• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championship Discussion/Results

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Climeon said:
Quote: Team Argos-Shimano ‏@1t4i
The gap between the peloton and the breakaway is around one minute. Five laps (of 10.3 km per lap) down, twenty-two to go!
Is the Dutch race really 275+ kilometres long?
They have to do 22 laps of 10.3km (which is significantly less than 275+) don't know why Argos-Shimano says 25 laps.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Is it really that bad in Limburg? :eek:

It's bad wheather over here too, rainy and windy, in South Holland, but nothing like "only 56 riders left in the race before the TV coverage even starts"-bad wheather.

Do you know whether the lap in Kerkrade has open spots in the wind btw?

No hardly open spots. But I live in a normal crowded street too and I can tell you the wind goes right between and through everything. I imagine it's the same 40km south ;)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No hardly open spots. But I live in a normal crowded street too and I can tell you the wind goes right between and through everything. I imagine it's the same 40km south ;)

Wind just makes these laps that much worse.

When I'm in Leuven (I study there) my training lap is the one from the Brabantse Pijl, which is very much like this lap, and I feel like there's nothing more annoying than making it up the 15% slope to the top only to be punched in the face by a strong wind.

But yeah, if I imagine riding my training lap, 22 times, in the rain, with strong wind. :eek::eek::eek:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Progress!

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
road race Kazakhstan:

1. BAZAYEV Assan (Astana Pro Team)
2. LUTSENKO Alexey (Continental Team Astana)
3. ISHANOV Abdraimzhan (Continental Team Astana)

Good one for Baza, taking into consideration a long period of stagnation somewhat.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Konfronto said:
Good one for Baza, taking into consideration a long period of stagnation somewhat.

This Lutsenko guy looks pretty impressive too, only from '92 and 2nd in the ITT and the RR with the elites. Pretty impressive; I'll keep my eye on that guy for the future.

Meanwhile in Limburg: Rain and wind.

About 50 riders left and still 1 hour and 30 minutes to go till it goes live.
I bet there will be like 30 riders left by then :D

Normally I'm all for rain and wind, but this course was selective enough without the rain and wind.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Is he really that bad in these type of races????

You seem to forget that Gilbert has wasted the rest of his career last year. He didn't rest at all in 2011 after his fantastic (but very tiring and long) spring, he rode almost 5 weeks non stop from the Tour and post-Tour crits until Eneco. He felt pretty spent after that, but he decided that he had to win the Worldtour, the Worlds and Lombardia. He kept training like a madman until October, and only succeeded in winning the WT. He failed miserably in September and October in winning the other two races.

Of course he rested in winter, but the damage had been done to his recovery, stamina and resistance. He should've started training much later than he did. A few signs were Haut-Var, the TTT in Tirreno and the Ronde and E3, where he got weaker due to the repeated efforts on each hill. Only the Amstel Gold and Fleche were raced mildly enough for Gilbert to contend.(Due to his once again increased power output)

His resistance problem will show even more in criterium-type races, where every corner requires you to dig deep. He slowly fades when the pace is up to 50 kms/h... I hope for him this 'theory' is wrong, but until today Phil's not proven me otherwise.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, sharp descents, lots of turns and twists, narrow roads etc. that's pretty dangerous in this rain I guess. Hoping there won't be any crashes anymore, but I doubt it. :(

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Meanwhile in Limburg: Rain and wind.

About 50 riders left and still 1 hour and 30 minutes to go till it goes live.
I bet there will be like 30 riders left by then :D

Normally I'm all for rain and wind, but this course was selective enough without the rain and wind.

The weather is so bad even Traksel abandoned :eek:

auscyclefan94 said:
Has Gesink crashed yet?

YOU_ARE_HILARIOUS_fING_PENIS_INSPECTION_DAY-s400x546-211584-580.jpg

but not really

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just ignore the guy? Dutch people get agitated very quickly, it's definitely not our best habit. That doesn't mean trolling is good ofc.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Can't you just ignore the guy? Dutch people get agitated very quickly, it's definitely not our best habit. That doesn't mean trolling is good ofc.

They wouldn't do that! Deep down, the Dutch posters love me!:D

In all seriousness, it is just a bit of friendly banter.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
You seem to forget that Gilbert has wasted the rest of his career last year. He didn't rest at all in 2011 after his fantastic (but very tiring and long) spring, he rode almost 5 weeks non stop from the Tour and post-Tour crits until Eneco. He felt pretty spent after that, but he decided that he had to win the Worldtour, the Worlds and Lombardia. He kept training like a madman until October, and only succeeded in winning the WT. He failed miserably in September and October in winning the other two races.

Of course he rested in winter, but the damage had been done to his recovery, stamina and resistance. He should've started training much later than he did. A few signs were Haut-Var, the TTT in Tirreno and the Ronde and E3, where he got weaker due to the repeated efforts on each hill. Only the Amstel Gold and Fleche were raced mildly enough for Gilbert to contend.(Due to his once again increased power output)

His resistance problem will show even more in criterium-type races, where every corner requires you to dig deep. He slowly fades when the pace is up to 50 kms/h... I hope for him this 'theory' is wrong, but until today Phil's not proven me otherwise.

Well yeah last year had a huge effect on him. And he seemed fatigued. Plus he had that tooth infection which really hurt him too. He seemed to have recovered from all of that and he is currently gradually building up form for le tour and the olympics.
Im not sure if the normal gilbert will ever be back this season, we might have to wait till next year.

Pentacycle said:

I don't usually bait for trolling and I think ACF94 is a fine guy, but he made 2 posts today and both were about Gesink falling. I just wanted to point out that it wasn't really funny anymore.

TRENDING THREADS