverde podiumed 2015 Tour...

Okay, thanks missed that. Rest of my post I stand by.

Did you also missed 3 Vuelta podiums and 1 Giro podium after 2009? :rolleyes:

Yes I did as Koronin pointed out - did you miss that ? :rolleyes: But as I posted elsewhere Quintana won riding for Movistar first the 2014 Giro then the 2016 Vuelta defeating Froome. He fulfilled his side of the contract back then.

But for these grand tour victories he was rewarded with only shared leadership and then to rub salt into the wound they bring the inconsistent Landa into the team and say please share leadership with AV and the new guy :Question:

I am not a particular fan of Quintana I just don't see why people are so surprised his performances fell after 2016. Who wouldn't? I wonder how AV would go not riding in a Spanish team dedicated to him? I have nothing against AV either but the pile on against NQ is very unfair in my view.

Quintana's only mistake was not leaving in 2016. Otherwise I see him as a victim of team politics. Today's performance as proven by his Galibier record was a big statement to remind them he still has it and what they have wasted. Good for him.

Cookster15 said:
Pantani_lives said:
Quintana rode the final 8.6 km of the Galibier in 22:26 or 23 km/h, an all-time record.

http://www.climbing-records.com/

Hopefully next year he will have a team that supports him.

Which kind of blows out of the water all these theories that he isn't as strong because he chooses to train in Colombia.
To be fair - not the best comparison. Only 2011 the climb to Galibier Serre-Chevalier was also the last mountain on that stage. But he indeed took 1:10 on the fastest back then (Fränk Schleck).

Cookster15 said:
Blanco said:
Cookster15 said:
Amazinmets87 said:

Yes I did as Koronin pointed out - did you miss that ? :rolleyes: But as I posted elsewhere Quintana won riding for Movistar first the 2014 Giro then the 2016 Vuelta defeating Froome. He fulfilled his side of the contract back then.

But for these grand tour victories he was rewarded with only shared leadership and then to rub salt into the wound they bring the inconsistent Landa into the team and say please share leadership with AV and the new guy :Question:

I am not a particular fan of Quintana I just don't see why people are so surprised his performances fell after 2016. Who wouldn't? I wonder how AV would go not riding in a Spanish team dedicated to him? I have nothing against AV either but the pile on against NQ is very unfair in my view.

Quintana's only mistake was not leaving in 2016. Otherwise I see him as a victim of team politics. Today's performance as proven by his Galibier record was a big statement to remind them he still has it and what they have wasted. Good for him.

And why wouldn't I be surprised with drop of his performances after 2016? He was entering the prime years of his career!

Pantani_lives said:
Quintana rode the final 8.6 km of the Galibier in 22:26 or 23 km/h, an all-time record.

http://www.climbing-records.com/

Hopefully next year he will have a team that supports him.
They don't often do that side of the Galibier and almost never at the decisive end of a stage. In 2011 there was a headwind.

The impressive thing for me is not the climbing time, but the fact he was much faster than the main GC guys. They did the Izoard harder, but the Vars and Izoard were both very slow yesterday. Must have a very hard day

Blanco said:
Cookster15 said:
Blanco said:
Cookster15 said:
Amazinmets87 said:

And why wouldn't I be surprised with drop of his performances after 2016? He was entering the prime years of his career!

It is simple to understand with an open mind.

Marco Quintani

ivzg2o.jpg

TRENDING THREADS