• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 619 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kinda reminded me of the Chiefs previous SB win when the 49ers had a 10 point lead and looked comfortable but the Chiefs turned it around quickly late in the game and made the better adjustments in the second half. Shanahan was out coached that day. Chris Jones seemed to be giving it to his team mates about the defense late in the first half and just like the 49ers SB the Eagles let Mahomes scramble for some important first downs late in the game. When defenses get tired Mahomes tends to scramble more although he did take a hit on one scramble and was hopping around before half time and that is always the risk for QBs even more so for the smaller ones.

Last edited:
Some pretty amazing stats to come out of the game :

27 throws for Mahomes : 38 for Hurts
182 passing yards for Kansas : 302 for Eagles
158 rush yards for Kansas : 115 for Eagles
6.1 yards per run for Chiefs : 3.6 for Eagles
Mahomes averaged 7.3 yards per rush : Hurts averaged 4.7 yards.
Kansas committed 2 sacks : Eagles made 0
Kansas made 5 tackles for loss : Eagles made 1

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
6 points would have been nice and on the way to overtime potentially!!! One of these days we’ll get a Super Bowl double overtime.

I thought they were letting a lot slide to let them play. Which in a way stinks when it gets down to the end. We all want the players to play but not having a flag not be thrown like with the Saints and Rams. On some games it feels like they give the players wiggle room until going by the book as close as they can at the end. Which in my opinion isn’t the way to do it either. Either call everything or let them play, and that’s what you call consistently.
6 and likely 7 with the kick means that KC wins by 7 instead of 3. PHI didn't show much in the second half that would lead anyone to think that they could go 75 yards in 80 (ish) seconds.

EDIT: Their other Q4 score took 4 min to go 75 yards.

Last edited:
6 points would have been nice and on the way to overtime potentially!!! One of these days we’ll get a Super Bowl double overtime.

I thought they were letting a lot slide to let them play. Which in a way stinks when it gets down to the end. We all want the players to play but not having a flag not be thrown like with the Saints and Rams. On some games it feels like they give the players wiggle room until going by the book as close as they can at the end. Which in my opinion isn’t the way to do it either. Either call everything or let them play, and that’s what you call consistently.
Either call everything or let them play, and that’s what you call consistently.
This is something that I harp on all season, and especially in the playoffs. Call the game the same way Q1-Q4, and game 1 through SB the same. I dislike "its the playoffs, let them play". Bradbury had a worse PI/holding/illegal contact in the first half that wasn't called so he 'knew' what he could get away with...until he couldn't. If there is any complaint in this call its that the officials set Bradberry up with a false expectation.

This is something that I harp on all season, and especially in the playoffs. Call the game the same way Q1-Q4, and game 1 through SB the same. I dislike "its the playoffs, let them play". Bradbury had a worse PI/holding/illegal contact in the first half that wasn't called so he 'knew' what he could get away with...until he couldn't. If there is any complaint in this call its that the officials set Bradberry up with a false expectation.
I know I've disagreed with that in basketball, or at least said it doesn't bother me too much, but I agree for contact sports.

6 and likely 7 with the kick means that KC wins by 7 instead of 3. PHI didn't show much in the second half that would lead anyone to think that they could go 75 yards in 80 (ish) seconds.

EDIT: Their other Q4 score took 4 min to go 75 yards.
We’ve seen plenty of games this year of it not looking like it could happen and it turns out to be true. We didn’t see for two quarters that Chiefs offense showed up. Previous time possessions is irrelevant when their game plan was to have long, time killing drives leading to scores, which was successful. It would have been 90 seconds against prevent defense with a quarterback that can pick up chunk plays.

Yes, unless some other player on the wining team has a standout performance, the QB wins MVP. IMO, PM lead the O well so MPV is fitting.
Veru
Yes, unless some other player on the wining team has a standout performance, the QB wins MVP. IMO, PM lead the O well so MPV is fitting.
Very true - QBs have been named MVP in 31 SBs (54%).

Interestingly, the last defense player to be named MVP was Vonn Miller in SB 50 (poor performance by Peyton Manning in Denver's win over Carolina). The last RB goes way to back to SB 32 where Terrell Davis took the honors in Denver's win over GB.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Nine flags in the entire game. They let so much go and then give one when it matters. Goodelll says there is nothing wrong with the officiating, it's actually getting better ! Other sports have had fulltime refs or umpires for years and make "full" use of the technology available. 49ers didn't even get to see all of the replays for the Eagles first TD last week.
The ones they let go also affected the game, and had they been called, might have meant that the one in Q4 didn't really matter.

Bad call or not, the Eagles had plenty of chances and didn't capitalize. Anyone could create a big list. The punt return. The Eagles failure to adapt in the second half. Eagles failure to keep running the ball consistently in the second half. Eagles offense lacked a sense of urgency and importance in the 2nd half. Eagles front 7 unable to stop the Chiefs running the ball. Eagles vaunted front 4 unable to put much pressure on Mahomes. Eagles defense being stuck out on the field in the 4th quarter - something they had to have desperately wanted to avoid. Eagles blitzing Mahomes late, and getting burned by him. But a lot of this is credit the Chiefs. Their OL did a fantastic job for example. They made few if any mistakes all game.

Movingtarget compared this to the Chiefs beating the 49ers, and coaching in that game. I think that's a good comparison.

By the way I saw the smartest man in Pro Football today...not at the game. John Schneider was skiing at Sun Valley on a gorgeous day. Good move rather than hanging out for two days in that circus.
Snubbed on executive of the year. Though I get the feeling he doesn't care that much.
I know that Alpe is happy about the crappy grass conditions, but I will give a massive thumbs down to the field crew for poor field prep.
Please do not put words in my mouth. I, like the players, prefer games on grass for several reasons. There have been plenty of games - as in the vast majority of them - that have been played on grass all year without a single problem, for years and years on end. That's the type of game I want. While watching old school games in the mud can be amusing to watch, and I have heard several times linemen don't mind it much, or snow, or rain, or cold really, I never said it was ideal, or that I was "happy" about poor field conditions. This wasn't an issue of mother nature trashing the field, and humans adapting to that by nature. It was a result of poor work by the grounds crew, which indeed is not acceptable.

It would be like me responding saying your solution of having all games in domes with turf is no solution at all, and we might as well watch Arena football, or the NBA.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Bad call or not, the Eagles had plenty of chances and didn't capitalize. Anyone could create a big list. The punt return. The Eagles failure to adapt in the second half. Eagles failure to keep running the ball consistently in the second half. Eagles offense lacked a sense of urgency and importance in the 2nd half. Eagles front 7 unable to stop the Chiefs running the ball. Eagles vaunted front 4 unable to put much pressure on Mahomes. Eagles defense being stuck out on the field in the 4th quarter - something they had to have desperately wanted to avoid. Eagles blitzing Mahomes late, and getting burned by him. But a lot of this is credit the Chiefs. Their OL did a fantastic job for example. They made few if any mistakes all game.

Movingtarget compared this to the Chiefs beating the 49ers, and coaching in that game. I think that's a good comparison.

Snubbed on executive of the year. Though I get the feeling he doesn't care that much.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I, like the players, prefer games on grass for several reasons. There have been plenty of games - as in the vast majority of them - that have been played on grass all year without a single problem, for years and years on end. That's the type of game I want. While watching old school games in the mud can be amusing to watch, and I have heard several times linemen don't mind it much, or snow, or rain, or cold really, I never said it was ideal, or that I was "happy" about poor field conditions. This wasn't an issue of mother nature trashing the field, and humans adapting to that by nature. It was a result of poor work by the grounds crew, which indeed is not acceptable.

It would be like me responding saying your solution of having all games in domes with turf is no solution at all, and we might as well watch Arena football, or the NBA.
I want all games indoors on (well prepared ) grass so you missed me there. EDIT: NBA?

How is a man made slippery field any different than a nature made slippery field? They have the exact same effect.

EDIT: You can't insist that games be played outside in poor condition and then say that you don't really like poor conditions. You and I have had this banter for several years, but now you're confusing me.

Last edited:
To make your point clearer: James Bradley confirmed he pulled Schuster's jersey and hoped not to get the call. He was beat on the route and if he hadn't gotten the flag; Schuster would've scored. His Def Coordinator would have killed him for letting it happen. It was still up to the NFL's "best D" to prevent the score; whatever it would be.
That KC's runners were disciplined enough to take a knee instead of an easy, and too early TD and run the clock down showed complete discipline.
In the end Bradley had to try to prevent the TD, KC had to try not to score too early. Very weird end to a great game but those two plays clinched the game.

Last edited:
View: https://youtu.be/mq5aCr5nD9E

Chiefs should be favorites and I like their chances to repeat. They changed a lot on their offensive play calling and came out with some great routes/play calls. Mahomes and the offense started showing they can play without the mistakes in a grinding fashion and the defense is improving. A lot more confident in them winning AFC next year then this time previously. Another question would be how long they can keep up dominating the AFCW at a rate we haven’t seen even by Packers, Colts, or Patriots. AFC shaping up to be Mahomes in Brady’s position, Burrow in Mannings, and Allen and Herbert in Rivers. My only concern for Mahomes is the injuries.

Reactions: jmdirt
I want all games indoors on (well prepared ) grass so you missed me there. EDIT: NBA?

How is a man made slippery field any different than a nature made slippery field? They have the exact same effect.

EDIT: You can't insist that games be played outside in poor condition and then say that you don't really like poor conditions. You and I have had this banter for several years, but now you're confusing me.
I can understand your point of view without agreeing with it.I love the mud games and the snow games even the windy games. even if it does add a lottery aspect to the conditions and other teams may never get the same conditions if they don't play the northern teams during the season. I think it just adds to the entertainment and spectacle. I'd argue every day of the week that referees alter results more than field conditions and at least the field conditions are the same for both teams but of course a change in conditions can also help the team with points on the board re a sudden storm etc........but how often does that happen ? Would like to see all games on natural grass but in colder locations field prep becomes more problematic in the growing and the maintaining. Cards field have their own methods of prep but of course they are not in a cold climate. Couple of fields in the league seem to have worse reputations for playing on than others. Jets field for one and the 49ers field for a while there had issues. Seems to be better now although I noticed in the playoffs that the field seemed to be shedding grass more than normal but it didn't seem slippery and no one was complaining.

Chiefs should be favorites and I like their chances to repeat. They changed a lot on their offensive play calling and came out with some great routes/play calls. Mahomes and the offense started showing they can play without the mistakes in a grinding fashion and the defense is improving. A lot more confident in them winning AFC next year then this time previously. Another question would be how long they can keep up dominating the AFCW at a rate we haven’t seen even by Packers, Colts, or Patriots. AFC shaping up to be Mahomes in Brady’s position, Burrow in Mannings, and Allen and Herbert in Rivers. My only concern for Mahomes is the injuries.
Chiefs have certainly been consistent in the past five years or so. Eagles like the 49ers have a lot of free agents about to be looking for contracts and also have stars to pay.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt

I think as long as the Gunslinger can stay healthy they'll not only dominate the West but the entire AFC for years to come - I see a few more SBs with this team. Mahomes is a playmaker, a leader & arguably the best QB in the league. We haven't seen this kind of talent & playmaking ability in decades. Reid calls him "Superman" & says all he has to do watch him execute the plays.

The offense looks good moving forward. Kelce has a few more years left in him. Smith-Schuster can catch the ball & make plays (who needs Hill. Lol). McKinnon is one of the best pass receiving RBs in the league & could actually be moved to WR. And Pacheco, the unknown 7th rounder, looks to be a solid #1 RB giving the Chiefs a ground game that's going to make Mahomes even more dangerous off of play-action.

But you said it spot-on: The concern is the injuries. And staying healthy as a NFL starting QB is becoming a big challenge in this era.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Way too early thoughts for 2023 season:
  • Chiefs will still be very good. But won't repeat. Injuries, like all teams, will play a factor.
  • Mahomes will repeat at MVP.
  • Chargers will appear as a serious threat to KC next year.
  • Eagles won't win their division, finishing maybe 9-8, a year filled with frustration.
  • Dallas will NFC East, but lose in WC game. Jerry Jones will need to be taken to the hospital after the game.
  • Bills will win finally the Super Bowl, after a flat 4-3 start to the season.
  • Patriots will win 11 games, with a punishing defense.
  • Jets will look good early, then really disappoint, just miss the playoffs, again.
  • Lions will win NFC North. Barely, with a few bad games, but they will.
  • Steelers will challenge Bengals for AFC North. Pickett will have a very impressive year.
  • Tom Brady will flirt with coming back, but stay retired.
  • Titans will bounce back, but Jags still win AFC South.
  • Washington will be sold to Jeff Bezos in a flash sale, but go 7-10.
  • Packers will try hard to trade Aaron Rodgers, but won't be able to. They'll finish 7-10 also.
  • After an Altered States contemplative retreat one year from today, Aaron Rodgers retires.
  • Derek Carr will sign with New Orleans to much fanfare. But throw just as many bad interceptions there.
  • SF will start Lance, and after going 3-3, bench him for some minor injury, after which Purdy will take over and lead them to the Super Bowl.
  • Seattle will finish 8-9, disappointing many. Geno will still play well though.
  • Raiders will finish 7-10 after a lot of hype, and Mark Davis will fire everyone yet again.
  • Denver will "improve" to 8-9, but Wilson won't much, and after the season Payton will cut him.
  • Wilson will then sign with either the Jets or Giants, so Ciara can finally be happy.
  • No rookie QB drafted will play that well.
  • Arizona will finish 1-16. Kyler Murray will demand a trade. Somewhere Josh Rosen will smile.

Way too early thoughts for 2023 season:
  • Chiefs will still be very good. But won't repeat. Injuries, like all teams, will play a factor.
  • Mahomes will repeat at MVP.
  • Chargers will appear as a serious threat to KC next year.
  • Eagles won't win their division, finishing maybe 9-8, a year filled with frustration.
  • Dallas will NFC East, but lose in WC game. Jerry Jones will need to be taken to the hospital after the game.
  • Bills will win finally the Super Bowl, after a flat 4-3 start to the season.
  • Patriots will win 11 games, with a punishing defense.
  • Jets will look good early, then really disappoint, just miss the playoffs, again.
  • Lions will win NFC North. Barely, with a few bad games, but they will.
  • Steelers will challenge Bengals for AFC North. Pickett will have a very impressive year.
  • Tom Brady will flirt with coming back, but stay retired.
  • Titans will bounce back, but Jags still win AFC South.
  • Washington will be sold to Jeff Bezos in a flash sale, but go 7-10.
  • Packers will try hard to trade Aaron Rodgers, but won't be able to. They'll finish 7-10 also.
  • After an Altered States contemplative retreat one year from today, Aaron Rodgers retires.
  • Derek Carr will sign with New Orleans to much fanfare. But throw just as many bad interceptions there.
  • SF will start Lance, and after going 3-3, bench him for some minor injury, after which Purdy will take over and lead them to the Super Bowl.
  • Seattle will finish 8-9, disappointing many. Geno will still play well though.
  • Raiders will finish 7-10 after a lot of hype, and Mark Davis will fire everyone yet again.
  • Denver will "improve" to 8-9, but Wilson won't much, and after the season Payton will cut him.
  • Wilson will then sign with either the Jets or Giants, so Ciara can finally be happy.
  • No rookie QB drafted will play that well.
  • Arizona will finish 1-16. Kyler Murray will demand a trade. Somewhere Josh Rosen will smile.
Lots of possibles and lots of funnies but this is the best:
After an Altered States contemplative retreat one year from today, Aaron Rodgers retires.

I can understand your point of view without agreeing with it.I love the mud games and the snow games even the windy games. even if it does add a lottery aspect to the conditions and other teams may never get the same conditions if they don't play the northern teams during the season. I think it just adds to the entertainment and spectacle. I'd argue every day of the week that referees alter results more than field conditions and at least the field conditions are the same for both teams but of course a change in conditions can also help the team with points on the board re a sudden storm etc........but how often does that happen ? Would like to see all games on natural grass but in colder locations field prep becomes more problematic in the growing and the maintaining. Cards field have their own methods of prep but of course they are not in a cold climate. Couple of fields in the league seem to have worse reputations for playing on than others. Jets field for one and the 49ers field for a while there had issues. Seems to be better now although I noticed in the playoffs that the field seemed to be shedding grass more than normal but it didn't seem slippery and no one was complaining.
The halftime show prep created alot of damage. It's unlikely the grounds crew could do much more with it but this should cue the NFL to prioritize the playing conditions more.

Latest posts