• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 367 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, I also think he did very well. But his climbing is more volatile than at his absolute peak.

Anyway, surprised that its Arkea’s decision. Always thought that a duo Quintana/Barguil is as good for them as it gets.
I can't recall any circumstance where Barquil appeared to work for anyone. Part of a Duo is some common strategy and assistance. When Nairo came by him with about 4km to go and, after not getting water from the team car (!!???) he just pulled the plug. He could've been that tired but showed no attempt to stay on for a moment.

Even as the leader of JV, Quintana has no chance against Pog. The team stuff is a wrong debate in my opinion. Movistar? One time shame on you, second time shame on me. Until he sees Valverde's dead body run through a meat slicer or a shredder (yeah I know it's gory), Movistar is unlikely.

Nairo had a good Tour, he just wasn't good enough, he wasn't the best Quintana. He could have fallen lower today. He fought hard.

I said Movistar just to make a point. But didn't mean as the best team for him.

We keep discussing Quintana this and Quintana that, and yet he was fighting for the Podium at one point. What do you want me to say to this? I have been a critic of his and yet here today he was fighting for the fifth place. We can make all the excuses we want but there are always excuses in every Tour.
In La Movida Johan was saying the same thing. And he admitted that he was wrong about Quintana. He has got talent, motivation and some balls. And that's the reason why the team wants to resign him.

About the team, in La Movida Victor Hugo talked to him and it sounds like there was very good chemistry within the team between the youngsters and him. And they got along very well. Quintana said that he was motivated by the young guys and that they don't have any memory of previous Tours, so everything was a first for the majority of them. So not having recent memory is one of the keys of success, like they teach you in motivation classes. Lol.

Chapeau Nairo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollthedice
Arkea was fine this TdF thanks to Quintana. That's why he is paid for. Quintana is a good fit for Arkea.

I still would have loved to see Quintana in a more structured team. But I think that ship has sailed for him. Additionally, he loves to have his entourage around him and do his things in Colombia, training and nutrition. He loves the attention and his social requirements. He would have to give up a lot of that in another team. And he would probably be a second fodder as well.

Yaco, I would have loved to see Quintana riding the Giro this year as well. But Arkea has never shown interest in the race being a French team.

Even as the leader of JV, Quintana has no chance against Pog. The team stuff is a wrong debate in my opinion. Movistar? One time shame on you, second time shame on me. Until he sees Valverde's dead body run through a meat slicer or a shredder (yeah I know it's gory), Movistar is unlikely.

Nairo had a good Tour, he just wasn't good enough, he wasn't the best Quintana. He could have fallen lower today. He fought hard.
He ended up finishing about 45’ seconds out of 5th place, and if he was focused on saving positions (boo!) instead of hanging in with the Pog-Vingo group in the highest climbs he would not have bled out time this last two climbing stages. And I think had Pogacar not exploded on the final climb in Stage 12, Vingegaard would have waited longer to attack, and Quintana might have hung in to win that one (probably not, but there was a chance), and he put on a good show that day going early on that final climb.

Arkea was fine this TdF thanks to Quintana. That's why he is paid for. Quintana is a good fit for Arkea.

I still would have loved to see Quintana in a more structured team. But I think that ship has sailed for him. Additionally, he loves to have his entourage around him and do his things in Colombia, training and nutrition. He loves the attention and his social requirements. He would have to give up a lot of that in another team. And he would probably be a second fodder as well.

Yaco, I would have loved to see Quintana riding the Giro this year as well. But Arkea has never shown interest in the race being a French team.

Arkea simply at this point doesn't have the team to ride 3 GTs, so I think passing on the Giro was the right decision. Next year they will be ProTour if nothing big changes, then no choice anymore, let's see if they manage to strengthen the team a bit.

I think Arkea is a good fit for Quintana too, he's the leader, no question. Staying here gives him the best chance to finish another GT on a podium. Don't think he can win one anymore and have my doubt about the podium too, but then I expected him to be a 7-12th rider in the Tour this year, was 5th-7th, so clearly a step above my expectations. Uran is still better though!!!!
And being at Arkea basically gives him a shot at all the races he might care about. Yes, some french racing is required, shouldn't really hurt him, but he should be able to chose which other races he wants, Giro or Vuelta, etc. Tour might be required, but he should be ok with that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think we can all agree that Quintana finished exactly where he belongs this Tour. He's not going to get close to a podium again, at least time-wise, barring a series of misfortunes to others. He's aging and has a lot of wear and tear. (2 knee operations).

Other teams... Maybe EF to go with Carapaz and other LatAm riders? I think he's best off on a team where he can speak Spanish.

I think we can all agree that Quintana finished exactly where he belongs this Tour. He's not going to get close to a podium again, at least time-wise, barring a series of misfortunes to others. He's aging and has a lot of wear and tear. (2 knee operations).

Other teams... Maybe EF to go with Carapaz and other LatAm riders? I think he's best off on a team where he can speak Spanish.
I like the EF possibility.

Here's his own thought on the matter. You can watch this with the autogenerated translations on if you want to get a feel for the real Nairo that never comes through in the English-speaking media (veteranas means cougars in Colombian slang, BTW).

It actually seems like Arkea might go up to WT next year, and they seem to have promised Quintana some climbers. I mean, it's good to stick with a team you already went through some tough times with, so you know exactly where you stand. But try as they might have wanted to they were very little help this Tour, their second best climber is mercurial at best, and they focus on the Tour, instead of the Vuelta and particularly the Giro which would seem to should suit Nairo better.

I think he's a notch below Bernal/Hindley/Carapaz and another one past Pog/Rog/Vinge. But he's a wily racer and he risks it all in a way that prefaced the current generation, and by that I really mean Pogacar, Carapaz and Bernal in terms of attacking intent. I still think if the race breaks his way he could still podium a grand tour. I do think he still dreams of the Tour, though, and that might be why he sticks around.

Arkea simply at this point doesn't have the team to ride 3 GTs, so I think passing on the Giro was the right decision. Next year they will be ProTour if nothing big changes, then no choice anymore, let's see if they manage to strengthen the team a bit.

I think Arkea is a good fit for Quintana too, he's the leader, no question. Staying here gives him the best chance to finish another GT on a podium. Don't think he can win one anymore and have my doubt about the podium too, but then I expected him to be a 7-12th rider in the Tour this year, was 5th-7th, so clearly a step above my expectations. Uran is still better though!!!!
And being at Arkea basically gives him a shot at all the races he might care about. Yes, some french racing is required, shouldn't really hurt him, but he should be able to chose which other races he wants, Giro or Vuelta, etc. Tour might be required, but he should be ok with that.

They passed on the Giro to get UCI points, despite Quintana and Burguil wanting to ride the Giro.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Here's his own thought on the matter. You can watch this with the autogenerated translations on if you want to get a feel for the real Nairo that never comes through in the English-speaking media (veteranas means cougars in Colombian slang, BTW).

It actually seems like Arkea might go up to WT next year, and they seem to have promised Quintana some climbers. I mean, it's good to stick with a team you already went through some tough times with, so you know exactly where you stand. But try as they might have wanted to they were very little help this Tour, their second best climber is mercurial at best, and they focus on the Tour, instead of the Vuelta and particularly the Giro which would seem to should suit Nairo better.

I think he's a notch below Bernal/Hindley/Carapaz and another one past Pog/Rog/Vinge. But he's a wily racer and he risks it all in a way that prefaced the current generation, and by that I really mean Pogacar, Carapaz and Bernal in terms of attacking intent. I still think if the race breaks his way he could still podium a grand tour. I do think he still dreams of the Tour, though, and that might be why he sticks around.
that's some almost Froome level of delusional reasoning over there... he's done GC wise no matter how many climbers he can get. sad... i know... but true.

Reactions: movingtarget

Staying, if help is provided does make sense.
As far as being a notch below Bernal/Hindley/Carapaz: Bernal has not returned to racing and may not be a factor for awhile, Hindley is young and has upside which is a plus. Carapaz has shown great things with questionable support. He is a real wild card in a GT if on form. Nairo is really the first year after serious injury. He's been consistent and another training year might be his step up; which would justify his further investment in his GT future as well as a team's investment.
He is one of the best Racers of the peloton and those groups of GT riders you mention are similar in pack skills, strategy and power when it's needed. You need to be in the top three of that skillset to be competitive.

If he was going to podium a race it would probably be the Vuelta. Landa podiumed the Giro so its not impossible but Landa is probably a more consistent climber than Quintana at the moment which is saying something. Still I think the podium is unlikely at this stage and it will only get worse if the O'Connors, Haigs and Gaudus etc show more improvement. I would put him in the same category as Bardet. Thereabouts but not good enough. Bardet looked better in the Giro but as often with him, injuries, illness and crashes. Both of them went off the boil around the same time, about four years ago while Pinot is now chasing stage wins.......

TRENDING THREADS