• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 628 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think that he is too expensive, but has the potential to make a lot of tackles, and lead the D:

Not good enough (or durable enough) for the asking price anymore IMO:

If you think Carr is a "cry baby" and thus will be a bad quarterback, I can only wonder what you think about so very many other players in the NFL that cause trouble, headaches, PED issues, contract demands, spend time in darkness rooms and drinks ayahuasca tea, etc. Then there's all the anti-vaxxers. Carr is one of the very best human beings in the league and I would think any team would be happy to have him be part of their locker room. Yes, he got emotional a few times when losing, I don't mind that at all, in fact, I'll take that any day over someone like Kyler Murray who would rather play video games that study playbooks and film. And if you are saying Andy Dalton is a better QB, I guess we'll see how that plays out in 2023. One stat no one seems to mention about Carr when saying he never won a playoff game or other flaws is that in his 9 seasons on the Raiders the best defense they ever had was ranked 20th, a year they went 12-4, and he broke his leg in the last game of the season and couldn't play in the playoffs. Carr also had a carousel of coaches and OCs his entire career on a dysfunctional team with little stability. This will be Saints OC Pete Carmichael's 14th season with the Saints, just as a comparison.
Here you go again: Why do you continue to insult your football intelligence? Carr is a bad QB because Davis got rid of him. If it wasn't his fault for the demise of the team, Davis would have kept him & instead blamed McDaniels booting him & keeping Carr as his franchise QB.

Let's look at the numbers: Carr is a sad 63-79 in 9 seasons with only 2 winning seasons (12-4 & 10-7). He has no playoff wins with just one appearance. He's amongst the league leaders in picks the last 2 seasons with 28. Last season he had the league's leading rusher with Jacobs, the talented Devante Adams & the hotshot McDaniels at the helm - and the Raiders could only muster 6 wins? Lol.

Clearly this move by New Orleans is one of desperation (desperate men take desperate measures). They could have stuck with bargain blowout Dalton, who I think isn't any worse than Carr but comes at a fraction of the price. Furthermore, they could have given Winston another shot at a full season since he missed virtually all of last year with that fractured back. And I realize the Saints only draft 28th (they traded their 10th OA to Philly), so there will be no top QB prospect available by that time. But please....Derek Carr? :eek:

With Murray, I agree with you on his performance. He's treading bust territory with 4 seasons under his belt. He's a dismal 25-31-1 with a one & done playoff appearance. As a #1 OA, he's not leading the team to the promised land like Joe Burrow has already done in just 2 seasons. Playing video games & not studying film is not only going to hurt his performance but compromise his leadership responsibilities & set a bad example for the younger players on the team. Maybe he doesn't care & if he eventually gets cut or traded maybe he'll go play baseball? (Murray was drafted 9th OA in the 2018 MLB draft by the A's who retain his rights). But unlike the situation with the Raiders, Bidwell is blaming Kingsbury for Murray's & the team's demise. We'll see if this new coach (who Murray had input on) can perform any miracles.

You're absolutely right - we'll have to see how this plays out in this season. I think the metric would be that Carr not only needs to take the Saints to the playoffs but at least win one game. For Murray, it's also not only playoffs but a deep run to at least the championship game. Expectations are much higher for Murray with that #1 OA price tag.

Last edited:
I'll be really surprised if Arizona makes the playoffs. Like, shocked. Team lacks many positions, new coach, in a tough division, and I have almost no faith in Murray changing the way he plays, or his attitude. Agree on the metric about Carr. He's now the best QB in that division (which is devoid of QBs!), so anything short of a division win, which means they host a playoff game at home, and he at least hast to really perform well in that playoff game even if they lose. So, we'll see.

Theilen released by Vikings. Titans released center Ben Jones. Dak's contract re-structured.

Brock Purdy finally had surgery, not TJ. He'll be able to throw by camp, barely, but I fully expect the 49ers to play the "safe healing" card with Purdy, to see what Lance can do, and unless there's another issue, Lance will be the designated starter week 1. I just don't know the kid has it.

I'm starting to believe experience, and what's between your ears, is undervalued in QBs, vs. raw, physical talent that so many scouts and coaches get attached to. In this light, it will be interesting to see how Stroud, Duggan, Hooker play next pre-season/season vs. Richardson and Levis. Significantly more attempts, even in 2022 alone, certainly than AR. I'd add Bennett to this of guys who threw a lot, but off field issues make me think twice.

I think the risk for OBJ is much higher than the potential reward. Reading media article on him reporters still talk like now that he's recovered from tearing his ACL, he'll be 99.9% the player he was on the Giants. He did make some very good catches playing for the Rams, two years ago, but that team was loaded with talent. That would not be the case in AZ, or most other places he's likely to land. The guy is also an egotistical headcase. If you haven't watched his entitled zombie routine on that airplane, well, don't, it's not worth your time. Just picture yourself on that plane, wondering wtf is going on up in first class for a half hour, then hear some guy mumble "I'll just catch a private jet, see ya." As he finally walks off.

DAL is talking with OBJ and Hopkins...why the H didn't they just keep Cooper?

I like Graham staying in PHI even though he could have gotten a few more MIL elsewhere.

NO is trying to keep Jams (reworking his extension). He would be wise to stay IMO unless he thinks that he will get a starting job somewhere.

Thielen not in MIN?! He has played for MIN teams since he was Jr tackle! His price tag is too high for what his production will likely be, but he would be great to have in the receiver room.

Reactions: movingtarget
I'll be really surprised if Arizona makes the playoffs. Like, shocked. Team lacks many positions, new coach, in a tough division, and I have almost no faith in Murray changing the way he plays, or his attitude. Agree on the metric about Carr. He's now the best QB in that division (which is devoid of QBs!), so anything short of a division win, which means they host a playoff game at home, and he at least hast to really perform well in that playoff game even if they lose. So, we'll see.

Theilen released by Vikings. Titans released center Ben Jones. Dak's contract re-structured.

Brock Purdy finally had surgery, not TJ. He'll be able to throw by camp, barely, but I fully expect the 49ers to play the "safe healing" card with Purdy, to see what Lance can do, and unless there's another issue, Lance will be the designated starter week 1. I just don't know the kid has it.

I'm starting to believe experience, and what's between your ears, is undervalued in QBs, vs. raw, physical talent that so many scouts and coaches get attached to. In this light, it will be interesting to see how Stroud, Duggan, Hooker play next pre-season/season vs. Richardson and Levis. Significantly more attempts, even in 2022 alone, certainly than AR. I'd add Bennett to this of guys who threw a lot, but off field issues make me think twice.

I think the risk for OBJ is much higher than the potential reward. Reading media article on him reporters still talk like now that he's recovered from tearing his ACL, he'll be 99.9% the player he was on the Giants. He did make some very good catches playing for the Rams, two years ago, but that team was loaded with talent. That would not be the case in AZ, or most other places he's likely to land. The guy is also an egotistical headcase. If you haven't watched his entitled zombie routine on that airplane, well, don't, it's not worth your time. Just picture yourself on that plane, wondering wtf is going on up in first class for a half hour, then hear some guy mumble "I'll just catch a private jet, see ya." As he finally walks off.
Thielen's role changed. He used to be like Kupp for the Vikings. Seeing less of the ball now. He will find a spot but probably for less money. He would kill on a team like Kansas but they don't need him.

The Cards have no chance of making the playoffs. Watt retired, they had already lost Chandler Jones, they are going to shop Hopkins, the QB won't do his homework and seems to have already split the locker room not to mention his mounting injuries. They are basically starting from scratch with a rookie head coach and no name players or not enough of them. Any betting agency will have them at 200-1 to make the playoffs. They are a team firmly on the rebuild like the Texans.

Carr has an opportunity at the Saints especially if they add more talent on offense.

I am more confident about Purdy than Lance but Lance gets his opportunity now without the distraction of Jimmy G talk. Now or never for him otherwise he will be traded for virtually nothing compared to his cost and only a desperate team would take him based on the first four games. He needs rapid progress after Purdy showed what he can do over 8 or so games. If there are no takers the 49ers will just release him and it will go down as one of the worst draft trades ever. 49ers seriously have to settle the QB position otherwise they are going to be just another loaded team that couldn't crack the SB. The constant jumping from one QB to another won't get it done. If Purdy's arm heals well I expect he will return with full backing from the coach unless Lance does something he has showed no signs of doing so far re confidently running the offense. He should find it easier with CMC in the team now.

Well, the MegaDeal is done. Carolina gave up half the farm to get the top pick in the draft, and that guy is...? They gave up this year's #1 pick (ninth-overall), their 2nd round pick they got from SF at #61 overall. Plus their 1st round pick in 2024. Their 2nd round pick in 2025 also. Oh, and the Bears also get the Panthers best receiver DJ Moore. An incredible haul for just one guy. A guy who has never played in the NFL. A QB who is being drafted in a year that months ago most any expert told you wasn't a top year for QBs. And a guy who won't have much anyone to throw to. Place everything on 00, and spin the wheel...

We were posting at the same time. I agree with Damien, slam dunk for the Bears.

Good posts from y'all.
DAL is talking with OBJ and Hopkins...why the H didn't they just keep Cooper?
That's a good question. I went back and looked at the trade. It seems like a wash now between them and Cleveland, except Cooper making $19m a year. Hopkins is already at $20m a year, which is maybe the top for all WR in the NFL. Sportac lists OBJ's market value at $13m, that seems really high to me, but their numbers are what the think teams will pay for, not any other evaluation. Numbers only. Crazy money.
I like Graham staying in PHI even though he could have gotten a few more MIL elsewhere.
Mike Florio and Peter King were talking about contracts like this that are team friendly, but where the player still gets plenty of cash. They brought up how Brady did this most of his career, in order to win SB. They didn't single him out, but Aaron Rodgers has done about the opposite.
NO is trying to keep Jams (reworking his extension). He would be wise to stay IMO unless he thinks that he will get a starting job somewhere.
The only issue is that Carr is one of the more durable QBs in the NFL. It may benefit him to see where the dust settles, and try to land somewhere that he has a better chance of playing as a back-up. He's not worth the $12m though he would have been due if they extended him. So it's going to be interesting. Anyone remember when he and Mariota went 1-2 in the draft?
The Cards have no chance of making the playoffs...Any betting agency will have them at 200-1 to make the playoffs. They are a team firmly on the rebuild like the Texans.
Agree. Good post. Murry is going to have to come back and presuming he plays a good 10 games, really show his worth, or the team is going to really spiral downhill in 2024, figuring out what to do with him. That's when the total rebuild would start. Will be interesting to see what happens with Hopkins also.
I am more confident about Purdy than Lance but Lance gets his opportunity now without the distraction of Jimmy G talk. Now or never for him otherwise he will be traded for virtually nothing compared to his cost and only a desperate team would take him based on the first four games. He needs rapid progress after Purdy showed what he can do over 8 or so games. If there are no takers the 49ers will just release him and it will go down as one of the worst draft trades ever. 49ers seriously have to settle the QB position otherwise they are going to be just another loaded team that couldn't crack the SB. The constant jumping from one QB to another won't get it done. If Purdy's arm heals well I expect he will return with full backing from the coach unless Lance does something he has showed no signs of doing so far re confidently running the offense. He should find it easier with CMC in the team now.
From all I've seen, Purdy is the answer. I would think someone would give something for Lance, even if he doesn't really have it. This is one of those examples of what I was saying earlier about experience vs. lack there of.

Well, the MegaDeal is done. Carolina gave up half the farm to get the top pick in the draft, and that guy is...? They gave up this year's #1 pick (ninth-overall), their 2nd round pick they got from SF at #61 overall. Plus their 1st round pick in 2024. Their 2nd round pick in 2025 also. Oh, and the Bears also get the Panthers best receiver DJ Moore. An incredible haul for just one guy. A guy who has never played in the NFL. A QB who is being drafted in a year that months ago most any expert told you wasn't a top year for QBs. And a guy who won't have much anyone to throw to. Place everything on 00, and spin the wheel...

We were posting at the same time. I agree with Damien, slam dunk for the Bears.

Good posts from y'all.

That's a good question. I went back and looked at the trade. It seems like a wash now between them and Cleveland, except Cooper making $19m a year. Hopkins is already at $20m a year, which is maybe the top for all WR in the NFL. Sportac lists OBJ's market value at $13m, that seems really high to me, but their numbers are what the think teams will pay for, not any other evaluation. Numbers only. Crazy money.

Mike Florio and Peter King were talking about contracts like this that are team friendly, but where the player still gets plenty of cash. They brought up how Brady did this most of his career, in order to win SB. They didn't single him out, but Aaron Rodgers has done about the opposite.

The only issue is that Carr is one of the more durable QBs in the NFL. It may benefit him to see where the dust settles, and try to land somewhere that he has a better chance of playing as a back-up. He's not worth the $12m though he would have been due if they extended him. So it's going to be interesting. Anyone remember when he and Mariota went 1-2 in the draft?

Agree. Good post. Murry is going to have to come back and presuming he plays a good 10 games, really show his worth, or the team is going to really spiral downhill in 2024, figuring out what to do with him. That's when the total rebuild would start. Will be interesting to see what happens with Hopkins also.

From all I've seen, Purdy is the answer. I would think someone would give something for Lance, even if he doesn't really have it. This is one of those examples of what I was saying earlier about experience vs. lack there of.
Unbelievable haul for the Bears, what are the Panthers thinking ? Scorched earth policy but don't just give it all away ! Maybe the Bears were playing hardball and they should have been after the fiasco of trading up to get Trubisky, a few drafts ago ! Bears the definite winners this time and they got talented players as well ! The Panthers GM is all in and he really wants that QB. Good luck.........as we know what the strike rate for first round QBs is like.........

Reactions: jmdirt
Unbelievable haul for the Bears, what are the Panthers thinking ? Scorched earth policy but don't just give it all away ! Maybe the Bears were playing hardball and they should have been after the fiasco of trading up to get Trubisky, a few drafts ago ! Bears the definite winners this time and they got talented players as well ! The Panthers GM is all in and he really wants that QB. Good luck.........as we know what the strike rate for first round QBs is like.........
...with a leaky O line and who to throw to...

Anyone remember when he and Mariota went 1-2 in the draft?
I still think that Jams had what it took to be a top five QB1 in the NFL. He had a solid rookie season, and remember the year that he threw for 5,000+ yards (granted he had 25ish INTs too)? His completion % has always been 60% ish. His QB rating hasn't been great due to throwing it to the wrong team top much. He needed a "that" receiver, and a better guide on the sideline. Injuries, both small and big have plagued him too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez

Floyd is good, but is a 30 year old LB worth that money? Can they get two young, hungry guys who can have the same impact for a fraction of the cost?

Reactions: movingtarget
I still think that Jams had what it took to be a top five QB1 in the NFL. He had a solid rookie season, and remember the year that he threw for 5,000+ yards (granted he had 25ish INTs too)? His completion % has always been 60% ish. His QB rating hasn't been great due to throwing it to the wrong team top much. He needed a "that" receiver, and a better guide on the sideline. Injuries, both small and big have plagued him too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
Winston has a bad back which is going to be a challenge moving forward. QBs with a bad back is a bad combination - just go ask Tony Romo.

KC, BUF, NE, NYG, BAL, plus at OBJ workout.

MIA signs Tua's 5th year option.
No surprise but one more concussion will probably be a career ender.

I think we can put Carolina and Denver in the category of what are you thinking? Denver has given up the same if not more (don't remember all the picks they've given up in 2 years for Wilson and Payton) than Carolina just gave up for a draft pick.

I get why NO went after and signed Carr. That actually makes some sense. I also get the NY Giants getting Daniel Jones signed and putting Barkley on a franchise tag, and then work on a long term deal for him.

I didn't know Winston's back was that messed up. That's not good at all.

I'm thinking OBJ signs with either the NYG or Baltimore. But I agree he seems like he's one injury from the end of the line.

I keep thinking NO maybe overpaid for Carr, NY for Jones, and a few more players, then I Iook at Kyler Murray's contract. $39m this year, $39m next year, and if he doesn't pan out and they want to release him? It would be a dead cap hit of $81m then! 2025 doesn't get a whole lot better, $33m cash, 2026 is $42m, and yes, he's signed through 2027 at $36m. 2028 is an option for $48m. They are basically married to the guy, and like Nomad said, this is the kind of deal where the team is expecting him to take them deep into the playoffs, maybe the Super Bowl. I never once got the feeling the guy was that good. Maybe before he was drafted. That's it.

Now look at the deal Seattle signed Geno to...

Reactions: jmdirt
I didn't know Winston's back was that messed up. That's not good at all.

I'm thinking OBJ signs with either the NYG or Baltimore. But I agree he seems like he's one injury from the end of the line.

I keep thinking NO maybe overpaid for Carr, NY for Jones, and a few more players, then I Iook at Kyler Murray's contract. $39m this year, $39m next year, and if he doesn't pan out and they want to release him? It would be a dead cap hit of $81m then! 2025 doesn't get a whole lot better, $33m cash, 2026 is $42m, and yes, he's signed through 2027 at $36m. 2028 is an option for $48m. They are basically married to the guy, and like Nomad said, this is the kind of deal where the team is expecting him to take them deep into the playoffs, maybe the Super Bowl. I never once got the feeling the guy was that good. Maybe before he was drafted. That's it.

Now look at the deal Seattle signed Geno to...
Seattle know that if they didn'y pay Geno he would have received about the same elsewhere after the season he just had. The Jones and Carr contracts put some perspective on the current QB market. Even the best back ups now can make good money. Mariota was getting up to 16 mill as a back up before he went to the Falcons Pretty good money for non starters. The Murray contract is looking horrific so far..........the Dak contract not much better........but I think he restructured recently. Teams won't spend on OBJ anymore with his injury history. The best he can hope for is an incentive heavy contract with bonus payments. He wasn't outstanding for the Rams but he was useful after Woods got injured then traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Love Bears moves!!
And again just an opinion.. I think that the New York Jets are the equivalent of a quarterback catbox.
.Testaverde,
Sanchez,
Geno Smith escaped after brushing all the cat litter off!
Chad "I was picked way before Brady" Pennington,
Brett" dic@ pic" Favre,
the house of Zach Wilson fell in on itself, crumbled.
Just don't know what all that sounds like.. Agent to Player, coach,owner, front office.. What could the Jets say to anyone of quality other than here's your signing bonus and we have great pizza..