• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Sure loser; (Survival had Indy, KC & TEN so far) PHI.

My best pick so far... and we got to see the game on TV over here. Superb!

I never lost confidence during the game. It got even better: Explaining Football to US & Canadian citizens once more :D :
Down 10-21; I boldly predicted & bet for (and later won one beer on the wager; was another heck of a night all together) that PHI will lose this game.

Since PHI scored no less than 3 TDS (!!!) on random plays, I said they won´t win. It´s just going to regress, PHI can´t move the ball vs SF + Kaep isn´t a 2nd half choker only b/c SF had 3 games with problems to score in ther 2nd half, that the whole thing will even out over the course of the season, starting "no later than tonight"... I solely blamed the lack of non 2nd half scoring on Harbaugh being conservative :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hard times here in the Crescent City. No words to describe how bad last nights performance was.

I did notice out in the garden district over the weekend some very clever sign's with regards to Roooooger Goddddell.

One was in reference to a Creole/Cajun spice company called "Slap ya Mama" and during the Preseason local coverage "Slap ya Mama" is one of the proud sponsors of the Saints. So since the logo for the company is mostly Red. They used them for the Red zone on the Television coverage (digital display on the tv with red colored in and the words Slap ya Mama on it). The NFL made them take that off the coverage for the games. So in true spirit some banners were created and are flying proudly in and around the city. They say "If you can't Slap ya Mama ----Slap Roger Godell!" :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Foxxy´s-HFA+™ prevailed... yet again :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Coming week picks: All home, so IND will be still alone (as away pick this season)...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Completely missed that. Thanks for putting it up.

So I pick the "away" team. Will be my 2nd this season...

9/13 respectively 9/12 (vs Alpe & Esh) so far.

Alpe d'Huez said:
GB@CHI - Not completely confident of this pick.
BUF@HOU - Meh
Tenn@IND - Lock
CAR@BAL - Panthers exposed a bit last week.
DET@NYJ - I still somewhat like the Jets, but Detroit's passing game could be trouble for them.
TB@PITT - Lock 2
MIA@OAK (London) - Go Raiders!
JAX@SD - Lock 3
PHI@SF - Oooh, this should be fun!
ATL@MIN - Meh
NO@DAL - Dallas can and will lose this.
NE@KC - I like the way the Chiefs are playing, now at least.

I'm starting to look like Foxxy with all the home team picks. :)

Not enough... Your away picks failed, more or less. :D

7/12

Eshnar said:
GB@CHI
BUF@HOU
TEN@IND
CAR@BAL
DET@NYJ
TB@PITT
MIA@OAK (London)
JAX@SD
PHI@SF
ATL@MIN
NO@DAL
NE@KC

7/12

Amsterhammer said:
NYG @ WASH

Amsterhammer said:
NYG @ WASH - :eek:
GB @ CHI – Really tough, can go either way. My daddy would have wanted me to pick Da Bears.
BUF @ HOU – “Meh” is a good response to this game, unless you support one of these.
TEN @ IND – Home banker.
CAR @ BAL – Ravens to rule at home, but not quite a banker.
DET @ NYJ - Could be close, I'll go Lions.
TB @ PITT – Another home banker.
MIA @ OAK (London) – Fins must be good enough for these sad Raiders.
JAX @ SD - I hate the Bolts, they always **** me up, but this must be another home banker.
ATL @ MIN – Pfft. Anyone care?
PH I @ SF – No problem picking here since I hate the Iggles.
NO @ DAL – “Dallas can and will lose this.” Nicely put, Alpe.
NE @ KC - Could go either way.

7/13 respectively 7/12

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow! Who here saw any of the Pitt-TB game? Who on the planet thought Tampa wold win? In Pittsburgh? With Mike Glennon at QB? In a big 4th quarter comeback at the last second?

Certainly not me. ;)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Who here thought Dallas would completely blow out New Orleans? As in, game over in the 2nd quarter, cmpletely stifling the Saints offense?

That the Vikings would lose Bridgewater, not have Cassel (or Peterson) and put up 41 points on Atlanta? Plus shut down Matt Ryan in the 4th quarter?

Here, somehow. HFA+™ told me. :D

And, whoever starts at RB is irrelevant to teams losing or not, if he can run fast forward and cut. And that is true for 99.8 % of all drafted, undrafted, free agent RBs who ever stepped onto a NFL field.

BTW, Asiata and McKinnon combined to rush for 213 yards on 38 tries (5.6 Y/R !!)

Alpe d'Huez said:
Plus, there are the naysayers who say Glennon has a noodle arm (one of them right here on this site) and not good enough for the NFL.

Could have named me. Everybody knows it´s me saying that. And I won´t change my mind b/c of one game. The cold hard sad fact is that Glennon can´t make all the throws needed in the NFL. The cold hard fact radar gun showed a measly 49 mph ball speed at the combine. At best he´ll become a 2/3 QB in the future. Let him play against defenses like SEA, and he´ll get pulverized. If Lovie Smith started the season with a 35 yr old journeyman, that says a lot in itself about the quality of his back-up...

Alpe d'Huez said:
And what kind of career did Davey have? Compared to, say, Luck?

I thought I explained it a hundred times why-where-what-when low drafted/undrafted back-up QBs never really get a chance unless luck propells them into a starter role (IOW a injury to the opening day starter. Without that there is no Plunkett, Warner, Brady, Fitzpatrick and else stories) and thus gives them the needed reps and game speed experience... If that post came by somebody, ok. But from you Alpe? I am disappointed.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I remember Kyle Boller and his amazing arm doing a similar trick as Davey.

I only remember the myth about it. Never saw it or have other first-hand witness. And even if true, that he threw from one knee from the midfield to the goal posts. That´s not exactly 75 yards, but more like 60. A small difference of only 20%.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Jamarcus Russell, and Jim Druckenmiller, who had a canon and freakish strength and someone once said could throw from goal line to goal line (a lie, obviously), but he had a huge arm.

Russell is a mystery to not only me, but basically everybody else who praised him before being drafted (no, not only the Raiders, even scouts from other teams said he had the most impressive pre draft workouts a QB ever had). What was his problem? IIRC it was said he had bad work ethics. Maybe the monster signing bonus spoiled the kid. Who knows?

Druckenmiller? We have been there before. I don´t know much about him, actually close to zero. But I trust you of saying he had a monster arm....
Maybe the wrong system? I don´t know. Who needs a super strong armed QB when the playbook consists of like 95% five yard slant ins? Don´t get me wrong. The system worked to perfection with the guys transacting it on the field... Don´t wanna take away anything from Jerry Rice & Co...

Alpe d'Huez said:
The problem is, these guys were 1/3, maybe 2/3 at best. There are a LOT of canon armed QB's who are 1/3. Football history is littered with them. There are also a fair amount of 2/3 QB's who have won a lot of games. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning come to mind.

There are also 0/3 QBs who made it onto NFL rosters, even got some RS starts. :eek: Why and how? I don´t know. It´s a mystery to me how the likes of Frye and McNown made the NFL.

So, kindly asking: What is you really wanna telling me?
I have said many times that arm strength is not everything. All I said, is that the strong armed QBs should have an advantage over the same talented but weaker armed QBs.
A strong armed John Elway is simply a better version than a fictional butter armed Elway.
And for every strong armed QB bust, there is a ton of butter armed QB busts. The books are full of such guys in the long history of the NFL.

Anyway: Peace. We don´t have to agree on everything. Right?! :)

Oldman said:
Was KC that good tonight or New England's line that porous? I kept watching to see the answer.

I did not get to watch too much of the game, nor any NFL game this weekend. So just speaking from past, NE OLine is not good, and they gave away their best OLineman here recently. Even so, Garapolo (butchered that spelling I'm sure) looked good. But NE is not going to ask Garapolo to do many of the things Brady does. So they had Garapolo getting the ball out of his hand quickly, and he did a nice job. So my questions are (before I finish your question):
1. Why don't they game plan to have Brady get the ball out of his hands quicker?... and
2. Is there are underlying theme in NE that goes something like: the HC and front office know NE needs to rebuild, and are hoping for Brady to retire? I mean they just gave away their best OLineman, and they have an apparent heir in Garapolo. And if I was rebuilding, I'd start with the OLine (e.g. like Dallas did), some WR/TE targets, and defense, in whichever order the talent in FA and draft dictates.

Back to the question - KC defense is OK, but they have two really good edge rushers and DLinemen with good moves. An inside pass rush kills Brady. And KC has DLinemen with good outside-in moves (like swim moves). History has shown if you get in Brady's face he gets rattled and can be undone.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
All I said, is that the strong armed QBs should have an advantage over the same talented but weaker armed QBs.
A strong armed John Elway is simply a better version than a fictional butter armed Elway.

I'll just throw out this bone, generally speaking that should be so. However, arm strength and talent are not the only ingredients for a great QB. Intangibles is another ingredient... leadership, how to study film (as in Alpe quote of Wilson on Glennon). Gotta bolt to work, so lots more could be said on this.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Season Standings Game Picks:

Me 38/61 vs Amster 35/61
Me 30/46 vs Alpe 28/46
Me 26/42 vs Esh 22/42
Me 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Amster 28/46 vs Alpe 28/46
Amster 24/42 vs Esh 22/42
Amster 10/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Alpe 22/38 vs Esh 20/38
Alpe 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Esh 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

The Hitch said:
You coming over here just for the game?

Getting there on Saturday and leaving on Monday.
Game is on Sunday @1.30 PM.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I did not get to watch too much of the game, nor any NFL game this weekend. So just speaking from past, NE OLine is not good, and they gave away their best OLineman here recently. Even so, Garapolo (butchered that spelling I'm sure) looked good. But NE is not going to ask Garapolo to do many of the things Brady does. So they had Garapolo getting the ball out of his hand quickly, and he did a nice job. So my questions are (before I finish your question):
1. Why don't they game plan to have Brady get the ball out of his hands quicker?... and
2. Is there are underlying theme in NE that goes something like: the HC and front office know NE needs to rebuild, and are hoping for Brady to retire? I mean they just gave away their best OLineman, and they have an apparent heir in Garapolo. And if I was rebuilding, I'd start with the OLine (e.g. like Dallas did), some WR/TE targets, and defense, in whichever order the talent in FA and draft dictates.

Back to the question - KC defense is OK, but they have two really good edge rushers and DLinemen with good moves. An inside pass rush kills Brady. And KC has DLinemen with good outside-in moves (like swim moves). History has shown if you get in Brady's face he gets rattled and can be undone.

Patriots O-Line was abysmal last night, Brady had no time whatsoever (which has been the case for the previous games too). I agree they need to start rebuilding and focus on the line. This core won't go anywhere anyway, they can maybe win their division, but they've got no chance of going to the SB.

Skill positions are very weak too. I struggle to find a worse receiving corp in the league (considering how injured Gronk looks). The RBs are both situational backs, you can't count on them for an every down role. Vereen has been asked to do something he's not capable and consequently its productions has decreased.

Garoppolo looked ok yesterday. Don't know if they're ready to bench Brady and give him the job though. I mean... benching Brady. Sounds odd if you say it. Best solution is probably try and finish the season with Brady and force him to retire.

As I predicted, the Raiders fired Dennis Allen today. I think he did well considering how bad of a team he had, holes at so many positions, so few draft picks. Still, it's no surprise. Marc Davis and Reggie McKenzie didn't hire him, and it just seemed inevitable he'd be axed. It's likely Tony Sporano, who is a players coach, will take over. Allen will likely land gently on his feet as a DC or college HC within a year.

Talk also from Oakland that Davis and the Raiders will try to woo Jon Gruden with a big check and a lot of control. Gruden and Marc Davis are apparently long time friends, and Oakland has some building blocks with Carr and Mack who both look very solid, and are finally out of salary cap hell and draft pick hell. So there's a real potential there. But last I heard Gruden was happy working MNF and his QB Camp, and didn't need the long hours and headaches of coaching. But who knows? Landing Gruden would cause a HUGE celebration in Oakland, and almost certainly go a long way towards pouring the foundation on a much needed new stadium. Figuratively cementing the Raiders in Oakland for decades to come.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So, kindly asking: What is you really wanna telling me?
Only bringing it up because it's your topic. That's all. No worries.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Even so, Garapolo (butchered that spelling I'm sure) looked good.
Most QBs playing garbage time do look good. I hate to say it, but it's somewhat true. They were not going to let him burn them with big plays.

KC does look surprisingly good. There was talk that they gave up too many good players. And others saying they got rid of players that were toxic. But both Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles looked terrific. The Patriots look shockingly lost.

Which begs the question, who is going to win the AFC East?? Look at the standings? Buffalo, Miami and NE all 2-2.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Most QBs playing garbage time do look good. I hate to say it, but it's somewhat true.

Yep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHzoD0ULs3I

SafeBet said:
Getting there on Saturday and leaving on Monday.
Game is on Sunday @1.30 PM.

So you are coming all the way over for the NFL game. Man that's dedication.

I would try it but I fear watching an NFL game in real life would be underwhelming. Difficult to see the ball, what's actually happening, long waiting periods. I feel more secure with imaginary lines drawn at the first down marker, cameras zooming in to the play, the word flag jumping onto the screen when the ref throws one, commentators saying whats going on if I blink etc.

For this week.

2 more teams that won't win the superbowl - Tenessee Titans, and Buffalo Bills. Both teams had amazing wins week 1 against vastly superior opponents away, which shows what a crapshoot week 1 is, and have since shown their 2 crappyness.

A team that will lose this week, I was gonna take Tampa, in the dome, and would even though they beat Pittsburgh, but after what I saw on Thursday, a fully rested Legion of boom, even away, on Monday Night to Kirk Cousins and the team that finished 2nd worse in the nfl last season, it ain't gonna be pretty.:cool:

To update my picks then.

Elimination Football
Hitch - Jax, Cle, Oak, Stl, Mia, TBThis week: Tenn, BB

Survival Football™.

Hitch - Jax, Jets, Minn, Tenn This week: Wash

Hitch - My experience attending many NFL games is that it depends on your seat, and it depends on what you are following when you watch the game. You see things live you don't see on TV. Mainly defensive coverages and pass routes run by receivers. If you're sitting in the end zone, you also see blocking and the way plays develop from a unique angle. My favorite stadium to see an NFL game is Century Link, in Seattle. I'd say 15% of the seat there are great. Another 75% are good to very good. But even if you're stuck in a low corner (or high corner) average seats, it can be highly entertaining if scoring drives are in your end zone. I never had a problem following the ball in any seat in any game I've seen.

Do any of you Euro guys know why the NFL doesn't play any games in Germany and none are scheduled? I tried looking online, but find little. IIRC, back in NFL Europe the largest crowds were in Germany. I realize London is London, and Wembley is an iconic stadium, it just seems to me that having one of these games on German soil would make sense.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Hitch - My experience attending many NFL games is that it depends on your seat, and it depends on what you are following when you watch the game. You see things live you don't see on TV. Mainly defensive coverages and pass routes run by receivers. If you're sitting in the end zone, you also see blocking and the way plays develop from a unique angle. My favorite stadium to see an NFL game is Century Link, in Seattle. I'd say 15% of the seat there are great. Another 75% are good to very good. But even if you're stuck in a low corner (or high corner) average seats, it can be highly entertaining if scoring drives are in your end zone. I never had a problem following the ball in any seat in any game I've seen.

Do any of you Euro guys know why the NFL doesn't play any games in Germany and none are scheduled? I tried looking online, but find little. IIRC, back in NFL Europe the largest crowds were in Germany. I realize London is London, and Wembley is an iconic stadium, it just seems to me that having one of these games on German soil would make sense.

I'm guessing they never considered it.

Also in the case of Wembley its an expensive stadium that is just sitting there 99% of the time doing nothing. It was built to host England National Football games but no team ones, so its only in use about 7 or 8 times a year if that.

It is neccesary for its owners to look for different events it can host. It is not a home football stadium of any club team, nor does it host any other events as most UK sports have their own stadiums. Wembley is always applying to host everything, including finals of European football matches.

The NFl makes sense, and they have the time to do it. Its easy to find a month or 2 month period during which it is not in use and they then have the time to make all the adjustments and everything neccesary to host an NFl game.

The rest of Europe however is far less wasteful with its stadiums. Most countries will use existing club stadiums to play National Football games, not spend 10 billion building a new one that will just stand around all the time.

Germany is one of these. All its major stadiums are in constant use by football teams that play 60 times a year, so the stadium is used on average once every week and sometimes more.

Its very difficult for say the Allianz Arena in Munich to negotiate for an NFl game 1 and a half years out when they don't know if that weekeend Bayern Munich have a football game, or maybe they have one 2 days later during the week in the European cup, or 3 days later in the national cup or another one the week after in the league.

Wembley doesn't have that problem. It can sit there and bid for every little thing its owners can think of.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Don´t know. Actually the WL was a German League with great attendance (around 25.000* per game IIRC), while London/England Monarchs folded with less than 10.000 per game in the end (before the whole league was made kaputt by NFL headquarters).

We had pre season games in the 80s. Sold out in Berlin. Every year. There is no doubt a RS season game would be sold out in a hurry, no matter if played in Frankfurt, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Cologne or Munich...

NFL is missing big time on this market.

* Now that sounds little for a league that has a 60.000 average. OTOH, there is only a handful of leagues world wide (all sports) selling 25.000 tickets per game.

BTW, seeing games live in stadium is better than TV, no matter the seat. You see the whole field...
It´s like the old german saying "better riding a bad bike than walking in super comfortable shoes" (my translation. In German it sounds sooo much better).

The Hitch said:
So you are coming all the way over for the NFL game. Man that's dedication.
First time in my life. I really had to. It's in my top3 favorite sports and I do a weekly podcast about NFL football with some friends. I've visited London plenty of times in my life so I didn't really feel the need to spend more days there.
Besides, flights from Italy are pretty cheap and I'll have friends with me so I guess we're gonna enjoy it.

If anybody wants to have a beer with us or just give advice on where to eat/drink something don't be shy!

The Hitch said:
I would try it but I fear watching an NFL game in real life would be underwhelming. Difficult to see the ball, what's actually happening, long waiting periods.

There's junk food for that.
Seriously, I know it's gonna be extremely different, but you have to try.

SafeBet said:
First time in my life. I really had to. It's in my top3 favorite sports and I do a weekly podcast about NFL football with some friends.
I usually tell people who haven't seen a live game, if you do nothing else, try studying up a little on defensive schemes, especially coverage shells and potential receiver routes. That's half the game right there.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
BTW, seeing games live in stadium is better than TV, no matter the seat. You see the whole field...
Generally agree. But I was once at a college football game in the deep corner cheap seats, and most all the scores were in the opposite end zone, so we didn't see much. But the odds of that happening are very slim. I'd much rather go to an NFL game every week than just watch on TV. As you say, you can see the entire field. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been, but being able to see the defense make constant adjustments, and the speed of the players on the field and being able to track that with your eyes is just great. No TV can show that.

It´s like the old german saying "better riding a bad bike than walking in super comfortable shoes" (my translation. In German it sounds sooo much better).
I like it! Even in English!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Generally agree. But I was once at a college football game in the deep corner cheap seats, and most all the scores were in the opposite end zone, so we didn't see much. But the odds of that happening are very slim. I'd much rather go to an NFL game every week than just watch on TV. As you say, you can see the entire field. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been, but being able to see the defense make constant adjustments, and the speed of the players on the field and being able to track that with your eyes is just great. No TV can show that.

Absolutely agree.

I know what you mean... There are some "bad" seats. I like to sit middle/upper deck at midfield. If not possible, I prefer to avoid corner seats at all costs. But even there (we had a full packed house in Düsseldorf 2002 WB, thus I had to sit corner) you can enjoy it: Seeing the field from behind is a experience I enjoyed also better than just watching it on TV.

It´s so much better to see blown coverages (from the good seats), to know that a long pass will fail (or not) when it´s in the air (on TV you just see the ball and "pray" it will be caught by the right hands)...

If I hadn´t watched Davey in stadium, I´d have never realized how much fear he gave defenses when they dropped their LBs constantly into (almost) S positions, how it opened up running lanes...

OTOH, you don´t see much of these off tackle runs. But hey, I am not much into that anyway. May it all started back in the 80s when watching Berlin Adler each week. You were just waiting for the pass in between the runs by Clarence Rambo.
I guess I was spoiled by high octane football from second one. Thus not caring much about those wasted plays up the middle. ;)

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I would try it but I fear watching an NFL game in real life would be underwhelming. Difficult to see the ball, what's actually happening, long waiting periods. I feel more secure with imaginary lines drawn at the first down marker, cameras zooming in to the play, the word flag jumping onto the screen when the ref throws one, commentators saying whats going on if I blink etc.

I have never been to an NFL game, but plenty of college football games (in the SEC it's pretty dam close to NFL anyway). You will not have any problems seeing the ball unless you look away. You could have problems seeing if you don't like to stand up and sit down a lot. That's how it is in college football at least, 3rd down, better stand up, punt, ok I'll sit down, the punt returner is gonna run the ball?!?!?!, better stand back up. Also there is almost always a large monitor at either end of the stadium which helps you catch back up if you lost track for some reason.

When you are at the game you'll get used to eye-balling about 10 yards, not to mention they have those orange marker things. Unless you are at the opposite end it's really not too difficult. Again, the large monitor will zoom in on the play a lot, many times showing replays similar to what's seen on television. Yes you will not see [FLAG] shown but you'll likely get used to scanning the field near the referees to see if there's a little yellow flag lying there, not to mention if one person notices they almost always scream about THE ****IN' REFS. Yup no commentators, thankfully there are thousands of fans doing there very on play-by-play all game long.

As for "long waiting periods"... Well it is football, an extremely slow sports with constant breaks. I think I saw something where a three hour game includes something like 8 to 12 minutes of actual play? As for what's different in person, in college you'll get the ESPN timeouts where a guy in a ESPN jacket stands on the field for 2-3 minutes staring at his watch and pauses play during that time for commercials.

Alpe's post is good too.

Side note, if anyone travels to the US and hopes to see a game, NFL games are pretty ****ing expensive, but if you go to a college football game in a major conference you can get some high quality play at generally cheaper prices. Might be a better atmosphere too, nfl has football fans, college has football fans + college fans.

For Elimination Football® this week:

St Louis, Oakland (I can pick them even if they're on a bye this week yeah?)

To add to my list:

NYG / Washington / NYJ / Dallas /Jacksonville / Minnesota /

For Reverse Survival Football™:

Jets

my current score: 2

Teams used: Titans*, Chargers*, Washington, Jacksonville

Alpe d'Huez said:
As I predicted, the Raiders fired Dennis Allen today. I think he did well considering how bad of a team he had, holes at so many positions, so few draft picks. Still, it's no surprise. Marc Davis and Reggie McKenzie didn't hire him, and it just seemed inevitable he'd be axed. It's likely Tony Sporano, who is a players coach, will take over. Allen will likely land gently on his feet as a DC or college HC within a year.

Talk also from Oakland that Davis and the Raiders will try to woo Jon Gruden with a big check and a lot of control. Gruden and Marc Davis are apparently long time friends, and Oakland has some building blocks with Carr and Mack who both look very solid, and are finally out of salary cap hell and draft pick hell. So there's a real potential there. But last I heard Gruden was happy working MNF and his QB Camp, and didn't need the long hours and headaches of coaching. But who knows? Landing Gruden would cause a HUGE celebration in Oakland, and almost certainly go a long way towards pouring the foundation on a much needed new stadium. Figuratively cementing the Raiders in Oakland for decades to come.

Most QBs playing garbage time do look good. I hate to say it, but it's somewhat true. They were not going to let him burn them with big plays.

First of all, good point on garbage time. The reads would be so much easier too. Even so, he put some zing on the ball at times.

Poor Raider players & fans. Maybe players did not like Dennis, but still it's another "RESET".

I will be surprised if Gruden returns to coach in the NFL. I think he still loves the coaching aspect (otherwise he would not do the camps), but he gets to do some coaching in the Gruden camps without all the stress. And he gets to do all the analysis & film breakdown he wants without the pressure of having to beat the next opponent.

Sciocco said:
Side note, if anyone travels to the US and hopes to see a game, NFL games are pretty ****ing expensive, but if you go to a college football game in a major conference you can get some high quality play at generally cheaper prices. Might be a better atmosphere too, nfl has football fans, college has football fans + college fans.

I'll get back at you for more info when I travel the US ;)

Attending a football game is great if you’re near the 50 yard line, and also elevated well above the field. I saw a game once at Yale Bowl. Not fun, it is or at least was then a very shallow stadium, which meant if your seat was far enough back to get good elevation, you were too far away to see the action clearly. End zone seats are the pits, even at the goal line let alone behind it. When the action is down at the other end, you can’t see anything. I can remember going to college games way back in the days when there was no live screen, and you had to depend on crowd noise or the announcer to guess what was happening.

I read a few years ago about a guy whose goal, which he was well on the way to achieving, was to watch every possible NFL matchup. That is about 500 different games, which would take him a minimum of about 30 years of regular seasons, a little less depending on how many novel matchups he could pick up in the postseason. And travelling all over the country.

Best game of the week: AZ at DE. Can the Cardinals defense shut down PM?

BAL at IND looks very interesting, too.

Survival: Past picks: MI*, NYJ, Min, TE.

This week, I’m tempted to pick the Pats to lose at home to Cincy, but I’ll go with BUF, though I don’t trust the Lions yet.

Elimination: NYG, JAX, KC, MI, BUF, StL

I add OAK (really risky choice!), TE

TRENDING THREADS