• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National championships June 2021

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know that apparently it's not that unusual for foreigners to participate in national championships, and we got this guy sneaking in.

Stinus Kaempe (procyclingstats.com)

Though, looks like he has some connection to Denmark, both his place of birth (Copenhagen), though that could simply be a matter of that being where his mother happened to be at the time, and the fact that 'Kaempe' looks very much like an English-version of 'Kæmpe'.

However, here's a question: From what I understand, Simon Carr holds double citizenship - both British and French - and since the British Championships have been postponed, there's really nothing preventing him from riding the French. What would happen in the - judging by his results, very unlikely - event that he won? Would he be the reigning champion, or can you only be the reigning champion in the country you actually represent?
Or what if there's a Liechtensteiner championship, and Küng won that? I'm pretty sure he'd win, because there aren't that many other Liechtensteiner pro cyclists, are there? Especially not any who can beat Mr. Stefan "Wins With Over Two Minutes Despite a Puncture" Küng.

And also... WTF is up with the rather random countries being included here?

ProCycling national champions 2021 (procyclingstats.com)

I have always wanted to know who's the national champion of the Holy See!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I know that apparently it's not that unusual for foreigners to participate in national championships, and we got this guy sneaking in.

Stinus Kaempe (procyclingstats.com)

Though, looks like he has some connection to Denmark, both his place of birth (Copenhagen), though that could simply be a matter of that being where his mother happened to be at the time, and the fact that 'Kaempe' looks very much like an English-version of 'Kæmpe'.

However, here's a question: From what I understand, Simon Carr holds double citizenship - both British and French - and since the British Championships have been postponed, there's really nothing preventing him from riding the French. What would happen in the - judging by his results, very unlikely - event that he won? Would he be the reigning champion, or can you only be the reigning champion in the country you actually represent?
Or what if there's a Liechtensteiner championship, and Küng won that? I'm pretty sure he'd win, because there aren't that many other Liechtensteiner pro cyclists, are there? Especially not any who can beat Mr. Stefan "Wins With Over Two Minutes Despite a Puncture" Küng.

And also... WTF is up with the rather random countries being included here?

ProCycling national champions 2021 (procyclingstats.com)

I have always wanted to know who's the national champion of the Holy See!

I don't really understand - don't you have to decide which country you are starting for?

I don't really understand - don't you have to decide which country you are starting for?

Obviously, it's unlikely that a Belgian rider would randomly go and start the Swiss Championships because of the whole "happening on the same day" issue. But since the Australian Championships happened back in February, there was nothing stopping Stinus from riding the Danish Championships (apart from the fact that now he won't be let back into Australia...)

Obviously, it's unlikely that a Belgian rider would randomly go and start the Swiss Championships because of the whole "happening on the same day" issue. But since the Australian Championships happened back in February, there was nothing stopping Stinus from riding the Danish Championships (apart from the fact that now he won't be let back into Australia...)

Okay, I would have thought there was some waiting period like in some other sports (or maybe there is, but it's rather short?)

• Wow
I think you need to represent the country in question in order to actually be crowned the Champion.
Yes, I think that makes sense. I don’t know about nowadays, but in previous decades foreign riders frequently participated in the US pro road championship and sometimes won. When that happened the highest placed US rider garnered the national title. I can understand that on this side of the water, there are so few high-level pro road races that riders from elsewhere would see it as a race to target.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the guy finished 6th in the +50km long WC ITT in 2013 at the age of 23 and he still finished 13th on a hillier route one year later.

He's always been a quirky guy. - For instance last year, he decided to ride from Copenhagen to Nordkapp in the north of Norway, with a road bike pulling a trailer...... that's a 2,400K ride.... and when he got there, he found it such a fun ride, that he decided to ride all the way back to Copenhagen again.

I honestly have no idea, but I would guess he was never going to fit into the disciplined lifestyle of a WT pro :)

EF really rules these time trials... did he wear one of these ridiculous helmets again?
If he did, then everyone's going to be wanting them soon.

At least, until the UCI ban them.

Edit; and it looks like yes. Yes he did.
YDTSZarCJpP4xxbEcPbJrX-970-80.jpg.webp

Last edited:
  • Haha

TRENDING THREADS