• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 345 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"Expect" and "want" have very different meanings.

Yes and no. "Expect to try to win" and "want to win" are basically the same thing. In reality if you are named race leader and are a GC rider you should be expected to try to win the race and you should want to win the race or you shouldn't be the race leader. Yes, the words by themselves have different meanings, but in certain context can have very similar meanings. However, in either case if you aren't capable of winning, but a teammate may be, then the best course of action is to try to help him. (That goes for any rider and sometimes we see it and sometimes we don't.)

Who cares.
Most races he enters he's there to win. The ones he's not there to win are because he's working for someone else. He was at the Tour to help Quintana and Landa.

The problem is what Quintana said was basically he expects to be team leader in every race he enters BUT that he shouldn't be expected to win most of them. Valverde fully expects to try to win any race he goes to as race leader. He wasn't supposed to be race at the Tour because Quintana and Landa were supposed to be better than him.

Do you want a REAL discussion or not because it doesn't appear you do. It appears you just want to antagonize with non genuine questions.
Please read what you write. No matter what Quintana says you jump the gun to criticize him. No matter what it is. Many riders if not all say one thing and do other or can not fulfill what they want at one point or another. That is only human. That's the story!

Who cares.

Please read what your write. No matter what Quintana says you jump the gun to criticize him. No matter what it is. Many riders if not all say one thing and do other or can not fulfill what they want at one point or another. That is only human. That's the story!

He's basically saying the opposite of what he said a couple years ago. It's possible that Shadow is completely correct that it's because he's now with a different team. At the time he made the other comment was when things between himself and Movistar management had started to fall apart. Things just continued to get worse from that point on. It could very well be as simple as a new start with a different team.

Yes and no. "Expect to try to win" and "want to win" are basically the same thing. In reality if you are named race leader and are a GC rider you should be expected to try to win the race and you should want to win the race or you shouldn't be the race leader. Yes, the words by themselves have different meanings, but in certain context can have very similar meanings. However, in either case if you aren't capable of winning, but a teammate may be, then the best course of action is to try to help him. (That goes for any rider and sometimes we see it and sometimes we don't.)
Where did that "try to" come from all of sudden? I feel like you're twisting his words.

So we have Quintana now saying he expects to win every race he enters. Didn't he say 2-3 years ago that he shouldn't be expected to win every race he enters?

The quote was "wants to win" not "expects to win". There is a difference that I hope that you are able to see. As much as we are all aware of your dislike for Quintana I would hope that you didn't misquote him on purpose to steer your agenda of continuing to make him the bad guy.

Most races he enters he's there to win. The ones he's not there to win are because he's working for someone else. He was at the Tour to help Quintana and Landa.

The problem is what Quintana said was basically he expects to be team leader in every race he enters BUT that he shouldn't be expected to win most of them. Valverde fully expects to try to win any race he goes to as race leader. He wasn't supposed to be race at the Tour because Quintana and Landa were supposed to be better than him.

You continue to misquote him. He said that he 'wants' to win every race he enters. Unless there is another article you are referencing when you assign these quotes to him you are basically being purposely misleading. Expecting to win means that you feel that you are the favorite in the intended event. Wanting to win means that you have a hope to achieve that result, not an expectation. They are not the same. I don't recall him ever saying that he expects to be the team leader in every event he enters and even the idea is ridiculous when you often have him in events with Landa and/or Valverde as co-leaders.

Just no.

The quote was "wants to win" not "expects to win". There is a difference that I hope that you are able to see. As much as we are all aware of your dislike for Quintana I would hope that you didn't misquote him on purpose to steer your agenda of continuing to make him the bad guy.

The quote for next season is wants not expects. The quote a couple years years before a season with Movistar was expects.

However, the issue may be in translation as tobydawq is correct that "esperar" does have both meanings "to hope" and "to expect".

He'll race Tour de La Provence next year.

A stage finish in Chalet Reynard (midway up the Mont Ventoux) has been announced.
The way I see Pinot's schedule options, that could make for a good intrigue/marketing and save a race that is struggling to survive. Good thing. And Thibaut will kick his @ss. Nairo is not the same rider he was.

Sorry for the Quintana fans, but I really think he'll never be great again. He peaked early, big wins and all, like Bardet he looked burned out last year. Maybe an argument about maturing a little slower and gaining longevity. Or maybe he will be free of politics, feel safe and appreciated as a leader, re-ignite the fire.

But what do I know?

Lol. The bad and slow Quintana still can out climb most of the riders at the beginning of the season. This guy no matter how slow and heavy, he still is at the front of every mountain at the end of any stage. He has incredible talent. The only problem is probably the way he rides and he receives too much hate for it. Probably more than he deserves.

But yeah, we might not see the best of him again. Feel bad for the little guy. Maybe the change of team will help him.

I know the joke is getting old but Nairo looks way older than the joke here:

daniel-martinez-nairo-quintana-egan-bernal-campeonato-colombia-cri-2020.jpg

On another note, I think we'll see some vintage Quintana this season.

TRENDING THREADS