• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championships 2018

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Viviani is having a stunning season. He’s clever and versatile as well as fast. I’m not really sure how he pulled this one off though. He was dropped on a couple of the hillier stages at the Giro when Bennett hung on comfortably enough and his form was presumably better then. Pretty amazing that Pozzovivo and Visconti couldn’t get rid of him here. They should be clearly superior on that terrain.
In a circuit with only a 2 kms false flat and a 300 meters wall as climbs and wide open roads everywhere else it's impossible for Pozzovivo to make the difference.
With how the race unfolded the win was served on a silver plate to Viviani.

Ah, ok. I hadn’t looked at the profile and assumed, given that the biggest group in the top 30 plus riders at the finish was six guys, that there was a harder climb on the circuit. It’s not as shocking that Viviani could handle a couple of shallow kms and a 300 meter wall. How many times did they do it?

Re:

RedheadDane said:
How does this happen? Another case of double-nationality?

Maybe she changed to an irish license and PCS doesn't have her updated.
Or maybe she just felt like entering.

Anyone can enter any national championship and even win it. It's the first national across the line that gets the national champion jersey. The US championships were attended by several major foreign teams for years on end, for example.

GuyIncognito said:
Anyone can enter any national championship and even win it. It's the first national across the line that gets the national champion jersey. The US championships were attended by several major foreign teams for years on end, for example.

I was not aware of that, obviously…
Hmm... I seem to recall something about Girdlestone being asked to "please don't" enter the NZ RR earlier this year…

GuyIncognito said:
RedheadDane said:

Maybe she changed to an irish license and PCS doesn't have her updated.
Or maybe she just felt like entering.

It wasn’t quite that, there was a 1-day classic for pros which was held in the US, and the highest placed American was awarded the national champs jersey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_International_Cycling_Classic

Zinoviev Letter said:
Nirvana said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Viviani is having a stunning season. He’s clever and versatile as well as fast. I’m not really sure how he pulled this one off though. He was dropped on a couple of the hillier stages at the Giro when Bennett hung on comfortably enough and his form was presumably better then. Pretty amazing that Pozzovivo and Visconti couldn’t get rid of him here. They should be clearly superior on that terrain.
In a circuit with only a 2 kms false flat and a 300 meters wall as climbs and wide open roads everywhere else it's impossible for Pozzovivo to make the difference.
With how the race unfolded the win was served on a silver plate to Viviani.

Ah, ok. I hadn’t looked at the profile and assumed, given that the biggest group in the top 30 plus riders at the finish was six guys, that there was a harder climb on the circuit. It’s not as shocking that Viviani could handle a couple of shallow kms and a 300 meter wall. How many times did they do it?
The final circuit of 33 kms four times.
I don't know what happened before but at the beginning of the second last lap there still was the "gruoppo compatto" behind the two men morning break then Bahrain stopped pulling and was free for all until a lot of riders simply give up (for this reason the peloton ended up at almost 12 minutes), it wasn't a selection forced by the circuit but by the total lack of control.
For me Viviani was more impressive two weeks ago in the Dward door het Hageland than yesterday, anyway since he stopped riding on the track he has improved sharply on short climbs and cobbles.

Armindo FONSECA, Maxime DANIEL, Romain HARDY (Fortuneo-Samsic), Valentin MADOUAS, Benjamin THOMAS, Romain SEIGLE, David GAUDU, Benoît VAUGRENARD, Bruno ARMIRAIL (Groupama-FDJ) Pierre IDJOUADIENE (Roubaix-Lille Métropole), Anthony MALDONADO (St-Michel-Auber 93), Jérôme COUSIN, Jonathan HIVERT, Paul OURSELIN, Damien GAUDIN, Bryan NAULEAU (Direct Energie), Cyril LEMOINE, Mathias LE TURNIER, Geoffrey SOUPE, Stéphane ROSSETTO (Cofidis), François BIDARD, Benoît COSNEFROY, Alexandre GENIEZ, Alexis VUILLERMOZ, Julien DUVAL (AG2R La Mondiale), Alexis GUÉRIN (Delko-Marseille KTM), Adrien GAREL, Justin MOTTIER, Marc FOURNIER, Kévin REZA, Erwann CORBEL (Vital Concept Cycling Club).

In France, they have 3:05 on the peloton.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Armindo FONSECA, Maxime DANIEL, Romain HARDY (Fortuneo-Samsic), Valentin MADOUAS, Benjamin THOMAS, Romain SEIGLE, David GAUDU, Benoît VAUGRENARD, Bruno ARMIRAIL (Groupama-FDJ) Pierre IDJOUADIENE (Roubaix-Lille Métropole), Anthony MALDONADO (St-Michel-Auber 93), Jérôme COUSIN, Jonathan HIVERT, Paul OURSELIN, Damien GAUDIN, Bryan NAULEAU (Direct Energie), Cyril LEMOINE, Mathias LE TURNIER, Geoffrey SOUPE, Stéphane ROSSETTO (Cofidis), François BIDARD, Benoît COSNEFROY, Alexandre GENIEZ, Alexis VUILLERMOZ, Julien DUVAL (AG2R La Mondiale), Alexis GUÉRIN (Delko-Marseille KTM), Adrien GAREL, Justin MOTTIER, Marc FOURNIER, Kévin REZA, Erwann CORBEL (Vital Concept Cycling Club).

In France, they have 3:05 on the peloton.
That sounds like a winning break. Quickstep don't have the manpower to chase it down. Maybe Vital Concept and Cofidis will help out.

Re:

RedheadDane said:

Error on PCS? She is listed as Irish in the Tour Series and Tour of Yorkshire rider listings, but apparentlywas in the (non qualifying) Irish Olympic team pursuit squad.

On the other hand, English (not NI) accent, and was funded by Sport England: I'd guess that, like myself (or Dan Martin), she is English born and raised to an Irish family, but with far stronger sense of being Irish than British.

Registration with a national cycling federation is much more simplistic than national identity.

DNP-Old said:
Baldinger said:
16 NOCENTINI Rinaldo

a blast from the past right there!
Only 16th? He was 3rd last year. The decline is on.
Nah, he's still young.
In January he was in scintillating form at the Tropicale, then he suffered from tendinitis during Algarve and was forced to stay some week off the bike. Probably he's building his form for the Volta now.

The one that he's really declining is grandpa Rebellin, nowadays he's able to do well only in Asian and African .2 races, last month he was blown off on his beloved Mur at the Tour of Belgium.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Van der Poel, what an absolute legend. If he ever decides to come over to the WorldTour he will crush them all. Best cyclist of an entire generation.

TRENDING THREADS