• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 389 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is going to Giro for stage hunting in the mountains.

I haven't heard Geraint Thomas podcast but it seems him and Luke Rowe have been really critical of Quintana. I would have quoted them but I could be banned by proxy :cry:

Reading CN's quotations I was surprised. Both rode on Sky and Geraint on Ineos.....how could they ever look at Nairo's Tramadol positive with his ban sentence served and not feel like shutting up would be the best course of action?

I haven't heard Geraint Thomas podcast but it seems him and Luke Rowe have been really critical of Quintana. I would have quoted them but I could be banned by proxy :cry:
Here is the quote. I doubt you can get banned for quoting cyclingnews own story. There has to be something much deeper going on to have as many Ineos rider's saying these things.

Quintana’s return to the WorldTour was a controversial one. In a since-deleted exchange on Geraint Thomas’ podcast, the Welshman said Quintana “shouldn’t even be racing,” while his teammate Luke Rowe described the Colombian as “a little *** rat.”

Their former Sky teammate Wout Poels, meanwhile, admitted to taunting Quintana about his positive test for Tramadol when they jostled for position at the Volta a Catalunya.

Here is the quote. I doubt you can get banned for quoting cyclingnews own story. There has to be something much deeper going on to have as many Ineos rider's saying these things.
Yeah, these good ol' Sky-lads are definitely very sympathetic.

A *** bunch of moronic hypocrites, yes, thats what they are. Will wait for them to say similar stuff about Chris Froome.

Wouldn't have expected anything else. Confirms to me why I still haven't listened to an episode and don't like that era (Froome, Porte, Rogers, Wiggo, Poels, Rowe etc.) of Sky-riders.

But I thought the first time I heard of riders taking tramadol was SKY for TTs
Didnt someone come out and say that

And that was when Thomas and Rowe were there

I am sure I am not mistaken about this ...eemm

They also rode for Wiggins who took it as did Kiryenkia

Seems like its only an issue if you are caught for it ?

Quintana denies using it during competition, so you have to consider how it got into his system, there is a subtext. I don't think he was effectively blacklisted for tramadol use, nor do Thomas and Rowe given like you said people in the BC system used it in finishing bottles when it wasn't prohibited. His doctor goes on trial in September after hotel raids in the 2020 Tour uncovered evidence of usage of prohibited methods, I think this is the implication.

There is bad blood between Sky/Movistar anyway like FroomeWagon suggested, Vuelta 2020, Tour 2021, Carapaz, Rodriguez. I remember Ian Stannard and Valverde kicking off with each other on the Ventoux stage in 2016. Some people don't like this sort of nastiness. Not me though I think it's hilarious, cycling needs more needle.

Reactions: FroomeWagon
There is bad blood between Sky/Movistar anyway like FroomeWagon suggested, Vuelta 2020, Tour 2021, Carapaz, Rodriguez. I remember Ian Stannard and Valverde kicking off with each other on the Ventoux stage in 2016. Some people don't like this sort of nastiness. Not me though I think it's hilarious, cycling needs more needle.
TdR (I think it was) and Vuelta 2012

Nairoman is the real threat. Teddy will waste his energy in the first 8 stages of the Giro thinking that his gap is enough. OTOH Camaleon will save his bullets for the most difficult stages later in the race: Forcola Livigno and Monte Grappa will be a shock to cycling fans.
I will definitely be shocked if he does anything on Forcola Livigno considering the Giro forgot to ask the Swiss if they would actually clear the road and had to replace it with Foscagno. Bet Pogačar isn‘t prepared to ride through the deep snow.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Quintana denies using it during competition, so you have to consider how it got into his system, there is a subtext. I don't think he was effectively blacklisted for tramadol use, nor do Thomas and Rowe given like you said people in the BC system used it in finishing bottles when it wasn't prohibited. His doctor goes on trial in September after hotel raids in the 2020 Tour uncovered evidence of usage of prohibited methods, I think this is the implication.

So mafia rules.

A *** bunch of moronic hypocrites, yes, thats what they are. Will wait for them to say similar stuff about Chris Froome.

Wouldn't have expected anything else. Confirms to me why I still haven't listened to an episode and don't like that era (Froome, Porte, Rogers, Wiggo, Poels, Rowe etc.) of Sky-riders.

Quintana is an absolute scumbag on the bike, don't judge the Sky guys for calling him out. Lots of people have been saying this for years.

Quintana is heinous, for he dropped both Alberto and Vincenzo numerous times.

Apart from that I can't find that many sins

Do you have any quotes? I cannot recall any stories like that.

He elbowed Wout Poels, followed by a Garcia Cortina punch last month in Catalunya, hence the tramadol comment. Can't really defend Thomas properly because to be honest I've never bought his story, and I think a lot of what he says is performative, but Quintana has been known to give as good as he gets for years. Some of his antics in the 2019 Tour were particularly funny, just an absolute refusal to lift a finger for anyone but himself, though I still say Valverde deserved the disaster on stage 20 as payback for 2015.

I still think attacking on the neutralised descent in the 2014 Giro was hella dodgy.

I'll always be curious as to who ratted him out in 2020, there were some interesting rumours about the mayor of the town being friends with Antoine Vayer but I don't know whether that was just clinic ****posting.

Reactions: Red Rick

That era Tramadol wasn't against the rules, for Quintana it was so that's not being hypocritical to denounce him. Not that i'm aware of evidence or even here say Thomas or Poels ever took it, the point is the peloton are not great admirers of Quintana, and his Tramadol use, his Dr wrapped up in things, hotel raids etc kinds of proved their point.

But I thought the first time I heard of riders taking tramadol was SKY for TTs
Didnt someone come out and say that

And that was when Thomas and Rowe were there

I am sure I am not mistaken about this ...eemm

They also rode for Wiggins who took it as did Kiryenkia

Seems like its only an issue if you are caught for it ?
....and paid the career price for the transgression. Unseemly criticism on so many levels. There may even be some nationalistic wounds based on Froome and Sky's beat down in the Vuelta where the entire team was caught napping. The entire field dropped them and humbled the vaunted Tour winner and his crew.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I just remembered Froome bragging about warning UCI for mechanical doping after Femke van Driessche got caught with motors. Throwing someone under the bus, and being very hypocritical whilst doing that. Holier than thou attitude whilst being no different that I cannot stand.

It's the same kind of holier than you attitude that allows Gaimon to bash someone like Mancebo, while defending his butt buddy Tom Danielson until the end. A bunch of chauvinistic ***.
This is why I still have Gaimon in my signature lol.

Reactions: Oldermanish
That era Tramadol wasn't against the rules, for Quintana it was so that's not being hypocritical to denounce him. Not that i'm aware of evidence or even here say Thomas or Poels ever took it, the point is the peloton are not great admirers of Quintana, and his Tramadol use, his Dr wrapped up in things, hotel raids etc kinds of proved their point.
This is really wrong. So when some drugs (doping offenses) were allowed was Ok, but now it is not. And when I did it, it was Ok and now I can bully other riders myself , who has done the same when it was Ok, because now it is not. That doesn't make any sense at all, IMO.