• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 357 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
i just dont understand how people dont see that the crash was the reason from today blows
Yes, a bit of hypocrisy from people who haven't had a big crash on the bike and think that you can just get back on the horse like nothing happened. But that's a minority here. Every rider has its haters and they will rejoice on social media. Maybe Hinault will chime in too. Welcome to my world :).

A great Quintana definitely had a shot with this route, his early spring was promising; I'm not so sure that JV was so great today, but Ineos being this bad gives that impression. Others followed, probably tired and happy about the scenario. Only Yates did something, I thought that Landa would.

Nairo is still too close to be ignored, he can still podium, but that's nothing to him. He's one more casualty, I hope that he recovers some and has a fighting chance week 3.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Yes, a bit of hypocrisy from people who haven't had a big crash on the bike and think that you can just get back on the horse like nothing happened. But that's a minority here. Every rider has its haters and they will rejoice on social media. Maybe Hinault will chime in too. Welcome to my world :).

A great Quintana definitely had a shot with this route, his early spring was promising; I'm not so sure that JV was so great today, but Ineos being this bad gives that impression. Others followed, probably tired and happy about the scenario. Only Yates did something, I thought that Landa would.

Nairo is still too close to be ignored, he can still podium, but that's nothing to him. He's one more casualty, I hope that he recovers some and has a fighting chance week 3.
Honestly I fell off my bike standing still the other day and I could barely turn the pedals on my knee, people just legit think they are unbreakable because so many riders get up and ride on with injuries on other sports would have you out for weeks.

If anybody speaks spanish. Here Quintana is describing the problems he had with the crashes but in particular the last crash where he landed with the poisonous bush:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-J8wDpB8tE

He had blisters all over the body. Have not been able to sleep very well. Creams and warm towels every night. He wanted to recuperate as soon as possible but the last crash took its toll. he felt very good the first week. Very good but as everyone is doing he was playing the waiting game. Oh well.

If anybody speaks spanish. Here Quintana is describing the problems he had with the crashes but in particular the last crash where he landed with the poisonous bush:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-J8wDpB8tE

He had blisters all over the body. Have not been able to sleep very well. Creams and warm towels every night. He wanted to recuperate as soon as possible but the last crash took its toll. he felt very good the first week. Very good but as everyone is doing he was playing the waiting game. Oh well.
Damn!

Tough to see a rider of Quintana's caliber finishing such a stage in the autobus. If it were earlier in the race an abandon would make sense. However at this point it makes sense to ride into Paris so long as there are no detrimental effects given his injuries.
Especially because Arkea will not go to either Giro or Vuelta. They placed everything for this race.
It is strange that after losing 25 minutes he is still 15th.

Why's that? No wildcard to those GTs? Weird, considering they have a previous Giro and Vuelta winner.

Only 2 wildcards this year for the Vuelta, 3 for the Giro. If they still had 4 Arkea with Quintana would surely have had a good shot for the Vuelta.

As it is, tomorrow is probably the only mountainous day left on his calendar. They have invites for the Ardennes, but no expectations for Quintana there.

Why's that? No wildcard to those GTs? Weird, considering they have a previous Giro and Vuelta winner.

Not at all weird. Both the Giro and Vuelta prefer to give wildcard invites to teams in their own country. La Vuelta even said their wildcards would be going to two of the three Spanish pro conti teams. No other team was being considered.

Only 2 wildcards this year for the Vuelta, 3 for the Giro. If they still had 4 Arkea with Quintana would surely have had a good shot for the Vuelta.

As it is, tomorrow is probably the only mountainous day left on his calendar. They have invites for the Ardennes, but no expectations for Quintana there.

Actually Arkea was unlikely to get a wildcard even if la Vuelta had 4. They said the 4th team they were looking at was Van Der Poel's team. They felt he would give them a better show for the invite. Their first 3 wildcards go to the 3 Spanish Pro Conti teams. Also it's highly likely Spain will have 4 Pro Conti teams next year with Contador's team stepping up to that level. Thus going forward if they have 4 wildcards all 4 will go to Spanish teams.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
What a depressing end this is being to a tour that started with so much promise.

really heartbroken for him :(

I agree that it is a bad way to end. However, I don't think he has the mental ability to win the TdF. I don't think he cracks as much physically (minus this year) as he just fails mentally. When you start second guessing or worrying about almost anything in a race like the tour... you are going to not perform as well as normal. Ask Lance, Froome, Contador, Nibli to name a few. They won and did it by not worrying about a small amount of time and they would attack. They crushed people in their way to the win. Riders second guessing if they could complete with them. It's a great way to start a race like the TdF, with riders scared of you. Niro just doesn't seem to be like that.

Please check the Twiter from Nairo, he showed how he is from the crash on friday. He is absolute destroyed. Its a petty.
Dont think that he will have a lot more oportunities, but i hope so.
Next year should be better if he is not hitted by a car in the middle of training.

Still wondering why the hell did he pick Arkeas. Cant believe no WT team desired him.
Other members have already voiced their opinion which I really don't agree. For me there were several reasons and they all were good at the time:

1- Reunite with brother and training partner Dayer and Winer.
2- Call the shots.
3- Still payed him good money.
4- Only leader
5- Gave him his options on training. Which is similar to point 2.
6- Reunite with old coach who still believed in him.

There were many pros if everything went right. Now everything was going perfect until Covid happened. Then the crashes and one thing lead to another. He is now seeing the reality of being in a small team. Which could be worse than reuniting with his brother which was a big dream of his according to him.

Having said all that Arkea is still the leading team in the points for Continental teams. The problem is that they are running out of races. If they make it in first place then they can go to all 3 GT's next year. He wants to go back to the Giro. He is now seeing that being in a small team there are limited opportunities to shine.

TRENDING THREADS