• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 618 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pretty weak flag at the finish but you can never let the Chiefs hang around on the scoreboard. The Eagles didn't get the points they needed in the second half.
True but they did get the stop they needed with time left in the game. Chiefs adjusted great at the half on both sides.

And the Eagles could have become one today…
No

The Gunslinger rules! 2 time SB MVP.

What a 2nd half performance - KC scored on every possession. Mahomes again showing that incredible toughness & perseverance on the re-injured ankle. Heck of a performance from Pacheco, the 7th rd rookie, rushing for 75 & a score. He took two very hard hits & shook them off. He's their #1 RB moving forward.

This is a dynasty in the making. As long as Mahomes stays healthy, the sky's the limit.

I predicted a walk-off FG - came close.

The fumble and the kick return were game changers.
Kick return helped more in time of possession in my opinion. It allowed Chiefs to score fast and left more time for them at the end. The way the game was going they were going to score. Just now maybe not enough time for their field goal or it’s further out. Fumble was a terrible oops but Eagles still had the benefit being in the lead and able to tire out Chiefs defense more. I’m happy none of the kickers fell on an attempt, that would have been a terrible way to end it t too. Players have been complaining about the field for awhile and they were slipping like crazy all game.

QBs usually win. No big deal. He played well when it mattered most. Contrats to him and the Chiefs on their second SB in a couple years.

While they did put up points, the Eagles didn't have what it took to actually win. I posted a few times I thought they were overrated, and I feel like that was cemented. Game went pretty much as I expected, except the Eagles did score some. Chiefs couldn't stop the short yardage runs was about all they couldn't do.

Last call was just lame. Really lame. Ended the game. But just to be clear, the Eagles didn't do anywhere near enough to win. But to have a game sealed on such a ticky-tacky call is so NFL 2022 season.
Colts have a new coach.
What an incredible blunder, to hire Steichen. We saw what the guy could (couldn't) do when a big game mattered most, and their team was completely out-coached by the Chiefs who did adapt, especially on offense, with their OC Eric Biemeny, who once again gets snubbed. But hey, the Colts interviewed him, so they abided by the Rooney rule. :persevere:

Only HC opening left is Arizona, and my understanding is they didn't even interview Biemeny.

Last edited:
Chiefs turning into the Patriots getting the calls going their way. Whole game goes without a holding call, even on some crazy runs and returns yet one is thrown on a ball no where near the receiver and no clear view of an actual hold. Great for them to win despite struggling in parts and with the injury and almost everyone saying it’s a rebuild year. Turning into a dynasty.
While that was on the light side, the receiver was not there because he was held (turned) so he couldn't get there (he was within two steps in the endzone). That turn move makes a 4.5 guy a 6. That's a little like holding in the trenches, it could be called on most plays. EDIT: Upon further review: he makes illegal contact with JuJu's right shoulder, and then turns JuJu's left hip with his left hand. IMO illegal contact should have been called, but either way its first down.

EDIT: Bradbury said post game: “It was a holding. I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide.”

Last edited:
While they did put up points, the Eagles didn't have what it took to actually win. I posted a few times I thought they were overrated, and I feel like that was cemented. Game went pretty much as I expected, except the Eagles did score some. Chiefs couldn't stop the short yardage runs was about all they couldn't do.

Last call was just lame. Really lame. Ended the game. But just to be clear, the Eagles didn't do anywhere near enough to win. But to have a game sealed on such a ticky-tacky call is so NFL 2022 season.

What an incredible blunder, to hire Steichen. We saw what the guy could (couldn't) do when a big game mattered most, and their team was completely out-coached by the Chiefs who did adapt, especially on offense, with their OC Eric Biemeny, who once again gets snubbed. But hey, the Colts interviewed him, so they abided by the Rooney rule. :persevere:

Only HC opening left is Arizona, and my understanding is they didn't even interview Biemeny.
Both teams did enough to win with Eagles even helping out on the fumble. Only thing Eagles offense just couldn’t do was run the ball and protect Hurts. Though Chiefs defense actually looked like they played the game.

It was nice of Reid to again shout out Eric at the end of the game but who knows how much it’ll do. Sharpe and Skip had brought up a good point of having all these interviews yet keeps getting passed over doesn’t look good…..

While that was on the light side, the receiver was not there because they were held (turned) so they couldn't get there. That turn move makes a 4.5 guy a 6. That's a little like holding in the trenches, it could be called on most plays.

Other than taking time off of the clock, does it change the outcome?
It would have been extremely close but he still had a way to go. That looked more like Mahomes threw it up as far as he could in either the receiver can get there or it’s incomplete.

Yes, it changes the whole game. Eagles would have had 1:40 left to score. I’d say we all think it’d be likely they score. Only way they don’t is if they went for it on fourth in field goal range in my opinion.

QBs usually win. No big deal. He played well when it mattered most. Contrats to him and the Chiefs on their second SB in a couple years.

Obviously the Cards are being avoided. Comments and behavior of the QB not helping in attracting a quality coach..............their roster is depleted and Kingsbury is taking the year off and not fielding any coaching enquiries.........none of this smells good for the organization..........

It would have been extremely close but he still had a way to go. That looked more like Mahomes threw it up as far as he could in either the receiver can get there or it’s incomplete.

Yes, it changes the whole game. Eagles would have had 1:40 left to score. I’d say we all think it’d be likely they score. Only way they don’t is if they went for it on fourth in field goal range in my opinion.
Re the edit and what he said, it depends on where the call was called. I thought it was called and was holding at 0:34 on the video but everyone and the announcers made it seem like it was the 0:37 when he went to run up the field. That one I can give the refs if they threw it for the 0:34.

View: https://youtu.be/3VR4dGqyCTk

Reactions: jmdirt

Ticky-tack? I thought it was on the light side until I watched several slow replays, and IMO illegal contact should have been called instead of holding, but either way its 1st down.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Both teams did enough to win with Eagles even helping out on the fumble. Only thing Eagles offense just couldn’t do was run the ball and protect Hurts. Though Chiefs defense actually looked like they played the game.

It was nice of Reid to again shout out Eric at the end of the game but who knows how much it’ll do. Sharpe and Skip had brought up a good point of having all these interviews yet keeps getting passed over doesn’t look good…..

After watching the replay several more times, I edit my post because even though the call was wrong, the correct call would have resulted in 1st down as well. If Bradbury doesn't make illegal contact and then turn JuJu, JuJu might have caught the ball in the endzone...6 points, that's why they have to make that call.

After watching the replay several more times, I edit my post because even though the call was wrong, the correct call would have resulted in 1st down as well. If Bradbury doesn't make illegal contact and then turn JuJu, JuJu might have caught the ball in the endzone...6 points, that's why they have to make that call.
6 points would have been nice and on the way to overtime potentially!!! One of these days we’ll get a Super Bowl double overtime.

Not to mention the blatant helmet to helmet on the sideline, the refs missed completely.
I thought they were letting a lot slide to let them play. Which in a way stinks when it gets down to the end. We all want the players to play but not having a flag not be thrown like with the Saints and Rams. On some games it feels like they give the players wiggle room until going by the book as close as they can at the end. Which in my opinion isn’t the way to do it either. Either call everything or let them play, and that’s what you call consistently.

Edwards-Helaire has been activated back to the roster from the IR. He & McKinnon are their best pass receiving backs. In fact, McKinnon is like a WR playing out of the backfield (catches everything & has sub-4.4 speed). I anticipate Pacheco getting most of the carries - and if he gets hot watch out Philly. And it looks like Pacheco, only a 7th rd pick (great size & speed), will probably supplant Edwards-Helaire, a 1st rd pick, as their #1 & primary RB moving forward. Edwards-Helaire has been disappointing missing significant time with injuries the last 2 yrs after a pretty solid rookie season.

I like KC in close one - maybe a late 4th qtr game winning TD or walk-off FG.
You called this perfectly. Pacheco was hitting the defenders HARD! Much was said about Mahomes spectacular play but IMO Pacheco had the D line frozen and somewhat convinced that Mahomes wouldn't run, particularly in the 2nd half. That he did was he and Bienemy creating some SB winning options and it was cool to see that creativity in the face of SB pressure. Most coaches get conservative and avoid mistakes instead of creating surprises. Loved this game and both teams showed everything they had.

Kick return helped more in time of possession in my opinion. It allowed Chiefs to score fast and left more time for them at the end. The way the game was going they were going to score. Just now maybe not enough time for their field goal or it’s further out. Fumble was a terrible oops but Eagles still had the benefit being in the lead and able to tire out Chiefs defense more. I’m happy none of the kickers fell on an attempt, that would have been a terrible way to end it t too. Players have been complaining about the field for awhile and they were slipping like crazy all game.
It did seem like the Eagles had more problems with field traction, even in the 2nd half. That'll mess with a running game; which Philly lacked.

It did seem like the Eagles had more problems with field traction, even in the 2nd half. That'll mess with a running game; which Philly lacked.
I’m not sure which team suffered more, I know Eagles changed their cleats and Hurts was running a lot better after the cleats were changed. But the rest of the Eagles were slipping. Same it seemed for the Chiefs. Mahomes even almost sacked himself slipping before going out on one of his runs. I think the drive was there second touchdown.

Don't forget about Toney's 65 yd punt return, longest in SB history, that set up a score. That was bad punt coverage by the Eagles letting Toney completely reverse field & turn the corner to the sideline.

Unfortunate situation with Bieniemy. And if you heard Reid - he said he's not going to retire anytime soon where Bieniemy could have been promoted.

I really enjoyed everything regardless of the outcome, the game was excellent. It's repeated over and over.. great players make big plays in big games, today's was the biggest game and some of the big plays made all the difference.. special teams..
I didn't get completely stomped because of the spread..
Nobody believes in Mahomes more than Mahomes ..for good reason.

For many people who watch lots of football, read about it and some of the minutia.. Andy Reed was praised as a coach, well deserved.
He also has endured a life of incredible tragedy and pain. I have read things from NFL players that are really really up against it.. and some of the counsel and advice Reed has given them in time of need described as life saving by some.
To see a life full of such out of this world highs and devastating lows is really inspirational.. the guy is really a hero..When Mahomes said that Andy Reed has taught him how to carry himself as a man, no reason to doubt it.
Someone had to lose
* got to see Rihanna and it was okay.. Don't think Prince has anything to worry about as far as halftime show epicness..* missed the Tesla (anti) commercial!!!

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt